PDA

View Full Version : Gear?

Admiral Squish
2009-07-11, 08:46 PM
Hey, all! I'm starting up a pair of characters well outside of my normal comfort zone soon, and I need a little help. It's an ECL 10 Eberron campaign and I've got 50000G for gear. I have the feats, I have the skills, but I have no freakin' clue what to buy them for gear. I usually play big, bag beefy melee characters, and this time I'm rolling up a human psion and a halfling knight. I don't know what sort of challenges these builds would have, so I'm not really sure what they'd need to work with. I thought putting my problem up here would get the results I need.

So, ECL 10, 50k gold each. A human psion and a halfling mounted knight. Aaaand... GO!

Toliudar
2009-07-11, 09:07 PM
Well, for both of them, I'd probably be looking at a +4 item for their primary stat (int for the psion, for the knight - depends on the build). That's a third of your cash there.

The knight's going to need a decent weapon (probably +1 and an enhancement), and a secondary weapon - possibly +1, possibly masterwork.

For the psion...well, it then depends what you want the psion to do.

If you post a few more details of the builds (feats, what sub-class of psion you've picked, maybe some of the psion's powers), it'll be easier to get specific.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-11, 09:27 PM
The psion is a kineticist. Blaster-tastic. Feats are Empower Power, Maximise Power, Talented, Overchannel, Psionic Meditation, Psicrystal Affinity, Able Learner, and Psicrystal Containment. Power-wise, if it hurts things REALLY badly, I probably have it. If it has 'energy' anywhere in the name, I probably have it.

The only Idea I have for her gear is a Torc of Power Preservation. Beyond that, nada.

Honestly, the knight is a big problem. I don't really know anything about mounts, what classes make for good mounted warriors, or anything. The party needs a tank, tho, so here we are.

Thrawn183
2009-07-11, 09:37 PM
The knight needs silversheen just in case he runs up against things with DR/silver.

Generally my armor list looks like:
Magical weapon, magical armor, magical shield, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor, 2 stat boosting items (primary stat and +Con), cloak of resistance.

With one of my DM's, she likes to occaisionally throw humanoids with decked out gear, so I ignore the small items and stick everything into my armor and weapon. When the party picks up a ring of protection +3, I just ask for the old ring of protection +2 that is now useless to that character. Basically, I go all out on the gear that would be custom to my character and ignore the stuff that can be commonly found as loot.

Darrin
2009-07-11, 11:49 PM
So, ECL 10, 50k gold each. A human psion and a halfling mounted knight. Aaaand... GO!

Start with Marvelous Pigments (SRD) and Gloves of Object Reading (SRD/MIC). These will allow you to completely dismantle, tear apart, and redecorate any DM's dungeon and have him blubbering tears of shame into his own private bowl of watery death.

I'm not so familiar with Psions, but for the Knight, grab a Veil of Allure (Sandstorm or MIC, +2 DC to all Charisma-based Su/Ex abilities), and then check Person_Man's handbook:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429

After that... there are several lists of bargain magic items with a lot of bang, but some personal favorites...

Folding Boat or Feather Token/Swan Boat (SRD, 7200 GP or 450 GP): Good for battlefield control, a safer place to sleep, or drop it on top of people for 20d6 falling object damage (no save).

Wondrous Writing Set (Oriental Adventures p. 142, 2060 GP): After you dismantle your DM's favorite deathtrap dungeon, this item will help you tear apart anything more civilized. +10 untyped bonus to Forgery, which is opposed by a skill no one ever has any ranks in. Need to score some free equipment, impersonate a nobleman, break up a royal marriage, or just empty out the moneylender's vault? Paper beats rock, scissors, the whole shebang.

Edit: Nevermind, the 3.5 update in Dragon #318 got this one as well. Price went up to 2900, and the Forgery bonus is now +5 competence. This (and the price change for the Kimono of Storing) is not in the official errata, however.

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (unseen servant at will, 2000 GP):
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c

That Damn Crab A.K.A. Figurine of Wondrous T.P.K. (10000 GP):
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040320a

Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghostwalk p. 71, 3600 GP): Does everything a glove of storing does, but at a reasonable price, plus true strike 1/day. And yes, Ghostwalk did get updated to 3.5, and they left the price at 3600 GP. (I used to also mention the Kimono of Storing from Oriental Adventures, which worked like two gloves of storing, but I recently noticed that the 3.5 update for OA increased the price to 20000 GP.)

Cloak of Shelter (A&EG p. 131, 12080 GP): One of the best security devices in the game, and it's cheaper and can be used more often than a rod of security. Built in alarm, Leomund's secure shelter 1/day, and hey another one of those built-in unseen servants.

Phylactery of Change (A&EG p. 135, 11200 GP): Polymorph 1/day, but has this pesky little limitation of only going up to 7 HD (the caster level). Now go look up the Remorhaz in the MM/SRD.

Paper of Forms (Oriental Adventures p. 141, 10000 GP): Craft DC 20 to create any animal up to large size. This includes: megaraptor, dire bear, dire tiger (16HD!), fhorge (Fiend Folio).

Fiendring (Lost Empires of Faerun p. 152, 30000 GP): Change into any demon or fiendish creature summonable via summon monster I/II/III/IV 1/day for up to 12 minutes... only unlike polymorph, you get all their Ex, Su and SLA abilities.

AslanCross
2009-07-12, 01:50 AM
Get barding for your mount as well. At this point it won't even dent your 50k GP budget.

Admiral Squish
2009-07-12, 04:07 PM
For reference, I'm not looking for just any old awesome/bargain/broken gear. I'm looking for stuff that would actually fit the flavor of a knight or a psion.

So far, the psion has a torc of power preservation and a Psionatrix of psychokinesis. The knight I still haven't started on, but that's due to business. I'm not sure if knight is the right choice, though. What other sorts of characters would make good mounted warriors?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-12, 04:14 PM
Druid, or Prestige Paladin using holy mount.

Mundane animals will just get vaporized out from under you the instant anything sneezes in your general direction. If you want to do mounted combat, you either need a special animal or assume you'll be replacing it every 2-3 combats.

You can also make do with a wild cohort, but it's not the best option.