PDA

View Full Version : Wis/Str?

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 06:33 PM
Im looking for a race to synergize with an ardent/warblade. Primary attributes are strength and wisdom, secondary is con.

Human is of course a possibility for the free feat, but what else might be good?

Eldariel
2009-07-13, 06:47 PM
No +0 LA race boosts both. Orc-line has Str- and Con-boosts, but Full Orcs have Wis-penalty. Anthropomorphic animals have insane Wis-boost (particularly bat), but are cheesy. Lesser Aasimar has Wis-boost and Neanderthals have Str. That's about it off the top of my head.

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 06:50 PM
So human it is I guess.

Or synad, they seem neat.

Assassin89
2009-07-13, 06:58 PM
For a +1 LA races, Zenythri give a boost to both wisdom and strength, so it might be what you are looking for.

You might be interested by the Goliath or the Half-Giant, as both boost Str- and Con- and allows you to use larger weapons.

Fishy
2009-07-13, 08:46 PM
The extra mental swift action Synads get is usually better for Psychic Warriors than it is for Ardents. What're your mantles?

Kalashtar is great if you like power points, and Elan are just hard to kill.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-13, 10:52 PM
Check some of the races in Unearthed Arcana. Most of them have LA +0. I remember one race called earth dwarf: +2 str, +2 con, -2 wis, -2 dex.

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 11:00 PM
Current build is Synad Psywar 6/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 3.

Feats include practiced manifester, EK(Astral construct), boost construct, psychic renewal and overchannel. The general plan is to manifest two astral constructs using the ectopic adept capstone and white raven tactics the hell out of them.

With synad multitasking I can use white raven tactics two turns in a row, once per day.

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 11:03 PM
Also, does anyone know of a way to get a skill focus feat for free?

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-13, 11:37 PM
Also, does anyone know of a way to get a skill focus feat for free?

Convince your GM to allow flaws.

A number of alternate classes or racial substitution levels in classes grant specific skill focuses. It would help to know what skill focus you're looking for.

obnoxious
sig

quick_comment
2009-07-13, 11:41 PM
Skill Focus in Craft: Sculpting. Its one of the requirements for ectopic adept.

Riffington
2009-07-14, 12:13 AM
Im looking for a race to synergize with an ardent/warblade. Primary attributes are strength and wisdom, secondary is con.

Human is of course a possibility for the free feat, but what else might be good?

Switch to Pathfinder and play a half-orc?
:thog:

#Raptor
2009-07-14, 03:21 AM
Feral is LA 1, but got all you're looking for. *cough*... and more.

No, really. Its got +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, -4 int.
How you don't get cha penality for being feral is beyond me though. (Rawr! I'm feral, baby! :smallbiggrin:)

Fishy
2009-07-14, 03:36 AM
With synad multitasking I can use white raven tactics two turns in a row, once per day.

Better read Synad again- the swift action that Multitasking grants has to be spent on a purely mental action. Any of Psywar's swift action powers will work, but maneuvers require you to be able to move in order to initiate them, so your handy second brain can't do that for you.

Burley
2009-07-14, 06:37 AM
Feral is LA 1, but got all you're looking for. *cough*... and more.

No, really. Its got +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, -4 int.
How you don't get cha penality for being feral is beyond me though. (Rawr! I'm feral, baby! :smallbiggrin:)

Chicks dig the bad boy. He's so wild, it's groovy.

quick_comment
2009-07-14, 07:06 AM
Better read Synad again- the swift action that Multitasking grants has to be spent on a purely mental action. Any of Psywar's swift action powers will work, but maneuvers require you to be able to move in order to initiate them, so your handy second brain can't do that for you.

Oh, im not using WRT with the 2nd action, Im using pyschic recovery to recover it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-14, 10:23 AM
No +0 LA race boosts both. Orc-line has Str- and Con-boosts, but Full Orcs have Wis-penalty. Anthropomorphic animals have insane Wis-boost (particularly bat), but are cheesy. Lesser Aasimar has Wis-boost and Neanderthals have Str. That's about it off the top of my head.

Actually, from what I've seen, no core races of +0 LA raise Wisdom at all! I don't get that, personally.

woodenbandman
2009-07-14, 10:27 AM
There is always a Buomman. They've got +2 wisdom, I think, and they are also fun to play because they can't speak ever, which is no obstacle to a psion.

AstralFire
2009-07-14, 12:37 PM
Actually, from what I've seen, no core races of +0 LA raise Wisdom at all! I don't get that, personally.

It was a feeble attempt to balance spellcasting.

quick_comment
2009-07-14, 12:51 PM
It was a feeble attempt to balance spellcasting.

But there are plenty of races that give +int or +cha, both of which are primary spellcasting stats as well

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 01:15 PM
But there are plenty of races that give +int or +cha, both of which are primary spellcasting stats as wellNot really. There are very few +cha races. Spellscales and Lesser Aasimar are the only ones I can think of, and Aasimar are +2 Cha, +2 Wis(while Spellscales deal with a Con penalty). After all, we can't let the Sorc become any more OP, and Clerics and Wizards need the boost.

AstralFire
2009-07-14, 01:20 PM
And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO. I don't recall any common +Int LA +0s, except maybe one of the elves? I'm sick and tired, don't make me check.

Eldariel
2009-07-14, 01:34 PM
And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO.

Are you referring to the one in PGtF? 'cause there's very little ambiguity there. That said, it's still not much stronger than average LA +0; they have their uses, but Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes (yuck) and company all have things going on for them too.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 01:35 PM
And Lesser Aasimar was never RAI, IMO. I don't recall any common +Int LA +0s, except maybe one of the elves? I'm sick and tired, don't make me check.Gray and Star Elves, at least. I know there's about 6, I just can't remember all of them. And Gray Elves were core.

And how was Lesser Aasimar not RAI? They printed a statblock for something. Players using that statblock for characters wasn't RAI?

Eldariel
2009-07-14, 01:54 PM
Gray and Star Elves, at least. I know there's about 6, I just can't remember all of them. And Gray Elves were core.

Star Elves aren't +Int, they're +Cha. Gray Elves and Sun Elves (and Fire Elves) are +Int though. Other +Int races exist, such as Lesser Tiefling (PGtF) & Deep Imaskari (Underdark), but as you said, they aren't that common.

HamHam
2009-07-14, 02:03 PM
And how was Lesser Aasimar not RAI? They printed a statblock for something. Players using that statblock for characters wasn't RAI?

I think he means that it's intended for you to take the LA when you take your second level to become a full Aasimar, not to just stay a Lesser Aasimar forever.