PDA

View Full Version : A story observation *spoilers maybe.*

DoomITP
2009-07-11, 11:06 AM
What I have noticed with the overall story is that there is the bad guy, Xykon and the real bad guy the three demons. It is just like in quite a few games and movies.

Final fantasy 7: Shinra and then Sephy

Warcraft 3: Orcs and then Undead

Star Wars episodes 1-3: The bad guy droids and then the real bad guy, Sidious.

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't consider Xykon less of a bad guy than the fiends. They're just yet another player on the field. If anything, they're the ones behind the Linear Guild, but Xykon is still the same Xykon even without their little attempt at getting him off his butt. Given their inability to physically affect the mortal plane, they're probably at the same level of danger as Xykon, since they need mortal agents to act through.

Also keep in mind that they apparently did not know about the gate until the Azure City battle, when Sabine told them. Before that, the Guild was just there as pawns to look for such sources of power as the gates, and likely were only in Dorukon's dungeon for the amulet, and had no idea of the gate there.

pflare
2009-07-11, 11:33 AM
Well technically their is Xykon and then the Snarl. I realize the Snarl is just chaos and not technically evil but its a "bad guy" none the less. Or their's Redcloak and then Xykon, or the Linear Guild and then Xykon, or the IFCC and then Xykon. However, I don't necessarily think that oots needs to follow that formula. I mean it is an original work and the Giant seems more than capable of coming up with original story lines.

[TS] Shadow
2009-07-11, 11:51 AM
There doesn't have to be ONE bad guy: there can be multiple. Just because a new antagonist was introduced doesn't mean that they become the sole antagonist in the story.

OITS
2009-07-11, 11:57 AM
I think, that this observation may become important. Well, not that there is evil and even more evil - but somebody who wants do compete with Xykon at Evilness. As I would judge, this will annoy him more than some good adventureres - someone who wants to take his position as archevil of the whole world^^

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 12:06 PM
Well, basically, we already knew there was going to be at least a three way struggle at some point. Nale said he's going after one of the two remaining gates. Having the entire strip just be Xykon vs the OOTS at each gate would be boring. And it was only a matter of time before another powerful group noticed that there's an epic level lich and an army of hobgoblins moving from one location to another.

And there's a chance Xykon will remember Nale (or Redcloak will remind him) and be a little suspicious of his presence.

Jagos
2009-07-11, 01:35 PM
I think, that this observation may become important. Well, not that there is evil and even more evil - but somebody who wants do compete with Xykon at Evilness. As I would judge, this will annoy him more than some good adventureres - someone who wants to take his position as archevil of the whole world^^

Well how the world is set up there's plenty of Big Bads. Xykon just happens to be the one in this area. :)

And there's a chance Xykon will remember Nale (or Redcloak will remind him) and be a little suspicious of his presence.

Xykon, remembering someone?

*snickers*

He'll just remember him as blondie until further notice.

xocist
2009-07-11, 04:02 PM
Oh! I do know what you mean. Xykon is the big bad, but if the IFCC become the bigger bad, then yeah, you've got a point. Of course, if not, then they are just yet another antagonist.

Skorj
2009-07-11, 07:08 PM
Every story arc (just about) for 15 year or so of Doctor Who. :smallsmile: You meet the some big monster at the end of episode one, it goes down in episode 2, but you meet the smart(er) guys who were running it, and learn the battle isn't for the mineshaft, it's for the galaxy, and the monster is just a distraction, then the final confrontation in episode 3. (Sometimes substitute distopian society for big monster.)