PDA

View Full Version : New magical ability for a weapon

Umael
2005-11-08, 11:57 PM
Quick background:

In Rokugan, there is a feat called Void Use. It grants a character 2 Void Points per day to spend to add +2 to one roll. Typicial example: someone would spend a Void Point to get a +2 to hit. Other feats increase the amount of Void Points a character has to spend and the Inkyo class has a class bonus to make the bonus gained through use of the Void Points higher (this is an important point later on).

Also, in Rokugan, the human bonus feat most always be either Void Use or an Ancestor Feat. Hence, Void Use is extremely common.

I introduced a magical weapon ability called Void striking. A character using one weapon with this ability would spend a Void Point and gain an additional +3 to the weapon's magical bonus for that round. Hence, a + 1 katana of Void striking becomes a +4 katana for one round. For a calculated market value (i.e., how much this would be worth), I put the bonus at +1 (on par with things like flaming or bane, which I believe it is).

If this magical bonus would go above +5, I simply changed each bonus point above five into 1d6 of extra (Void) damage. Thus, a +4 katana of Void striking would become a +5 katana that dealt +2d6 points of Void damage for 1 round.

If a character had a class ability that allowed for a greater Void bonus (i.e., each expenditure of a Void Point would result in a +3 bonus to the roll, or +4, or +5...), I would extend the number of rounds by one for each additional point (i.e., Void bonus - 1 = # of rounds).

My question is: what would it take for a spellcaster to create an item with the Void striking magical ability?

idksocrates
2005-11-09, 02:49 AM
if its only a +1 enhancment, then requirements would be low. Maybe greater magic weapon spell? Mabye just magic weapon would be okay.

Rigeld
2005-11-09, 08:01 AM
and the void use feat obviously..

Umael
2005-11-09, 12:02 PM
Sounds good.

What would be the caster level requirement?

idksocrates
2005-11-09, 11:26 PM
What are the prerequisites for the feat Void Use? If it is low prerequisites, Caster level 5 should do. If its a mid level feat, Caster level 10. I double its any higher than that.

adanedhel9
2005-11-10, 12:43 AM
What would be the caster level requirement?

Most items don't have an explicit caster level requirement. If you want to give your enhancement an explicit caster level requirement, then you can. But note that the only item in the DMG with this requirement (I think) is the Ioun Stones.

Douglas
2005-11-10, 12:47 AM
Most items don't have an explicit caster level requirement. If you want to give your enhancement an explicit caster level requirement, then you can. But note that the only item in the DMG with this requirement (I think) is the Ioun Stones.

Take another look. EVERY item has a caster level requirement.

adanedhel9
2005-11-10, 01:03 AM
Take another look. EVERY item has a caster level requirement.

Then why is the CLx seperated (by a semicolon) from the list of (comma-seperated) requirements?

And why do the Ioun Stones explicitly state, as part of the requirements, that the "creator must be 12th level"?

And why does Monte Cook, who has the first line on the DMG credit page, think otherwise (http://www.montecook.com/arch_dmonly3.html#casterlevel)?

Umael
2005-11-10, 01:33 AM
What are the prerequisites for the feat Void Use? If it is low prerequisites, Caster level 5 should do. If its a mid level feat, Caster level 10. I double its any higher than that.

Void Use has no prerequisite (I mentioned something in my first post about this - the bonus feat humans get in Rokugan must go for Void Use or an Ancestor Feat).

Caster level 5 seems about right.