PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 and you. (and by "You" we mean any other game on Steam).

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 06:14 PM
Fifty pages means new thread, so, yeah.

How about that Valve software?

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 06:20 PM
Hmm...so I guess Rustkarn's right about the "critical mass" server attaining strategy. I'm just worried that either:

1) There won't be room for some of us (Lawful)

2) Others will pop in (Chaotic)

But unless we either make our own server (and suffer from high pings) or be jerks and take over one of the 20 sided servers...these might be the only options. :smallannoyed:

Rutskarn
2009-07-12, 06:38 PM
As long as we get 24 people, we can okay I can't finish that sentence.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 06:51 PM
First page.

It's not possible to lock down servers is it?

NeoVid
2009-07-12, 06:56 PM
To break the TF2 streak, I'm going to bring up the fact that I'm finally playing through HL2 and the Episodes.

I hatehatehate headcrab zombies. And I haven't even run into a Zombine yet.

That is all.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 07:06 PM
To break the TF2 streak, I'm going to bring up the fact that I'm finally playing through HL2 and the Episodes.

I hatehatehate headcrab zombies. And I haven't even run into a Zombine yet.

That is all.

Zombines are hilarious. Seriously though, HL2/Lost Cost/Eps 1 & 2, are like the ****ing pinacle of single player gaming for me. I love them.

Archangel Yuki
2009-07-12, 07:42 PM
We could always take over one of the Penny Arcade servers. Passworded and 24 man. So no random people would drop in.

wojonatior
2009-07-12, 07:45 PM
Ditto.

And me and 2 people were playing front line engineers, on attack, and so up to wherever we took ground there would be 3 sentries, teleporters, and dispensers.
I have some screenshots i will upload to photobucket and post here soon.

TheLogman
2009-07-12, 07:46 PM
I like that silly radio chatter the Zombines make.

Who are they talking to?

Can you imagine being an Combine Officer on duty? Little or no sleep, terrible work conditions, the people hate you. And the worst part is when you actually have to WORK. That Freeman jerk just killed the contingent your brother was in, along with the rest of his friends and family. And now you have to work even longer hours when the boss has to get moved for "safety reasons".

But to top it all off, you're just surfing the radio channels one day, when you come upon the channel your brother used to broadcast on. You're about to reassign it to a new recruit. You listen carefully. It's your brother, kinda. He's in pain, his screams reaching an unholy level comparable only to the "recruit manufacturing centers" at the HQ. He continues to scream something you can't even understand. You hear a grenade being pulled. Is he in combat? Where has he been since that headcrab missile accident a month ago? Who is he fighting?

Then, an explosion.

Silence.

Zombines are more horrible in a number of respects than a regular zombie. Their final action in this tortured existence is suicide, hoping that their last moments will not only end the pain but the crab.

And most importantly, the Freeman. Even in this separate dimension of torment, he does his noble duty to destroy the greatest target imaginable.

That and I like that they make the funny noises.

Plus, 9 times out of 10, I kill the Zombine with its own 'nade. Make them look silly for even pulling the thing, considering their massive HP.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 07:48 PM
I always relished slaughtering the combine. The part in the house in Episode 2. Ooooh man. <3

Worira
2009-07-12, 07:56 PM
I, too, have started playing HL2. Please do not be throwing too many spoilers around.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 07:57 PM
Dr. Breen is Gordon Freeman's father and Alyx Vance is his sister.

TheLogman
2009-07-12, 08:02 PM
The Cake is a Spy!

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 08:09 PM
The Cake is a Spy!

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/838/cakeisaspyve6.jpg

Joran
2009-07-12, 08:09 PM
I finished Half-Life 2 and never went into either of the episodes. Worthwhile?

I call this the Ender's Game or Dune theory. For the longest time, I wouldn't read the sequel of a great book on the theory that the sequels can't possibly live up to the first and I don't want to sully my memory of the first.

Of course, I already violated this with Half-Life 1 and then Half-Life 2, but I can't pry myself away from TF2 or L4D.

Crispy Dave
2009-07-12, 08:12 PM
Dr. Breen is Gordon Freeman's father and Alyx Vance is his sister.

ok that was good

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 08:14 PM

I call this the Ender's Game or Dune theory. For the longest time, I wouldn't read the sequel of a great book on the theory that the sequels can't possibly live up to the first and I don't want to sully my memory of the first.

Of course, I already violated this with Half-Life 1 and then Half-Life 2, but I can't pry myself away from TF2 or L4D.

Play.

Episode 1's a little less fun than main HL2, but the buddy AI for Alyx is pretty amazing. Also: D0g.

And Episode 2 is flat out amazing. Beginning to end awesomeness. Also has D0g.

Worira
2009-07-12, 08:26 PM
Besides, there's a pretty big margin below HL2 that I'm willing to play, especially if the game is effectively free.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 08:28 PM
Episode 2 has some of the best HL2 moments ever. Seriously, part of me wants to say I like it more than the main game.

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 08:29 PM
Episode 2 has some of the best HL2 moments ever. Seriously, part of me wants to say I like it more than the main game.

The only downside is less Barney.

This is compensated for with over 100% more Adam Baldwin.

Starbuck_II
2009-07-12, 08:31 PM
I'm currently playing on steam The Last Remnant.

I like how you are always a squad.

Kyouhen
2009-07-12, 08:46 PM
I'm currently playing on steam The Last Remnant.

I like how you are always a squad.

Ok, I have to ask. Have you ever played Ogre Battle 64 and is The Last Remnant as similar to it as it sounds?

Phase
2009-07-12, 09:07 PM

Aye, Episode Two is the pinnacle of gaming. Perfect from start to finish, and the Hunters make me cower in fear.

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 09:11 PM
Aye, Episode Two is the pinnacle of gaming. Perfect from start to finish, and the Hunters make me cower in fear.

Well, I'd call Orange Box as a whole the pinnacle.

And I stopped fearing Hunters when I learned to properly appreciate my kick arse Dodge Charger.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-12, 09:14 PM
I recently bought Deus Ex off of steam. I don't know why I haven't played this game before.

Simply. Awesome.

edit: Also how much of a problem is it really if some non-gitp dudes join the games. As long as we say "this time, this day, gitp people flood the d20 servers" it should be alot of fun.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 09:19 PM
I wanna do an organized scrim. :<

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 09:21 PM
I recently bought Deus Ex off of steam. I don't know why I haven't played this game before.

Simply. Awesome.

edit: Also how much of a problem is it really if some non-gitp dudes join the games. As long as we say "this time, this day, gitp people flood the d20 servers" it should be alot of fun.

I'm planning on getting Deus Ex off steam as soon as I get enough cash. Played up to the MJ-12 facility without any intentional kills on the gametap version, and I plan on playing again without letting anyone die on my watch.

The bit on the plane may be a mite tricky to repeat, though.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 09:27 PM
Deus Ex is one of the best games ever. Make out rifles, get a sniper rifle and put a silencer on it. You can wipe out every enemy in sight without discovery, and even kill enemies close up. It also gives your shotguns perfect accuracy.

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 09:34 PM
Deus Ex is one of the best games ever. Make out rifles, get a sniper rifle and put a silencer on it. You can wipe out every enemy in sight without discovery, and even kill enemies close up. It also gives your shotguns perfect accuracy.

The Sniper Rifle is a coward's weapon. We will not use it. We do not need it.

Real men use the police baton.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-12, 09:38 PM
I've mostly been using the silenced pistol and rifle. Though I will totally use the combat knife whenever the situation allows for it.

Question: Is there a place to charge your energy (or whatever its called, the stuff used for your light and such) inside the headquarters? I have yet to find a place to charge up.

Another question: Is there some trick I'm not seeing for the crossbow? Often I will hit with tranq darts and they wont fall. Do I need to land a head shot or do some amount of damage before hand or something?

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 09:40 PM
I've mostly been using the silenced pistol and rifle. Though I will totally use the combat knife whenever the situation allows for it.

Question: Is there a place to charge your energy (or whatever its called, the stuff used for your light and such) inside the headquarters? I have yet to find a place to charge up.

Another question: Is there some trick I'm not seeing for the crossbow? Often I will hit with tranq darts and they wont fall. Do I need to land a head shot or do some amount of damage before hand or something?

Just wait a bit for the darts.

Took me a while to find out. Also: Ditch the knife. Lethal, and yet as weak as the "nice guy" baton, which lets you one hit KO with a good shot to the back of the head if they don't see you.

Edit: Found a walkthrough (http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/84.html). It should help.

Faulty
2009-07-12, 09:43 PM
Screw the police baton.

I used the dragon sword.

Copper8642
2009-07-12, 09:50 PM
I wish to reiterate Kyouhen's earlier question, "Ok, I have to ask. Have you ever played Ogre Battle 64 and is The Last Remnant as similar to it as it sounds?" Because Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite game ever, and anything remotely similar would be awesome.

Thank you for your time.

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 09:52 PM
I wish to reiterate Kyouhen's earlier question, "Ok, I have to ask. Have you ever played Ogre Battle 64 and is The Last Remnant as similar to it as it sounds?" Because Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite game ever, and anything remotely similar would be awesome.

Thank you for your time.

Well, I'm unsure, but there is a free demo on Steam.

And if that's too much commitment, there's a review of the demo here (http://www.firstpersonshouter.com/?p=199).

Kyouhen
2009-07-12, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm unsure, but there is a free demo on Steam.

And if that's too much commitment, there's a review of the demo here (http://www.firstpersonshouter.com/?p=199).

Demo eh? :smallconfused: I might just need to take a look at this.

Rutskarn
2009-07-12, 10:39 PM
The Sniper Rifle is a coward's weapon. We will not use it. We do not need it.

Real men use the police baton.

Agreed. My favorite three playthroughs used the baton almost extensively.

Yeah, that's right. Favorite three.

Anyway, a blow to the base of the spinal column is actually most effective. A single stunprod blast to the small of the back can even down the armored Majestic 12 commandos.

Also: I dunno what day we'll do the GitP game, but I recommend the weekend. Mostly because I'm not even going to be in town on Wednesday, or probably Thursday.

wojonatior
2009-07-12, 10:41 PM
If there is a rerview of the demo, you might want to just tell them that he sometimes KABOOM!!! ... flashes people...

Just ignore me and my bad jokes.

chiasaur11
2009-07-12, 10:43 PM
Agreed. My favorite three playthrough used the baton almost extensively.

Indeed. Of course, the stunner and pepper spray are also fun.

And the crossbow. An insanely optimized pistol to soften up targets for the Baton.

wojonatior
2009-07-12, 10:56 PM
http://tf2remix.ytmnd.com/ All using the sounds from TF2 that is the best part.

Because this is the TF2 thread for A comic that uses dnd/roleplaying as its basis I have to post this.

WARNING LARGE IMAGE!!!
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6089/1200961628515zx7.png

Pie Guy
2009-07-12, 11:09 PM
Why is "Bonk!" good, but "Mrrrrrprrrr-mrrr-prrr!!!!!" evil?

Then again, DnD alignment.

wojonatior
2009-07-12, 11:16 PM
I am not sure if anybody noticed but they posted a Day eight. (http://www.teamfortress.com/sniper_vs_spy/)

13_CBS
2009-07-12, 11:23 PM
Once again, RED ingenuity brings pain and terror to BLU victims. (http://www.halolz.com/index.php?s=sword+van)

Edit: Also, Dr. Seuss is spy. (http://www.halolz.com/2009/07/11/one-eye-two-eye-red-spy-blu-spy/)

Worira
2009-07-12, 11:53 PM
Apparently, I have hacked into xkcd and posted a strip (http://xkcd.com/606/).

Faulty
2009-07-13, 12:42 AM
What're everyone's favorite domination lines?

"I'll see you in Hell... you handsome rogue." - Spy dominating Spy
"You died as you lived, morbidly obese." - Spy dom Heavy
"This is so easy I think I'm actually getting worse." - Sniper
"Nice hustle tons of fun, next time eat a salad." - Scout dom Heavy
"Repeat after me: mmm mmm mm--I'M DEAD!" - Scout dom Pyro

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 01:06 AM
There's so many good choices, but I'm kind of fond of these two:

"Here's three things I have that you don't: a functioning liver, depth perception, and a pulse."

"I will never. Stop. Killing. You."

(Can't sleep, dammit.)

MCerberus
2009-07-13, 01:08 AM
One of the mine-dog regulars has made a hat replacement of note. Warning, madness lies here (http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/68698).

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-13, 01:12 AM
"You'll never hit me! You'll never hit my tiny little head! My head, its so tiny.. its its, such a tiny, such a tiny little head!"

edit: ^ awesome.

Faulty
2009-07-13, 01:13 AM
(Can't sleep, dammit.)

You and me both, buddy.

Kyouhen
2009-07-13, 01:28 AM
Then why don't you two get on Lawful? :smalltongue:

Jagos
2009-07-13, 02:09 AM
"Don't feel bad, you did a fine job, tossing your little balls around" Spy to scout after domination.

"I merely finished what your liver started" Spy dominating Demoman

Player_Zero
2009-07-13, 02:12 AM
(Can't sleep, dammit.)

Can't stop thinking about me eh? Yeah, I know how that is. I'm just so hard to shake.

Also, can we get a verdict vis a vis serverage?

Faulty
2009-07-13, 02:13 AM
Can't stop thinking about me eh? Yeah, I know how that is. I'm just so hard to shake.

I have nightmares about you killing me. :smallfrown:

Player_Zero
2009-07-13, 02:18 AM
I have nightmares about you killing me. :smallfrown:

But at least I'm a handsome devil while doing the deed.

Faulty
2009-07-13, 02:24 AM
But at least I'm a handsome devil while doing the deed.

You are.

I'm walking through Gravelpit Dustbowl. The warm air caresses my skin, I admire the stark beauty of the desert. The sun shines down, warming my skin. I make my way through tunnels, up stairs, admiring the way the architecture blends perfectly with the surrounding rock. Then I see you. Our eyes lock at the second capture point in Dustbowl 3. I try to look away, but can't. You coyly wink, and step towards my. I'm mesmerized by your devilished handsomeness. You draw me in. We walk towards each other slowly. The anouncer shouts that one minute remains, but I know the only point that will be captured is the point of my heart. We close in on each other. You lift a hand to my face. I close my eyes, waiting for the caress as you brush my hair behind my ear and cup my check in your tender palm, drawing me into you. I open my eyes, but barely, over taken with the rapture of the moment. But to my surprise, you whipped out the Huntsman and you shoot me in the ****ing face.

Player_Zero
2009-07-13, 02:48 AM
Did I mention it's level 100? I think I did.

But yeah. Right when you fall in love comes the knife in the back. That is my beauty.

Ziren
2009-07-13, 04:32 AM
What're everyone's favorite domination lines?

"Uuuuh, your gun shoots medicine, that's real intimidating." Scout dominating Medic

Also, not really a domination line, but the Spy being hit by Jarate: "Is this...? Mon dieu!"

RMS Oceanic
2009-07-13, 08:11 AM
"I think I'll take Sasha out for a Steak Dinner tonight!"

Dread Cthulhu
2009-07-13, 08:48 AM
"So, your deadly skill is jogging? Mine is MURDERING PEOPLE". Spy dominating a Scout.

"Where's your precious Hippo-crates now?". Scout dominating a Medic.

Phase
2009-07-13, 09:01 AM
"Hey, if you didn't want me to kill ya, you shoulda said somethin'!" Scout Vs. Pyro

"I only finished what you liver started." Spy Vs. Demoman

"Here's somethin' you shoulda built: a not dyin' machine!" Scout Vs. Engineer

Nano
2009-07-13, 09:04 AM
"Good lord! You fight like a WOMAN!" - Spy, to Pyro.

"I've slept in the corpses of water buffalo tougher 'n you!" - Sniper

13_CBS
2009-07-13, 09:05 AM
"I. EAT. YOUR. SANDWICH. I eat it up!"

Movie reference win!

Starbuck_II
2009-07-13, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your time.

Well, it isn't a tactics game as in a grid map you move in.

It is a "normal" rpg in some senses but each party member in battle is a squad for purposes of hps, actions, etc.
Thus they don't die unless all go down (since squad hps stack).
You give each squad a command (like fight, Combat arts, Mystic arts/spells, recovery arts, etc) for each turn.
Morale is a special factor that applies in the game: each action can affect morale. Like being flanked hurts morale, but flanking the enemy hurts their morale.
It affects evasion, defense, attack, etc. Keeping it high helps you beat a battle. Something to think about when making choices.

On key board:
a is move left
w is move up
s is move down
d is move right.

When the game says "a" they mean enter (which made my first playthrough harder than should be). Backspace is cancel.

Unlike Ogre Battle 64 (which was a great game), you don't have spaces to move on a map in a battle just commands.

Let me use an example (I'll make up names/monsters).

Squad 1: Batman, Catwoman
Squad 2: Cyclops, Wolverine

Fighting a squad of 3 Janni (total hps 800).

Turn 1: Squad 1 chose Combat arts, Squad 2 uses Mystic arts (since Wolverine has none he just attacks this turn).
When Squad 1 move at enemy use combat arts: the monster move up to block them so they are both deadlocked (kinda like D&D, withdrawing from melee combat grants an advantage to enemy).

Enemy has faster speed so they hit first, Janni goes first deals 200 damage to your party (they have 1200), second janni uses deals 160, and third misses.
Batman uses Batorang (a Combat art) dealing 250, Catwoman uses Whip it Good (a combat art) dealing 300.
Now, Squad 2 flanks the Janni (raising morale). Wolverine attacks dealing 15o. Cyclops uses Tri Beam cannon (a mystic art) dealing 500.

The enemy is defeated.

Just an example as I don't think Batman is in the game. :smalltongue:
I may not be describing it the best.

MCerberus
2009-07-13, 10:44 AM
"Mir hur hur hur" or "*psychopathic giggling*"
-The Pyro

From the other stuff I like, "I didn't mean ta hit ya, OH WAIT yah I did," one of the sandman stun lines and , "What's that sandvich? Kill them all? OKAY!"

Jahkaivah
2009-07-13, 11:46 AM
I know the Deus Ex discussion ended two pages back but...

...school.

OLD MEN: WARNING WARNING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4&fmt=18)

I'm receiving reports of armed attacks on shipments, there's not enough vaccine to go around and the underclasses are starting to get desperate... your turn.

Kyouhen
2009-07-13, 11:57 AM
I know the Deus Ex discussion ended two pages back but...

...school.

OLD MEN: WARNING WARNING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4&fmt=18)

I'm receiving reports of armed attacks on shipments, there's not enough vaccine to go around and the underclasses are starting to get desperate... your turn.

Desperate. Desperate. Desperate. Desperate.

I lol'd. :smalltongue:

Fawkes
2009-07-13, 12:07 PM
One of the mine-dog regulars has made a hat replacement of note. Warning, madness lies here (http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/68698).

DO WANT.

"We all KNEW you were a spy!" -Spy vs. Spy

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 12:14 PM
Of course, you just have to unlock an engineer hat first.

Jibar
2009-07-13, 02:54 PM
To whoever I was just playing with on the Chaotic Servers: Good couple of games.
How was my mic shaping up after it mysteriously decided to start working?

Kyouhen
2009-07-13, 03:04 PM
Of course, you just have to unlock an engineer hat first.

Or you could pretend you have the hat and just get a new engineer model with that. Sure nobody else will see it, but does that really matter? :smalltongue:

Also for the teams thing in the game, I'll join whichever team is lacking players. I don't really care, I just want to play. :smalltongue:

And I'm playing the Last Remnant demo. It's an interesting game, somewhere between Final Fantasy with a dash of Ogre Battle combat system. I might have to buy it at some point...

EDIT:
Also, to make things easier, go to Settings from the title screen and change the Gamepad to Keyboard mode. That'll make it so all the little button cues will display the keyboard button instead of the normal ones.

NeoVid
2009-07-13, 03:14 PM

I thought they were continuations of the same game and not sequels... Like if the first half of a book was released long before the last several chapters were finished.

And if you are comparing it to Ender's Game, then you should be desperate to see amazing sequels and spinoffs.

wojonatior
2009-07-13, 03:52 PM
To whoever I was just playing with on the Chaotic Servers: Good couple of games.
How was my mic shaping up after it mysteriously decided to start working?
Yea...that was me. Your mic sounded good.

TheLogman
2009-07-13, 05:47 PM
So...it was recently my brother's birthday.

We're kinda fans of Nerf guns, and he got a Toys 'R Us gift card from some kid in his class.

While he was away, I was dreaming up ideas for TF2 cosplay after seeing some mason jars we had lying around.

When he got back, he had a Neft gun bandoleer, and a ton of Neft Darts.

This, combined with the Mini-gun type gun we got for Christmas last year, plus the Sandvich I made in ceramics this year, makes him the perfect Heavy Weapons cosplay guy.

We have a good number of guns and water guns and he also got a ton of Water Balloons for his birthday.

So what do we do?

TF2 Water Gun / Dart Gun cosplay battle between the 4 of us.

We already have a Heavy Weapons guy, and my littlest bro would make a good sentry / Dispenser.

I would play spy, but I don't actually want to get blood (or water, or dirt, whatever) on my suit.

So we might change the rules a little. Like someone can sap and be another class. And any class can move the dispenser and sentry.

There ARE only 4 of us, but if some neighborhood kids want to get together it could be awesome.

And of course, if this wonderful, wonderful dream ever happens, there will be pix and video.

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 06:06 PM
So...it was recently my brother's birthday.

We're kinda fans of Nerf guns, and he got a Toys 'R Us gift card from some kid in his class.

While he was away, I was dreaming up ideas for TF2 cosplay after seeing some mason jars we had lying around.

When he got back, he had a Neft gun bandoleer, and a ton of Neft Darts.

This, combined with the Mini-gun type gun we got for Christmas last year, plus the Sandvich I made in ceramics this year, makes him the perfect Heavy Weapons cosplay guy.

We have a good number of guns and water guns and he also got a ton of Water Balloons for his birthday.

So what do we do?

TF2 Water Gun / Dart Gun cosplay battle between the 4 of us.

We already have a Heavy Weapons guy, and my littlest bro would make a good sentry / Dispenser.

I would play spy, but I don't actually want to get blood (or water, or dirt, whatever) on my suit.

So we might change the rules a little. Like someone can sap and be another class. And any class can move the dispenser and sentry.

There ARE only 4 of us, but if some neighborhood kids want to get together it could be awesome.

And of course, if this wonderful, wonderful dream ever happens, there will be pix and video.

Scout is easy to pull off. Just need to get a Castro hat and some dog tags.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-13, 06:55 PM
Scout is easy to pull off. Just need to get a Castro hat and some dog tags.

It's also the one that doesn't makes you look like a complete wally.

Though I suppose the Sniper is also easy to do / low of the wally-factor as well.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-07-13, 06:57 PM
It's also the one that doesn't makes you look a complete wally.

I suppose the Sniper is also easy to do / low of the wally-factor as well.

I dunno, the way he holds his bat would look a bit stupid, i imagine

NeoVid
2009-07-13, 10:09 PM
I am going to be doing nothing but complaining in this post, but it's not really the game's fault.

Just beat HL2 Ep1.

It didn't give me the One Free Bullet achievement after the ton of effort I put in to get it.

For those who don't know, it's the most valuable achievement in the Orange Box, requiring you to get through Ep1 with only one bullet fired, which you have to do to shoot a lock off right after you find your first guns.

I spent the whole game using the Gravity Gun with occasional crowbar, grenade, rocket and crossbow kills when needed, and never even switched to any guns just in case.

And I got nothing for that much effort.

Grrargsnarl

Guess now I'll have to replay the game with invincibility on so I can zip through... when I'm hoping to beat the games ASAP so I can use my free time to play Blazblue.

I fear trying to get Little Rocket Man in Ep2, which I'm told is one of the most evil achievements in game history.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-13, 10:10 PM
I am going to be doing nothing but complaining in this post, but it's not really the game's fault.

Just beat HL2 Ep1.

It didn't give me the One Free Bullet achievement after the ton of effort I put in to get it.

For those who don't know, it's the most valuable achievement in the Orange Box, requiring you to get through Ep1 with only one bullet fired, which you have to do to shoot a lock off right after you find your first guns.

I spent the whole game using the Gravity Gun with occasional crowbar, grenade, rocket and crossbow kills when needed, and never even switched to any guns just in case.

And I got nothing for that much effort.

Grrargsnarl

Guess now I'll have to replay the game with invincibility on so I can zip through... when I'm hoping to beat the games ASAP so I can use my free time to play Blazblue.

I fear trying to get Little Rocket Man in Ep2, which I'm told is one of the most evil achievements in game history.
Achievements are a fatuous waste of time.

MCerberus
2009-07-13, 10:18 PM
Play episode 2 regularly after playing episode one. The sensation is amazing; a most wonderful thing happens. Alyx. shuts. up.

Phase
2009-07-13, 10:21 PM
Play episode 2 regularly after playing episode one. The sensation is amazing; a most wonderful thing happens. Alyx. shuts. up.

I like Alyx. I don't see why people don't like her. She's strong, she doesn't need babysitting, she doesn't nag too much ("Get your car in the garage!"), she has a fleshed out character, what more do you want?

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 10:33 PM

They're fun challenges.

My recommendation: do not attempt to get Little Rocket Man on your first playthrough. It's hard to enjoy certain segments when you have to babysit a gnome the whole time.

And yeah, I have it.

MCerberus
2009-07-13, 10:34 PM
In episode 1 she talks entirely too much, especially when you're fighting after escaping the citadel. In the zombie-filled garage I swear everything that happened had a commentary.

Zombie-q!
Shine the light on them gordon!
Keep the light on them!
I'm hurt!
Take that!
Nice shot!
Zombie-q!
Watch out!
Nice thinking Gordon!
I can't see without the flashlight!
repeat for the next half hour of gameplay

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Phase
2009-07-13, 10:36 PM
Obviously you've never travelled with Sticky in Fallout 3...

I <3 Alyx.

MCerberus
2009-07-13, 10:38 PM
Oddly enough I never bring anyone along in Fallout. All the companions are eternal museum display pieces hanging out near all my unique guns/armor (that I never use)... except Dogmeat... yay puppy!

chiasaur11
2009-07-13, 10:49 PM
I like Alyx. I don't see why people don't like her. She's strong, she doesn't need babysitting, she doesn't nag too much ("Get your car in the garage!"), she has a fleshed out character, what more do you want?

Just wanted to agree here.

Remember the bit in the dark, in Episode 1?

Heh.

Worira
2009-07-13, 10:50 PM
So, I dragged a sawblade through all of Ravenholme with me. Getting it up ladders and maneuvering in tight spaces was interesting.

Rutskarn
2009-07-13, 10:51 PM
So, I dragged a sawblade through all of Ravenholme with me.

Same here.

Saves on ammo.

NeoVid
2009-07-13, 11:09 PM

Games are a waste of time.

Also, when I play a game, I often set pointless challenges for myself anyway, until developers started doing it for me.

And what with my being an old-school arcader, I really, really like the fact that gaming has come full circle from the Pac-Man days and has a lot of people playing just to show off their high scores again.

Though I don't have Live, so no one can appreciate my accomplishments but me... which really defeats the purpose.

Damn.

And yes, I did get Zombie Chopper my first time through. The number of times I went back to a previous save to keep from losing my sawblade was sick. And then there was waiting for Grigori to get me across the fence, and seeing my lucky sawblade go off the roof after the second zombie came up...

All the time I was thinking, "Curse you, Gordon Frohman. Curse you."

chiasaur11
2009-07-13, 11:14 PM
Games are a waste of time.

Also, when I play a game, I often set pointless challenges for myself anyway, until developers started doing it for me.

And what with my being an old-school arcader, I really, really like the fact that gaming has come full circle from the Pac-Man days and has a lot of people playing just to show off their high scores again.

Though I don't have Live, so no one can appreciate my accomplishments but me... which really defeats the purpose.

Damn.

And yes, I did get Zombie Chopper my first time through. The number of times I went back to a previous save to keep from losing my sawblade was sick. And then there was waiting for Grigori to get me across the fence, and seeing my lucky sawblade go off the roof after the second zombie came up...

All the time I was thinking, "Curse you, Gordon Frohman. Curse you."

Actually, you can't blame him.

He's only canon for the PC universe. He doesn't exist in the console universe.

Kyouhen
2009-07-13, 11:51 PM
So, I dragged a sawblade through all of Ravenholme with me. Getting it up ladders and maneuvering in tight spaces was interesting.

Ball was more fun. Until you accidentally blow him up. Poor Ball. :smallfrown:

chiasaur11
2009-07-13, 11:54 PM
Ball was more fun. Until you accidentally blow him up. Poor Ball. :smallfrown:

I played Portal first.

That pretty much broke my heart and reformed it into a thing of iron.

Now, if HL ep 3 has you forced to pull a pistol and drop Barney, Eli (somehow), Kleiner... I won't even blink. Random debris is even less likely to gain my affection.

D0g, though...

I can't lie. I'd face the game over screen first.

Kyouhen
2009-07-13, 11:59 PM
I played Portal first.

Now, if HL ep 3 has you forced to pull a pistol and drop Barney, Eli (somehow), Kleiner... I won't even blink. Random debris is even less likely to gain my affection.

D0g, though...

Anyone else find it funny that with all the effort Valve puts into their characters we end up loving the (in)animate objects the most? :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 12:01 AM
I played Portal first.

D0g, though...

Now, see, if they asked me to gun down Alyx, Eli, or Barney, I'd actually hesitate. I really would. I might even...not proceed, at least for a little while.

That's something no other game can make me do.

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 12:06 AM
Now, see, if they asked me to gun down Alyx, Eli, or Barney, I'd actually hesitate. I really would. I might even...not proceed, at least for a little while.

That's something no other game can make me do.

In all seriousness, me too.

Heck, even typing that I'd drop Alyx was beyond me.

In fact, the engine has so accustomed me to emotional attachment, in the absence of any other subject, I gave a nickname to my SMG in the (excellent) mod Minerva Metastasis.

Seriously, Valve is the best at this. I've heard good thing about the buddies in Republic Commando, though, so when I have the cash, I'm checking that out.

wojonatior
2009-07-14, 12:14 AM
Yea, I remember my first playthrough of HL2, I thought it was the most amazing game ever. And I still do.

NeoVid
2009-07-14, 12:28 AM
Actually, you can't blame him.

He's only canon for the PC universe. He doesn't exist in the console universe.

I can't blame him.

But that doesn't stop me from cursing him!

My favorite character by a big margin turned out to be Father Grigori. (http://hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-12-02) Hope he reappears, even though there's about a .01% chance he made it.

And it's so easy to get attached to inanimate objects in Valve games that I'm starting to think they're setting us up for something. (http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr226/Sneakierlad/Skepticism.jpg)

Mushroom Ninja
2009-07-14, 12:31 AM
I finished hl2 ep.2 just a few weeks ago. One of the coolest final battles ever. God how I love Valve.

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 12:32 AM
I can't blame him.

But that doesn't stop me from cursing him!

My favorite character by a big margin turned out to be Father Grigori. (http://hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-12-02) Hope he reappears, even though there's about a .01% chance he made it.

And it's so easy to get attached to inanimate objects in Valve games that I'm starting to think they're setting us up for something. (http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr226/Sneakierlad/Skepticism.jpg)

Father Grigori not making it?

He's made it for weeks in Ravenholme, saving any survivors, and you think one zombie ambush would stop him?

Also, Valve's style leans more toward ripping your heart out and stomping on it than towards NPC betrayal. They know how to hurt you properly.

Alleine
2009-07-14, 12:34 AM
Meh, I felt nothing for the companion cube. There was the attachment of "it helped me to not die" but it didn't go beyond that.

Maybe I'm just a cold-hearted bastard? Although I wouldn't want to kill alyx, or eli. Dog dying might make me sad too. I don't really care about anyone else though.

Player_Zero
2009-07-14, 03:53 AM
Companion cube was one treacherous hexahedron. I'm glad I did away with him.

Also, half-life characters I wouldn't really care about killing. Because it would be the same either way. It would only really matter to me if it was like Deus Ex, where killing someone seems to make some difference.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-14, 04:26 AM
So I just had an interesting moment with Deus Ex.

I started play around 9. Figured i'd play for about an hour or two and get to bed early (compared to the last few nights). After what seemed like a short amount of time, I look at the clock. Its 1 in the morning.

I think my brain just kind of decided to ignore it, as its now 2:30 and I shut down the game.

what I am trying to say: this game be awesome.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-14, 04:32 AM
Talking about portal, theres a cool ASCII version being made. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/13/ascii-portal-soooon/#more-14673)

Makes you think, that could have been done decades ago, yet no one made it till now...

(Or atleast I believe it wasn't made back then, I realise that the concept of portals in game is older than people think)

Phase
2009-07-14, 05:56 AM
Father Grigori not making it?

He's made it for weeks in Ravenholme, saving any survivors, and you think one zombie ambush would stop him?

The Citadel also went boom in a huge radius. The aftershock, if it didn't kill him, would have shook everything up enough to give the zombies half a chance, which they will take.

And I would not shoot Barney or Kliener or Alyx or Cubbage (who must return) or even Magnusson. The characterization is just that good.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-07-14, 06:04 AM
I know I'm coming in late on this one, but Little Rocket Man wasn't too bad. That said, it fell off the bridge so I had to no-clip it back, and I turned on Buddha during the helicopter chase and yeah I've changed my mind it was bad. But I have it! Which makes it better than the one for squashing all the grubs.

Bouregard
2009-07-14, 06:05 AM
The Citadel also went boom in a huge radius. The aftershock, if it didn't kill him, would have shook everything up enough to give the zombies half a chance, which they will take.

And I would not shoot Barney or Kliener or Alyx or Cubbage (who must return) or even Magnusson. The characterization is just that good.

Kleiner? Oh... I would love to replace his pet with a real headcrab... hrhr.... HE MADE ME CRAWL THROUGHT THE SEWERS AND ANNOUNCED ME TO THE WHOLE ****ING COMBINES... oh how I hate him...

Faulty
2009-07-14, 08:25 AM
Alyx is amazing. Through Episodes 1 and 2 I came to actually care about her. That's one of the reasons I consider HL2 and it's offshoots to be so amazing: it's an game consisting almost entirely of action that still manages to make you care about the characters and engages you in the story.

Phase
2009-07-14, 09:28 AM
To aid this point, several characters, such as Odessa Cubbage, have their own Wikipedia pages. Colonel Odessa Cubbage, who had five sentences in one level of Half-Life 2 and was promptly forgotten save for a single line in Episode One, is a person of note enough to warrant a Wikipedia page...

Awesome.

Player_Zero
2009-07-14, 09:58 AM
Chaotic needs a restart.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-14, 10:36 AM
I never finished HL2. Mostly because I can't find my through places really well in it, and end up getting lost.
I should reboot my save just to see where, exactly, I am.

Faulty
2009-07-14, 11:15 AM
I never finished HL2. Mostly because I can't find my through places really well in it, and end up getting lost.
I should reboot my save just to see where, exactly, I am.

>_>

It's linear. <_<

Are you in Ravenholme?

Drascin
2009-07-14, 11:20 AM
Same here.

Saves on ammo.

Crowbar also does, and is perfectly efficient against anything that's not one of the fast zombies, actually - and less annoyance to carry around.

Ravenholm lost all its scare factor when I realized my trusty crowbar made me completely unbeatable to the zombies :smalltongue:.

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 11:28 AM
My two favorite Deus Ex moments:

Chaos at UNATCO: When Walton Simons is visiting, save your game, pull out a gun, and shoot him. Don't worry--he's invincible. He'll start shooting at you, and guards will start coming in. When they mob in, duck around them. Simons will accidentally shoot the guards, and the guards will begin shooting Simons. This will occupy both guards and Simons, as well as changing a few other things around the map.

You are now free to do whatever you want with no repercussions. Shoot Manderly in the face. Pepper-spray his secretary. Get a crowbar and show Alex what you think of his computers. Raid the armory. Raid the snack machine. It's up to you.

The best part? When you leave, the game will sort of pretend that never happened.

The Door: On one playthrough, I needed to get past the laser tripwires over the door. I didn't have enough multitools to waste on it, and I was playing nonlethally, so I couldn't just storm in and damn the torpedoes. So I found a way around using an air vent.

Except, the air vent emptied out into a door.

The door was locked.

I didn't have enough lockpicks to muscle through it, but this seemed to be my only way in. On the bright side, it only had about 33% durability. On the not-so-bright side, I didn't have the GEP gun or any LAMs to waste on it. Hm...

I try my crowbar. No dice.

I try the stunprod. Significantly less dice.

I shoot it with my pistol. Nothing.

Finally, with no idea what else to do, I pull out the ps28, or whatever it's called--the disposable plasma gun--and unload it into the door.

There's an earth-shattering boom, and a cloud of plasma flame. When the smoke clears, the barrels around the door are shattered...and the door is unharmed.

I'm about to reload in disgust when suddenly, I hear a voice:

"What's that sound? I thought I heard something."

The door begins to swing inward. Like greased lightning, I sprint with its arc, hiding behind the door.

I hear a voice from the now-open doorframe: "Huh. Guess it was nothing."

He shuts the door...and doesn't re-lock it.

I follow him and put him down with my baton.

Faulty
I try to avoid mixing it up in melee. I just used various objects and the gravity gun.

The first time I played through, I got to the part where it's essentially a loop with roof tops you can get up on. I kept missing the lever I had to pull. Ended up fighting nearly endless zombies. By the time I found the switch, I have no weapons at my disposal but my crowbar, G gun and three grenades. I'd even lost track of all the blades and stuff and was killing them by repeatedly waking them in the head with small plastic crates.

My two favorite Deus Ex moments:

etc.

Spoiler that stuff, Rut.

onasuma
Maybe its just me, but I wouldnt think twice about beating to death pretty much every character from the Half life games. I wouldnt do Barney in, he owes me a beer. But everyone else, that'd be fine.

Player_Zero
2009-07-14, 12:05 PM
Spoiler that stuff, Rut.

The game is almost a decade old. Is 'Aeris dies' still a spoiler?

Faulty
2009-07-14, 12:41 PM
The game is almost a decade old. Is 'Aeris dies' still a spoiler?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The only reason I said that is because earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they're playing through Deus Ex now.

I think we need a general VG thread. Maybe a PC VG thread, but I'm biased.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-14, 01:05 PM
The only reason I said that is because earlier in the thread someone mentioned that they're playing through Deus Ex now.

Nothing spoiler worthy in Rutskarns post though, unless he's already edited it out.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-07-14, 01:48 PM
Maybe its just me, but I wouldnt think twice about beating to death pretty much every character from the Half life games.

I own G-Mod, so I have done this.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-14, 01:54 PM
That stuff really isn't spoilers. Nothing important was discussed in his post.

I don't even know what door he is speaking of.

Faulty
2009-07-14, 02:19 PM
I guess it wasn't really spoiler worthy. >_>

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 03:29 PM
Nah, not really.

Anyway, that was a devastating TF2 victory. BLU team steamrolls through all of the Badwater control points with only feeble, wow-we-suck resistance. We, BLU, manage to grind it to a halt 10 feet from the end cap with ten minutes on the clock. They're already bragging about their victory.

We managed to win.

13_CBS
2009-07-14, 03:31 PM
Nah, not really.

Anyway, that was a devastating TF2 victory. BLU team steamrolls through all of the Badwater control points with only feeble, wow-we-suck resistance. We, BLU, manage to grind it to a halt 10 feet from the end cap with ten minutes on the clock. They're already bragging about their victory.

We managed to win.

Wait, so which team was steamrolling and which team almost lost? :smallconfused:

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 03:50 PM
Wait, so which team was steamrolling and which team almost lost? :smallconfused:

RED steamrolled us...then lost.

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 03:52 PM

A rare victory for Builder's League United, then?

Phase
2009-07-14, 03:56 PM
Curse this infernal occupation! I hear of entertaining exploits upon the Twenty-Sided severs, yet am still hours away from joining! Oh woe is me!

Jahkaivah
2009-07-14, 04:31 PM

Don't you mean BLU? They're the ones pushing the cart remember.

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 04:51 PM
Don't you mean BLU? They're the ones pushing the cart remember.

Yes. I do.

I realized my mistake on my way down the staircase, but forgot to come back up and correct it.

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 04:57 PM
Yes. I do.

I realized my mistake on my way down the staircase, but forgot to come back up and correct it.

Ah.

So, like always, BLU snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

Mikal
2009-07-14, 06:44 PM
i want to try the twenty sided server. how do i join it?

Faulty
2009-07-14, 06:47 PM
Is the d20 clan admiting?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-14, 06:50 PM
>_>

It's linear. <_<

Are you in Ravenholme?

No, I believe I passed Ravenholme and am actually around an Antlion beach or summat like that. Still haven't loaded the game to check. Mostly because I'm too lazy to find the disc.

Also, while I'm well aware that the game is linear, the level design is bad enough that it doesn't flow well at all, getting stuck on trying to get past arbitrary obstacles with not even the slightest hint of "what to do now".

Also - it may be slightly my fault for not playing HL1 first, but the plot fails to absorb me at all. To say nothing of the practicalyl non-existant characters everywhere else. Truth be told, I'm often surprised to see someone not shooting at me/trying to claw my face off for no apparent reason whatsoever.

My reaction upon first playing:
"I step off the train, that's good, okay...
I've read on the internet that the Combine are the "bad guys", but this seems to be pretty standardly dystopic...

Why are they shooting at me all of the sudden? Where the hell do I find that bloody crowbar?"

wojonatior
2009-07-14, 06:53 PM
Yea, that was an amazing game rutskarn.

Phase
2009-07-14, 07:01 PM
All this stuff Thanatos Said.

I, uh, I disagree with you on pretty much every point there...

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-14, 07:03 PM
I, uh, I disagree with you on pretty much every point there...

I respect your dissenting opinion.
Anyway:

L4D: Good
TF2: Really Good
Portal: Really Good
Half-Life 2: Not fun at all.

13_CBS
2009-07-14, 07:03 PM
I dunno...Half Life 2's a good game, but I've never found out why people always say it's one of the best games of all time. :smallconfused:

MCerberus
2009-07-14, 07:11 PM
Left for dead is just... well it really seems like the skeleton of a better game to come. It doesn't help that my favorite game mode only shipped with half the levels available. I look forward to the sequel but really wish I didn't buy the first game.

And half-life gets better after Sandtraps what with the constant firefights, giant explosions and less gravity gun puzzles. If you make it to episode 2 the last level is just awesome.

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 07:35 PM
i want to try the twenty sided server. how do i join it?

Well, you can find the IPs by googling "twenty sided team fortress 2 servers", I'm pretty sure...but the servers seem to be down right now.

KBF
2009-07-14, 07:47 PM
I think Thanatos said stuff here...

Yeah, no. I got stuck in the levels on more than one occasion, so I have to agree that as much effort as it looks like they put into them, they were occasionally totally unnavigatable. I wandered around the Antlion Beach and Ravenholme for an hour or two. But unless you are really not paying attention, there is no way the character could seem dull. I thought that was one of the better aspects of the beginning. And it's very clear when you should be shooting the combine. That is to say, when they tell you "Get out of the city, they are looking for you" and give you a weapon.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-14, 08:28 PM
Yeah, no. I got stuck in the levels on more than one occasion, so I have to agree that as much effort as it looks like they put into them, they were occasionally totally unnavigatable. I wandered around the Antlion Beach and Ravenholme for an hour or two. But unless you are really not paying attention, there is no way the character could seem dull. I thought that was one of the better aspects of the beginning. And it's very clear when you should be shooting the combine. That is to say, when they tell you "Get out of the city, they are looking for you" and give you a weapon.

Other than the no dialogue and seeming no motivation other than "Don't die."? Yeah, that's a compelling character right there.
And you and I must be remembering a different game, because I distinctly remember stepping off the train and wandering around in plain view, even interacting with soldiers for a while before the shooting started.
Then once I walk through a certain door:
"Oh noes! Helicopter is tryin' to shoot me to death because I'm on a roof."

Seriously.
I didn't even get a weapon until I was nigh-on-crippled health wise.

EDIT:
Yes, the time for me to start shooting was very clear. It was the same time the Combine begain shooting at me. Unfortunatly, There was a lack of killing tool at the time and there was no real preamble to me being shot at.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-14, 08:43 PM
Other than the no dialogue and seeming no motivation other than "Don't die."

Seriously.

That is part of the excitement in half-life. You are always foraging for new stuff because you need it.

Many games try to achieve this need in players, but most fail in the pacing and you end up storing hundreds of health items and ammo. Then the survival spark fails.

Half-life does this excelently as you don't often find yourself with a surplus of health and ammo for long before its all taken away again.

And don't tell me that it is a bad thing. It's what makes these kinds of games really exciting.

Faulty
2009-07-14, 09:17 PM
Yeah. One thing I like about the HL games as well is, the second you feel safe, you're not. You're half way through catching a breather when shoved into danger again. It can be exhausting, but oh so exciting.

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 09:24 PM
I agree. Much of Half-Life 2 is spent scrambling for resources, and there are few moments where you're truly marinating in health and ammo. I mean, that would be boring, right?

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 09:25 PM
Yeah. One thing I like about the HL games as well is, the second you feel safe, you're not. You're half way through catching a breather when shoved into danger again. It can be exhausting, but oh so exciting.

And when you do get a real breather, it's the most satisfying thing there is.

The bits at White Forrest...

Remember the couple at the cliffside?

Faulty
2009-07-14, 09:28 PM
I agree. Much of Half-Life 2 is spent scrambling for resources, and there are few moments where you're truly marinating in health and ammo. I mean, that would be boring, right?

I love how, one moment, you can have full ammo in all your weapons, and twenty minutes later be almost dry.

The house scene in episode two left me scrambling for resources. Or just time to reload.

Phase
2009-07-14, 09:38 PM
I agree completely with all those things said above by Faulty et al.

Yes, the time for me to start shooting was very clear. It was the same time the Combine begain shooting at me. Unfortunatly, There was a lack of killing tool at the time and there was no real preamble to me being shot at.

You mean preamble besides the Metrocops reporting on your behavior, the Metrocops chasing you while cracking down on your apartment block, and the Combine Overwatch reporting a miscount? All these subtleties are the reason Half-Life is so great.

Faulty
2009-07-14, 09:40 PM
About half the story/background is picked up entirely through little details and ambient effects. Like how the combine is poisoning the water to make people forget they were free, which you can only really find out by hearing a pair of humans talk in an apartment.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-14, 09:43 PM
About half the story/background is picked up entirely through little details and ambient effects. Like how the combine is poisoning the water to make people forget they were free, which you can only really find out by hearing a pair of humans talk in an apartment.
That sounds closer to being a superstitious urban legend.

There plenty of ways for the Combine to achieve that without putting something in the water. But it makes for good crackpot gossip when people are shown to be under a lot of pressure.

Phase
2009-07-14, 09:46 PM

I, uh, I'm actually of the opinion that that guy was insane (or Lurker is right). There is no evidence of the citizens' memory loss besides that old man...

There are, of course, other subtleties. Take for example the graffiti, or the expressions on the faces of the people. Much of the story is hidden. If you take things at face value, the game will seem flat.

wojonatior
2009-07-14, 10:06 PM
/begin rant/

So earlier I was just mentioning to phase that I couldn't play TF2 because of some error I couldn't fix. So after all of that hullabaloo. I decided to restart my computer, because it was acting funny. So after I started up, and I realized that steam hadn't started up. So I went to go start it up manually, and it said "steam.exe does not exist." Hmmm... So I went to my computer to check the drive(because this is my secondary drive,smaller, but it loads things quicker, hence why I have the steam folder there.) and apparently my drive crapped out on me:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:(yes 3 in a row, I had to make sure I got my point across) So now I am in the process of reformatting so I can put everything back on there, Including All 30 some gigs of steam games.:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: So I have to reinstall some things, though it shouldn't take too long since I really only use TF2. And now I can install Deus ex(just got it today:smallbiggrin:).

/end rant/

Jagos
2009-07-14, 10:30 PM
Just to warn, TF2 updated today. With that update came some new Hoobaloo about the water effects.

I can't get onto ~ half the servers because of this update.

Forget this. I'm gonna play something else for a while.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-14, 10:33 PM
I, uh, I'm actually of the opinion that that guy was insane (or Lurker is right). There is no evidence of the citizens' memory loss besides that old man...

There are, of course, other subtleties. Take for example the graffiti, or the expressions on the faces of the people. Much of the story is hidden. If you take things at face value, the game will seem flat.
It's a minor detail at best.

It's just that between the apartment raid and the obvious fear and mumbling about "something in the water" that the people were getting tinfoil hat crazy under all the stress. And it's not hard to be tinfoil hat crazy when headcrabs are an everyday fact of life.

The simple fact of the matter is that you can make people forget they were free by forcing them to obey you so long that it becomes habit. Acting slavishly keeps you alive from horrible fates like torture, brainwashing, execution and so forth. All it takes is the right environment.

Of course, this is all pretty pedantic. It's not so important how the Combine subjugates people; it's just important that they can.

chiasaur11
2009-07-14, 10:35 PM
It's a minor detail at best.

It's just that between the apartment raid and the obvious fear and mumbling about "something in the water." Well it sounds like tinfoil hat crazy. And people get tinfoil hat crazy under stress.

The simple fact of the matter is that you can make people forget they were free by forcing them to obey you so long that it becomes habit. Acting slavishly keeps you alive from horrible fates like torture, brainwashing, execution and so forth. All it takes is the right environment.

And for most folks, that works.

But some men, some men remember we're born free, and will fight to keep it that way.

Some men, despite the risk, will take a stand.

But I guess we all can't be Barney Calhoun, and we just have to live with that.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-14, 10:42 PM
I secretly entertain the notion that I will be able to train an apprentice Spy to myself. I will hand down my ninja secrets to a worthy successor.

Then we can go on adventures together and develop co-op Spy skills, which is admittedly rare, given the lone wolf nature of Spy players.

If anybody cares to give it a shot, I'm available for tutoring. Err . . . assuming Valve gets around to actually doing the fix that they said they already did for the Cloak and Dagger.

wojonatior
2009-07-14, 10:44 PM
Update: I am pretty sure the drive actually died. but i am still checking.

And if anybody wanted to be complete trolls one day on TF2 here (http://www.badjoystick.com/Videos/News-115855.aspx) is how to do it.

Lurker pick me!!! Please?

Phase
2009-07-14, 10:53 PM
But some men, some men remember we're born free, and will fight to keep it that way.

Born Free Man, yes.

Of course, this is all pretty pedantic. It's not so important how the Combine subjugates people; it's just important that they can.

And that they sometimes do so by gutting you, chopping off your limbs, and forcing you into manual labor.

Faulty
2009-07-14, 10:55 PM
I enjoy getting pedantic about HL. The way Valve incorporated so much story into so little action and dialogue in all the HL games is astounding.

Is the d20 clan admiting?

Sooooooooo...

Fawkes
2009-07-14, 11:31 PM
I'm always up for some co-op spywork, Linker.

Phase
2009-07-14, 11:33 PM
Sooooooooo...

You can join the steam group if you want, but it's not a clan...

Worira
2009-07-14, 11:59 PM
Seriously.

Uh... You don't even have a health bar until immediately before you get your crowbar. As far as I can recall, you face no enemies at all between the two.

EDIT:

I would have to say that it isn't time to shoot at people if you don't have a gun. And even if you did, good luck taking down a helicopter with a 9mm.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-15, 12:45 AM
Lurker pick me!!! Please?
My requirements are simple. Do you play often enough for me to notice? If you're on my friendlist and you're usually not playing, then my offer is not much good to you or me.

Second, despite my joking self-aggrandizement, I am not the Greatest Spy Ever. I can get you jump-started to a intermediate skill quicker than usual. Beyond that, I make no promises.

If you already are a decent Spy, then that saves me the trouble of having to do anything and we can skip to co-op.

KBF
2009-07-15, 12:58 AM
I would like to apply for a Spy scholarship. Yes I am a decent spy, no I'm probably not on your friends list. Oh, and yes, I'm probably using the term decent spy loosely, but I'm not godawful. I watched a video on youtube, applied common sense, and then people started dieing.

MCerberus
2009-07-15, 01:05 AM
Now what sort of spy are you planning on being?

There's your traditional stabby backy people... and then there's the often ignored battle spy. With the new updates you, the cunning battle spy can remain unseen and, with a steady hand, take down any foolish clowns who think themselves safe!

C&D and Ambassador spies are fun to play. :smallbiggrin:

KBF
2009-07-15, 01:16 AM
There's your traditional stabby backy people... and then there's the often ignored battle spy. With the new updates you, the cunning battle spy can remain unseen and, with a steady hand, take down any foolish clowns who think themselves safe!

What about anti-engies? The difference from a stabby spy is that they don't attract the ire of the rest of the team. They C&D near, but not too close to, the local engie's favorite spots. They lie in waiting, for the perfect moment to execute their master stroke. Whether it's the engie leaving the corner with no one else around, or the rest of the team catching up and distracting all those nearby.

And, you know, you should be able to switch to any of these on a whim. Situations change.

The Linker
2009-07-15, 01:59 AM
I'm always up for some co-op spywork, Linker.

What? Um. Awesome!

Apparently this spy-recruiting business is easier than I thought. I didn't even have to do anything.

Jibar
2009-07-15, 02:26 AM
EDIT:
Yes, the time for me to start shooting was very clear. It was the same time the Combine began shooting at me. Unfortunately, There was a lack of killing tool at the time and there was no real preamble to me being shot at.

You mean preamble besides the Metrocops reporting on your behavior, the Metrocops chasing you while cracking down on your apartment block, and the Combine Overwatch reporting a miscount? All these subtleties are the reason Half-Life is so great.

Subtleties, smutleties, there's a point where you watch the Combine explicitly breaking into rooms and killing people and then when you move into another room, the Combine come in there too and start shooting you and everyone else.

Although, as a confession... I haven't finished Half Life 2. When I bought the Orange Box it was sort of lower on my priorities than Portal and Team Fortress 2.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-15, 02:27 AM
I don't understand these Spy subcategories that are being thrown around . . . I play a Spy. This generally means that my tasks vary between trying to stab people for the hell of it, sapping the teleporter just to be cheap or shutting-down an Engie or destroying a nest. Sometimes I backpedal away from a Pyro and try my best to fill him full of holes.

These tasks tend to vary depending on viability and sometimes sheer whim. Part of being able to play for fun is just trying to get stabs in order to polish my game. Or just because stabs are satisfying. Take your pick.

If you must know, I heavily use the C&D. I've used it so much now that, in my mind, it's no longer an unknown quantity. Even when it is inferior to IW, it's not unliveable. I can adjust to somebody who wants to be "faster paced" with IW easily enough.

I don't really understand the Dead Ringer outside of a few situational uses. Either I don't have the patience to do stealth unaided by cloak, the interest to learn the watch or I just don't get the run-and-gun style of Spying. I'm also still making up my mind as to whether it's still half-gimmick.

I'll get around to PM'ing my screename to you guys and just spend time in a game with you guys if it can be arranged. I'm not picky about who I work with, so long as you guys actually game with me consistently and bother to communicate so that any meaningful meeting of the minds can get done.

Jorgo Mono
2009-07-15, 02:41 AM
... and the Combine Overwatch reporting a miscount?...

I remember the first time I played half-life 2, and I heard that. It was an OHSHI- moment for me.

My favorite part of the entire Half-Life 2 series so far is Episode 2 when you're attempting to defend Alyx and the Vortigaunt healers from Antlions in that tunnel.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-15, 05:38 AM

I thought I was just bad. Didn't know this was everyone else's experiance, and not, if you'll take note, the point origin for my dislike.

Again, much of the missing the point and plot probably comes from me not playing, reading a plot synopsis for, or seeing a Let's Play of Half Life 1.
While I applaud Valve trying to tell their story without cutscenes, having it be told via pereipherary NPCs I may or may not notice or graffiti on walls I'm too busy shooting Combine soldiers to look for may not exactly be the best way about it.

It's a big failing in my opinion when the game feels pointless. I relise all videogames are is a pointless fun-filled distraction.
But I don't feel like I'm doing anything other than walking from point A to B.
I believe so far this is the synopsis:

Gorodon steps of the Train after seeing some pale dude in a suit.
Gordon's Buddy, disguised as a bad guy tells him to talk to scientist-dude.
Shooting Starts.
Gordon talks to scientist-dude, gets Gravity gun, plays with robot.
Combine attack lab
Gordon and Alyx Run.
Some sort of alien parasite turning people into zombies in a town thing with some priest becomeing a Shotgun-toting badass.
Gordon gets out of Ravenholme. Something about a dunebuggy on a beach and trying to get to point D or whatever. May or may not have randevous'd with Alyx, I honestly don't remember.

Rutskarn
2009-07-15, 07:39 AM
I did manage to pull a Zero yesterday--there was an engineer nest where I couldn't possibly get behind him as spy, so I hopped onto his dispenser, climbed down on to his head, and did a stab-and-sap from there.

"What--SCREW YOU, RUTSKARN. How did you get behind me?!"

"I didn't. I was standing on your head.

Drascin
2009-07-15, 08:04 AM
That is part of the excitement in half-life. You are always foraging for new stuff because you need it.

Many games try to achieve this need in players, but most fail in the pacing and you end up storing hundreds of health items and ammo. Then the survival spark fails.

Half-life does this excelently as you don't often find yourself with a surplus of health and ammo for long before its all taken away again.

And don't tell me that it is a bad thing. It's what makes these kinds of games really exciting.

That's only in HL2 and its episodes, though. In HL1, I had far more ammo of almost everything than I could ever need. Specially the SMG.

But yeah, in 2 the ammo is pretty damn well rationed. Of course, I'm a thieving magpie who accumulates stuff and loves to melee people to death, so even then I managed, but still, the lack was noticeable.

Player_Zero
2009-07-15, 08:20 AM
I did manage to pull a Zero yesterday

There is no room for two in a world of ones and Zeros.

Fawkes
2009-07-15, 09:51 AM
What? Um. Awesome!

Apparently this spy-recruiting business is easier than I thought. I didn't even have to do anything.

Sorry, I meant Lurker. Give me a break, I'm posting from a mobile phone.

Anyway, I'd say I'm a decent spy. I could probably benefit from some teaching, but I'm not exactly worthless as a spy right now.

Kyouhen
2009-07-15, 10:29 AM
I did manage to pull a Zero yesterday--there was an engineer nest where I couldn't possibly get behind him as spy, so I hopped onto his dispenser, climbed down on to his head, and did a stab-and-sap from there.

"What--SCREW YOU, RUTSKARN. How did you get behind me?!"

"I didn't. I was standing on your head.

I heard that, sounded hilarious. You should record these things. :smalltongue:

Ammo was plentiful in HL1 but it was never what I needed. Those marines were a pain to take down. Of course the funnest part was when I was low on health fighting the second set of assassins. Managed to find a nice little hideout where they'd step into view and stop at the exact same spot every time to shoot me before running away again. Shame only one did that. I wasn't about to go back out there to deal with them and I could hear the pitter patter of little ninja feet out in the main area so I did the only logical thing. I threw Snarks at them. :smallbiggrin:

Archangel Yuki
2009-07-15, 10:58 AM
I found myself quickly annoyed with spy. After ~100 hours, i quit. Because for me, its too easy. I started tf2 as a spy. I did nothing but Spy. Before I was a spy, I was a Rogue on WoW. It just seems to be what i do.

I love the DR though. Its what got me playing again. Skirmish taticts, taking out the unaware and then running like hell. Good times. :smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2009-07-15, 11:09 AM
I found myself quickly annoyed with spy. After ~100 hours, i quit. Because for me, its too easy. I started tf2 as a spy. I did nothing but Spy. Before I was a spy, I was a Rogue on WoW. It just seems to be what i do.

Objection. 100 hours is not quickly.

The Linker
2009-07-15, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I meant Lurker. Give me a break, I'm posting from a mobile phone.

What!? It's too late! You're mine now.

C'mon, let's go sneak into Valve headquarters and snatch up some Episode 3 concept art and preliminary screens.

Jahkaivah
2009-07-15, 12:31 PM
My favorite part of the entire Half-Life 2 series so far is Episode 2 when you're attempting to defend Alyx and the Vortigaunt healers from Antlions in that tunnel.

"THE WHOLE PLACE IS LIT UP!!!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swM2fWu9cnA&fmt=18)

Dogmantra
2009-07-15, 12:54 PM
So I found out how to use sprays, but I can't seem to import one. If I do, it either says that the file's corrupted, or it just doesn't show up. This is in TF2, by the way.

Any help?

NeoVid
2009-07-15, 01:14 PM
Also, while I'm well aware that the game is linear, the level design is bad enough that it doesn't flow well at all, getting stuck on trying to get past arbitrary obstacles with not even the slightest hint of "what to do now".

Trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go was the most unfun thing about HL2. Once I learned to stay on the dark sand on the antlion beach, it was less annoying.

At least someone else didn't like HL2 that much, so I don't feel like I'm crazy.

I will say it's definitely worth beating the game, and playing the episodes, even if you're not that into it. HL2 is often frustrating as #%@#, but it gets amazingly interesting later on (particularly once you get close to the Citadel) and the Episodes are much shorter and better paced, plus there's the fact that you'll have a better idea of how levels get laid out and the logic of how puzzles work in this game... though I did run into one puzzle that I was only able to pass by cheating and going back to an earlier save, then setting stuff up before I triggered the puzzle.

Damn puzzles.

Also, I really like how the Vort you work with in Ep2 always keeps pointing out the game's tropes as you run into them.

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 01:16 PM
Trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go was the most unfun thing about HL2. Once I learned to stay on the dark sand on the antlion beach, it was less annoying.

At least someone else didn't like HL2 that much, so I don't feel like I'm crazy.

I will say it's definitely worth beating the game, and playing the episodes, even if you're not that into it. HL2 is often frustrating as #%@#, but it gets amazingly interesting later on (particularly once you get close to the Citadel) and the Episodes are much shorter and better paced, plus there's the fact that you'll have a better idea of how levels get laid out and the logic of how puzzles work in this game... though I did run into one puzzle that I was only able to pass by cheating and going back to an earlier save, then setting stuff up before I triggered the puzzle.

What puzzle was that, pray tell?

Kyouhen
2009-07-15, 01:17 PM
What puzzle was that, pray tell?

Spoiler it please! Some of us still haven't gotten around to getting our hands on EP2. (Something I intend to correct soonish)

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 01:19 PM
Right.

Tell us, but spoiler it.

Ziren
2009-07-15, 01:27 PM
I just noticed this: If you backstab an enemy while in sniper disguise, you'll sometimes say the sniper kukri-kill catchphrase ("*incomprehensible* chop-chop"). Even in the sniper's voice, so that's probably a glitch. Haven't experienced it with any other disguise yet.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-15, 01:33 PM
I just noticed this: If you backstab an enemy while in sniper disguise, you'll sometimes say the sniper kukri-kill catchphrase ("*incomprehensible* chop-chop"). Even in the sniper's voice, so that's probably a glitch. Haven't experienced it with any other disguise yet.
It happens with every disguise. Scout disguises will make you go "Bonk!" after landing a stab.

Pyros incomprehensibly mumble or laugh.

Player_Zero
2009-07-15, 01:33 PM

No, no, the spy always taunts in this fashion. He says a line in the voice of the person he was disguised as.

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 01:36 PM
Which leads to issues when disguised as Scouts after sapping.

"I broke your stupid crap, moron!"

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-15, 01:37 PM
If Zero is the Gentleman of Repute on the d20 servers, I really must get to know him better. If only to compare e-penis.

That sounded wrong.

Player_Zero
2009-07-15, 01:49 PM
Know this, you will never be the man that I am. My drill is the drill that will become the Pirate King.

I wouldn't expect much though, if you play against me. My wit and charm are my greatest weapon.

Also, half the time I'm pissing about.

NeoVid
2009-07-15, 01:52 PM
I think it was in Ep1.

An electrified water puzzle. There was a catwalk I needed to take a running jump from, but it bends down into the water when you get near the end. It was obvious that I needed to place a floating barrel under it to keep it from sinking, but I couldn't place the barrel underneath the sunken part of the walkway without getting fried. So once I knew what to do, I reloaded, set the barrel there, then turned the electricity on afterward.

Anyway, on to play TF2... soon.

MCerberus
2009-07-15, 01:57 PM
I think it was in Ep1.

An electrified water puzzle. There was a catwalk I needed to take a running jump from, but it bends down into the water when you get near the end. It was obvious that I needed to place a floating barrel under it to keep it from sinking, but I couldn't place the barrel underneath the sunken part of the walkway without getting fried. So once I knew what to do, I reloaded, set the barrel there, then turned the electricity on afterward.

Anyway, on to play TF2... soon.

If I remember correctly, you could have turned off the electricity because it was one of those on/off lever switches

Player_Zero
2009-07-15, 02:23 PM
Disregard my previous post. Seven dominations. I am God.

Faulty
2009-07-15, 02:33 PM
I have an idea to bring Valve into your D&D 3.5 game! Plans:

Prestige classes for the TF2 classes.
Stats for Special Infected
Survivor prestige class

wojonatior
2009-07-15, 04:16 PM
Please do faulty.

Faulty
2009-07-15, 04:48 PM
Also thinking of a Splicer base class based on Bioshock. The Hunter's half-way done.

Lord Herman
2009-07-15, 06:56 PM
A lesson I learned today: zombies pretty damn scary when it's 1 AM, there's about a hundred of them coming your way, the only thing lighting the area is the flashlight attached to your assault rifle, and you're a lousy shot with no sense of direction.

But I just had to try L4D when it finally finished downloading around midnight. It scared me lots, but that's what it's supposed to do. Also, it's the first shooter I played since I bought my 5.1 surround headset, which really added to the game.

I'm also considering getting the orange box, by the way. Yes, it's true, I still haven't played HL2, TF2, and Portal. Shame on me. But first I'll play L4D some more.

Phase
2009-07-15, 07:03 PM
I'm also considering getting the orange box, by the way. Yes, it's true, I still haven't played HL2, TF2, and Portal. Shame on me. But first I'll play L4D some more.

Yes, do this.

By the way, what's your steam name?

Dogmantra
2009-07-15, 07:12 PM
I'm also considering getting the orange box

You terrible, terrible person...

You haven't already got it and/or Portal by itself? Do you have a soul?

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 07:13 PM
You terrible, terrible person...

You haven't already got it and/or Portal by itself? Do you have a soul?

I'd call him a lucky son of a gun.

He still has the pleasure of playing Portal for the first time to look forward to.

TheLogman
2009-07-15, 07:20 PM
And then the horrid pain-filled agony of Portal:Prelude to look forward to.

Or not.

That game is balls-crushingly hard.

What ever happened to that Scrimmage thing? If anything comes up, just hit me with a message or something, I'll probably be in-game in Hl2 Episode 2 (Rocket Man achievement time?) or Playing L4D or TF2.

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 07:27 PM
And then the horrid pain-filled agony of Portal:Prelude to look forward to.

Or not.

That game is balls-crushingly hard.

And also not very fun. And the plot's not good.

On the other hand, there's also the flash Portal map pack. That's decent enough.

Dogmantra
2009-07-15, 08:11 PM
I'd call him a lucky son of a gun.

He still has the pleasure of playing Portal for the first time to look forward to.
I suppose so. At least he's not one of those people who have played it but not finished it, or borrowed it and actually given it back. They really don't have souls.
:smalltongue:

wojonatior
2009-07-15, 10:14 PM
WHEN IS THE GAME?!?! We need to post this so people can know or have a general idea.

13_CBS
2009-07-15, 10:34 PM
I think we're still stuck on where to host it.

I still say that we borrow Chaotic with Shamus' blessing. I understand that it will feel awkward and out of line to ask for such a thing, but apparently Chaotic is hardly ever used--if anything, we're preventing the waste of the money used for the server's upkeep if we host a few Giantitp games on it while no one's there.

AlterForm
2009-07-15, 11:32 PM
And also not very fun. And the plot's not good.

On the other hand, there's also the flash Portal map pack. That's decent enough.

Agreed. And the Dev(s) were...well, take your pick of offensive English nouns. When people complained about "poor design choices" they countered with "Prelude is for experts nubs sheesh." Yeah, great paradigm there pal.

Flash Portal Pack, on the other hand, was very very nice.

In a similar vein, has anyone else played Narbacular Drop? It's the predecessor (spiritually and mechanically) to Portal. And it was apparently the first game (most of) Valve worked on.

Kyouhen
2009-07-15, 11:33 PM
Agreed. And the Dev(s) were...well, take your pick of offensive English nouns. When people complained about "poor design choices" they countered with "Prelude is for experts nubs sheesh." Yeah, great paradigm there pal.

Flash Portal Pack, on the other hand, was very very nice.

In a similar vein, has anyone else played Narbacular Drop? It's the predecessor (spiritually and mechanically) to Portal. And it was apparently the first game (most of) Valve worked on.

I don't think it was most of Valve that worked on it, just the Portal guys. Either way I played it and it was pretty amusing. Shame it was so short. I only found out about it while eagerly awaiting Portal's release.

chiasaur11
2009-07-15, 11:35 PM
I suppose so. At least he's not one of those people who have played it but not finished it, or borrowed it and actually given it back. They really don't have souls.
:smalltongue:

Hey, the ones who give it back could also be merely insanely moral and possessing of willpower far beyond most of us.

revolver kobold
2009-07-16, 12:22 AM
I don't think it was most of Valve that worked on it, just the Portal guys. Either way I played it and it was pretty amusing. Shame it was so short. I only found out about it while eagerly awaiting Portal's release.

Yeah, it was just the Portal guys. They developed Narbacular Drop themselves, Valve liked what they saw, and like they always do, hired everyone on the development team (Like they did with the Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Left4Dead guys too).

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 12:24 AM
I wish I could develop something that would attract Valve's attention. :smallfrown:

revolver kobold
2009-07-16, 12:27 AM
You don't even need to develop anything to get their attention. Just be on the internet, funny, and praise them, like Yahtzee did. They flew him from Brisbane to their office for a few days.

Lucky git.

chiasaur11
2009-07-16, 12:34 AM
You don't even need to develop anything to get their attention. Just be on the internet, funny, and praise them, like Yahtzee did. They flew him from Brisbane to their office for a few days.

Lucky git.

Heck, skip the praise them step.

Jay Pinkerton got a job that way.

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 12:35 AM

Lucky git.

Yeah, but he didn't get a job there now did he? :smalltongue:

revolver kobold
2009-07-16, 12:36 AM
No, but he did go to a pistol range with Gabe Newell to fire off some Glock rounds. Which is almost as good.

chiasaur11
2009-07-16, 12:38 AM
No, but he did go to a pistol range with Gabe Newell to fire off some Glock rounds. Which is almost as good.

If you actually work for Valve, you get to use their gravity gun prototype to hunt and kill convicts every day.

Mainly those who try to subvert VAC.

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 12:38 AM

I'd rather work with/near/in the same city as Gabe Newell thank-you-very-much. :smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-07-16, 01:15 AM
Disregard my previous post. Seven dominations. I am God.
*pssh* That's nothing. I got 11th place ranking on the Chaotic d20 server, on my first day. With an average K/D ratio of 2.4.

As you can see, I am God and you are an imposter.

Player_Zero
2009-07-16, 02:23 AM
I've been rank one before.

Besides that, I'm fairly sure rank only counts how long you've been playing on that server really, since it is the number of points you've amassed. Being rank anything isn't particularly impressive.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-16, 02:34 AM
I propose a dual. 10 paces, turn, and fire.

Ambassador only. No Dead Ringer.

Go.

e: Also the Dragons Sword in Deus Ex is totally overpowered. I threw it in a pit.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-07-16, 03:33 AM
Missed out on Deep Undercover by tripping on the final hurdle. Missed out on First Do Not Harm because the internet died about a minute before the match ended.

On a side note, I found the most ineffectual Engineer in the entire world. He set him his stupid crap and then ran around his entire base (2Fort) meleeing the air. It was very easy to avoid and his stuff was easy enough to sap.

Ziren
2009-07-16, 03:56 AM
Missed out on Deep Undercover by tripping on the final hurdle. Missed out on First Do Not Harm because the internet died about a minute before the match ended.

On a side note, I found the most ineffectual Engineer in the entire world. He set him his stupid crap and then ran around his entire base (2Fort) meleeing the air. It was very easy to avoid and his stuff was easy enough to sap.

Don't forget that you don't need to kill with a backstab to get Deep Undercover. Makes it a lot easier.
First Do No Harm is easiest to get on an arena server with few players.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-07-16, 05:06 AM
Don't forget that you don't need to kill with a backstab to get Deep Undercover. Makes it a lot easier.

Glad to hear it, considering the first time he was packing Razorback so I just headshotted him.

Funniest match ever. It started with the other team having about 6 Heavies who were just running around punching. I gleefully went Spy and killed them all. Next round they pretty much all went Engie, which culminated in them setting up a massive base in our own intel room.

Faulty
2009-07-16, 08:20 AM
The earlier discussion of HL2 made me think of this:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/1/1f/The_freeman.jpg

Fawkes
2009-07-16, 08:58 AM
I wish I could develop something that would attract Valve's attention. :smallfrown:

I've actually got a funny story about that. Remind me to tell it to you guys when I'm on my computer this afternoon.

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 09:44 AM
I've actually got a funny story about that. Remind me to tell it to you guys when I'm on my computer this afternoon.

It's kind of afternoon and you're apparently on the computer. Out with it. :smallannoyed:

EDIT:
DAMMIT! His online light went out!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-16, 09:54 AM
It's kind of afternoon and you're apparently on the computer. Out with it. :smallannoyed:

EDIT:
What are you talking about? your timestamp says you posted that at 2344.
Welcome to the internet. Time is not the same everywhere.

AlterForm
2009-07-16, 10:05 AM
Yeah, it was just the Portal guys. They developed Narbacular Drop themselves, Valve liked what they saw, and like they always do, hired everyone on the development team (Like they did with the Team Fortress, Counter-Strike and Left4Dead guys too).

Eh, it was something like that, and I didn't want to go wiki it. :smalltongue:

Phase
2009-07-16, 10:22 AM
Hey guys:

Black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6Tky7nK3A) Mesa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4coXWpKAI) will (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ttkFMFaey4) be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e71mXd5B1Gw) great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-kyqwyzLms)

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 11:12 AM
What are you talking about? your timestamp says you posted that at 2344.
Welcome to the internet. Time is not the same everywhere.

His online light was on when I was posting that. It went off when I finished. And it's not my fault he isn't in the best time zone on the planet. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-16, 11:37 AM
The best time zone on the planet is GMT +9 (Japan Standard Time). Live with it. :smalltongue:

Kyouhen
2009-07-16, 12:04 PM
The best time zone on the planet is GMT +9 (Japan Standard Time). Live with it. :smalltongue:

Well yeah but that goes without saying. I meant after that one. :smalltongue:

Keris
2009-07-16, 12:15 PM

There is no such time zone as GMT +9. Japan is in UTC +9. GMT was replaced as the reference time over 37 years ago.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-16, 12:52 PM
There is no such time zone as GMT +9. Japan is in UTC +9. GMT was replaced as the reference time over 37 years ago.

I have three different ways of referring to Zulu time, four different ways of referring to my local timezone, and two different ways of citing an individual time running around in my head at the same time.
You can't really fault me for not knowing GMT has technically been phased out (Although, since I'm 21, I wonder why they're still teaching it).

But, yeah, Timezone India is the best.
UTC +10 (I believe that's Juliet, but I may be wrong) is the second best.

I don't know what your malfunction is. :smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-07-16, 01:56 PM
EST is the best time, you hooligans.

Keris
2009-07-16, 02:02 PM
You can't really fault me for not knowing GMT has technically been phased out (Although, since I'm 21, I wonder why they're still teaching it).
The fact that I only discovered that it was replaced through independent research is the reason what really irritates me. I mean, it's been gone for almost four decades! Did they forget to tell anyone?

But, yeah, Timezone India is the best.
UTC +10 (I believe that's Juliet, but I may be wrong) is the second best.
UTC +10 is Kilo. There is no Juliet, it's the missing letter. I can't help but think that India would be a better choice for omission, as India Standard Time is the same as Echo* (UTC+5:30).

Which EST? There are three time zones and a daylight-saving time with that acronym.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-16, 02:02 PM

Incorrect, while certainly a pretty good timezone (My Family lives there, lots of times growing up were based off EST), JST is superior due to the following facts:
I live here.
Girlfriend lives here.
It's bloody Japan.

Phase
2009-07-16, 02:32 PM
Guys, I think we lost track of the fact that Black Mesa will be bloody brilliant. Time zones aside, I'm thinking Sunday.

wojonatior
2009-07-16, 02:43 PM
Sounds good for me, I think.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-16, 02:44 PM
Guys, I think we lost track of the fact that Black Mesa will be bloody brilliant. Time zones aside, I'm thinking Sunday.

What? For its release?

Jibar
2009-07-16, 02:48 PM
I live here.

Can you teach me the Japanese for "Put the games and consoles in the bag" and "Do it or I shoot?"

Phase
2009-07-16, 03:01 PM
What? For its release?

No, for the Giantitp TF2 game. Black Mesa is in December.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-07-16, 03:05 PM
No, for the Giantitp TF2 game. Black Mesa is in December.

And here you got me all excited.

13_CBS
2009-07-16, 03:12 PM

Can you teach me the Japanese for "Put the games and consoles in the bag" and "Do it or I shoot?"

I'm studying Japanese at college at the moment. Let me get back to you on the latter, but the former phrase should be...

"Geimu to konsoru wo baggu ni aite kudasai" (though it's a rather polite way to say it :smallconfused:) Edit: scratch that, it's way too polite. Still haven't learned anything about the Imperative form yet. :smallannoyed:

NeoVid
2009-07-16, 03:12 PM
Which Sunday? Mine are only going to be free for about 2 more weeks, it turns out.

Jibar
2009-07-16, 03:14 PM
I'm studying Japanese at college at the moment. Let me get back to you on the latter, but the former phrase should be...

"Geimu to konsoru wo baggu ni aite kudasai" (though it's a rather polite way to say it :smallconfused:)

You are very helpful.
*is googling plane prices*

13_CBS
2009-07-16, 03:16 PM
You are very helpful.
*is googling plane prices*

Eh, unless you plan on being Affably Evil right before you pull the trigger, the above phrase just won't cut it. It'd be like saying, "Please place all games and consoles in to the bag in front of you. Have a nice day!", which is, well...kinda lame.

Worira
2009-07-16, 03:39 PM
No, that's awesome.

13_CBS
2009-07-16, 03:49 PM
Whoops! I made a flub. It's supposed to be, "Geimu to konsoru wo baggu ni oite kudasai", not "aite kudasai".

TheLogman
2009-07-16, 03:55 PM
This Sunday is my Birthday. I'm gonna be busy most the morning, but I might be available from like 2-6-ish?

Fawkes
2009-07-16, 04:54 PM

EDIT:

I was on my phone, it was morning, and I was boarding a plane from Chicago. :smalltongue:

Anyway, on to the story.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen this picture:
http://ligermagic.com/tf2announcer.jpg

This piece of TF2 fanart made its way around the internet, eventually reaching the eyes of Valve's Gabe Newell, who loved it so much that he bought the design from the artist and intends to make a "Meet the Announcer" video with the design.

I know this because the artist who drew the announcer fanart happens to be the sister of someone who's been my friend for over ten years.

Heather drew the announcer for fun one day last year. Now she's gonna be working for Valve. They flew her up to the office earlier this year to check the place out.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Rutskarn
2009-07-16, 05:02 PM
Back, muthas.

Faulty
2009-07-16, 05:10 PM
I was on my phone, it was morning, and I was boarding a plane from Chicago. :smalltongue:

Anyway, on to the story.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen this picture:
http://ligermagic.com/tf2announcer.jpg

This piece of TF2 fanart made its way around the internet, eventually reaching the eyes of Valve's Gabe Newell, who loved it so much that he bought the design from the artist and intends to make a "Meet the Announcer" video with the design.

I know this because the artist who drew the announcer fanart happens to be the sister of someone who's been my friend for over ten years.

Heather drew the announcer for fun one day last year. Now she's gonna be working for Valve. They flew her up to the office earlier this year to check the place out.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Talk about luck. I also am looking forward to Meet the Announcer. I bet it's gonna go Announcer -> Medic -> Pyro, one with each of the remaining class updates.

wojonatior
2009-07-16, 05:15 PM
Actually on this Sunday I am available from about 4:30-5:00ish to about the buttcrack of dawn if need be, GMT -5 of course.