PDA

View Full Version : 4E/GSL-Based Sci-Fi RPG - Metamorphosis Alpha

RTGoodman
2009-07-12, 12:43 AM
Just caught wind of this on Twitter, but apparently the folks at Signal Fire Studios LLC are looking to release a GSL-based (and fully 4E-compatible) sci-fi adventure RPG in January - an update of what seems to be, according to the internet, the "first science fiction roleplaying game," Metamorphosis Alpha. Here's the scoop from their website (http://www.signalfirestudios.com/?p=96):

Action-Adventure Science Fiction Returns with Metamorphosis Alpha

Signal Fire Studios LLC is proud to announce that 2010 will see the publication of the newest incarnation of the very first science fiction role playing game, Metamorphosis Alpha! Using the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition game rules, players take on the role of mutated humans, plants, and animals and experience sci-fi action-adventure.

“The chance to work on Metamorphosis Alpha is really exciting,” says Jamie Chambers, President of Signal Fire Studios. “It’s a fun mix of nostalgia for those who’ve followed MA over the years, new rules for fans of D&D4e, and a chance to really embrace the ‘dungeon in space’ concept that the original game was created with.” The story of Metamorphosis Alpha centers on the Starship Warden, a massive generation ship stricken by a catastrophe. Its population of humans, plants, and animals are left mutated and unaware that the world they live on is actually a huge vessel traveling among the stars.

The Metamorphosis Alpha Player’s Guide is the first product in the series, and offers many new options for D&D players. It includes new races, from genetically-altered humans to self-aware plants. Four brand-new character classes, one for each of the game’s tactical roles, draw on the Mutant power source. Each is supplemented by paragon paths, epic destinies, and feats. The book also expands upon the skill system, adding the Tech skill and rules for discovering and understanding high-tech items. The book is tentatively set for publication in January 2010.

The Starship Warden sourcebook offers a comprehensive campaign setting for the 4th edition D&D rules. It gives the Dungeon Master an array of mutant creatures, androids, and other threats to challenge the heroes. In addition, this second book includes suggestions for ways to integrate the new rules with other settings or the creation of original campaigns that mix the science fiction and fantasy elements in exciting new ways.

James M. Ward, the creator and author of Metamorphosis Alpha for TSR, Inc. in the 1970s and designer of the classic MA’s own Fourth Edition, looks forward to this newest version of his creation. “D&D 4th Edition is bringing a lot of people back to the exploration, discovery, and tactical fun of the old days of the game,” says Ward. “In the early years of Dragon Magazine I wrote an article about how to combine MA with D&D. These new products will be the first time that idea is fully explored.” Ward is working with the MA design team to offer his insight and vision to the new products.

It’s important to lead designer and writer, Cam Banks, that this iteration of Metamorphosis Alpha offers the best of both worlds. “I want our MA books to be fully compatible and interchangeable with existing D&D4e and GSL products,” says Banks. “If someone wants to play a Mutant Feline Enforcer in a traditional fantasy world, the rules will support that. If a wormhole opens up and drops a Warlock into the middle of the Warden, that won’t be a huge problem, either. There’s a lot of great options, so each gaming group can make use of the new Metamorphosis Alpha products in whatever way they want. It’s fantasy meeting science-fiction head on.”

The Metamorphosis Alpha product line for D&D 4th Edition is being produced under the terms of the Game System License from Wizards of the Coast. Full details and release dates for the first two products, as well as news regarding adventures, sourcebooks, and online support materials will be announced soon.

www.metamorphosisalpha.net
www.signalfirestudios.com

Jamie Chambers
jamie@signalfirestudios.com

I'm looking forward to this. I don't know the old system at all, but I like the idea of developers branching out and trying new things with the GSL, and sci-fi seems like an interesting first step (especially with them, as they say, keeping it fully compatible with standard D&D). Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Asbestos
2009-07-13, 02:54 PM
Seems interesting, something that might also be worth checking out is Amethyst. (http://www.diasexmachina.com/) Its like some crazy sci-fi/fantasy 4e Earth.

Xion_Anistu-san
2009-07-14, 01:52 AM
Ever since 4E came out, I've said it would make for a really cool game setting other than the usual medieval genre. In fact, I think 4E would make a way better modern or future game setting. It would be very easy to make up a hand full of classes and a listing of powers to chose from with all the flavor of a modern/future/sci-fi game. Just use the 4E powers and classes as a model. You could even make your own races using the Monster Manual PC races listed in the back as a guide. It's all there.

hamlet
2009-07-14, 07:40 AM
Maybe, but I don't see the good in dredging up Metamorphosis Alpha again. Let that one alone and come up with your own Science Fantasy adventure type setting and game.

Just grabbing an old IP and grafting it onto the new rule set is uncreative and just a little insulting to those who enjoyed the game years ago.