PDA

View Full Version : New Weapon

Bil123
2005-10-26, 05:02 PM
Light Melee Weapon (Masterwork exotic weapon)
Poniard 8gp 1d4 18-20/x2 3lb Slashing 10 ft.

Poniards are slightly longer than normal daggers and have triangular blades. They are used as an auxilairy weapon for footmen. Poniards can be used with any other weapon as long as it isn't a two handed weapon you recive a -2 penalty

chiefwaha
2005-10-26, 05:06 PM
Overbalanced. Its the same thing as a scimitar, but light, and a simple weapon.

Adghar
2005-10-26, 05:08 PM
Mechanically, this weapon is overpowered. More than 4 gp, definitely. It looks like it's mini-scimitar that's also Light and Simple, and apparently you can throw it up to 15 ft. without penalty...

ILM
2005-10-26, 05:09 PM
1d6 18-20*2 is a martial, one-handed weapon's stats, not light, simple. Weapons in D&D are built on a point-buy basis.

And don't you mean 'Poignard' ?

Edit : and the above poster has a point on the range increment.

amanodel
Too strong for a simple weapon. I maen It's better than the short sword, or any other martial weapons.

In fact it's a rapier, but slightly lighter and cheaper. With throwing distance.

It could be an exotic light weapon by it's current stats.

Premier
They're also called poignards.

MrNexx
2005-10-26, 05:43 PM
and really, they're just a slightly different variation on the dagger.

Thomas
2005-10-26, 06:24 PM
The dagger, which, in D&D, includes all manner of knives, main-gauches, parrying daggers, stilettos, puukkos, and so on. Definitely no need for a new entry for the poignard.

Adagio
2005-10-26, 06:27 PM
Might it be balanced as an exotic weapon?

prufock
2005-10-26, 06:43 PM
and really, they're just a slightly different variation on the dagger.

Physically, it sounds like an intermediate of dagger and short sword, but it's more powerful than both. It shouldn't be doing more damage than a short sword. Take a cue from the PHB when they mention Katanas as a masterwork bastard sword. Make the Poniard/Poignard a masterwork dagger.

Bil123
2005-10-27, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback I changed the stats to some of your suggestion.

Bil123
2005-10-27, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback I changed the stats to some of your suggestion.

TheFuzzyNerd
2005-10-27, 06:23 PM
DOUBLE-POSTING MADNESS!!!!!
ARGLEFARGLEMARGLE

Leperflesh
2005-10-27, 07:05 PM
The triangular blade implies that this is a weapon primarily for piercing... in fact, one designed to puncture maille.

The size implies that it's not intended for throwing at all.

Do correct me if I'm misunderstanding, though.

-Lep

FlashFire
2005-10-28, 08:29 AM
"No sir, I don't like it.... nope nope nope".

I dunno... just seems a little overbalanced, and I have to ditto that the "Dagger" category does include these. Perhaps you should look at the 2e entries for Main Gauche for inspiration on what to do with "dagger alternates".

Bakunin
2005-10-28, 08:52 AM
Expanding on someone's point about how poniards fall under daggers... well, yeah. Just like a longsword is effectively meant to cover the FIFTY BILLION different kinds of three-foot blades you hold in one hand, the battle axe meant to cover any sort of heavy one handed war axe, and so forth. It's simply not necessary.... and overpowered. *grin*

-Bak

Sundog
2005-10-28, 12:33 PM
It's a punch dagger. No need for any special rules.

MrNexx
2005-10-28, 12:49 PM

Different triangle, Sundog.

The masterwork dagger the OP was talking about has a triangular cross-section... if you sundered the blade, you'd have an equilateral triangle. The punch dagger has a triangular face, but more of an ovoid cross section.

Fnord
2005-10-28, 02:22 PM
Light Melee Weapon (Masterwork exotic weapon)
Poniard 8gp 1d4 18-20/x2 3lb Slashing 10 ft.

It's worth mentioning, that this weapon has almost the exact same stats as the kukri, which is a light martial weapon. The only difference is the 10 ft. range increment, and also the fact that, well, it's an exotic weapon. Why put a feat towards that when you can have a kukri instead?

Geech000
2005-10-28, 03:00 PM
long as it isn't a two handed weapon.

Do you mean they don't recieve the standard penelties for fighting with two weapons? If so, that is probably overpowered. I concur with everyone else who has said you should just use the dagger stats. If you must have a poignard, write Poignard in the weapon entry and use the dagger stats.

Also, if it is masterwork (implying a +1 on attack rolls) you should up the cost by 300 gp, the standard masterwork cost.

Sundog
2005-10-28, 03:48 PM
on Today at 12:33pm, Sundog wrote:

Different triangle, Sundog.

The masterwork dagger the OP was talking about has a triangular cross-section... if you sundered the blade, you'd have an equilateral triangle. The punch dagger has a triangular face, but more of an ovoid cross section.

If you're talking a Qatar, you're quite correct. But a triangular cross-sectioned weapon could not be used with the traditional slashing methods of a regular dagger, but would be useful only when stabbing. So, I would classify it as a punch dagger.