PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Item - Rocks of Turning?

Thespianus
2009-07-12, 10:27 AM
As I was thumbing through the pages of Complete Champion earlier today, I stumbled across a Cleric spell I haven't seen before: Sacred Item (lvl 4).

Sacred Item charges a target object with Positive Energy, which will discharge when the item is touched by or the item is touching an undead or evil outsider or shapechanger. It will then do 1D4/caster level worth of positive energy damage (no save) (Max 10D4)

Also, if the target is an undead, it must succeed on a Will save against Fear, or flee in terror for 1D4 minutes.

If the undead saves, it is instead "merely" Shaken for the same period of time. In short: The effect of the spell against an undead is like a turning attempt that also delivers damage to the target, and always leaves the undead at least Shaken.

Now, here's the extera jelly: The duration of the spell is permanent until discharged, ie the item remains charged until it is touched by one of the above mentioned targets.

So, what I envision is a Handy Haversack, a pile of rocks (or darts) and a 7th level Cleric with a week or so of downtime. With 3-4 4th level spells / day, that means 21-28 Rocks'o'Turning in a bag. Give the bag (or bags) to each melee party member, and as soon as they meet undeads, they start raining thrown hell on the poor undeads, who will flee left and right, if they survive the first round of pain.

How come I haven't seen this spell mentioned before on the boards? Maybe I'm just very forgetful, but even a search reveals very few mentions.

Essentially, this seems like a superb way of boosting the party's strength when venturing into undead territory.

Any opinions? Comments? Go at it... :)

Indon
2009-07-12, 10:32 AM
A less obviously exploitative version of this would be to sanctify part of the ammunition each character uses for their ranged weapon - sling bullets, arrows, darts, etc, and use that as a potential anti-undead stockpile.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-12, 10:58 AM
It's CChamp, that's why. A lot of that book is borderline.

Thespianus
2009-07-12, 11:08 AM
A less obviously exploitative version of this would be to sanctify part of the ammunition each character uses for their ranged weapon - sling bullets, arrows, darts, etc, and use that as a potential anti-undead stockpile.

True, it just seemed like more fun to throw rocks. :)

TSED
2009-07-12, 11:15 AM
Give the rocks to the halfling rogue (along with a sling); now he won't sit in the corner and twiddle his thumbs for the combat. Hurray!

Mr.Moron
2009-07-12, 11:28 AM
Pretty awesome. I'd rather put on arrows than rocks though, rocks don't have much range on 'em. I think I'll hand off a fistful or two of these to the party archer.

Thespianus
2009-07-12, 12:20 PM
Pretty awesome.
Yeah. that's pretty much what I thought too. In an undead-heavy campaign, this seems to be the ultimate weapon for Rogue-type characters who can't deliver any precision damage to those pesky undeads.

Good stuff! :)