PDA

View Full Version : Class for a Griffon

Mongoose87
2009-07-10, 04:32 PM
So, I'm playing in a campaign where monstrous characters are greatly encouraged. Recently, my DM announced that our current system, in which dead characters come back minutes later, slightly less sane, will be replaced by the standard "dead is dead" system, and there is no resurrection/raise dead available in our locale. So, considering my character is both reckless and lacking a constitution score (he's a vampire spawn), and he's managed to die at least once every session but one, I'm planning my backup, for his inevitable demise.

I want to try a griffin. I think it would be new an unusual. However, after I finish my ten levels of Griffon (thank you, Savage Species), what class(es) would you recommend I proceed in?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-10, 04:34 PM
So, I'm playing in a campaign where monstrous characters are greatly encouraged. Recently, my DM announced that our current system, in which dead characters come back minutes later, slightly less sane, will be replaced by the standard "dead is dead" system, and there is no resurrection/raise dead available in our locale. So, considering my character is both reckless and lacking a constitution score (he's a vampire spawn), and he's managed to die at least once every session but one, I'm planning my backup, for his inevitable demise.

I want to try a griffin. I think it would be new an unusual. However, after I finish my ten levels of Griffon (thank you Savage Species), what class(es) would you recommend I proceed in?

Keep it simple. Barbarian for rage and Fighter for extra feats.

Tokiko Mima
2009-07-10, 04:38 PM
Warlock? I mean, you can already fly and this would add eyebolts and invisibility to your list of powers. Plus you can use light barding without a penalty. :smallsmile:

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-10, 04:38 PM
Warblade!

Totemist!

Swordsage!

Factotum (not really)!

Mongoose87
2009-07-10, 04:40 PM
Keep it simple. Barbarian for rage and Fighter for extra feats.
I was considering this, but the Fang Dragon in the party already has this exact build, and I would feel like a douche being identical.

RTGoodman
2009-07-10, 04:45 PM
Hmm... what about Paladin? There's a feat called Serenity that lets you use Wis instead of Cha for your Paladin abilities, and you could take the Charging Smite variant from PHB2 instead of getting a mount. You already get pounce, so you can focus on charging smites with Shock Trooper and such. Probably no Combat Expertise or Tripping or anything because of that Int penalty (geez, what is that, -6?), but you can take the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion to get all of your Paladin spells as swift actions. Plus, you get all those sweet [Divine] feats.

Glyde
2009-07-10, 04:50 PM
Obviously, play a wizard and get a monocle.

Mongoose87
2009-07-10, 04:53 PM
Obviously, play a wizard and get a monocle.

Despite the awesome inherent in this idea, I think a -6 to INT makes it unlikely.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-07-10, 04:53 PM
I was considering this, but the Fang Dragon in the party already has this exact build, and I would feel like a douche being identical.

How about something to give you self-buffing spell casting like psychic warrior or cleric or battle sorcerer. And I kind of like the idea of having feather fall like affect for a flying critter.

Or Dragon 314 had a aerial flavored cleric like class called Purebreath Devotee. You can take a look at the two first levels and the spell list (with feather fall) here http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Prestige.pdf

There was also a Wind Walker Druid variant in Dragon 311 that is air-flavored, feather fall 1/day at 2nd level, aerial animal companion, etc. See start of it here http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf

Mr.Moron
2009-07-10, 04:56 PM
A martial adept is probably your best bet. Those Griffon levels are a lot of dead weight and they put anything that costs or with abilties strictly tied to class level out the window.

Up to 7th-level maneuvers are still in your grasp. Assuming you go Griffon 10/Martial Adept 10. You've got a huge racial bonus on jump checks, and can produce a lot of attacks. Maybe something Tiger Claw is up your alley.

(this is just an off the top of my head response, I actually gotta look at the griffon class progression before I can give any *real* suggestions)