PDA

View Full Version : The Warhammer Fantasy Tactics Thread!

BloodyAngel
2009-07-11, 10:39 PM
I've seen the 40k tactics thread up forever, but I'm more interested in elves and sorcery. So I figured I'd give a shot at throwing together a tactics thread for fantasy! I don't know if there's been one, but if so, it's certainly old... so... here goes!

I figured a good start would be for folk to post what armies they play... what armies they have trouble with... and any questions they had. Perhaps through mass communication, we can all become better generals!

Personally, I play Dark Elves as my main army (and have since 5th edition), with a smattering of Ogres and Dogs of War. I've also got some troops for Mortal Chaos, Daemons, and Greenskins. My boyfriend has a Lizardman force, and some Vampire Counts... so I've been exposed to a lot of the game. :smallamused:

Lately, I've gotten into playing my Dogs of War, as my beloved dark elves have gotten really good, and I actually preferred playing the underdog. If anyone has any good advice on playing very infantry heavy armies, I'd love to hear it. My usual force was a dragon lord, along with a smattering of fast cav, knights, chariots, and harpies. I did well with it, but lately, I've been trying to mix it up. Fellow generals... what would you say are the keys to playing a good infantry list for ANY force?

onasuma
2009-07-12, 04:30 AM
Well, I have WAY too many night goblins for someone who plays 40k like a piano (I like that metaphor now Ive said it...). Anyhow, my force basically consists of an HUGE block of squigs (very risky these days, but it annilates everything if it hits, and lots of 30 strong blocks of goblins with spears, one 40 strong block with Snarsnik and Goblar, as many level 2 casters with mushrooms as I can get into play and lots and lots of bolt throwers.

I generally find this works well, until I come up against something like a giant. I have a hell of a time wounding them so I added a few trolls and a maneater. (What else am I going to use those rare slots for, anyway...) which I found really balanced the force. I have 20 spider riders as well, but I never find them useful, compared to, say, another 3 bolt throwers.

Basically, I find have lots of infantry (as per any force), then a hard hitter (in my case, maneater + trolls) to guard each flank and something painful in the middle. My casters dont really do much, but they're targets and cost so few points its worth it to draw fire away from my 3 point each night goblins. I then normally push foreward in a w shape, slower troops puling up the rear and find most things just flee under my weight of numbers.

Rustic Dude
2009-07-12, 06:28 AM
I play Empire. And the tactics usually reduces to:

a) Set the cannons/mortars in good position. For taking out units with more than one wound. Usually Giants, I play a lot against Orks.

b) Gunline of....gunners. Yeah. Perhaps crossbowmen if I feel funny. For killing lots of lightly armored infantry.

c)Meat shields Cannon Fodder. Militia, Spearmen, or Swordmen.

d) Have some heavy hitting infantry for flanking. I use Halberdiers and Great Swormen(I love those guys)

e) Inner Circle Knights. They break morale. And skulls. :smallcool:

With those guidelines I've won against Orks(and Dark Elves too, but that was three years ago). Perhaps a bit repetitive, but I love that pseudo XVI century army.

Against some of my friends that play Chaos, Wood Elves, and Tomb Kings(I think that's their name) I only get lots, and ots of draws. Bloody, devastating draws.

Anyways, I haven't played since 2007. Maybe nowadays the things are different.

BloodyAngel
2009-07-12, 07:32 AM
I used to play my dark elves very MSU (Multiple Small Units, for the unfamiliar), with light cav running flank and heavies up the middle. My maneuvering was excellent, but I had to really blast away at tougher formations of men to have a chance, and any time I didn't charge in with at least two units, I would struggle to pull off a win. Still, I did alright. A chariot to the front and a unit of fast cav to the flank will break most units that aren't pimped out like mad. At least, it used to.

Lately, I've grown fond of the idea of ranked infantry. Mostly because I like the challenge, and the look. A formation of grim-faced elves in full armor with murder on their minds just touches me in places I shouldn't mention. :smalltongue:

I like the idea of a raving horde of witch elves... supported by bulk spearmen and crossbowmen, with an elite regiment of black guard or executioners for good measure. The usual trick is to push in he harpies first, who serve mainly as a screen for my infantry... then to crash in behind them, and rip people apart. MY main two problems with this are mostly that A: I don't have the models for it (as I spent years building the cav-heavy list) and B: I've never done infantry focused lists... and playing an aggressive one is difficult. I try to avoid a "Druchii gunline", but I have to admit, it would make things easier.

For my Dogs of War, I tend to set up more defensive minded, with a slew of mages in large infantry blocks (pikemen or dwarves usually) who are then screened by pistol wielding duelists that I am oddly fond of, after one... whom I have named "Fredrico", killed three bretonnian knights charging his unit. (One with his stand and shoot... two in the eventual melee) It was sheer dumb, hilarious luck... but they screen well and bait well, so I keep them. I support my shooting with a few cannons and crossbowmen... just enough to encourage people to come at me... then try to stick them up on my larger blocks long enough to swing in and flank them with cavalry I leave on the sidelines.

This is the best approach I've come up with... I might end up playing wood elves later today, in fact... so it should be a blast. Anyone got any suggestions on how to take down the tricky little tree-huggers? I know magic works wonders. Anything else?

Rustic Dude
2009-07-12, 08:47 AM
For my Dogs of War, I tend to set up more defensive minded, with a slew of mages in large infantry blocks (pikemen or dwarves usually)

This is the best approach I've come up with... I might end up playing wood elves later today, in fact... so it should be a blast. Anyone got any suggestions on how to take down the tricky little tree-huggers? I know magic works wonders. Anything else?

First, a question: ¿How do you acquired your pikemen mercenaries? I can't find them in the local Games Workshop, and they look like friggin sweet.

Second, against wood elves, I'd use cannon fodder. Perhaps some area damaging artillery too, like the mortars, but never expensive 1-wound units. the Forestals are real knight killers, and losing 75 points(3 knights) because six of them are hiding in a forest it's annoying.

BloodyAngel
2009-07-12, 09:02 AM
I use my dark elf spearmen as proxies for them. :smallredface:

My entire Dogs of War army is proxied, in fact. I'd love to set up a real one, using all manner of empire troops and the like... but for now, my budget isn't so great.

Woot Spitum
2009-07-14, 01:15 PM
I started Warhammer Fantasy recently as the Wood Elves. So far I've been pretty happy with my army, even though it hasn't been updated in a while. As far as tactics go, I prefer to use Glade Guard and retreating Dryads to lure my opponents into the center of the board, then combo charge them with my Dryads and Wild Riders. I've done pretty well in 1500 point games, but I'm not sure how things would go in a higher points battle. I imagine things would be more difficult if I had less room to maneuver.

BloodyAngel
2009-07-14, 02:05 PM
Wood elves are still quite good... especially in the hands of a good player. They were one of the better armies in the old edition, and they're pretty well-balanced out now. (they suffer a bit in magic) They're also a lot of fun to play, and have awesome models. I strongly considered playing them as my first army, in fact. If I ever get the money, I might pick them up someday, if only to paint. They look amazing!

Pilum
2009-07-14, 04:30 PM
Sometime Empire player here. As someone who trusts in infantry and even with a Bretonnian force would expect little more from the cavalry than to scarper at the first sign of a psychology test :smallwink:, I've developed a few thoughts. Nothing radical, though.

1. Unit strength. Yes, yes, ok, easier to go large with some than others, but I usually trust in static CR. Doesn't involve my dice rolling abilities so can't go wrong! IF possible I would certainly have at least 20 if I was using the Anvil theory (below) and preferably more to absorb casualties and keep that +3 rank bonus going as long as possible.

2. Number of units. Here's where Empire REALLY shines thanks to the Detachment system, but most generals could benefit from thinking in the same way. Having multiple units to threaten flanks or tempt over-extension by fleeing from a charge, for instance, helps, especially when the opponent KNOWS what you're up to but can't simply ignore it.

3. Decide who are the hammers and who are the anvils. I tip my hat to an anonymous internet guy who wrote a very useful Empire primer. Essentially, Anvil units need to be big and resistant. EG swordsmen - cost the same as spears or halberds but have slightly better stats and a better save. Harder to hit, harder to kill. Hammer units do the damage. These were obviously detachments of halberds or free company - essentially anything that throws lots of dice or carries heavy lumps of metal. Smaller than the Anvils but as they're aimed at flanks ONLY (where possible) they can afford to be smaller. With some good co-ordination your heavy cavalry can also fill this role, provided they're not needed for something else - such as stopping opposing heavy cavalry doing this!

4. Cover all areas where possible. Advance in echelon, anchor flanks on difficult ground, plan your advances.

5. Battle Standards And Generals Are Your Friends. OK, true enough for even cavalry armies, but as infantry forces are usually more clumped together and NOT haring off halfway across the battlefield that 12" circle (and whatever radius a special ability has) becomes more and more important.

I'll admit, much of this is a lot easier with Empire - and in truth, in my DE the only 'Anvil' unit is a spear block that generally gets left behind to mind the bags while the Black Guard and Corsairs do some truly horrific things to whatever I point them at, but DE are almost pure Hammer anyway.

BloodyAngel
2009-07-14, 06:59 PM
Hmmmm... I'll consider what you said, Pilium. I've been playing it with core blocks of solid troops screened by harpies and supported by crossbowmen on the flanks to wipe out flankers and soften up large blocks. One of my main opponents is an Empire player, and while he's new and not so good yet, I can see how the detachment rules make them do infantry very, VERY well.

I think all I need is practice with it... but since I moved, I don't really know any local players, and the nearest hobby shop to me is a good hour away, which sucks as I am carless.