PDA

View Full Version : Weirding Wall [Spell]

Lysander
2009-07-11, 09:26 PM
This is a spell designed to block all magical forces and creatures. It'd be useful as a physical wall against magical beasts and spellcasters, as a barrier against spells, or a way of keeping magic items out. You could theoretically use it to seal up an entire building or town against magic.

Weirding Wall
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 5 Cleric 5 Bard 4
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level
Duration: 1 round /level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A Weirding Wall is a shimmering transparent barrier that only blocks magic. Any creature or object that passes through the wall has Dispel Magic cast on it, with a caster level equal to that of the creator of the wall.

Any spell that relies on line of sight cast through the wall is also subject to the dispel effect, and may be countered. Spells that affect an area that intersects the wall can also be dispelled.

The wall also physically resists magical things. Any attempt to pass through made by a magical creature, a spellcaster that still has unused spell slots, or a person carrying magical items requires a strength check (DC 15 + wall caster's level). The strength check also applies when attempting to throw a magic item through. A wall shimmers brightly and crackles when a magical thing attempts to push through. It is possible to construct a bridge out of Weirding Walls that is only solid to magical things, but if they are too heavy they may fall through. Highly magical things can overpower the wall and destroy it on contact, including magical creatures with twenty or more hit-dice, artifacts, and epic spells.

There is no way to physically harm a Weirding Wall. Dispel Magic cannot affect it, but a Greater Dispel Magic or Mage's Disjunction can destroy it, an anti-magic field temporarily suppresses it, and a lesser Globe of Invulnerability negates the dispel effect but not the physical barrier. Weirding Walls can be bypassed by teleportation spells such as Dimension Door. Though the wall impedes ethereal creatures they can often pass through the floor or ceiling around it.

Werding Walls can be made permanent with the permanency spell.

Greater Weirding Wall
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 7 Cleric 7 Bard 6
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Wall whose area is up to one 10-ft. square/level
Duration: 1 round /level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As Weirding Wall with the following changes:

*Its dispel effect is equivalent to Greater Dispel Magic instead of Dispel Magic.
*A powerful magical force must touch or intersect the field for two continuous rounds before the wall is destroyed. An instantaneous epic skill cannot destroy it, though no epic spell faces any interference.
*If destroyed by a magical creature or epic spell with less HD/caster levels than the wall creator's caster level, the wall reappears after five rounds.
*When creating the wall the caster can choose whether to make it transparent or opaque.

Hiest, monkey
2009-07-11, 10:02 PM
Neat! I like this idea.

I think dispell magic should affect it for balance's sake, but otherwise, you've obviously thought this through.

If a highly magical spell, artifact, etc. "overloads" the wall, does the spell/artifact get through?

Lysander
2009-07-11, 11:05 PM
Neat! I like this idea.

I think dispell magic should affect it for balance's sake, but otherwise, you've obviously thought this through.

If a highly magical spell, artifact, etc. "overloads" the wall, does the spell/artifact get through?

Yeah, the wall just dissipates without effect against magic that strong. Though it would still dispel any lesser magic on it. For example, an artifact or dragon turned invisible might simultaneously destroy the wall and become visible as it passes through without resistance. I suppose I should change "overload" to "overpower".

You're right about it needing a way to dispel it, but I limited it to Greater Dispel Magic. I also added a Greater version of the wall.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-12, 01:38 AM
These spells are almost exactly the same as as combination of the Otiluke's dispelling screen and refusal spells from Complete Arcane, down to the barrier area and spell level. Was this intentional (i.e., you wanted to merge the two spells for simplicity)?

Lysander
2009-07-12, 10:11 AM
These spells are almost exactly the same as as combination of the Otiluke's dispelling screen and refusal spells from Complete Arcane, down to the barrier area and spell level. Was this intentional (i.e., you wanted to merge the two spells for simplicity)?

Yeah, I wanted an all purpose anti-magical barrier. This covers a bit more territory than both of those though, blocking magical items as well. That means a person carrying a single potion would face physical resistance. It also lets through magicians that don't have any more spells to cast that day.

This also blocks magical projectiles (not orb spells though since once cast those are no longer magical).

Another major difference is that the caster can't specify who to allow through. A Weirding Wall also affects the caster.

Maldraugedhen
2009-07-12, 06:36 PM
But does it block the Weirding Way (http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Weirding_Way)?