PDA

View Full Version : Another sudden thought on Nale...

SavageWombat
2009-07-11, 08:39 PM
Way back when, Sabine mentioned that she'd been assigned to Nale because he had "potential ... EEEVIL potential."

Now, thanks to the evil trio, we know what's really up. He wasn't picked because of his capability - but because he's too stupid to know he's being manipulated.

This probably also applies to Sabine.

FoE
2009-07-12, 01:07 AM
I believe the IFCC have only been aware of the Gates since this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) I suspect the IFCC only sent Sabine to, ahem, "keep Nale company" because they thought he was an up and coming villain with lots of EEEEEEEvil potential. The same reason a succubus is always sent to the mortal plane, really.

But since Nale is "already in play," so to speak, I'm sure the IFCC has no problem using him, Thog and Sabine in a ploy to gain control of one of the Gates.

Corwin Weber
2009-07-12, 01:13 AM
Way back when, Sabine mentioned that she'd been assigned to Nale because he had "potential ... EEEVIL potential."

Now, thanks to the evil trio, we know what's really up. He wasn't picked because of his capability - but because he's too stupid to know he's being manipulated.

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

He's potentially an effective villain, and one that could do a lot of damage, really.... he's just too dumb to realize he's being manipulated, or being well enough compensated with demonic sex to care. (Which is itself pretty dumb, actually....)

factotum
2009-07-12, 01:13 AM
For all we know, Nale was chosen because he was the highest level evil character the IFCC could find who would be likely to fall for Sabine's charms. He's certainly the highest level evil character we've seen in the strip who isn't working for Xykon!

Corwin Weber
2009-07-12, 01:35 AM
For all we know, Nale was chosen because he was the highest level evil character the IFCC could find who would be likely to fall for Sabine's charms. He's certainly the highest level evil character we've seen in the strip who isn't working for Xykon!

Erm.........

Crystal was Haley's level.... the Guildmaster was probably even higher than that.... Hank is probably higher level than Nale too....

Tijne
2009-07-12, 03:23 AM
Erm.........

Crystal was Haley's level.... the Guildmaster was probably even higher than that.... Hank is probably higher level than Nale too....

They all sounded a lot more chaotic-neutral to me.
:D

FujinAkari
2009-07-12, 03:31 AM
Erm.........

True, but -none- of them are interested in going out adventuring, which distinctly limits their usefulness to the IFCC.

Xantospoc
2009-07-12, 03:56 AM
Well, the ABD was surely more powerful than Nale and she was surely evil... if it was not for the Splice, she would have been a though ****

factotum
2009-07-12, 05:54 AM
Which part of "likely to fall for Sabine's charms" was unclear? :smallconfused: I doubt a female ABD would go for a succubus...

Zanaril
2009-07-12, 06:17 AM
Which part of "likely to fall for Sabine's charms" was unclear? :smallconfused: I doubt a female ABD would go for a succubus...

Weeeeel... Sabine's a shapeshifter, and dragons are known for hitting on anythig that moves...

Querzis
2009-07-12, 06:57 AM

You never went to the fanservice or the shipping thread right? Everyone is likely to fall for Sabine's charm!

Ancalagon
2009-07-12, 07:17 AM

Male... female... Sabine is a shapechanger. Do the math and tell me how much "gender" matters to her.

"It's not like we did not try..."

Morquard
2009-07-12, 07:31 AM
"It's not like we did not try..."
Not! Helping!

theinsulabot
2009-07-12, 07:53 AM
the ABD was still grieving for her husband, however. plus the ABD also struck me as the sort who not only would easily perceive a shapeshifted dragon, but who would consider consorting with a non draconic creature to be benath her. even if she tried to keep an open mind about nice green forest dragons

Zanaril
2009-07-12, 07:55 AM
the ABD was still grieving for her husband, however. plus the ABD also struck me as the sort who not only would easily perceive a shapeshifted dragon, but who would consider consorting with a non draconic creature to be benath her. even if she tried to keep an open mind about nice green forest dragons

Theres friendly contact with an evil outsider, then there's "friendly contact" with an evil outsider.

theinsulabot
2009-07-12, 07:57 AM
Theres frendly contact with an evil outsider, then there's "frendly contact" with an evil outsider.

*snap* *thud*

NerfTW
2009-07-12, 08:43 AM
The revelation about the Linear Guild finally tells us that the fiends were originally behind the theft of the amulet that allowed control over second edition monsters. Most likely Sabine was told to inform Nale, and he came up with the plan "all by himself", not knowing he was going to be further moved into whatever position the fiends needed him in.

Also likely is that they didn't know about the gate at the bottom of the dungeon, and were blissfully unaware of it's importance until now.

TheArchivist
2009-07-12, 11:29 AM
I would say that Nale has quite a bit of EEEVIL potential given that he was willing to commit about 417 murders (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0363.html)(granted, most off screen helpless NPCs) just to help with his elaborate scheme to get back at his brother. Now if he could just put that kind of effort and energy into something more productive like say capture and exploit a gate… Especially if he was helped along the right path.

As a side note Cliffport was probably put into a panic when Thog and Not-Nale escaped from prison.

Larkspur
2009-07-12, 09:20 PM
Now if he could just put that kind of effort and energy into something more productive like say capture and exploit a gate… Especially if he was helped along the right path.

That seems overly optimistic to me. Seizing control of a gate is hard; even the semi-competent Team Evil haven't been able to pull it off, and they're smarter and more powerful than Nale is, plus they have actual information about how to control the gates. Nale is persistent, but he's so chronically inept he gets defeated by Elan; he's got no hope of defeating the protections around a gate single-handedly. The IFCC are better off using him to prod the Order of the Stick into position so they can take control of V at some opportune moment.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-12, 11:52 PM
There's also a good chance that Nale is the Heir to Tyrania. Regardless of his competence, that's someone you want to get to in good with if you want to plan some large scale eeeevil.

Olorin Maia
2009-07-13, 12:24 AM
I think it would be more dramatic if it was Elan that was the heir; a chaotic good bard gaining control of an army?

Although Nale in control would lead to a whole lot more trouble for the OotS, so that is probably what would happen.

Actually, I take it back again, we already had a huge army scene and I don't want to see it again so I hope that it is Elan....wait....

If I formally predict Nale attacking with the army it will never come true right?

-brb, have to start prediction thread without spoilers.:smalltongue:

rangermania
2009-07-13, 02:39 AM
Weeeeel... Sabine's a shapeshifter, and dragons are known for hitting on anythig that moves...

This prompts very disturbing images... Where did you get this thought dude? :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-13, 02:49 AM
This prompts very disturbing images... Where did you get this thought dude?

Well, consider all the half dragons. There's really nothing that can force a dragon of reproductive age to do anything, so all of those half dragons came from a relationship initiated by (or at least consented to) by a dragon.

I do however think that Momma dragon was in a loving and commited relationship that transcended death, so sabine hitting on her was likely to go worse than when she was hit on roy and got thrown out the window by her nipple rings.

slayerx
2009-07-13, 04:56 AM
I believe the IFCC have only been aware of the Gates since this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) I suspect the IFCC only sent Sabine to, ahem, "keep Nale company" because they thought he was an up and coming villain with lots of EEEEEEEvil potential. The same reason a succubus is always sent to the mortal plane, really.

But since Nale is "already in play," so to speak, I'm sure the IFCC has no problem using him, Thog and Sabine in a ploy to gain control of one of the Gates.

Eh, i might give Nale less credit...
That kinda sounds like the expect great things from Nale; and i don't think they could have ever truly expected great things from a "moron"... i think it could be more likely that the IFCC just expected him to be a potentially good pawn for any plans they might come up with for the mortal plane in the near future...

I mean, if they ever find anything worth going after on the mortal plane it would be good to have mortals who can help do the job... and it can take awhile to groom a good pawn... so you set up your pawns ahead of time and then use then manipulate and use them when you find a use for them... they may even have a few other fiends courting evil adventurers in other parts of the world

Essentially, Nale has always been considered as nothing but a pawn... it's just that now they have found a use for him

Nah, Hank might be able to pass for neutral (though i'm leaning LE), but i think Bozzok and Crystal were clearly evil; i'd say LE and CE respectively...

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-13, 05:37 AM
Crystal's got Assassin levels. You have to be Evil for that.

And Bozzak was too much of a Bad Boss to not be Evil.

Hank, I'll give ya.

Brom
2009-07-13, 05:49 AM
It occurs to me that, if Nale had more competent allies, he'd be able to do a whole hell of a lot more damage. The guy is actually pretty cunning. He's got an ego that gets ahead of him sometimes, but he's dangerously opportunistic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0393.html) and he knows how to manipulate an enemy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0337.html) or even an ally if necessary.

Thog is a moron who can be owned by anything that targets his will save. But if the rest of his groups were anywhere near as competent as him and Sabine, I think we could see the Linear Guild really screwing people over.

And what the IIFC considers stupid shouldn't necessarily apply as stupid for normal people. These guys have thought out cunning plans well in advance. I mean...the take advantage of the ABD attacking V, and give her power on the hopes that it will push Xykon, who will be able to compete with the Order of the Stick until they themselves have a chance to act.

It seems simple as written here, but it was pretty cunning. So was their temptation. And even their alternative plan to how V could avoid selling her soul was pretty cunning.

What the IIFC considers stupid might be relatively intelligent for us.

Tass
2009-07-13, 05:50 AM
... and got thrown out the window by her nipple rings.

Where did you get that from?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-13, 06:01 AM
Where did you get that from?

Doubtlessly he got that from here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0355.html).

Ancalagon
2009-07-13, 06:21 AM
Doubtlessly he got that from here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0355.html).

Err, the question was where he did get his version... this seems more like a punch than what the poster wrote.

kusje
2009-07-13, 06:57 AM
Well, consider all the half dragons. There's really nothing that can force a dragon of reproductive age to do anything, so all of those half dragons came from a relationship initiated by (or at least consented to) by a dragon.

Do D&D dragons lay eggs?

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-13, 06:59 AM
Err, the question was where he did get his version... this seems more like a punch than what the poster wrote.

It doesn't have to be an exact copy of something that previously happened, you know. I'm just saying where he got the breast piercings from.

Morquard
2009-07-13, 07:12 AM
One thing to keep in mind:
Sabine is hardly the only succubus in Lee's employ, as Archfiend he probably commands thousands of them.

So just that he's been asigned a succubus companion does not really mean anything. It may really mean he's good potential for evil, and yes, Nale can come up with cunning plans, but they're "needlessly complicated". I mean, seriously. And so far they've always failed too.
It could also mean that they're setting up pawns for whenever they're useful.

I mean, they're pretty much immortal, if there's anything they have plenty off its time. Who cares if 99% of the pawns and minions they create never yield any results, that 1% that does might well be worth the trouble.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-13, 07:13 AM
Yes, they lay Eggs. Draconomicon gives advices and mechanisms for taking care of them.

Optimystik
2009-07-13, 08:11 AM
True, but -none- of them are interested in going out adventuring, which distinctly limits their usefulness to the IFCC.

Bozzok, at least, is also too smart to be manipulated by the IFCC. (And Crystal is TOO stupid.)

But more importantly, neither of them is as interested in causing "destructive unnecessary conflict" as the LG is.

(Curiously, despite Nale being Lawful, the IFCC has him pegged perfectly - his ultimate goal is quite chaotic.)

The revelation about the Linear Guild finally tells us that the fiends were originally behind the theft of the amulet that allowed control over second edition monsters. Most likely Sabine was told to inform Nale, and he came up with the plan "all by himself", not knowing he was going to be further moved into whatever position the fiends needed him in.

Interestingly enough, Xykon hired him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0057.html) while he was on that very search. How did they meet?

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-13, 09:19 AM

Sabine turns her back to the "Camera" and exposes her chest to Roy. A few seconds later, Roy says "Nice peircings" and tosses a purple ring down to her"

Morquard
2009-07-13, 09:28 AM
Sabine turns her back to the "Camera" and exposes her chest to Roy. A few seconds later, Roy says "Nice peircings" and tosses a purple ring down to her"
That kind of looks alot like the band she pulls out of her hair 4 panels before that.

The Rose Dragon
2009-07-13, 09:33 AM
That kind of looks alot like the band she pulls out of her hair 4 panels before that.

That was my thought as well.

Olorin Maia
2009-07-13, 12:07 PM
Yea, sorry to ruin it for you. I think in another thread it is determined that the hairband is given back, not a piercing that Roy ripped out.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-13, 01:49 PM

:smalleek:Yikes, that would make roy evil with a capital E. Ripping out tit piercings from a surrendered foe? Just for kicks? Yeah, that's evil.
No, it's a hairband

Querzis
2009-07-13, 05:12 PM
(Curiously, despite Nale being Lawful, the IFCC has him pegged perfectly - his ultimate goal is quite chaotic.)

Him being Lawfull probably has more to do with being Elan evil opposite then anything else. He always acted very chaotic as far as I'm concerned.

Or, since hes the one who said he was Lawfull, maybe he simply think hes Lawfull despite being almost as chaotic as Thog just like he think hes the smartest man in the world. Go Nale! If arrogance and believing in yourself were actual powers, you'd have already conquered the universe!

Berserk Monk
2009-07-13, 10:05 PM

I doubt they would have told Sabine how stupid they think Nale and she are so they came up with something else which is probably also to an extent true.

Olorin Maia
2009-07-13, 10:55 PM
Do you think that Sabine would really care? It doesn't seem that she would, her main boss is Director Lee, and not Nale. As long as she was getting rewarded for doing her duty (like keeping Director Lee abreast of the situation to get the finders fee) she would be happy.

Jagos
2009-07-13, 11:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the ABD's son that was killed?

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-13, 11:58 PM
Oh, it's getting about time to speculate who the next three evil opposites will be, isn't it? Let's get crazy...

We find out that in the intervening years, V's master has become evil, and the LG finds Andy and recruits for the purpose of Andy wanting to test what V has learned of the world.

Hilgya returns and is *pissed* at Durkon, especially after the earfuls she got about having left as soon as she returned. Immediately, she turns around and leaves again, and bumps back into Nale. She mentions how she blames Durkon for ruining her life and is accepted back in for purposes of disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights. This still leaves the door open for things with her and Durkon to go either way.

And now the kicker...the IFCC decides to learn more about the Order, and they find out about Miko...and decide she has serious eeeeeeevil potential as well, and maniuplate someone into getting her a raise (or reanimating her as something free-willed that can speak. She won't be any fun if it's not a speaking part) and leads her to Sabine. Miko has long wanted to destroy the Order anyhow, and gains easy acceptance. Perhaps even takes Sabine up on her previous offer...even if she won't still get full value.

And that's it for my "crazy, but not so much as to be *totally* implausible" guesses. Enjoy!

Corwin Weber
2009-07-14, 12:25 AM

"There is only one way to console a widow.... but remember the risk."

- Lazarus Long

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-14, 12:46 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the ABD's son that was killed?

Her son was the one disintegrated by Varsuvius.

When she pinned V down she told him her back story, in which her husband was also killed by adventurers and turned into armor.

Optimystik
2009-07-14, 10:49 AM
If arrogance and believing in yourself were actual powers, you'd have already conquered the universe!

If he was a psion... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0494.html) :smallwink: