PDA

View Full Version : Magister Template Question (3.e)

Lord Denyuar
2009-07-13, 02:17 PM
I am wanting to create a wizard and happened upon the Magister Template from the Magic of Fearun (sp). It is really nice but does not come with a level adjustment. What level adjustment would you place upon it? If I remember correctly (I am at work), CR is +4.

arguskos
2009-07-13, 02:30 PM
I am wanting to create a wizard and happened upon the Magister Template from the Magic of Fearun (sp). It is really nice but does not come with a level adjustment. What level adjustment would you place upon it? If I remember correctly (I am at work), CR is +4.
Well, there is a major major MAJOR issue with having the Magister template: you are the personal servant of the gods Mystra and Azuth and have duties that don't really leave room for adventuring.

If you can get around the whole "you have other stuff to do than adventure" issue, I'd say +3 or +4 is a decent adjustment, considering it's a very powerful template.

Duke of URL
2009-07-13, 02:33 PM
If there is a CR adjustment and no LA listed, it is not intended for use by player characters.

Myrmex
2009-07-13, 02:39 PM
If there is a CR adjustment and no LA listed, it is not intended for use by player characters.

Unless it's 3.0.

Lord Denyuar
2009-07-13, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I realize it really isn't for players, but I love having a very open-minded DM. He'll love using the whole, others will kill you for your spot, hook. But a +3 or +4. Granted, I am wanting to change some flavoring (like different gods but still god of magic to god of magic) but wanted a lot of the benefits.

We are using both 3.0 or 3.5, whichever benefits the players better. We need it versus our DM.

hamishspence
2009-07-13, 02:42 PM
It is 3.0. So is the "chosen of bane" template in Faiths and Pantheons- Magister is basically a bit like Chosen, only two specific deities have "chosen" you, not one.

My guess is that CR did the job of LA in this case- character is effectively their level +4 for XP purposes.

There are online 3.5 updates for most of the 3.0 Faerun books.

Absent an update (BoVD, for example) probably best to remove skills that don't apply, update any Damage reduction to fit 3.5 as closely as possible, etc.

arguskos
2009-07-13, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I realize it really isn't for players, but I love having a very open-minded DM. He'll love using the whole, others will kill you for your spot, hook. But a +3 or +4. Granted, I am wanting to change some flavoring (like different gods but still god of magic to god of magic) but wanted a lot of the benefits.

We are using both 3.0 or 3.5, whichever benefits the players better. We need it versus our DM.
I'd go with +3 on the template then. Be warned that you have to be very high level to have it, and that it brings all sorts of dangers. That said, enjoy it! Let us know how the character goes, since I know I've always wanted to play a Magister. :smallbiggrin:

It is 3.0. So is the "chosen of bane" template in Faiths and Pantheons- Magister is basically a bit like Chosen, only two specific deities have "chosen" you, not one.

My guess is that CR did the job of LA in this case- character is effectively their level +4 for XP purposes.
Save that there IS a Chosen of Mystra template, and that isn't it. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-07-13, 02:45 PM
Thats why I said "a bit like"

Which book has the full Chosen of Mystra template- Epic Handbook or FRCS?

arguskos
2009-07-13, 02:46 PM
Thats why I said "a bit like"

Which book has the full Chosen of Mystra template- Epic Handbook or FRCS?
FRCS, pg 247. No LA or CR increase listed, though you could likely reverse-engineer it from Khelben or Elminster.

Also, fair enough. Wasn't sure if you knew about the Chosen template, many folks do not. :smallsmile:

Lord Denyuar
2009-07-13, 02:52 PM
I actually first saw template from crystal keep 3.0 templates. I am in process of making epic wizard who is going into both the homebrew lvl 10 force missle mage class from gitpg forums and arcana magic from DMG. Was thinking about adding the saint template for the fast healing, but didn't like 3 exalted feats pre-req, unless I can count the metamagics from BoED as 2 of those feats. I do like magister template and even tempted to try to tack on both, but that's a +5 or +6 lvl adjustment. and I already lose 1 spell caster level due to first level of FMM.

hamishspence
2009-07-13, 02:53 PM
yes, just forgot momentarily.

I think CR of each Chosen is, without exception, 4 higher than the sample character's CR ought to be. Suggesting its a +4 CR template.

arguskos
2009-07-13, 02:55 PM
I actually first saw template from crystal keep 3.0 templates. I am in process of making epic wizard who is going into both the homebrew lvl 10 force missle mage class from gitpg forums and arcana magic from DMG. Was thinking about adding the saint template for the fast healing, but didn't like 3 exalted feats pre-req, unless I can count the metamagics from BoED as 2 of those feats. I do like magister template and even tempted to try to tack on both, but that's a +5 or +6 lvl adjustment. and I already lose 1 spell caster level due to first level of FMM.
Hmm. I probably wouldn't go with the Saint template, mostly because it's a pain to get into. Also, those metamagic feats don't count as Exalted feats for the Saint template.

Magister Wiz 10/FMM 10 would be pretty fun. Highly specific, but really fun. :smallsmile:

yes, just forgot momentarily.

I think CR of each Chosen is, without exception, 4 higher than the sample character's CR ought to be. Suggesting its a +4 CR template.
I just checked Alustriel, Khelben, the Simbul, and Elminster from the FRCS. The first three show a +4 increase. Elminster... shows a +10. o.O Not sure what that's about. I'd be fine with saying it's a +4 increase though.

Lord Denyuar
2009-07-13, 03:01 PM
Exactly, but what I was really thinking was applying one of the epic metamagic feats to some of my magic missles and delaying FMM until I can reduce 2 metamagics on those spells to less than one. I was also thinking of grabbing as many metamagics as possible and the ample gathering of the epic feat called improved metamagic that reduces all metamagics to a min of +1. I am also going to take a couple of Improves spell Capacities

Lord Denyuar
2009-07-13, 03:04 PM
Just a little random though about the stupid saint pre-reqs, you need at least 3 exalted feats, but the example character only has 2. It also states that you can't lose those exalted feats due to alignment disagreement but doesn't say you can't lose them due to retraining or whatever. Almost implies you could lose them as long as it wasn't alignment related.

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 04:00 PM
Unless it's 3.0.

SS is 3.0, but lists level adjustments for templates that players can take.

hamishspence
2009-07-13, 04:04 PM
Could be retraining, or NPCs getting different rules from PCs (the 3 feats rule might be intended to balance it, for PCs)

herrhauptmann
2009-07-13, 09:03 PM
I would recommend the Magister class published the Sword and Sorcery guys. Their book is Arcana Unearthed.
However, it's a 3.0 book originally, so you might want to tweak it a little.
It also has many of the more minor effects of the magister template, without including a level adjustment.

I think the magister template should have a LA of at least +4.
ex: The shade template in FRCS is a CR +2, but when updated to 3.5 somewhere, it became a LA of +4.

Myrmex
2009-07-14, 12:04 AM
update any Damage reduction to fit 3.5 as closely as possible, etc.

DR 10/magic is a lot less shiny than DR 10/+2. I use the 3.0 rules for DR/magic in my games.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 08:22 AM
DR 10/magic is a lot less shiny than DR 10/+2. I use the 3.0 rules for DR/magic in my games.

I tend to turn DR X/+1 into DR X/magic, DR X/+2 or /+3 into DR X/magic and [material] or magic and [alignment], and DR X/+4 and higher into DR X/magic and [material] and [alignment]. It makes the DR actually usable in higher-level games without introducing any new DR descriptors for magic weapons.

Myrmex
2009-07-14, 10:45 PM
I like DR/+4 because you can't bypass it with Greater Magic Weapon with a CR equivalent encounter.