PDA

View Full Version : Shojo, the cat, and The search for Spock

Ghostwheel
2009-07-11, 03:19 AM
Is there a game-mechanically valid way that Shojo could have transfered his soul/spirit/intellect into the cat at the instant of his death?

As side question: Why was there no effort to raise Shojo?
EDIT: I forgot that strip, ignore this side question, please.
(Thanks, Hands Of Blue!)

The first question is still open....

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-07-11, 03:21 AM
There was, he didn't want to come back (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html).

Ancalagon
2009-07-11, 03:53 AM
Is there a game-mechanically valid way that Shojo could have transfered his soul/spirit/intellect into the cat at the instant of his death?

I'd say the cat so far behaved pretty much like you would expect from a cat and not that much like "a person in a cat". Mr. Scruffy is a bit active and non-catish in fights, on the other hand, we play D&D and Belkar is a Ranger and you could consider Mr. Scruffy his animal companion. So that's also no issue.

I'd conclude from the shown Mr-Scruffy-behaviour: Shojo is dead and gone.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-11, 08:39 AM
Yeah, interesting theory, but no. One of the first things Shojo's spirit says right before giving Belkar the keys to good health and ass-kicking is that he was *looking* for Mr. Scruffy. If any part of him were a part of Mr. Scruffy, he shouldn't need to look for it, I am thinking.

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 10:25 AM
Shojo served his purpose and was removed from the story. I really don't see him coming back or being inside Mr. Scruffy. To do so, he would have to both want to give up heaven, and destroy Hinjo's chance to cement his power over the Azurites. And Hinjo sure isn't going to listen to his uncle after being lied to for years, so the advising route is out.

The Order already knows everything they need to know. At this point, they probably will know more than Shojo aver knew when they reach the next gate. So again, he has no reason to come back and advise or aid them.

Plus, that was the whole purpose of killing him, to take away the fountain of answers and force them to work blind again.

Laughing Dragon
2009-07-11, 11:54 AM
Besides, if even a piece of Shojo's consciencousness was inside Mr. Scruffy, why would he then CHOOSE to hang out with Belkar?

Flubadubdub
2009-07-11, 07:00 PM
To be fair, Belkar treats Mr Scruffy pretty well. I don't think the cat cares who the heck belkar ticks off

Ghostwheel
2009-07-12, 04:36 AM
Besides, if even a piece of Shojo's conscientiousness was inside Mr. Scruffy, why would he then CHOOSE to hang out with Belkar?

Good question. "To be near the center of the action" is one answer, but I don't see the Giant thinking that way. I think that NerfTW is probably correct.

But I live to be surprised.

Ghostwheel
2009-07-12, 04:42 AM
Yeah, interesting theory, but no. One of the first things Shojo's spirit says right before giving Belkar the keys to good health and ass-kicking is that he was *looking* for Mr. Scruffy. If any part of him were a part of Mr. Scruffy, he shouldn't need to look for it, I am thinking.

I am thinking of a story by Tanith Lee that I read many years ago. I don't recall the name of the story or it's specifics, but something is ringing a subliminal bell in my head....

kpenguin
2009-07-12, 04:49 AM
Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not a cat.