PDA

View Full Version : Eating magic..

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 12:07 AM
In 3.5 D&D how many races, templates, classes and abilties from feats are there that absord/consume/rebound/re-use arcane/divine spells/psionics?

I know of Spellwarped and Spellfirewielder.
There was something I saw which gives you a huge SR and you gain bonuses for spells that fail to penetrate it. But I cannot remember what that was now..if it was a race, class or template. :P

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 12:11 AM
I believe you are wanting this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm).

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 12:14 AM
No. I don't want magic items or spells.

Just Classes, Races, Templates and Feats.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-12, 12:21 AM
Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a)?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 12:22 AM
No. I don't want magic items or spells.

There was a Rogue/monk/scout/ranger ACF which replaced Evasion with Spell Reflection which returns any RTA to sender, postage due. This works well with the Rogue/Barbarian ACF which replaces Trap Sense with a like bonus to AC against RTA spells...

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 12:23 AM
Spellthief (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a)?

rofl how could I forget spellthief.. thanks.

Anything else?

Glimbur
2009-07-12, 12:58 AM
Karsite from Tome of Magic. Template, gives scaling SR.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 01:34 AM
Karsite from Tome of Magic. Template, gives scaling SR.

That is awesome!
:)

I also remembered that Dread Witch from Heroes of Horror gives SR and allows you to do things with fear spells.

Q: Does SR from different sources stack?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 01:47 AM
That is awesome!
:)

I also remembered that Dread Witch from Heroes of Horror gives SR and allows you to do things with fear spells.

Q: Does SR from different sources stack?

A: No, they overlap

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 01:49 AM
A: No, they overlap

lol. Which makes no sense.
You only get one SR check, so they cannot overlap.

So you chose the highest SR and use that, would be the answer if they don't stack.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 01:52 AM
lol. Which makes no sense.
You only get one SR check, so they cannot overlap.

So you chose the highest SR and use that, would be the answer if they don't stack.

If one form of SR gets negated somehow, you still have another form of SR to rely on.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 01:56 AM
If one form of SR gets negated somehow, you still have another form of SR to rely on.

Except that everything that negates SR negates all SR or ignores it completely.
Making the whole thing pointless.

I think I am starting to see why everyone considders SR to be a pathetic waste of time. lol.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 01:58 AM
Except that everything that negates SR negates all SR or ignores it completely.
Making the whole thing pointless.

I think I am starting to see why everyone considders SR to be a pathetic waste of time. lol.

Yea, SR is pretty pointless with all the ways to ignore it. Orb of X series come to mind pretty strongly... as does all Conjuration battlefield control

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 02:00 AM
Making Carasite a really really bad race.

lol.

Is there anything like spell absorbtion for psionics?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-07-12, 02:02 AM
Making Carasite a really really bad race.

lol.

Is there anything like spell absorbtion for psionics?

Mmmm... not that I can think of offhand. I know there's some psionic critters which will steal PP, and I know of Power Leech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/powerLeech.htm) but you were not wanting to look at spells/powers... I dunno.

Adumbration
2009-07-12, 02:32 AM
Residual Rebound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#residualRebound) is not very powerful, but it's one more line of defence.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 02:34 AM
Residual Rebound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#residualRebound) is not very powerful, but it's one more line of defence.

Pretty cool. :)
But with the Spellfire wielder feat any spell that targets the character gets consumed to no effect.
SR might be the best way to avoid area effects.

Darrin
2009-07-12, 06:24 AM

Spellward Shirt or Dread Carapace from MoI (SR = 4 x essentia + 5). Note of annoyance: soulmelds can be dispelled, although you can mitigate this a bit with a couple spellblades (PGF p. 120) or a soulstone (MIC p. 137).

Oh, there's an interesting PrC in the Waterdeep book that gives SR... Gray Hand Enforcer 4 gives you SR = 5 + character level.

From the List of Stuff:

Spell Resistance
Monk
Tattoed Monk 7, ecl 12, Complete Warrior, SR = 15+class
Enlightened Fist 9, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, SR = 10 + monk + class
Contemplative 7, ecl 17, Complete Divine, SR = 15 + class
Ur-priest 4, ecl 9, Complete Divine, SR = 15 against divine spells and SLA of outsiders, SR = 20 at level 8
Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 7, ecl 12, Draconomicon, SR=15+class level
Spellward Shirt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Defiant 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook, 15+class level, against divine mind affecting spells only, against all divine spells at level 10
Defiant 6, ecl 11, Planar Handbook, bestow SR on target, see text
Warrior of Darkness 8, ecl 13, Book of Vile Darkness, SR 20 (does not improve)
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl 16, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20 (does not improve)
Karsite, race, Tome of Magic, LA +2, SR= 10+class
Bauriar, race, Planar Handbook, LA +1, SR= 10+class
Daazzix's Vest, wondrous item, DMG2, +5 to SR
Boost Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Vile Darkness, +2 to SR (profane)
Gray Hand Enforcer 4, ecl 11, FR: Waterdeep - City of Splendors, SR = 5 + character level
Court Herald 12, ecl 19, Power of Faerun, SR = character level
Mythic Examplar (Ktolemagne) 8, ecl 12, Complete Champion, SR = 10 + arcane caster level
Exalted Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, +4 (untyped) to SR vs spells and SLA of evil outsiders
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20
Swanmay 1, ecl 6, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR = 12 + Swanmay levels
Silver Key 5, ecl 8, Dragonmarked, "Sly Soul"
Psychic Refusal, feat, Drow of the Underdark, +4 to SR vs mind-affecting spells and abilities

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 07:08 AM
Bauriar seem perfect.
In my copy of the Planar Handbook they have 11+Class levels SR.
Was this errata'd down to 10 or is it a mistake?

Darrin
2009-07-12, 07:24 AM
Bauriar seem perfect.
In my copy of the Planar Handbook they have 11+Class levels SR.
Was this errata'd down to 10 or is it a mistake?

Annoyingly, no. And do take note, it says class level, not character level, so if you multiclass you could ruin your SR progression. Although since there is no Bauriar "class", you could probably get any reasonable DM to handwave this to be 11 + character level.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 07:27 AM
Annoyingly, no. And do take note, it says class level, not character level, so if you multiclass you could ruin your SR progression. Although since there is no Bauriar "class", you could probably get any reasonable DM to handwave this to be 11 + character level.

Well yes, it does not make sense at all.
lol.

But in the book it says 11+whatever.
where as it was quoted as being 10+whatever.

I was just making sure that this was not a mistake but due to a later errata maybe.

Teron
2009-07-12, 07:35 AM
Darrin, I'm pretty sure "class levels" in this usage counts all your classes, by RAI if not RAW; it's just meant to exclude level adjustments. Gaiyamato, SR equal to 11 plus CR or class levels is pretty common since it means a spellcaster of the same level with no boosts to his caster level has a 50% chance to beat it. If the book says it's so for the bariaur, I'm sure it's intended.

The incantifier PrC from Dragon #339 gives you SR and lets you absorb spells that fail to beat it and charges from items to heal yourself or replenish spell slots. However, that becomes the only way you can be healed, it only has a 3/5 casting progression, and since the SR is based on class levels you'll have to find some other way to boost it after you max out the class. Probably not that good for a PC, unless the wording (which I don't remember exactly) and the DM let you abuse it with at-will spell-like abilities.

I think I'll check my copy for the details a bit later and see if any good uses come to mind.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 07:44 AM
Yeah Incantifier was what I was trying to think of in my first post. Thanks for that.

Just add Tomb Tainted Soul and you can heal with Negative energy (though positive energy will now damage you).

Personally I think that Spellfire is a slightly better option than Incantifier. Though Incantifier is a great option for a mage over Lich I think.

Claudius Maximus
2009-07-12, 06:31 PM
I don't know if this is relevant, but there are monsters called Aoa or something from the Fiend Folio. They eat magic and have reflective spell resistance. The smaller ones can be summoned with Summon Monster IV (or at least I think it's IV).

Another possible tangent: Death Giants can heal with both positive and negative energy.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-12, 06:59 PM
I remember there's something in unearthed arcana.

Alleine
2009-07-12, 07:02 PM
Spellfire is really only good if you have some way to take an extra standard action every round, like say going factotum 8. In order to absorb spells you have to ready an action to absorb them, which takes a standard action and usually means you just lost all ability to be useful for that turn. You also need to hope that you didn't waste your time by reading yourself for a spell that doesn't come that round.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 07:11 PM
Spellfire is really only good if you have some way to take an extra standard action every round, like say going factotum 8. In order to absorb spells you have to ready an action to absorb them, which takes a standard action and usually means you just lost all ability to be useful for that turn. You also need to hope that you didn't waste your time by reading yourself for a spell that doesn't come that round.

Very true.
Some way to ready it without losing the rounds action would be good.

Now there is a thought. If you have two different methods of absorbing and using spell energy, would readying the absorb from Spellfire take precendence?
Which effect would trigger?

Say Incantifier and Spellfire Wielder.