PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) One-handed reach weapons?

koeldflare
2009-07-11, 12:59 AM
I have a question that I hope someone can help me answer:

Are there any 1-handed reach weapons, or is there a way to turn a 2-handed reach weapon into a 1-handed weapon?

If you can think of any weapon list the book it's in if you can! Thanks!

Tackyhillbillu
2009-07-11, 01:09 AM
Kusarigama: DMG, page 144. Only one that comes to mind.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-11, 01:11 AM
Spinning Sword, Secrets of Sarlona. One-Handed, can be used with Power Attack. Essentially a Spiked Chain that can be dual-wielded and not require a Dex score (though you can Finesse the Spinning Sword too). You lose out on the trip and disarm bonuses though.

Beats being a Light weapon 60% of the time.

ColdSepp
2009-07-11, 01:18 AM
A whip? :smallwink:

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-11, 01:23 AM
A whip? :smallwink:

Not an efficient reach weapon. It sucks past 2nd level, and even against 1st level enemies (anything that wears armor wins automatically).

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-11, 01:41 AM
Ah, but a whip dagger works. One of my favorite weapons to use with a Duskblade.

John Campbell
2009-07-11, 10:25 AM
Lance, if you're mounted.

Whips don't threaten, so while they may technically count as reach weapons, they aren't actually usable for a lot of the things reach weapons are good for.

I believe, by the rules, a reach weapon of inappropriate size remains a reach weapon, and reach is determined by the character's size, not the weapon's, so you can (assuming you're Medium) use a Small two-handed reach weapon as a one-handed weapon at the cost of a -2 to hit penalty and a damage die size, or even a Tiny one as a light weapon at -4 and two die sizes, and still have reach with it.

As DM, I might throw books at people for trying that, but on the other hand it makes it possible to actually use the historically-popular shield and longspear form.

L'intrigant
2009-07-11, 10:36 AM
It's kinda horrendous, but there's a PrC called a Cavestalker in Drow of the Underdark. If you already have two-weapon fighting from ranger levels, Cavestalker gives you the ability to wield a spiked chain one-handed at 4th level.