PDA

View Full Version : The Encounter\NPC Thread

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-10, 09:59 AM
So, I see a lot of threads about "Oh well what's the best way to make my barbarian" or "I have this amazing idea for a Factotum!"

Once ever three pages or so, I'll see one like "How do I take four kobolds, two pounds of ice, and eighteen large spoons and make them into a credible threat?"

In this thread, post all your neat (and gimmicky) encounter\NPC ideas.

To start, last night I realized a really neat boss battle would be to have the PCs be tracking down a cult and smash their way through a dungeon and then have the whole thing culminate with the cult's giant stone idol. Inside a few wizards are hiding (unbeknownst to the cultists) and they attack using Spectral Hands. (Because nothing says smite like a white glowing hand appearing and electrocuting the unbelievers)

EDIT: Stolen from the other thread: The NPC who is always on fire. The party will encounter him from time to time throughout the campaign, and in each situation, he will be beneficially on fire.

Milskidasith
2009-07-10, 10:36 AM
The NPC on fire thing is reminding me of Dr. Mcninja.

hewhosaysfish
2009-07-10, 11:08 AM
Once ever three pages or so, I'll see one like "How do I take four kobolds, two pounds of ice, and eighteen large spoons and make them into a credible threat?"

Kobold-Flavoured Ice-Cream-Golem?

Choco
2009-07-10, 12:09 PM
PC's are fed laxative-laced food/drink at some sort of formal function that they are attending. It is considered VERY rude to just leave, and they are trying to gain some powerful noble's favor. Sit back and watch the fun :smallamused:

-Cor-
2009-07-10, 12:19 PM
I wrote an encounter once (and please bear in mind that I was very very young) where the PCs had to traverse the lower intestine of a colossal creature.

Probably best not to ask about the logistics.

Kind of an Innerspace kinda thing.

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 12:25 PM
I wrote an encounter once (and please bear in mind that I was very very young) where the PCs had to traverse the lower intestine of a colossal creature.

Probably best not to ask about the logistics.

Kind of an Innerspace kinda thing.

An encounter. Where there creatures in there!? :smalleek:

-Cor-
2009-07-10, 12:34 PM
An encounter. Where there creatures in there!? :smalleek:

Yes... I used oozes, cubes, mephits and swarms to simulate the types of things normally found in something's intestines.

There were also a number of "acid" traps.

Yeah... it was weird... the point was this giant creature had swallowed the maguffin and the PCs were shrunk down in order to retrieve it without killing the creature. They had to be careful not to do certain things that would damage the creature they were in or despite being unconscious, it would shift and knock them all prone (if they failed their reflex saves).

TSED
2009-07-10, 12:43 PM
I am fond of AoE fort-saves required and using a bunch of undead or constructs.

Stinking Cloud never felt so good. Smelt... Is for a different topic.

Xenogears
2009-07-10, 12:47 PM
To start, last night I realized a really neat boss battle would be to have the PCs be tracking down a cult and smash their way through a dungeon and then have the whole thing culminate with the cult's giant stone idol. Inside a few wizards are hiding (unbeknownst to the cultists) and they attack using Spectral Hands. (Because nothing says smite like a white glowing hand appearing and electrocuting the unbelievers)

I too had an idea involving cultists. The idea was formed using the Fiend of possession and the Fiend of Blasphemy PrC's in the Fiend Folio. The idea was that a holy man was preaching by day and had a devil worshipping cult by night. The players would periodically encounter cultists with various SLA (Fiend of Blasphemy can donate its SLA to its cultists) and when they finally found the cult leader after defeating him they would see a shadowy demon form come out and coelesce into some kind of demon/devil (never figured out which one) who then tries to possess one of them or just materializes and attacks.

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-10, 06:28 PM
I am fond of AoE fort-saves required and using a bunch of undead or constructs.

Stinking Cloud never felt so good. Smelt... Is for a different topic.

That's a good one.

Also, it's interesting to note that Mules have over 20 HP, a +4 to hit, and two hooves to beat with on a full attack. This makes them quite good for their CR 1 rating. I only noticed this because they're listed as being twice as deadly as kobolds.

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-11, 04:27 AM
On the "gimmick" side... I had a half-red dragon half-ogre wearing half-plate and wielding a hand-and-a-half sword attack the party.

warrl
2009-07-11, 04:39 AM
On the "gimmick" side... I had a half-red dragon half-ogre wearing half-plate and wielding a hand-and-a-half sword attack the party.

Shoulda been a half-halfling.