PDA

View Full Version : The Aegis (3.5 PRC, PEACH)

Admiral Squish
2009-07-10, 11:28 PM
I think you all remember the 'using 2 shields' thread a few days back that broke out into a long-winded flamewar. Somewhere in the middle, I decided I needed to write this class up because the aesome concept needs some support, and none of the other homebrews seemed quite what I was looking for. Anyway, here it is.

Intro

Aegis
To all warriors, there is a fine line they walk. Defense and offense. Protecting one's allies and striking one's foes. Some warriors choose to focus only on the offense, but the Aegis is different. Aegis are those who have keenly felt the loss of an ally in battle, and refuse to allow it to happen again.

Requirements
Alignment: Any Good.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Proficiencies: Must be proficient with all shields, and tower shields.
Feats: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization
Special: Must have seen an ally die in combat

Aegis
Hit Dice: d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Guard Stance, Dual-Shield Defense.

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Dual-Shield Offense, Phalanx Guard

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Dual-Shield Defense, None Shall Pass

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Dual-Shield Offense, Living Wall

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Unbreakable[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int per level) Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), and Swim (Str)

Guard Stance: (Ex)
An Aegis can lower themselves into a defensive stance, allowing them to withstand attacks and hold their ground against oncoming attackers. This stance grants them a +4 dodge bonus to AC, +2 to all saves, and +4 to checks to resist bull rush, trip, disarm, or grapple attempts. They also gain DR /- equal to their Aegis level as long as they are in the stance. They may activate this stance as a move action 1/day for every level they have of Aegis, and lasts a number of rounds equal to 5 + their constitution modifier. This stance cannot be assumed unless the Aegis is wielding nothing but shields.

Dual-Shield Defense: (Ex)
The Aegis has mastered a technique of using a shield in each hand to protect themselves and their allies. At first level, the Aegis can benefit from the full AC bonus of the shield worn on his primary hand, and the non-magical AC bonus of all other shields at once. At third level, the aegis enjoys the full bonuses of all their shields.

Dual-Shield Offense (Ex)
The Aegis has learned ways of making attacks with his shields especially painful. At second level, if the aegis hits the same enemy with both shields, they must make a fortitude save (DC=10+class level+str) or be dazed for one round. If the Aegis is in guard stance, the target is stunned instead. At fourth level, any opponent charging an aegis provokes an AoO. If this attack hits, they are subject to a fortitude save (DC=10+class level+str) or be stunned for one round. If the Aegis is in guard stance, the attack deals double damage in addition to the stunning effect.

Phalanx Guard (Ex)
At second level, as an immediate action, an Aegis can lose the AC bonus from one or more of their shields to grant it as a shield bonus to an adjacent ally. These bonuses still stack when applied to an ally.

None Shall Pass (Ex)
At third level, when in their guard stance, an Aegis' threatened area is treated as difficult terrain for the purposes of movement and tumble checks. The Aegis can choose to allow an ally to pass without hindrance.

Living Wall (Ex)
At fourth level, an Aegis is always considered improved cover instead of soft cover.

Unbreakable(Su)
At fifth level, an Aegis reaches the peak of their defensive capabilities. The Aegis gains SR and PR 10+character level, and their shields cannot be targeted by any damage-dealing effects or attacks.

So, comments? What can I do to make this work better? I know I don't have class skills up yet, but I'm kinda posting this in a hurry.

DracoDei
2009-07-10, 11:41 PM
Random thoughts:

Seems to me that Improved Shield Bash would be pretty obvious of a requirement (or alternatively something to give at first level).

I might put a lot of the same movement limits on their defensive stance as is on the Dwarven Defender's.

Have you seen my "Blocker" feat? If you do limit their movement, that (and the improved version) might make counterbalancing bonus feats.

Looks like a pretty high-powered class... I would consider not giving them good reflex saves.

Bergor Terraf
2009-07-11, 12:06 AM
I like the concept (i always had a soft spot in my heart for shield bashing). I must say, however that a tought Dual-Shield Offense would givee a kind of two-weapon fighting, kind of like the feat agile shield fighter.

Madra Rua
2009-07-11, 12:11 AM
Question: Would the DR from the stance stack with DR from other things? Such as the barbarian DR or racial. I agree that reflexes shouldnt be great, and there should be some penalty to movement while in the stance. Would it make a difference at all to the class(other than AC) if the character used bucklers or tower sheilds? That would complicate things, yes, but it would make sense.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-11, 12:17 AM
I might put a lot of the same movement limits on their defensive stance as is on the Dwarven Defender's.

No, no, no. Mobility is the corner stone of melee combat in D&D. If you remove the ability to close with the enemy then you've severely gimped a melee fighter.

My suggestion for the class is give them scaling SR/PR instead of flat 20. 10+Hit Dice is the norm, as far as I recall. You also might want to require TWF as a feat.

Anxe
2009-07-11, 12:19 AM
I'd make it a d10 HD. And it needs more requirements. I can't think of any right now. Maybe the Hold the Line feat?

EDIT: Weapon Focus(Shield) would be another good one to do.

boomwolf
2009-07-11, 05:08 AM
Could turn real ugly if its a <random melee> 5/Aegis 5/Immortal 10 (in my sig)

That alone makes it wothwhile in my book.

Anyway, the "Dual Shield Offense" does not seem to require two shields to pull off. and its also quite narrow.
Maybe make it wider use and requite two shields? for example-if you hit with an AoO (ANY AoO) they are dazed for 1 round, if you hit with TWO shields they they become stunned for 1d4 rounds? make it much more powerful, flexible and making two shields count.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-11, 05:42 PM
Maybe it should just be if they hit the same target with both shields in a single round, they get dazed, and at fourth it upgrades to stunned.

I made it a D12 because this guy, one way or another, is going to be putting himself in the way of a whole lot of danger and every HP counts. I suppose with all the extra AC, though, that wouldn't be strictly necessary.

You're probably right on the reflex save, though, I'll be nerfing that down.

I'm considering a prerequisite of 'must have seen an ally die in combat'.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-12, 03:58 PM
Now, I'm not sure what dual shield offensive should do at fourth level now. Perhaps apply the same save or daze effect to all shield bashes, and save or stun to all shield bashes made in guard stance?

Bergor Terraf
2009-07-12, 07:18 PM
Maybe add some kind of rend damage if you hit with both shield. this damage could be added to the DC for the daze/stun check.

Vaynor
2009-07-12, 07:21 PM
Maybe add some kind of rend damage if you hit with both shield. this damage could be added to the DC for the daze/stun check.

Just wondering, how would a shield...rend.

Bergor Terraf
2009-07-12, 07:36 PM
Just wondering, how would a shield...rend.

... shield spikes?

But seriously, you could just call it concusion damage or something like that. I used rend as an exemple because thats the first term that poped in my head

Tohek
2009-07-12, 11:59 PM
Admiral Squish, I like the way this Prestige Class is set up. One thing that popped out at me, though, was how the Aegis receives full BAB as a fighter or other martial class might.

While I understand that they are a martial character, I think it would bean interesting drawback to have a less than full BAB, perhaps as the Monk base class.

This would be an appropriate representation of the way in which the Aegis has sacrificed some offensive capabilities in order to become better at defense of h(im/er)self and others.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-13, 01:32 AM
Hmmm... You have a point. I might just do that. It seems a little on the powerful side to me right now, and that might be a good step towards balance.