PDA

View Full Version : Returning to an old favorite... RIFTS!

Freejack451
2009-07-12, 09:15 PM
Hey there Playgrounders!

One of my first real rpg experiences as a GM was Rifts back in High School in the grand old year of 1994. I'm an old timer. Unfortunately, it has been years since I have run any games and I have lost my touch so to speak. I have looked around on the old internet and it looks like the old edition is still the current addition to my amazement ( Dang you D&D). I was wondering if there's anything I may have missed as far as changes go in the rules.
Also, any general advice would be appreciated as far as running or playing in a Rifts game. Thx again ahead of time for those who contribute to my renewed obsession in yet another game.

Freejack

Knaight
2009-07-12, 09:27 PM
The game hasn't changed, the rules are the same as ever. I recommend swiping the rules from somewhere else, as the system behind Rifts is pretty terrible. There are a lot of good generic systems out there, and the setting can be ported in, and as the setting has a lot of promise, you need that capability.

shadzar
2009-07-12, 10:29 PM
Well if there are new rules you don't have they have been made into PDF for download on RPGNow or something I think. You probably have them all already, but I don't recall ever seeing anything really new that was needed. :smallconfused:

Palladium put out many PDFs recently of their games, so check it out to see what you might not have.

FoE
2009-07-12, 10:35 PM
You poor man. Are you feeling a fever or something?

Riffington
2009-07-12, 11:08 PM
If you ever port it to Gurps, please send me a copy...
I'd even help a little bit.

LibraryOgre
2009-07-12, 11:56 PM
Despite what other folks say, Rifts is still a good system. For a lot of young gamers, however, it's tendency towards house rules is a detriment, not a benefit.

A few years ago, a slightly updated version of Rifts was published, called Rifts: Ultimate Edition, but the rules are substantially unchanged; it mostly made updates to a couple of main-book OCCs that didn't get much attention in books subsequent to the main book, and a couple minor rules tweaks... nothing that invalidates previous stuff, so you can grab the newest books without fear that they'll be incompatible with what you were playing in '94.

As for tips on playing, I played in a great game under Jason Marker, who's doing a lot of the new Robotech stuff. His method of initiative was different than standard, but a lot of fun. Basically, rather than round-robin initiative, with high-attack characters getting the end of the round to wail on everyone, he had everyone roll initiative like normal. You then divided your initiative total by your number of attacks, and went in multiples of that. So, if you have 6 attacks, and roll a 18 for initiative, you'll first go on 18, then on 15 (18/6=3, so 3 counts), then 12, 9, 6, 3. When you get down to 0 in the initiative, everyone has done all their actions, fast people have an advantage, and you can start a new round.

I've also got a few rules on dealing with skills (http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/26640.html), if you want more detail than Palladium's usual pass/fail system. These have been playtested, and work really well with our group. I've also got some rules to completely change how combat skills work (http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/28826.html), but these have not been playtested.

Oh, a link to their PDF store on Drive Thru RPG:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2627&filters=0_0_0_0

Gaiyamato
2009-07-12, 11:59 PM
I second Mark Hall there on al of that. lol.

And RIFTS has a great rules mechanics. I found it far more enjoyable, detailed and realistic than D&D etc.

Freejack451
2009-07-13, 11:41 PM
Hey everyone sorry for the late replay.

Myself and the better half had to run a lot of errands today, needless to say we got a bunch of stuff done. I got new pants so as a old friend of my back home would say
"Hooray, it's New Pants day!"

Anyway here I go........

@Knaight- I work at a local NBC affiliate in East TN, meaning I work weird hours and get called in a lot. I don't have the time I would like to go through that as much as I would want to.

@Shadzar- As soon as I have the extra cash I'll get that. TV in East TN pays crap compared to the national average.

@Face of Evil- I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.... Dangling off of a grenade launcher mounted on a vibro chainsaw!

@Riffington- That is one of my many wet dreams. GURPS is one of many of my favorite game systems, but see a above. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of GURPS 3rd edition books and really like it for its versatility in being able to customize, but I'd prefer to use the existing mechanics of RIFTS. Besides I have a lot of other Palladium books to utilize ( Fantasy, Old School Robotech, Nightspawn urr I mean Nightbane, etc... it would seem a waste to start over with a new system.

@Mark Hall- Thanks for the links and the In. idea. I'll read those links in more detail because they look great at first glance. As for the pdf link, I'll try to save for the book, because honestly there is nothing like the feel of the book in your hands and the smell of the pages so to speak.
As far as house rules, and as well as free form, I'm all about that. Those things are the only way I survived running a WOD game in my Jr. of high school successfully with both vampires and werewolf players with a group of 12. Well that and Mountain Dew and Goodies powders.
You mentioned Robotech new books, I have most of the old editions. Are there huge differences between the old and the new or are they the same books with new covers?

@Gaiyamato- I remember the combat mechanics taking awhile. Is there anything you could suggest to help make it go quicker? Keep in mind it has been several years so my recollection could be a bit off.

Well, its really late my time, so forgive me if I missed something and feel free to leave further suggestions.

Freejack