PDA

View Full Version : Eugene Greenhilt: A curiosity

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 02:18 PM
This isn't an overly serious suggestion, but I've been wondering and I have to ask: Does anyone else think that Eugene Greenhilt has Asperger's Syndrome? (Some information on this can be found here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/autism2.shtml), here (http://www.nas.org.uk/asperger) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome).)

This isn't an attempt to assign a label to everything, nor is it a jab at people with AS and other autism spectrum conditions; having been diagnosed with this condition myself, I just find that I relate to Eugene quite well, and his actions and descriptions of him (both positive and negative) are generally quite similar to how I see myself and how others have described me.

To illustrate, here are some examples of Eugene's behaviour and descriptions of him, along with relevant personal examples from my own life:

Intense but fleeting obsessions. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0495.html)

"Eugene is - and always has been - a very focused man. He picks one goal and pursues it with single-minded devotion. When he decided his goal was to make me his woman, we had a very good life. The problem is, he rarely sees any one project through to the end. He gets bored and refocuses his attention elsewhere. It took a few years, but he eventually drifted away from me and back to his career." - Sara Greenhilt

Personal example: I've spent the last two days memorising the countries of the world. On a larger scale, I have never finished a lengthy project that I have started without others pushing me to do so.

Disregard for the opinions and needs of others, as well as social/legal conventions.

This one has surely too many examples to count. Intervening with the summoning of a celestial, destroying the report on Vaarsuvius, utter lack of care for Roy's own wishes, appearing to Roy while he was trying to sleep (which would be a logical time to do so without onlookers)...that should be enough to demonstrate this point.

Personal example: I have always been viewed as strongly non-conformist because I have a tendency to ignore any convention which does not agree with my world view. In conversation, I have often been dismissive of the personal concerns of others.

Seeming lack of emotional ties to others, along with a strongly egocentric outlook.

Eugene shows little to no feeling for either Roy or Sara, and lacks compassion for Roy even after he dies. Eugene appears to only show an appreciation for Julia and Vaarsuvius, two people who share his wizardly profession and thus would use magic to destroy Xykon.

Personal example: Until recently, I showed very little outward concern or care for those close to me, especially family members, and was (and still am) quite cold when dealing with them. I just figured it went without saying that I cared about them. Additionally, I have typically shown respect only for those who more or less agree with my views, or people who will stand by their views strongly enough to argue with me - or both at once. (Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html), Eugene is disappointed that Roy won't argue with him - arguing appears to be the only way Eugene knows how to show care for his son).

Effeminate/camp. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html)

"Frankly, I'm still surprised that he liked girls." - Horace Greenhilt

Personal example: Myself and just about every other male with AS I have ever met with AS has been effeminate and quite incredibly camp, and my reading on the subject highlights it as well. A less than bright colleague once asked me, "Does your girlfriend know that you're gay?"

EDIT: A clarification, as taken from later in the thread:

The case seems to be that due to the "geeky" traits that individuals with AS tend to show, combined with an observed ambiguity of sexual preference (as well as quite fine features in a number of cases) and lack of adherence to and observence of traits and activities that are deemed masculine, that creates a view of the individual as being camp.

Thank you for reading this far if you did, I look forward to opinions on this matter. :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 02:19 PM
Sometimes a jerk is just a jerk.

Raphite1
2009-07-11, 02:23 PM
I doubt that Eugene was intentionally written to be an Aspie, but Rich may have based his personally traits off of people he knew/knows that have Asperger's, whether diagnosed or not.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 02:24 PM
Sometimes a jerk is just a jerk.

Which is certainly a valid opinion, though it would be helpful if you had in fact read my first post instead of giving a kneejerk reaction. Unless you possess tremendously fast reading and posting abilities. :smallwink:

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-11, 02:30 PM
I too have Asperger's Syndrome. I don't really see Eugene as having it. There are other symptoms, such as anxiety when faced with unexpected or unfamiliar situations, or a tendency to take what people say literally and thus misinterpret metaphors, that I'm not seeing in Eugene.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 02:35 PM
I too have Asperger's Syndrome. I don't really see Eugene as having it. There are other symptoms, such as anxiety when faced with unexpected or unfamiliar situations, or a tendency to take what people say literally and thus misinterpret metaphors, that I'm not seeing in Eugene.

The two things you highlight there are very much concerns that can be tackled; with Eugene's advanced age, I wouldn't be surprised if he had worked through a number of issues that would have presented problems for him earlier in life if he did have AS - indeed, it's noted that Asperger's is usually much harder to diagnose in adults because such deficiencies will often be reduced due to the individual's own efforts by the time they reach adulthood.

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-11, 02:42 PM
The two things you highlight there are very much concerns that can be tackled; with Eugene's advanced age, I wouldn't be surprised if he had worked through a number of issues that would have presented problems for him earlier in life if he did have AS - indeed, it's noted that Asperger's is usually much harder to diagnose in adults because such deficiencies will often be reduced due to the individual's own efforts by the time they reach adulthood.

That's certainly possible. However, while there is no such thing as a "textbook case" of Asperger's or Autism in general, the symptoms I describe are generally stronger indicators than the inability to follow through with long term projects or aloofness.

And I have never, nor has any other diagnosed person I've spoken with, described myself as camp. I also disagree with taking Horace's remarks as proof, especially as he is biased in his observations.

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 03:05 PM
I wonder if V would qualify....

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-11, 03:11 PM
I wonder if V would qualify....

Again, I don't see it. For one thing, can you apply human conditions to elves?

Zordrath
2009-07-11, 03:14 PM
V might qualify in some regards, but any of these symptoms alone can simply be tied to your personality, and V doesn't qualify for all of them. Mainly, he doesn't have any intense, but fleeting obsessions - he has one obsession, acquiring ultimate arcane power, and has pursued it his entire life.

Eugene could indeed have Asperger's from the symptoms the OP listed, though I'm going to go with the 'sometimes a jerk is just a jerk' theory here :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 03:18 PM
neither do most people diagnosed with Aspergers, for that matter. It varies a great deal, and "lifetime interest" is a possibity, as well as "fleeting interest"

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 03:33 PM
That's certainly possible. However, while there is no such thing as a "textbook case" of Asperger's or Autism in general, the symptoms I describe are generally stronger indicators than the inability to follow through with long term projects or aloofness.

Before diagnosis, I had alredy begun to learn the meanings of common idioms and metaphors (children are incredibly unforgiving of errors in basic things like that, and tend to be quite inclined to tell you when you mess up), and experience quickly told me to be cautious of responding with my confusion of such things. While receiving guidance to help with problems that crop up to due to AS, it was quite possibly one of the first issues I dealt with (though I still do check idiom dictionaries quite frequently).

Learning to anticipate circumstances, both general and specific, goes a long way in alleviating anxiety from new or unexpected situations. I wouldn't say I've fully gotten over that, though. (Until this year, I had never opened a bank account - nobody would accompany me, and I just avoided it for years). Additionally, transforming anxiety into frustration when provoked can be quite an easy step, unfortunately - Eugene's reaction to Roy refusing to argue (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html), and his (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) reactions (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html) to Roy being allowed into paradise could be used to show this, though I personally don't see those examples as being particularly credible.

And I have never, nor has any other diagnosed person I've spoken with, described myself as camp. I also disagree with taking Horace's remarks as proof, especially as he is biased in his observations.

That's fair, though I meant no offence with my words - the case seems to be that due to the "geeky" traits that individuals with AS tend to show, combined with an observed ambiguity of sexual preference (as well as quite fine features in a number of cases) and lack of adherence to and observence of traits and activities that are deemed masculine, that creates a view of the individual as being camp.

I rarely engage in sports (swordfighting, cycling, swimming and badminton being the only ones I am usually inclined to partake in - but cycling is transport, and swimming isn't a sport, it's a way to keep from drowning. :smallwink:), though when I have I've generally been quite good at them, except where coordinated movement is especially important. I never could manage Cricket - Rugby was simple, though.

neither do most people diagnosed with Aspergers, for that matter. It varies a great deal, and "lifetime interest" is a possibity, as well as "fleeting interest"

What I said was "fleeting obsessions" - strong fixations that ultimately don't last. I didn't rule out holding an interest in a subject for the duration of one's life, and it's apparent the Eugene stuck with wizardry for the entirety of his life and beyond.

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 03:36 PM
V's sudden obsession with "fixing everything" might count- I don't remember V having it before the soul splice.

Apart from that though, not sure.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 03:39 PM
V's sudden obsession with "fixing everything" might count- I don't remember V having it before the soul splice.

Apart from that though, not sure.

I think that desire was always very much on V's mind, along with V's inherent ruthlessness - having the power to act on this was the reason V did so, in my opinion.

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 03:42 PM
Sounds reasonable. Which of V's personality traits might fit- the extreme verbosity? the logic-heavy attitude to the world? Others?

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 03:43 PM
Sounds reasonable. Which of V's personality traits might fit- the extreme verbosity? the logic-heavy attitude to the world? Others?

Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood - I don't see V as having AS. V reminds me much more of a typical wizard than anything else.

Blackjackg
2009-07-11, 03:51 PM
From my experience of older men with Asperger's, I would say it is certainly possible that Eugene is in that range. What we've seen in the comic doesn't warrant a diagnosis, but it certainly doesn't rule one out either.

And yeah, I would be very hesitant to diagnose a human psychopathology in an elf.

For the record, my credentials:
Doctoral student of clinical psychology, with years of experience working in clinical settings with children, adolescents and adults with diagnoses of AD.

hamishspence
2009-07-11, 03:53 PM
I know that- point I was trying to make, is that many of the traits cited for Eugene work almost as well for V, and that it could be Being A Wizard that plays a part in their similarities, or it could be something else.

xocist
2009-07-11, 03:57 PM
While I agree that it's not as absurd as it might first appear, I have high doubts as to whether it was intentional.

Though as an aspie, I feel I should throw in someone else who might belong to the AS collective... erm... Redcloak... There's a guy with 'spergers, if ever I saw it.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 03:59 PM
While I agree that it's not as absurd as it might first appear, I have high doubts as to whether it was intentional.

I wouldn't be inclined to believe that it was intentional, either - I still see it, though. :smallsmile:

Though as an aspie, I feel I should throw in someone else who might belong to the AS collective... erm... Redcloak... There's a guy with 'spergers, if ever I saw it.

That made me giggle. I think I'll echo Blackjackg's sentiments on that, though.

EDIT:

I know that- point I was trying to make, is that many of the traits cited for Eugene work almost as well for V, and that it could be Being A Wizard that plays a part in their similarities, or it could be something else.

It's a little hard to explain why I see it in Eugene, but not V (again, though, Blackjackg's comment is appropriate), but I'll give it a shot. On the whole, Eugene seems to have a much more developed character than V has shown before recent comics - in the past, V has very much walked along the path of a standard blaster wizard, with little other personality elements cropping up. Eugene, however, with his lack of a corporeal form, is stripped of his ability to be presented as V is, and has to display more personality than V to be a functional recurring character. This answer doesn't really provide specifics, but hopefully it points in their direction.

Blackjackg
2009-07-11, 04:06 PM

Mmmmm...I don't buy it. Aside from the obvious "he's a goblin," he has a pretty canny ability to perceive others' emotions, and to pervert them to his own ends. He's able to distance himself from his own emotions, true, but that's as counterindicative of Asperger's as it is indicative. If I were pressed to label him with a human diagnosis, I'd lean more toward Antisocial Personality Disorder.

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 04:26 PM
Which is certainly a valid opinion, though it would be helpful if you had in fact read my first post instead of giving a kneejerk reaction. Unless you possess tremendously fast reading and posting abilities. :smallwink:

I did in fact read most of your post. I didn't go into the details you had in the spoiler boxes, but your list of arguments, in my opinion, are simply traits of Eugene being a jerk, not any medical condition.

Belkster11
2009-07-11, 04:36 PM
True.

I don't know about aspie, never met anyone with that, so I can't judge.

You can possess those kinds of traits and not be an aspie.

kamikazetoast
2009-07-11, 04:39 PM
I did in fact read most of your post. I didn't go into the details you had in the spoiler boxes, but your list of arguments, in my opinion, are simply traits of Eugene being a jerk, not any medical condition.

But that's sort of the point of the OP. That...

Eugene = jerk

... is not what's in dispute. It's whether or not he's making conscious decisions to be the way he is. Does Eugene realize that his actions cause such an affect, or are unconscious tendencies ruling his actions.

Anyway, I do like this explanation as something to think about. The reason being: it lends more weight to explanations for why Eugene's (still) considered worthy of Lawful Good heaven, contrary to much pretty everything we know about him.

Perhaps Beings of Ultimate Law And Good take pre-existing conditions into account? (Perhaps the second or third tier of the mountain has therapists :P)

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 04:47 PM

Considering that the details in the spoiler boxes account for more of the post than what isn't spoilered (and form the main body of the thread's claims), I feel justified in saying that your response was a kneejerk one - which was apparent due to the immensely quick response and lack of any detailed argument. The idea of being camp being a trait of a jerk gets a laugh out of me, though.

I don't know about aspie, never met anyone with that, so I can't judge.

Let me help you, then: "Aspie" is a term of abuse applied to those with Asperger's, though it is sometimes repurposed by those with AS as a term of self-identity. It is not a shorthand term for the condition.

You can possess those kinds of traits and not be an aspie.

That is true, and this is thread is inherently pure speculation - it's practically a dead certainty that the Giant will never say, "Oh, and Eugene has Asperger's syndrome."

Morgan Wick
2009-07-11, 06:55 PM
Intense but fleeting obsessions. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0495.html)

This explains so much about me...

NerfTW
2009-07-11, 06:57 PM
I'm not giving detailed arguments because there really is none to be had. You're reading autism into the character when he's simply self involved and egotistical. It is possible to have those traits and not be autistic.

And I find the "camp" trait to be ridiculous. That was just his fighter(jock) father making fun of him for being a wizard(nerd).

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-11, 07:17 PM
I'm not giving detailed arguments because there really is none to be had. You're reading autism into the character when he's simply self involved and egotistical. It is possible to have those traits and not be autistic.

What exactly is the harm in speculating? If I choose to read a trait into a character and in doing so enrich my experience of the work as a whole, what harm has come of it? It's entirely possible (if not probable) that Eugene does not have AS, but as Blackjackg says in their earlier comment, the idea in itself is not implausible, and as kamikazetoast says, it provides some explanation as to why Eugene would be considered for the LG afterlife.

Milskidasith
2009-07-11, 07:23 PM
You do realize that jocks calling nerds gay for being nerds is pretty much the definition of camp, right?

And I still don't even think you have read this; he has many of the traits of Asperger's. If they lead to somebody being a jerk, that's quite possible. It's also quite possible Rich just wrote him as a jerk and didn't consider that it was similar to somebody with Aspergers. It's also possible that Rich really doesn't plan everything out so much in advance and the evidence that he had intense, fleeting goals was just a throwaway line for fluff's sake. It does no harm to discuss any of those things, however.

Knaight
2009-07-11, 07:53 PM
Intense fleeting goals doesn't always indicate Asperger's. I fit into that category fairly well myself, I have things that I put a lot of effort into and simply want to do, then shift out and forget about them. Eugene is in a fantasy universe, and it is exaggerated to emphasize the fantastical.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-12, 12:35 AM
Those aren't necessarily unrelated. Based on my limited knowledge, Asperger's Syndrome positively correlates with geekdom positively correlates with interest and careers in the physical sciences, engineering, information technology, programming, etc. Or, in a D&D setting, wizardry.

Let me help you, then: "Aspie" is a term of abuse applied to those with Asperger's, though it is sometimes repurposed by those with AS as a term of self-identity. It is not a shorthand term for the condition.
Please tell me that you're not applying N Word Privileges (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NWordPrivileges) to "aspie", and you just meant "That term is for a person with the condition, not the condition itself."

I've only ever seen it used as self-identification. Surely it's not widely regarded as a slur, as most people aren't even aware of it.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-12, 12:56 AM
Please tell me that you're not applying N Word Privileges (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NWordPrivileges) to "aspie", and you just meant "That term is for a person with the condition, not the condition itself."

I've only ever seen it used as self-identification. Surely it's not widely regarded as a slur, as most people aren't even aware of it.

The slur form was my first experience with the term, and for several years that was the only usage I saw it in - what I've read on the term appears to agree with this interpretation of an insult-to-self-identification transition.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-12, 01:04 AM
Actually, I was just reading the Wikipedia article on Asperger's, and according to it, "aspie" was coined by an aspie.

And we all know Wikipedia never makes mistakes on anything, right? :smalltongue:

Tempest Fennac
2009-07-12, 01:10 AM
I'm inclined to just class Eugene and V as jerks while seeing RC as just obsessed (I know someone wondered if Miko was autistic as well due to her excelling in combat while having no social skills but I blame her upbringing for that*). I have AS as well and I never honestly considered the idea of any of the characters having it as well.

*I think Rich specifically said in one of the books that Miko's personality was due to being raised completely by millitaristic groups who didn't care as much about interracting with other people.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-12, 01:15 AM
Actually, I was just reading the Wikipedia article on Asperger's, and according to it, "aspie" was coined by an aspie.

And we all know Wikipedia never makes mistakes on anything, right? :smalltongue:

It's entirely possible that my experiences show a skewed view that is reflected in the literature I've read (in that the term could well have been taken from self-identification to insult as opposed to vice versa). At any rate, I avoid the terms "aspie" and "neurotypical" like the plague - they feel elitist to me, and it seems to me to be in the same vein as patriotism: celebrating something that you have in effect been arbitrarily assigned. I don't think I'll speak too much more on that currently, though - it's 7AM here, and I worry that I'll say something glaringly wrong out of tiredness. :smalltongue:

Worira
2009-07-12, 01:20 AM
That's fair, though I meant no offence with my words - the case seems to be that due to the "geeky" traits that individuals with AS tend to show, combined with an observed ambiguity of sexual preference (as well as quite fine features in a number of cases) and lack of adherence to and observence of traits and activities that are deemed masculine, that creates a view of the individual as being camp.

Uh... What?

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-12, 01:32 AM
Uh... What?

Delicate. Dainty. Slender. Take your pick - at any rate, what I mean to convey is the sort of features that are considered as part of an "effeminate" male appearance, and oft serves as a source of ridicule from more robust and "masculine" sorts. And now sleep calls.

Worira
2009-07-12, 01:34 AM
Yeah, that's not actually a symptom.

Poppy Appletree
2009-07-12, 01:45 AM

It wasn't intended as such - symptoms are provided as an extension of reading the discussions of Asperger's in the information links; the spoilered items provide a reduced format that focuses on my personal anecdotal evidence: that is, providing myself as comparison for purposes of illustrating my point. There are a number of features that tend to crop alongside AS and autism without being considered symptomatic (this (http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/docs/papers/2008_Ashwin_etal_biol_psychiatry_eagle.pdf), for example) and at least through my own observation and a fair few books I've read on the topic, "campness" is quite common.

Blackjackg
2009-07-12, 11:42 AM

Weeeeeell, I don't know that you can state that with absolute certainty. Even if we dismiss the possibility that AS carries with it some physical characteristics (analogous to Down's and Williams' Syndromes) that haven't been thoroughly categorized, people with Asperger's often a) have very finicky diet choices and b) suffer some degree of anxiety, both of which could contribute to a general tendency among people with AS to be skinnier of face and body than the general population. Not that these characteristics are universal, by a long shot, but then, not every person with Down's syndrome has so-called "elfin" features.

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-12, 02:38 PM
The concept of Asperger's Syndrome seems to be a vague one, anyway. It seems to be about a collection of traits that are positively correlated with each other, so it's ultimately kind of arbitrary which traits you draw the border of the concept around. Even if campness or whatever isn't a part of Asperger's per se, it might be that there's another border you can draw which includes that and Asperger's.

At any rate, I avoid the terms "aspie" and "neurotypical" like the plague - they feel elitist to me, and it seems to me to be in the same vein as patriotism: celebrating something that you have in effect been arbitrarily assigned.
Sometimes it's useful to refer to people based on their pychological makeup, though. It doesn't have to include lauding them or putting them down. Admittedly, those words often seem to be used that way, but I don't consider them inherently charged, rather like how I don't consider "American" an inherently charged term. Sometimes words are just descriptive.

Timberboar
2009-07-13, 10:59 PM
Again, I don't see it. For one thing, can you apply human conditions to elves?

What other frame of reference do we have?

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-14, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood - I don't see V as having AS. V reminds me much more of a typical wizard than anything else.

More like V is a player who wants to show that high intelligence is not the same as high wisdom.

Puns de León
2009-07-17, 02:33 AM
Based on the things you've named as signs of Asperger's, I'd say it's a fair shot to say that Eugene fits the bill, especially in the way he communicates with Roy. The fact that he takes an aggressive and abrasive tone with him most all the time might suggest he doesn't know any other way, and, as you mentioned, he tries to guide his son by arguing with him. This would fit with Eugene's dead logical disposition, feeling he needs to justify all of his disappointment with Roy by factually proving he can't do anything about Xykon on account of his not being a wizard.

Conversely, I don't think V is at all a candidate. Sure, he/she exhibits some of the traits linked with Asperger's, but most of this behaviour has come only recently, following the end of the war and V's own experience with the doomed soldiers and his/her inability to help. I would think we could chaulk up his/her radical ensuing behaviour to post-traumatic stress. Looking back at the earlier strips, V's not nearly as obsessive or intolerant. Whether or not this is due to a lack of character exposition, V's having Asperger's is a stretch, and I'd say the same for Redcloak.

[minor SoD spoilers]

He's certainly very focused on his goals of goblin empowerment/harnessing the power of the Snarl/taking revenge on Azure City, and he's sometimes anxious to get on with it or exasperated with his teammates, but this is also due to a past experience that left him shell-shocked (namely one suffered in his youth).

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-17, 03:27 AM
What other frame of reference do we have?

I'm not sure, but despite their similarity in appearance to us, Elves have a different biological make up, a different mindset and a different culture, so what may be a psychological condition in human terms may be perfectly normal in Elves.

And I still don't see Eugene as having Aspergers. I don't believe that fleeting interest and a gruff nature are major symptoms of the condition, and the symptoms I described earlier as being far more important in securing a diagnosis.

Ozymandias9
2009-07-17, 06:18 AM
The elements you list are indeed part of Aspergers, but they hardly constitute a sufficient amount for a diagnosis or even to differentiate it from other mental conditions. As point of fact, all but that last one are also the primary traits of Schizoid personality disorder and secondary traits of a dozen other mental conditions.

Really, I think the best way to look at Eugene is that he's someone with high int but low wisdom and charisma. That is, after all, what defines him in the context of the story world.

Qubanz
2009-07-18, 05:36 AM
Aaah... Eugene!

I dunno... Eugene is a 'nerd' type and I think AS has been an influence on how the 'nerd' type has been depicted, because a lot of nerdy people DO have AS.

So sure, he could have.

I think Eugene is interesting, he's kind of a generation that's wedged inbetween two generations that aren't like him. Jockish father (Kind and well-meaning, but just nothing like Eugene. It was bound to clash, because I think Horace just wasn't ever really going to UNDERSTAND 'Gene. (And kids are often not set to be particularly understanding towards their parents, so it just was going to be testy to begin with.)

Now 'Gene I think was very unforgiving towards his father, but sometimes resentment just builds up to high. And then he gets a son, wants him to be like himself, but he ends up more like Horace.

Now I don't think Eugene is blameless. (He can be a very nasty individual. (And Horace is actually quite nice (I do think he's clueless towards people like his son. But he clearly means well.) And in fact Eugene often is a jerk and the afterlife predicament he got himself into is really his own fault. But Eugene is interesting to me.

Puns de León
2009-07-18, 07:54 PM
Funny thing: in Eugene's first appearance in #15 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0015.html), he states that Roy's mother wanted him to be a wizard, but Roy wouldn't go for it. Doesn't really seem like he's defending Roy's choice, but it's strange that he wouldn't mention that he shared Roy's mother's wishes too, actually being a wizard himself.

Blackjackg
2009-07-18, 08:00 PM
Funny thing: in Eugene's first appearance in #15 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0015.html), he states that Roy's mother wanted him to be a wizard, but Roy wouldn't go for it. Doesn't really seem like he's defending Roy's choice, but it's strange that he wouldn't mention that he shared Roy's mother's wishes too, actually being a wizard himself.

Call it a ham-handed attempt to stir up guilt. Eugene knows that Roy doesn't really care what he thinks, but invoking the name of his much-beloved and long-suffering mother is sure to dredge up some sweet, sweet guilt.

Puns de León
2009-07-18, 08:12 PM
That's a good point. Masterful redirection too, from the source of guilt to the real victim: "Of course, your mother wanted you to be a wizard, but nooooo. I had to pay 40,00 gp a year in tuition..."

Erts
2009-07-20, 03:22 PM
I think you are misinterpreting the "I'm surprised he liked girls" quote.

He means that Eugene seemed to not get along with anyone, not get along with guys especially well.

I think you are reading to deep into the character. Eugene doesn't care about anyone. He just wants to get to the eternal bliss of the afterlife.