PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realm: Zombie Survival

Otogi
2009-07-13, 09:22 AM
You are all in the wasted, western heartlands. Dozens of bones are scattered all around, and you can see a big lumpy hill in the far distance. The smell of sulfur, rotting corpses and negative energy fills the air as you try to transverse over thick mud and sand. What do you do?

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 10:16 AM
"Be on your guard men, we are in enemy territory"

Loknar walks slowly, its composite longbow ready to strike.

Tyrael
2009-07-13, 10:54 AM
Kennit

An old man trudges alongside him, his olive cap pulled low on his brow. A lit cigar wafts into the reddish light of the sun. A full set of heavy plate mail covers his body, covered in turn by a tattered brown cloak, its edges dusty and frayed from miles of travel. An enormous, heavily reinforced tower shield rests over his back like a turtle's shell, and a well-used longsword sits on his hip.

The old man glances at Loknar and snorts with weary amusement. "Son, we're half a dozen against an army of brainless killing machines, I ain't exactly optimistic about our chances!"

Lord_Goat
2009-07-13, 12:24 PM
Baeron

A man clad from head to toe in battlesteel, sporting a graven eye upon his right gauntlet and wearing a tabard of the Cormyr military, replies sternly :

It doesn't matter if we have chances or not. We must stand together, old man, and do our duty.

y2kjman
2009-07-13, 12:53 PM
Pylenor

The massive centaur just plods along, wary of every rustle and sound in the accursed plains. Taking care to crush every skull and body part that isnt decayed past the point of reanimation.

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 12:54 PM
"Exactly that. Strenght and honor" said Loknar beating a gauntlet against his ornately full plate.

"And Kennit, your bigass shield will protect you against all the lesser ones"

Tyrael
2009-07-13, 01:08 PM
Kennit

The old man coughs and takes a drag of his cigar. "Strength and honor? Feh. You go ahead and tell yourself that, lad. I'm sure the zombies will care deeply."

"Stay frosty, people!" Kennit calls to the group. "Eyes and ears. These jackasses ain't gonna kill themselves."

He continues to trudge along, eyes warily scanning the horizon.

y2kjman
2009-07-13, 02:09 PM
Pylenor

Slowly becoming perturbed by the constant chatter, Pylenor bellows, "Can't y'all just focus on what we're doing for once? God's know that if it weren't for your mouths we could actually hear something.

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 02:24 PM
"Like I care Pylenor... they are just dead bodies, no real threat to a true warrior" said Loknar with a smile.

Liadan
2009-07-13, 03:11 PM
Arylyss Namar, Human Cleric

Arylyss chuckled softly, a wry smile turning one corner of her lips up. "It is not always the simple dead bodies, but the disease and fear that follows them like a shroud." In her head she continued the litany of prayer to Ilmater, feeling the divine blessings inside ready to be called upon when needed. "You might crush the skulls of a hundred walking undead, but after the corpses are piled you can still fall from Mummy Rot if you do not take care."

Her hands twitching, she pulled her holy symbol from her bandolier, fingers spinning the red cord the silver medallion was strung through. "Let's not start the measure of brains or brawn just yet, gentlemen. We've a long ways to go before you can start trying to better each other."

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 03:32 PM
"Agreed" said Loknar, returning to his stern look after these funny moments.

If anyone agrees, I'd say we advance

Night Monkey
2009-07-13, 03:47 PM
"I concur, our efforts are destined to succeed only if they are properly co-ordinated, with the correct measures of boldness and caution, and intelligently executed. Do we, for example, have a plan of strategic action?"

Memorised spells:
Cantrips: Disrupt Undead x2, Resistance, Light, Prestidigitation.
Level 1: Mage Armour, Detect Undead, Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Expeditious Retreat.
Level 2: Flaming Sphere, Invisibility, Web, Bear's Endurance.
Level 3: Fireball, Fly, Hold Undead.

Tyrael
2009-07-13, 03:48 PM
Yes, please! :smallbiggrin: Onward ho!

Kennit

"Keep it moving, people," Kennit calls out, eyeing the sky. The clouds are slowly tinging with yellow as the sun broils overhead. "Sun's going down soon. We need to find camp before dark. Hustle along, now."

Killerloop
2009-07-13, 04:38 PM
"Hold on, maybe one of our mystics has some spell that can detect our Enemy? this will help much. Otherwise we can go ahead."

Liadan
2009-07-13, 07:04 PM
Arylyss Namar, Human Cleric

"I did not think to ask Ilmater's favour for any such spells, for I did not expect we would be looking to find them this night. I was planning to be more..." Arylyss pauses to think of the best word, scanning the horizon for anything out of the ordinary. "...defensively minded, for the time being. There will be enough trouble ahead that I do not see the need to actively seek it out yet."

Is this how I ask to do things, then? :smalleek:

Spot Check [roll0]
(Actively looking for terrain details, surroundings, or oddities about the geography)

y2kjman
2009-07-13, 10:01 PM
Pylenor

As he continues moving just ahead of the group trying not to let them too close to his hindquarters, Pylenor states very icily,Ilmater is not needed, not now, or ever. We can only rely on ourselves. Its a shame, if they actually cared... this mess would never have arised." Visibly agitated he continues ''IF they cared my tribe would still be among the living... damn them to the abyss. ALL OF THEM!

Pulls out one Bastard Sword (2H at the moment)

As he starts to angrily starts to play with his sword, he calms himself little by little.

Lord_Goat
2009-07-13, 11:07 PM
The tall warrior shoots a heated glance toward the heathen centaur, and take his position in the rear, so that the living dead cannot attack them from behind.

Spot check for trouble : [roll0]
Baeron's shield his currently strapped to his back, so AC 20, not 22

Killerloop
2009-07-14, 02:50 AM
"About that strategic coordination" said Loknar with emotionless voice "I'd say Pylenor and Kennit front rank, Baeron protects the rear and I stay with you spellcasters."

"Seems reasonable to me, if someone has another idea please explain"

Night Monkey
2009-07-14, 03:25 AM
Turning to Loknar, Nym replies, "I do have such an incantation memorised, however, its clairvoyant effects can persist only for a maximum of five minutes. I would prefer to withhold its application until a more opportune moment.
"As for your suggestion regarding marching order, I think it appears suitable for our group demographic."

Liadan
2009-07-14, 07:33 AM
Arylyss Namar

Arylyss keeps silent at Pylenor's words, filing them away mentally and offering no debate. Such thoughts speak of the Faithless, she thinks to herself, observing his reaction with schooled neutrality. And such responses are only meant to spark a reaction. Choose that battle carefully. She blinks as she steps around the bleached skull of a skeleton amidst the rubble at her feet.

She turns to Loknar, nodding at his suggestion. "Welcome to babysitting duty." Arylyss says quietly, a quick wink towards him as she opens her belt pack, pulling out a ring of platinum, fashioned as rope twisted around itself, and matching one on her left hand. "We'll try to not need too much protection, won't we, Master Amalith?"

She offers the ring to Nym, "If you would like, for your protection?"

(Night Monkey, the platinum ring is the divine focus for the spell Shield Other, which can be cast to take half your damage to my character. You can accept or refuse it should you wish. :smallwink: )

Night Monkey
2009-07-14, 12:36 PM
"Your compassion in this desparate hour does credit to you and your God. However, I already have a ring that helps to protect my life, without danger to your own," Nym holds up the plain silver band on his right hand, covered in Elven runic inscriptions. "This was a gift for my father, crafted by my mother, and now inherited by me now that I have taken on their vocation. I'm hoping they will not have need of it in Waterdeep."

Otogi
2009-07-14, 12:36 PM
In the far distance, you see some sort of tumbling mass, like flowers from afar. The mass gets taller and closer, and you then see the faces of the dead you're supposed to hunt.

Night Monkey
2009-07-14, 12:50 PM
"Ah, our necrotised nemeses approach."

Nym pulls out his longbow and nocks an arrow. He peers into the distance, attempting to get a clear view of what manner of enemy is approaching.

Spot check [roll0]

Tyrael
2009-07-14, 01:11 PM
Kennit

Kennit halts, narrowing his eyes.

"Ain't seen anything like this before," he mutters. With practiced ease, he calmly reaches down and slides open a small leather cylinder on his belt, dropping his lit cigar inside. In the same motion, his other arm reaches behind his back and unlimbers an enormous tower shield. The metal scabbard on his belt rasps loudly as he draws his longsword.

"You know the drill, people!" Kennit calls out. "Let's do what we do best."

[roll0]

Killerloop
2009-07-14, 01:18 PM
Loknar grinned coldly "Finally"

The big composite longbow literally screamed in his hands, requiring all his strenght to be pulled to the limit.

"Distance? I think we can begin to nail them from around 300 feet but in the dark I can't guess the distance correctly"

Otogi
2009-07-14, 01:20 PM
Monkey:
The undead seem to attacking in a mob with order or technique.

The horde draws even closer, and is only a few dozen feat away.

Night Monkey
2009-07-14, 01:54 PM
Monkey:
The undead seem to attacking in a mob with order or technique.

I take it you meant "without" there.

"The undead lack both intelligence and alacrity. I do not think we should have difficulty outwitting and outmanouvering them. An unthinking foe will inevitably become a defeated foe."

Killerloop
2009-07-14, 02:28 PM
"Let's thin their numbers then" said Loknar, unleashing the first arrow and preparing a new arrow to fire.

Otogi
2009-07-14, 03:47 PM
Yep.

Okay, everyone roll initative.

Tyrael
2009-07-14, 03:53 PM
Already rolled my initiative earlier (17), but forgot to label it.

They're only a "few dozen" feet away? How far away are they, exactly?

Kennit

The old man moves over beside Loknar, grunts slightly, and then slams his tower shield in the ground in front of the archer, providing him cover from returning fire.

"Take your time, son," Kennit tells him.

On my turn:
Move Action: Move beside Loknar
Standard Action: Activate Shieldmate, granting Loknar +2 to AC, and planting the shield in the ground, allowing it to be used as full cover.

Killerloop
2009-07-14, 04:13 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

"Thanks friend, though I do not expect them to fire back" said Loknar, taking position behind the tower shield

Liadan
2009-07-14, 04:16 PM
Initiative [roll0]

I am assuming that a few (three+) dozen feet away is about 36 feet away.

Arylyss pulls her crossbow from her haversack with a calm yet determined gleam in her eyes. She closes her eyes briefly as she centres herself, raising her holy symbol above her head, feeling divine blessings and positive energy flowing through her. The energy focuses on her holy symbol, ready to be released.

"I'm no mind reader, so don't let the testosterone stop you from asking for healing should you need it." She says loud enough for all to hear, eyes taking a moment to prioritize the enemies shambling towards them.

Night Monkey
2009-07-14, 05:15 PM
[roll0]

"Do not be concerned with the possibility of my reasoning powers being impaired during combat; I do not believe testosterone is a component of elven physiology."

y2kjman
2009-07-14, 07:41 PM
Pylenor

Pylenor Char Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=138282)
[roll0]
For some reason having trouble with the dice...

Using his massive height, the centaur looks for what he hopes is the thinnest of the dead. Hoping to break the line he starts cantering towards that spot pulling out his other massive Bastard Sword. Yelling "This one is for you father!" loud enough for the rest of the plains to hear he begins to froth at the mouth in anticipation of the carnage that is about to be wreaked this day.

Turning towards his party, he assumes timidness since bows have been pulled. Frustrated he yells at the cleric, "When you are ready to earn your keep let me know, so we can finally get this started!

y2kjman
2009-07-14, 07:43 PM
[roll0]
Here is the roll for the previous post.

Lord_Goat
2009-07-14, 11:19 PM
Baeron

Helm's fist they're fast!

Baeron drops his saddlebags to the ground and take his mighty Symhuirl into a high, two-handed guard.

Initiative : [roll0]

Otogi
2009-07-15, 11:12 AM
The horde approaches, all their tortured, emancipated faces screeching for you and your flesh.

Initiative:[roll0]

Killerloop
2009-07-16, 02:32 AM
This seems to be initiative order:

Nym (22)
Kennit (17)
Arylyss (14)
Zombies (14)
Pleynor (11)
Loknar (9)

So it would be a good idea to post in order IMHO

@DM: Can we get the battle grid? I'm somewhat disoriented.

Night Monkey
2009-07-16, 06:39 AM
"As nourishing fare as my brains may be to a palette such as yours, I must inform you that elf is off the menu for tonight."

Nym lets loose his arrow at the closest abomination, and applies a second arrow to the string.

To hit [roll0]
To damage if hit [roll1]

Tyrael
2009-07-16, 08:12 AM
Since I posted them earlier, I can't really change my actions.
Move: Move over to Nym
Standard: Activate Shieldmate and plant shield

Liadan
2009-07-16, 10:51 AM
Turning Check [roll0]
Let it be said, here and now, that my first attack roll on this site was a 1. :smallsigh:
If a natural 1 is not a critical failure, then this would be the rest of my turning check:
+2 for Knowledge (Religion) synergy
+1 to Cleric Level (from Improved Turning)
= Turn Check 5, Max HD affected 4HD