PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite character build? D&D 3.5

Anondurl
2009-07-10, 05:40 PM
Just a simple question. What is your favorite character build to play and what do you think is the best. Don't feel restricted to use just the core rulebooks, branch out a bit.

For example, my favorite character build to play is a class my friend "beholder1995" and I created, the Crossbowman. However I believe the best character build would involve the still casting feat and levels in fighter, wizard, cleric, eldritch knight, and finally, mystic theurge.

What's your favorite? :smallbiggrin:

Harperfan7
2009-07-10, 06:15 PM
Scout-Skillmonkey/Gish light.

Sneaking, with some utility magic. Love it.

Specifically, Scout/Transmuter/Swift Blade is probably my favorite combination.

arguskos
2009-07-10, 06:38 PM
Well, the objectively best build in all of D&D 3.5 is Pun-Pun. If we're discounting infinities, then perhaps Chuck is the best. Or perhaps Cindy. Either way, they're sooooo far beyond reason that it's wisest to ignore the "best" builds.

My favorite? Dvati Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/whatever X. Why? Because I love the roleplaying value.

ChaosDefender24
2009-07-10, 06:42 PM
feral amphibious anthropomorphic giant squid soul eater.

no explanation necessary

Tafkan
2009-07-10, 06:47 PM
Single-class paladin. It may not be particulary effective, but I like it plain and simple and LG.

Aneantir
2009-07-10, 06:48 PM
Personally, I like:
Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Knight Phantom 10/Abjurant Champion 4

It's my current BBEG of a game I'm running. He's a Grey Elf Lich with FMI, and he is a truck.

NEO|Phyte
2009-07-10, 06:51 PM
Hmm, my favorite 3.5 build...

HMM. Tricky question. Sort of a tossup between Agdor Loathestone (Dwarven Psychic warrior/Elocater), Ferah (Thri-kreen Warblade/Bloodclaw master/Bloodstorm blade), Malous (Psiforged Telepath/Thrallherd), and Fisto (Warforged Unarmed swordsage). It's also entirely possible that I'm forgetting a few, as I know I've had some zany character ideas.

sombrastewart
2009-07-10, 06:54 PM
My favorite build would probably be my epic rogue. I played up him, level by level to 26, and he's a mix of Rogue, Thief-Acrobat, Exemplar and Void Incarnate with the Dark template, built to be the best thief possible.

Wings of Peace
2009-07-10, 06:57 PM
Factotum straight or mixed I just absolutely love the class mechanically and conceptually.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-10, 07:00 PM
TWF Rogue 3/Fighter 7 with Improved Feint to get them flat-footed and bring the pain. TWFing with short swords makes the most sense, but I prefer dual wielding dagger-gauntlets just for the look.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-10, 07:00 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6404306&postcount=47)

Mr.Moron
2009-07-10, 07:08 PM
I really couldn't choose one, honestly. So many different fun things you can do so many different ways. It's impossible to choose, I say.

I'm going to be picking up on playing a

Cleric 4/Church Inquisitioner 3/PrC Paladin 1(+2)/(Fist of Raziel 10)

That is looking to be very fun and has done passably in simulation. It's got all of that wonderful paladin flavor & feel with all the copious amounts of terrible.
(Levels yet-to-be-achieved)

Gorgondantess
2009-07-10, 07:16 PM
Sorceror/Duskblade/Abj. Champ. Terrible MAD, but god it's fun.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-10, 07:31 PM
For me, it's a tricky tossup between:

Ranger 2/Barbarian 2/Spirit Shaman 16 (Tough MAD)
-or-
Wizard 4/Warblade 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 1/Abjurant Champion 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 2-10

I love a strong blend of steel and magic, and it really depends on my mood if I want to go with nature magic or arcane magic.

Keld Denar
2009-07-10, 07:53 PM
Barbarian2/Fighter2/Duskblade2/SuelArcanamach4/AbjurantChampion5/Spellsword1/DragonDisciple4

More fun than a barrel of monkeys. You are a caster, except not, except so! Bite of the Were-X and GOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Gorbash
2009-07-10, 07:54 PM
Transmuter/Earth Dreamer/Archmage (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=589)

My favourite character and build, for that matter, high-lvl batmen are everything people say they are.

Master_Rahl22
2009-07-10, 08:11 PM
Mine is probably some form of Dervish. I love the flavor and mechanics of that PrC, and just about any way to get there works for me. I've done it with Swashbuckler3/Fighter2/DervishX and I've even done Bard4/Fighter4/DervishX just cause I liked the skill points and a few utility spells.

Eldritch_Ent
2009-07-10, 08:13 PM
Wizard/7 Fold veils Initiate/Fatespinner.

Never actually did anything proactive, except be the party Diviner/Abjurer/Conjuror. In battles, he'd just stand there and not die while rarely throwing out buffs and negating criticals and such. Party loved him anyway since he was also the item crafter.

He was a kobold and considered the party mascot since he was "good luck to have around". I took Initiate after fatespinner, and once saved a party member by shrinking down, entering his square, and using my veil to defend us both.

Dhavaer
2009-07-10, 08:13 PM
Hexblade 2/Warblade 6/Suel Arcanamach 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Dragonslayer 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 4/Dragon Disciple 1. Because.

Brauron
2009-07-10, 08:20 PM
I've had a LOT of fun with a couple different Duskblades wielding Bastard Swords. Basically, the key idea in building the character was "how versatile can I get without becoming ineffectual."

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-10, 08:23 PM
Changeling Factotum Chameleon. Why pick one build when you can pick all of them?

Aron Times
2009-07-10, 08:29 PM
By "favorite", I assume the build that a sane DM would actually allow.

Battle Sorcerer 20.

I like the simplicity of this build. Its power level can be increased with a couple of prestige class dips, but this single-class build is still very powerful.

Eldariel
2009-07-10, 08:32 PM
Wow, a record: First time I actually have a definite answer to a "your favourite X"-question!

So, my favourite build: At the present it's Ranger 2/Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Warblade 6/Eternal Blade 10 simply because of the amount of work I've done around the general Eternal Archer-chassis; a character just as dangerous 1000' away as he is in melee, and an archer implementing ToB while at it.

I also love the utter lack of magic in the character (the whole character has exactly one Su-ability, and that's his Blade Guide which is really nothing more Su than "spirit mentor" or "that voice in my head"), while he's still able to bring power to bear. Given sufficient stats (preferably two 18s; at least 2 16s; rest don't really matter although some Con and Int is nice, so I wouldn't play him in under 32pb), he's even playable without magic items throughout the levels due to a variety of non-magical bonuses he gets over time (although unfortunately he'll lack Dancing Mongoose and Raging Mongoose that way).

Of course, I love a ton of different builds but I care more for classes than specific builds since builds are something I like doing on the fly when I have a sharper image of what I want out of my character.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-10, 08:40 PM
I'd say I don't really have a favored build honestly >.<

I do have a favored style of character, but their builds all vary greatly despite having the same ultimate goal. I usually build what would be in MMOspeak, "Light Tank" type characters.

Ie: Front-line melee combatants who's focus is on damage first, defense second.

Like I said though, the specific method of going about this varies enormously.

Telonius
2009-07-10, 09:58 PM
Rogue19/Master of Masks 1

Vaynor
2009-07-10, 10:34 PM
I tend to play a ranged fighter/ranger or a bard. One of my favorite characters to date was a multi-classed bard/cleric. Not terribly effective (too low level to be) but he was a lot of fun to play.

ghost_warlock
2009-07-10, 10:48 PM
Toss up between a couple:

Psion (egoist) 6/Ghostbreaker1 4/Slayer 10
or
Shadowmage2 10/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Dread Witch 5
1 found in Hyperconscious
2 see sig

Zain
2009-07-10, 10:54 PM
Dwarf wizard5/runesmith5/Arcmage10

amour magic fun1

L'intrigant
2009-07-10, 11:11 PM
As a departure from my usual EVIL!drow characters, I made an ambiguously-naughty ranger 5/bloodhound 10/assassin 5. He was a slaver/bounty hunter who could either snipe people dead or take them alive to sell. What fun!

Optimator
2009-07-11, 12:11 AM
My favorite is Scout3 Ranger 17 with Swift Hunter. Good skills, decent damage with Greater Multishot, all the great Ranger archery spells, Hide in Plain Sight, and a nearly full BAB with good saves to boot. The lack of the bonus feat from the forth Scout level can be painful at the time, but I like to wait it out in order to get Hide in Plain Sight eventually. Depends on the time line of the campaign, I suppose.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-11, 12:48 AM
Well, I prefer the more... subtle builds.

There's my Cleric/RSoP who DMM Chain Spell's buffs to the entire party. Mass Mind Blank FTW! Personally, not a whole lot of power (although DMM Chain Heal is good if the whole party gets hit by nasty AE), but when he drops Chain GMW/MV/Greater Heroism/Mind Blank on the party... with DMM Chain Death Ward and DMM Chain Freedom of Movement loaded and ready to use if necessary... yea, the party sometimes feels like someone put in cheat codes for them.

Then there's one of my first Core builds: Rogue/Sorcerer/Arcane Trickster. Okay, so it's not the most optimized build , but boy was it a hell of a lot of fun! Ranged Prestidigitation had a thousand and one uses for the clever prankster...

Warlock6/Rogue14 is a fairly strong build, with sneak attack on EB, taking 10 on UMD, and Flight (ring of Invisibility took care of the invis-at-will)

The Joker Bard in my sig is a deliciously evil BBEG build I rather enjoy.

Changeling Rogue (sub on 1st level to Take 10 on all social skills) 10/Exemplar5/Warlock5. Dice? Who needs dice? I can take 10 on all skill checks.

Sorcerer/Favored Soul/Mystic Theurge/War Weaver. Sure, he's hardly optimized, but hey... he makes a party feel good.

Oh yes, Pip Squeak, my character I used in the Test Your Might trial. Rogue/Swordsage/Bloodclaw Master/Nightsong Enforcer. TWF melee build, dished out hundreds of damage in one round at level 12.

Narthlotep
2009-07-11, 12:59 AM
Personally, I dislike third edition and later, but my preferred build was more for backstory than being overpowered, Bard 5/ Barbarian 15. You get some utility magic, along with a lot of brawn.. plus it's funny in my opinion to have the party meatshield say: "You really don't want us to sick our Bard on you."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-07-11, 01:09 AM
So far the most fun I've had in a game was with Ariath Ska'vhor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=92295), and I almost figured as much because I like gishes so much and this one turned out to be crazy fun.

Yora
2009-07-11, 01:38 AM
Over about 8 years, I perfected the Ranger/Sorcerer. The first ones were really bad, but I think now I have figured out a build, that's actually quite neat.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-11, 02:16 AM
I'd say anything with Paladin on it. I really love the class, and I'd love to try different things with it.

Mostly, Paladin 4-5/Cleric (or Favored Soul) X (odd for Cleric, even for Favored Soul)/any good PrC X/Fist of Raziel 10.

More smiting, more stuff to do with smiting, permanent Magic Circle against Evil, and the capstone ability to turn any weapon into a Holy weapon and deal an extra 2d6 damage. From the biggest Fullblade or Minotaur Greathammer around, to the lowly improvised mutton bone.

I just imagine, retired and stuff (if he manages to retire), an evil opponent closing, and the ol' Paladin/Fist retaliating by throwing holy Doritos as if they were shuriken. After a liberal application of accuracy-boosting buffs per day, of course.

I second the Changeling Factotum/Chameleon, but with Master of Masks. God bless the Haberdash.

I'd also second the Bard/Sublime Chord/Virtuoso progression, just to have insane amounts of Bardic Music along with 9th level spells, and building Inspire Courage to brutal levels to kick.

Darwin
2009-07-11, 02:44 AM
Gnome Beguiler/Mindbender/Shadowcraft Mage/Incantatrix

I can't remember how many times my DM has spat curses at me from across the table whenever I was able to come up with some obscure conjuration/evocation that saved the day :smallbiggrin:

OH and he took on tons of enemies on his own. After having lost too many party members he sorta lost faith in anyone but himself, who at the time seemed omnipotent until he managed to drink some disguised Green Slime :smallfrown:

Gorbash
2009-07-11, 04:55 AM
Dwarf wizard5/runesmith5/Arcmage10

amour magic fun1

Archmage has 5 levels.

Love magic? :smallsigh:

Lord Loss
2009-07-11, 11:22 AM
Rogue/Monk!

Lycar
2009-07-11, 12:23 PM
For me, I like fighters. A lot. Because of OMG FEATS!

I swear, they are like crack! :smalleek:

1000+ feats and only a few dozen of them worth taking... :smallsigh: If I ever get into a gestalt game? Fighter/Rogue all the way. Possibly with the Feat Rogue variant... Just raw skill/talent.

Besides, at lower levels a fighter still can shine. When that extra AC from your full plate still actually means something and Power Attack isn't the be-all end-all to damage because your BAB isn't that high just yet.

And because being the tough guy, who makes most out of his single talent to hurt stuff, instead of going the weasel-way to try and unhinge the laws of physics is fun. :smallbiggrin:

Zain
2009-07-11, 12:57 PM
Love magic? :smallsigh:

love casting magic in armor:smallbiggrin:

it's like mixing :durkon: with :vaarsuvius:

Jallorn
2009-07-12, 03:20 AM
They're all fun. Gestalt Psion/Monk with Kung Fu Genius is near the top at the moment. Warlock is easily my favorite caster, although binder at higher levels is good. As for PHB 3.5 only classes, I'd have to go with rogue or bard. Rogue because sneaking is no fun in video games, and bard because there's so much awesome roleplaying potential. Plus, I think the bard should always be the party leader, or at least face.

Xenogears
2009-07-12, 03:32 AM
Would you believe straight monk? Cuz im serious...
Samurai/Rogue/Iaijutsu Master. I like Kenshin...

The_JJ
2009-07-12, 04:13 AM
Straight cleric, of whatever god I feel like worshipping. Often homebrewed gods.

only1doug
2009-07-12, 05:34 AM
Whatever I'm currently Playing is my favorite :smallbiggrin:

my previous favorite was a Kobold sorcerer / dragonhearted mage,

my current favorite is a silverbrow human duskblade5/wiz1/abj champ5/spellsword1/eldritch knightx

My next favorite will probably be a pixie warlock / (whatever the redeemed warlock class is called) / more warlock

Yrcrazypa
2009-07-12, 05:49 AM
I'm quite enjoying my rogue3/wizard5/Arcane Trickster 2 that will eventually be rogue3/wizard5/arcane trickster 10/eldritch knight 7 on a NWN2 server that I play on. He is quite fun to play, and depending on how I pick his spells, he can be anything from a front-line tank (Quite often), a skillmonkey that kills targets quickly before they notice him (somewhat often), or a wizard that kills everything before they get to him, or controls the battlefield completely. Reaching the level cap of the server of 25 will be hard, and since I'm playing him as evil that is attempting redemption, he may not survive long enough, he has had several brushes with death already.

I also like my simple Favored soul (Jergal) 20/5 Divine Champion. She is one of the toughest characters on the server to kill, just because she has insane hitpoints, and the ability to heal herself very well.

My enjoyment of these characters may be mostly out of RP value, but they are fun to play nonetheless.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-12, 05:49 AM
Gray Elf Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 7/Eternal Blade 10. Sure, I couldn't take a bunch. But I'd be damned if I couldn't kill it dead with Quick Draw, eight weapons and Iaijutsu Focus.

Ossian
2010-04-28, 09:01 AM
Given the appropriate campaign setting, half-elf with a scoundrel - commando build. Good social skills (bluff, sense motive) sudden strike or sneak attack, perceptive, quick, rugged. Ranger/Scout or Rogue/Fighter/Ranger, for example, work well for me (I take all the class variants for the no-spell, like for the ranger).

Alternatively, righteous high elf, with a paladin build verging on the gray guard-ish.

For humans I prefer straight martial builds, like monks/fighters

Jeff240sx
2010-04-28, 10:05 AM
BattleSorc4 / Swiftblade9 / AbChamp5 / Dragonslayer1.

Depending on your race/needs, pick your 20th level. Melee-focused might have gone Fighter/Ranger already, maybe Warblade at 20 to take some 5th maneuvers, or the capstone to Swiftblade.

Casters would have been a Kobold and take another level in Sorc or Swordblade for 9ths.

I really, really like it.

Could do Wiz6/Swiftblade 9 or 10 / Abchamp 4 or 5. Toss up between 9ths and capstone.
Loses a few BAB, and dies more easily in the first levels. And you need to be racial to get a weapon familiarity, I think, so it loses a feat.

Telonius
2010-04-28, 10:10 AM
Holy threadomancy, batman!

Cogidubnus
2010-04-28, 12:39 PM
My favourite's actually the barbarian someone's playing in my campaign, but I've only done a bit of 3.5. Anyway, this barbarian's barbarian 5/ fighter 2 and wears full plate, with TWF and armour spikes. It actually does make me happy to watch him decimate my encounters with his spiky hands.

monkey3
2010-04-28, 03:15 PM
Undead!

Anything with undead. If the character can turn into undead great. If it can make undead, the more the better. If it does both, better.

I love undead.

gorfnab
2010-04-29, 12:22 AM
Beguiler Beguiler - fun to roleplay and actually quite decent in capability and versatility
Warlock 4/Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3 - very fun evil build that makes DMs cringe
Rogue 3/ Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 2/ Swordsage 2/ Master Thrower 5/ Invisible Blade 5 - great for V for Vendetta quotes and is fun to have a character that only carries around daggers for weapons

gdiddy
2010-04-29, 12:36 AM
Eldritch Bob:

The Permenently Enlarged Deepspawn Thri-keen Monk 16 with Abberation Blood: Nimble Limbs and the Tall Deformity. He likes to flurry trip attempts. Then "wrastle" when you're on the ground.

Basically, he's made of nightmares and is going to lay eggs in you.

TheThan
2010-04-29, 01:25 AM
Man that is a tough question to answer. I’ve had so many fun characters. So I think I’ll just list a few:

Carmilla and Jetta hellborn

A set of twin Tieflings. They’re a pair of con artists that work the streets of sigil. They’re cunning, smart, sly and general all around scoundrels. Carmilla was a beguiler and Jetta was a rogue. I like them so much I’ve made them NPCs in games.

Tomas Dingletoes
Tomas was a gnome street magician. An illusionist by class, he was a kind and charming soul. He made a lot of kids happy, but unfortunately the campaign fell apart so he didn’t get to go far.

Faith Thardon
An Aasmar favored soul/paladin gestalt character. She was the paragon of virtue and goodness. She’s a basically a holy magic based gish like character. Basically she pulled the clericzilla trick, and smote stuff down.

Magnus
This guys is the last guy I managed to play, think we hit level twelve before we stopped playing. He was a sorcerer that I tried to play a Batman (well more like Robin) style character, and have something for all occasions, but due to our Dm hateing casters, I more or less just blasted everything.

There are several other characters I’ve forgotten the name of.

Orc barmaid (female)
For a BOEF game that never really got off the ground, she was based on punching out people. So in a way she doubled as a bouncer.

Orc barbarian
This guy was a total experience whore. The game was a monstrous campaign where everyone was using racial classes and heavy LA penalties. We had a balor, a dragon and I think a ghost among a few others. what makes this guy memorable is that I rolled 18,18,18,17,16,15 for stats, I had an orc that could cast spells (probably should have done that for the lulz).

Elf fighter
This guy was the first character I ever played pbp with. it was for some random dungeon crawl.

Human bard
He played the harmonica and sung. Was very much a ladies’ man. once again the campaign fell apart before I really got to get the character fleshed out.

BobVosh
2010-04-29, 02:11 AM
Wise fwom your gwave!

Where is our handy radiant servant of Pelor moderator?

That said I got annoyed at my PCs dying in one impossible DM's game so I made a 2 PF Paladin, 3 Sorcerer Draconic Bloodline, 5 Guildmage, 7 Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. Finish it with 3 more guildmage. Ends up with 39/21/25 saves, 49 AC, 350ish Hitpoints. Had rings of evasion and mettle. All the cheese of IotSV. I made him to live, curse that DM.

My favorite general build is anything, dervish. Normally Scout 3-5, Fighter 2, Dervish 10. Bonus points for Thri-Kreen.

goken04
2010-04-30, 02:28 PM
My favorite build is probably the guy I like to call the TWF Bastard (Sword-Wielder). Powerful, fun, and yet still involves a Samurai level.

Samurai 1/Fighter 4/Barbarian (Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy Variants) 1/Warblade 6

Ridiculous number of attacks + Leap Attack/Shock Trooper + Pounce + Storm of Flying Strikes + Maneuvers ALLLL while dual-wielding bastard swords.... Pure win.

mabriss lethe
2010-04-30, 11:01 PM
OK. so it's a bit of a necro'd thread. but I can't resist giving answer...

elan psychic warrior/soul eater (technically 3.0, but never errata'd in 3.5) with a big chunk of illithid heritage and improved energy drain feats.

Volthawk
2010-05-01, 06:25 AM
Like Mabriss said, it is necro'd, but ah well. I like templated monstrositiestm. Basically stack loads of template until you basically get something that makes people go WTF? I like Int/Cha boosters with Half-Golem :smallbiggrin:. Or, for a monster game I didn't get in, a Voidmind Stony Lolth-Touched Chimeric Horrid Multi-Headed Dire Wolf.

Critical
2010-05-01, 03:32 PM
Loving the LG Cleric 3/Church Inqusitor 2/Malconvoker 9/Rest x both flavourfully and mechanically. Fighting evil with evil for the greater good, while actually hating your style of fighting.

Sindri
2010-05-01, 11:35 PM
I have several.
What I'm currently playing is a Copper Dragonwrought Kobold Warlock, with a Succubus Cohort via Leadership. Lulz ensue.

Other fun ones include:
CE Halfling Dragonfire Adept-not the most powerful build, but highly amusing. Especially considering that the obviously evil, red scaled, 3 ft tall monster has a Bluff modifier of ridiculous due to epic Charisma and Beguiling Influence. There was a time when I massacred an entire town by convincing refugees to let me into their house for shelter, burned them all, and then "fled" to the next building amidst their screams.

In the DragonLance campaign setting, a Ghostly Tinker Gnome Master (sort of like Expert upgraded into a PC class) who possesses objects rather than people, and thus can make uber-powerful steam-powered mecha and posses them in combat, in a fantasy setting. Only problem is finding resources.

Druid/Master of Many Forms allows me to be anything (other than a Construct, Undead, or Outsider) with a move action, whenever I want.

Pixie Rogues, especially at high levels, are awesome. Yes, I'm attacking with a hatpin. Yes, it deals 1d2-1 damage. However, I'm perpetually invisible, so I add a few dozen d6 to that.

true necromancers are always fun, but every time I make one somebody else picks a paladin...

Callos_DeTerran
2010-05-02, 02:31 AM
It's a toss-up...

On one hand, straight Warblade focusing exclusively on mastery of the sword (in the OOC and IC sense, which means Iron Heart focus and an acquired love of hobgoblin cooking in my mind).

Then there was a gestalt build I created a bit back for a game on the boards. It was, in essence, a recreation of Davey Jones from PotC but god was it fun (not too effective though).

Honestly, my favorite build would probably be one of the 'Reshar' builds floating around that give access to all nine level nine maneuvers at 20th level.

Volthawk
2010-05-02, 02:33 AM
Then there was a gestalt build I created a bit back for a game on the boards. It was, in essence, a recreation of Davey Jones from PotC but god was it fun (not too effective though).

Was it a mind flayer?

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-02, 09:19 AM
Sheriff: Thread necromancy.