PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IX

Oregano
2009-07-13, 08:54 AM
Well as many of you shall be aware Dragon Quest IX finally launched on the DS on Saturday. It's so far done astoundingly well, selling 2.34 million copies in the last two days. In comparison Dragon Quest VIII sold 2.23 million in it's opening weekend.

However there has been a significant backlash against the game on the Japanese Amazon. Here's the breakdown of the reviews.

• 5 stars (67)
• 4 stars (57)
• 3 stars (70)
• 2 stars (86)
• 1 star (223)

However this is thought to be a mass troll attempt by the denizens of 2channel. Kotaku's Tim Rogers(who covered the launch for Kotaku) said in the comments section of their newstory.() (http://kotaku.com/5313062/these-amazon-japan-customers-do-not-like-dqix#pager)

there is literally a 94-page long "anti-DQ9" organized trolling thread on 2channel right now.

posting motifs include copying / pasting / updating a list of "things to complain about in amazon reviews", intended for people who have not played the game and want to contribute to the anti-DQ9 quest.

these people -- it's their only hobby! they're not even serious, most of the time. they just like messing with stuff.

So, what are your thoughts? Mass trolling or simply a terrible game? It'd be great if anyone has played it and can give their opinion.

Personally I think this is trolling as the Dragon Quest games have kept up the quality all throughout their run and I don't think Armor Project and Level 5 could mess up so badly with the development.

Shpadoinkle
2009-07-13, 10:55 AM
It's just mass trolling.

Oregano
2009-07-13, 05:58 PM
Well from all the people I know have played it they've said it's a great game but has it's flaws. It seems to be shockingly easy even though it was intended to be hard. I hope Level 5 haven't messed it up, of course, they wouldn't get the blame.:smallannoyed:

I'll still probably want to form my own opinion. I don't seem to agree with reviews lately at all.