PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief Questions

Darwin
2009-07-13, 05:01 AM
A quick question about the Steal Spell ability possessed by the Spellthief. What happens in case I try to steal a spell the target hasn't prepared or doesn't know? Do I get a randomly determined spell, or have I just wasted my sneak attack damage for nothing? Other abilities such as Steal Spell Effect explicitly states that if my choice of effect is unavailable I'll get a randomly determined effect from among those the target is currently under influence of, but I have been unable to locate such ruling on Steal Spell.

In addition I think I recall seeing a spell or ability that allowed the wielder to determine what spells his target has prepared. If such a thing indeed exists could someone point me in the direction of it? It'll certainly come in handy.

Gaiyamato
2009-07-13, 05:31 AM
This is covered in the spelltheif entry. You get a random spell from those the caster does know.

Darwin
2009-07-13, 05:44 AM
This is covered in the spelltheif entry. You get a random spell from those the caster does know.

Found it, I can't believe I missed the same sentence 3 times in a row =/

Gaiyamato
2009-07-13, 05:51 AM
Found it, I can't believe I missed the same sentence 3 times in a row =/

Don't worry. I've done that about 20 times on here now. lol.

TedEBearNC
2009-07-13, 08:50 AM
In addition I think I recall seeing a spell or ability that allowed the wielder to determine what spells his target has prepared. If such a thing indeed exists could someone point me in the direction of it? It'll certainly come in handy.

That's the Discover Spells class ability you get at 13th level. When you steal a spell you learn what all other spells of that level the spellcaster knows or has prepared. Then you can try to steal one of those on a subsequent attack. It's on page 20 of Complete Adventurer.