PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew world... Racial balance help wanted

Kantolin
2005-11-02, 06:35 AM
Okay... I'm preparing a world for an upcoming play-by-post RP. Keep an eye out for it. ^_^

Anyway, I'm currently trying to balance the races. I've thrown out all the PHB races in favor of my own homebrew ones, and am trying to make everything on par with each other... thus, it doesn't bother me if they're over or underpowered compared to (say) humans, so long as they're equal to each other. I'd /prefer/ for them all to be a tat better than the PHB races overall, but I'm mostly focusing on balance. Further flavor can come later, I'm focusing mostly on mechanics now.

I'm attempting to utilize the DMG's suggestion on raising/lowering stats, and giving a series of bonuses to those who are a bit shafted, but opinions are well appreciated.

Oh... and there are no multiclassing penalties nor favored classes here, and I'm probably keeping it to base classes (With a couple mild additions), so don't worry about those. Thanks in advance for any help...

~~~~~~

Dechians (Day - Ckey - ans)

Darkvision. +2 con, -2 Wis

Dechians gain a +2 bonus on balance & Swim checks, and treat Balance & Swim as class skills. They gain Stability(A'la Dwarf), and +2 saves vs poison.

Dachians must pay an extra skill point to learn a new langauge, starts with one less language (Although they get Common & Lizard regardless of an intelligence penalty). Dachians also must obtain special armour (besides chain shirt & hide).

Basic Info: Lizardman race. A bit impulsive, but rather durable. Their unusually shaped mouths makes speaking languages difficult.

~~~~~~

V'ten (Vuh - Ten)

Darkvision, +2 Str, -2 Int

V'ten treat Intimidate & Jump as class skills, and gain a +2 bonus to listen due to their keen ears. They gain the Endurance feat for free, but have difficulty concentrating and keeping themselves resigned to tasks, taking a -2 penalty on concentration and move silently checks.

Vulnerable Form: V'ten take a -2 penalty on saves vs spells which require fortitude saves. In addition, they take a -2 penalty vs any spell of the transmutation school. These penalties stack.

Arcane Fear: V'ten take a -2 penalty to Use Magic Device

Basic Info: This race is strong, but slow-witted. Still, most give very fervent attempts to control themselves, and the race as a whole has taken steps towards being personable. They are, however, rather vulnerable to spells that alter physical form.

~~~~~~

Gehlert (Geh - lay - rt)

Low-Light, Small(Speed 20), +2 int, -2 Str, -2 Con

Gehlert gain a +2 bonus to all knowledge skills, and treat them as class skills.

Gehlert gain a +2 bonus to saves vs spells, and a +2 bonus to listen

Gehlert are more fraigle than most, and gain a -2 penalty to intimidate & climb

<Really unsure here. +int is really nice for a lot of classes, and -con doesn't really counter it for those classes, but...>

Basic Info: This small, resclusive group spends much of its time researching lore. While somewhat fragile, they have extremely sharp minds.

~~~~~~

Schö (Show)

Low-Light vision, Small Creatures(But 30ft movement), +2 Wis, -2 Cha

Schö gain a +2 bonus to handle animal & Survival, and treat those two skills as class skills.

Schö can speak with animals, as per the spell, a number of times equal to their HD each day. This is an extraordinary ability.

Schö gain a +2 bonus to listen, but take a -2 bonus to bluff.

Basic Info: This small race lives on the open plains, where a variety of particularly rough animals live. After time, they learned to tame the beasts, and now live relying in part on animals for survival, and against them. They are very gruff towards nonanimals.

~~~~~~

Holz (Holz)

Low-light vision, Speed 20(Even in armour), +2 Str, -2 Wis

Holz are at home on the battlefield, and gain the martial weapon proficiency for the Battleaxe & Greataxe automatically.

Holz gain Stability (A'la Dwarf), +4 fort vs cold, +2 survival in forests, but a -2 to Diplomacy and Sense Motive

Eldirtch Weakness: Holz are inherently weak to magical effects, and take a -4 to saves vs spells or spell-like effects which require will or fortitude saves.

Basic info: This race of people lives in the rather cold northern regions. Gung-ho is the best description of them, as they as a race tend to focus on logging, which is their trademark. They are warlike and extremely impulsive and brash. They are also, however extremely weak to magic. Their clerics tend to use benificial 'buffs' to try to rectify this significant flaw.

~~~~~~

Boden (Bow - den)

Darkvision, Speed 20(Even in armour), +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int

Boden have Stability(A'la dwarf), Stonecunning(Again a'la dwarf), +2 vs poison saves, +2 craft/Concentration/Search(And may treat these as calss skills)+4 bonus to bull rush, HD/day Soften Flesh & Stone and Magic Stone

Boden train rigorously to utilize their ancestral weapons, and gain the martial weapon proficiencies for the Warhammer and Maul, while they may treat the 'Gnome' hooked hammer as a martial weapon rather than an exotic one.

Magic Resistant: Boden gain a +2 bonus on saves vs spells

Basic Info: This race of people lives within and about mountains. While particularly slow-witted and unagile, they are very at home in stone. They tend to be excellent crafters of a variety of items, and tend to have the ability to focus on one task as long as it need be.

~~~~~

Zegun (Zee - gun)

Speed 30, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity

Zegun gain enhancement bonuses to their speed, as per the following table:

No Armour or Light Armour: Base Speed 40
Medium Armour: Base Speed 30
Heavy Armour: Base Speed 20

Zegun gain the Run feat as a bonus feat. Zegun gain a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather.

Zegun have the supernatural ability to shapeshift to or from horse form as a standard action which provokes attack of opportunities (Somatic component)
[While this ability is unconfirmed at this time, it will basically give a bonus to strength and dexterity similar to polymorphing into a heavy horse and back, and at a certain level will 'upgrade' once to warhorse-level instead of a normal heavy horse. No per day limit, but limited to these two forms and cannot use wild spell in conjunction with this spell].

Zegun must also obtain special armour (besides chain shirt & hide).

Basic Info: Zegun have horse's heads, but mostly human bodies (But with hooves). They are desert nomads, traveling about the desert (typically during the night to avoid the hot sun).

~~~~~~

Streit (Strite)

Speed 30, +2 Dexterity, -2 Stregnth

Streit gain lightning reflexes as bonus feat.

Basic Info: The dominant race of the region, they're evasive and energetic, albeit not physically impressive. Still, they have ingenuity and survivability, and have populated the majority of the region. Most focus on their evasion and agility.
(Considering, although they're not human, giving them the human bonus skill points to show their adaptability)

amanodel
2005-11-02, 10:22 AM
Neat stuff!

Few suggestions:

Boden seems to me as a weakened dwarf. Perhaps giving them an endurance feat?

Gehlert also seemsto have too much minuses. The way you pictured them -2str and -2con sounds good, but i think you should compenste them. This way they're going to be really shy wizards, and won't have a chance to be anything else. Seems like a weakened gnome.

The first impression is nice, but reading it through three times, i got the feeling that certain races are very limited in class selection. Of course, as a world-flavour thing, this can be good.

rising_dragon
2005-11-02, 11:14 AM
Currently most of your races, are little weaker most to PHB races. Even the Gehlert that gets the +2 INT isn’t as good ether the Halfling or Gnome. I notice that you give a lot double bonuses and double penalties. That you have skill modifier on skill that already being effected by a racial stat.

Dechians:

They gain Stability (A'la Dwarf), do they have stability all time or just in water? Currently your text isn’t clear on this.

The armor restriction is rough without any benefit really given in return.

V'ten

Again lots of penalties with no real benefits given. I forgot what the ability name was called but the Goliaths from ‘Races of Stone’ had ability that allows them to carry large size weapons, something similar might good for these guys as well.

Gehlert

+2 to all knowledge skill is bit much consider your giving them +2 int already and there no limit to knowledge skills. Just have knowledge skills as class skills is fine enough

-2 on intimidate suggest that they are fearful, -2 climb is double penalty cause of STR penalty

Schö

The speak with animals ability makes race decent, despite that lack of other abilities.
-2 bluff is another penalty with the CHA penalty

Holz

Feels like a dwarf, but no where near as good

Boden

You might well use dwarf for this race.

Zegun

Could give them fast movement: speed +10 when wearing light or no armor
The shapeshift effect would prove interesting

Streit
Just lightning reflexes?? That’s it?

Seerow
2005-11-02, 12:11 PM
One thing I notice is that there is no race at all with Charisma bonuses, yet you have at least one for every other stat.

Sorcerers and Bards need the love too.

Also, as has already been pointed out, you're really overcompensating on a lot of these. Plenty of penalties without many benefits being given out.

Kantolin
2005-11-02, 04:41 PM
Thank you all for the replies.

Hmm. It seems the general assertion is that the races are underpowered, boring, or both. Thus, here are a few fixes, some of which should also make several races more appealing to classes opposite their 'default' ones. I'm kinda afraid I went too far, but I was afraid that my races were overpowered in the first place anyway, so I'll leave it open. :P

Changes:
V'Ten: Awesome Blow, Scent, Fast Healing 3, possibly a straight +1 bonus to weapon damage? And likely a -2 to crafts, as I realize I forgot this.

Dachians: +1 natural armour bonus (Possibly that scales upwards with levels?), Net proficiency, natural bite weapon (1d4)

Streit: +2 Cha, +1 skill point per level, +4 skill points at level 1, +1 racial bonus on saving throws

Holz: Perhaps resistance to cold 5, and I'll give them the 'Dwarven' Waraxe as martial and the throwing axe for free as I realize I forgot. +4 on saves vs fear, +1 dodge bonus to AC due to combat readyness?

Boden: Change +2 to poison to immunity to poison, paralysis, and stunning, tremorsense (30? 60?), Dr 1/Adamantine. Possibly automatic armour proficiencies?

Scho: +4 dodge bonus vs animals, two-bladed sword as martial, Whip for free

Gehlert: Spellcraft as class skill, drop +2 knowledges, Make it -2 to fear rather than -2 intimidate. If proficient with shields, when they obtain a BAB of 2, they obtain the ability to ignore ASF of light and heavy shields

Zegun: Change wording to Fast movement +10 when in light or no armour, +4 bonus on checks to resist starvation and thirst (Unsure what else to offer... endurance?)

ChaotikLawfull
2005-11-02, 04:53 PM
One thing you may want to add is a description of how the races generally look like. 'twould help. I don't see anything in there that needs tweaking, but then again my knowledge of practical game mechanics is rather limited. I'm definitely interested in playing in your PbP when it starts (even though I'm in half the games on this forum already :P)

rising_dragon
2005-11-02, 05:36 PM
Yes a more detailed discription of the races and what they look like would definity help.

V'Ten: Awesome Blow, Scent, Fast Healing 3, possibly a straight +1 bonus to weapon damage? And likely a -2 to crafts, as I realize I forgot this.

What does Awesome Blow do? Fast healing might be a good idea, but I might lower it. Scent really doesn’t match your description off hand if used correctly might be overpowered. You’re already getting bonus to weapon damage with the +2 STR. -2 to crafts really only penalizing role players as min maxers would just ignore these skills.

Dachians: +1 natural armour bonus (Possibly that scales upwards with levels?), Net proficiency, natural bite weapon (1d4)

I like this idea, start at 1 or 2 and possibly increase by 1 every 5 levels would make up for the armor restrictions somewhat.

Streit: +2 Cha, +1 skill point per level, +4 skill points at level 1, +1 racial bonus on saving throws

Does this replace there normal +2 DEX? If so looks pretty good, granted a lot CHA base clases will pick this race now as their class is a no brainer.

Holz: Perhaps resistance to cold 5, and I'll give them the 'Dwarven' Waraxe as martial and the throwing axe for free as I realize I forgot. +4 on saves vs fear, +1 dodge bonus to AC due to combat readyness?

What if the spell cast on them is a fear spell?

Boden: Change +2 to poison to immunity to poison, paralysis, and stunning, tremorsense (30? 60?), Dr 1/Adamantine. Possibly automatic armour proficiencies?

Wow, umber bonus, way too good now. As most those abilities are worth +1 level adjustment on there own.

Scho: +4 dodge bonus vs animals, two-bladed sword as martial, Whip for free

the dodge bonus in nice, even it won’t come up very often, perhaps vs. magical beast as well?
You could also go with treat whip as a simple weapon as well.

Gehlert: Spellcraft as class skill, drop +2 knowledges, Make it -2 to fear rather than -2 intimidate. If proficient with shields, when they obtain a BAB of 2, they obtain the ability to ignore ASF of light and heavy shields

I like the shield idea, but suggest limiting to small shields and getting rid of BAB requirement.

Zegun: Change wording to Fast movement +10 when in light or no armour, +4 bonus on checks to resist starvation and thirst (Unsure what else to offer... endurance?)

I think endurance gives those bonus to checks as well.

Thrune
2005-11-02, 11:18 PM
One bit of advice... NO FAST HEALING..

Here's my reasons.

One: A fast healing race can just forget the heal skill. Unless they need it as a prerequisite for a feat; it's useless to them. Same's true of 0th level healing spells; and 1st when you get to about 6th level.
Two: The rate of single PC deaths will drop by 30% or so for that PC; because there's no chance of him bleeding to death. Or rather; that's true in my games; not sure about yours.
Three: It's just plain and simple amazingly powerful; especialy at low levels where the average goblin; if he hits; will be doing an average of 3.5. And he won't always hit.

Boden are incredibly strong too; but one rant at a time...

Kantolin
2005-11-03, 02:34 AM
Wow... relatively speedy, and excellent replies all around. This board is awesome.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies (Including those of you who PM'd). I believe your comments have given me enough of a basic feel that I can fiddle with the rest of it, and thus can get the races reasonably balanced against each other. So thank you again.

*Sigh* Now for the flavor, and description, and the like. The reason I was delaying on this is because I'm one of those idiots who tends to write pages and pages and pages of stuff for a campaign world before running it, thus making it such that a lot of people are turned away from it. Oh, well... *Gets on it*

^_^ Thank you again... this was startlingly helpful.