PDA

View Full Version : Bard

Xenogears
2009-07-10, 12:38 PM
Is there any variant Bard or PrC that gains more/improves bardic music instead of spellcasting? I rather like some parts of the Bard but don't want to play a spellcaster but would feel weird having spells and not using them.

Keld Denar
2009-07-10, 12:48 PM
Like, Stormsinger or Seeker of the Song? Both are rather meh, but give you what you want. Virtuoso is also great for advancing music, and Sublime Chord also advances your music progression kinda.

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 01:01 PM
Virtuoso isn't that great, but it's the PrC that advances your bardic music the most (along with Seeker of the Song). Sublime Chord is a more minor progression for bardic music because of the spellcasting they get. Basically choose which kind of music you want to progress, seeker of the song is more combat oriented while virtuoso is a little more utility based.

JeenLeen
2009-07-10, 01:02 PM
I think there's War Chanter from Complete Warrior. Whichever PrC is before Warshaper. It's a "nongood only" PrC, I believe, and it gives some alternative bardic music abilities.

Signmaker
2009-07-10, 03:03 PM
Like, Stormsinger or Seeker of the Song? Both are rather meh, but give you what you want. Virtuoso is also great for advancing music, and Sublime Chord also advances your music progression kinda.

I unno, I personally find Control Winds to be hilarious, as well as rolling d20s for damage.

Xenogears
2009-07-10, 03:51 PM
Wheres Stormsinger from?

Keld Denar
2009-07-10, 03:56 PM
Google says its in Frostburn (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=D%26D+Stormsinger)

Zaq
2009-07-10, 05:57 PM
There are a few classes that give new bardic music abilities or bardic music-style abilities. The Seeker of the Song and Stormsinger have already been mentioned, but there's also the Dirgesinger (Libris Mortis), Warchanter (Complete Warrior), Troubadour of Stars (Book of Exalted Deeds), and Dragonsong Lyrist (Draconomicon). None of them are extraordinarily powerful by traditional standards, but they're still pretty cool. Check 'em out, see if they're what you want.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-10, 06:02 PM
I actually created a new homebrewed Bard which was based on the Invocation system rather than a traditional vatican casting system. I have to say that in the game we played it in, it was fairly effective. Once he hit 6th level and picked up Haste as an SLA at-will, the party's meat shields got a LOT nastier. Once he hit 8th and picked up Slow... yea, he was pretty nasty.

I also increased the power of the Bardic Music by providing incremental bonuses or penalties to opponents and at higher levels, it could also affect saves or AC.

Hat-Trick
2009-07-10, 06:19 PM
I think there's War Chanter from Complete Warrior. Whichever PrC is before Warshaper. It's a "nongood only" PrC, I believe, and it gives some alternative bardic music abilities.

Warchanter is non-LAWFUL, same as bard.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-10, 07:45 PM
Dread Pirate:Honorable(CAdv, IIRC) is one of the few things that advances Inspire Courage faster than normal Bard. Qualifying may be tough, however.