PDA

View Full Version : What's a good module to run for a homebrew test?

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-12, 05:40 AM
Hey all!

I'm planning on running a fairly large scale 3.5e campaign this fall/winter on the PBP forums; and right now I'm in the process of doing up some homebrew rules to fit the setting.

I've got the basics done for the biggest of these homebrew rules - seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116417); but in order to make sure it will work (and test a few of the worries people have understandably expressed about it) I need to run a game with this system in-use.

Now, initially I figured I'd just homebrew a quickie dungeon and that'd be that. But then I realized something that I have, in fact, never done...

I've never run an official D&D module. Never even thought about it honestly; since as a DM I usually prefer to make up my own story.

However since this isn't a campaign, just a test run, and thus my motivation to build is... well, non-existent... I was thinking this would be a good time to dig one up. >.<

First I have to warn you: I've never played a module either. I only know the names of a handful, and know absolutely nothing about any of them >.<

So here's what I need, if anyone is able to offer some advice -

I need a module fit for:

A level 2-4 party (preferably the lower end of the scale)

An adventure that is rather self-contained (not going to require a prior adventure to understand, nor one that's going to automatically feel like it leads to another)

Medium-ish length

Combat heavy - This is crucial, since the system I desperately need to test is combat based. (RP is perfectly fine of course - I'd just prefer to steer away from anything intrigue-heavy)

Preferably humanoid opponents for the most part. The campaign the ruleset is designed for will mostly be against humanoids. (That said, if there are a few unusual critters involved, that'll help test that aspect as well) >.<

4-6 person party

I hope those requirements aren't too specific <x.x> (Like I said, this is one area of D&D I have never actually messed with) Even if you've got something that doesn't quite mesh but is close - let me know!

Main goal is shaking down my system; but I do have a tertiary goal of "everyone have a good time" too hehe <@_@>b

AslanCross
2009-07-12, 06:14 AM
You might find what you are looking for here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1)

Triaxx
2009-07-12, 06:19 AM
My personal favorite?

Is actually the Nashkel mines from Baldur's Gate. Three levels, miners on the upper level, Kobolds on the second and third levels, and an interior room with a boss fight with a cleric. Replace the kobolds with humans if you want, or replace with whatever enemies are appropriate. The levels are suitably complex, but not overwhelming.

Even a few traps to keep the rogues happy. Also comes with a few monsters standard in the form of oozes, giant spiders, and cadaverous undead.

Ninetail
2009-07-12, 03:01 PM
Sunless Citadel isn't bad for testing purposes. It's very much a "standard" D&D adventure.

herrhauptmann
2009-07-12, 03:05 PM
Sunless citadel is 3.0, not 3.5, so it needs a few changes here and there.
Like the magic sword at the end of it has different stats from 3.0 to 3.5.

The burning plague is pretty good.
A dark and stormy knight is also good, though I think it needs to be changed a little cuz the boss fight is strictly meh.
Something's cooking was outstanding when I ran it for my party.

mistformsquirrl
2009-07-12, 11:27 PM
Thanks all <^-^>m much appreciated. Not totally sure what I'm going with yet; but at least I have a direction now! Much appreciated!