PDA

View Full Version : The Mixyl-Pik: The Teleporting Terror (3.5 Monster, PEACH)

goken04
2009-07-13, 07:08 PM
Pantheans, you best keep out!

The Mixyl-pik is an adorable creature who looks something like a cross between a sloth and a raccoon, with slate-gray and dark-blue fur, and a dark-colored carapace around his torso. He's no good for throwing against a party for combat purposes (his claw attacks are sad...), but given the right set-up, I anticipate he'll be a tough challenge for the party. (Which consists of a Human Barbarian, Human Warblade, Drow Psion, Drow Wizard, and Goblin Bard, all of level 3.)

The setting for which I created him is that the party has been tasked with a side-quest by a high-level Wizard to retrieve this critter. The Wizard needs some of the creature's blood as a material component and needs the party to keep it alive because this is the only one the Wizard is aware of (and if they kill the creature, no more blood), but doesn't "want to be bothered" catching the animal himself. Fortunately for me, they didn't ask him too many questions about the Mixyl-pik.

The trick is the dungeon I intend to create for him (as his lair). You have to put lots of fun and terrible magical traps through out it (all resetting, of course), which the creature can just teleport around. Lots and lots of treasure, for the enjoyment of the mixyl-pik and the party. And I'd say at least one notable, extremely tempting, area under the effect of an anti-magic field (where the party can spend great periods of time setting a useless trap).

Mixyl-Pik
Size/Type: Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, +5 Dex, +3 natural), flat-footed 14, touch 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4+0)
Full Attack: 2 CLaws +2 melee (1d4+0)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Petrifying Gaze (Fort 15)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Dimension Door, Disqueting Aura 30 ft., Virulent Blood,
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Concentration +6, Perception +3, Stealth +11
Feats: Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Petrifying Gaze)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Double
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 4-7 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: --

The mixyl-pik is a lethargic creature that has been fairly compared to both the sloth and the raccoon. Like its small, mammalian cousins, the mixyl-pik is highly interested in silver objects (though the mixyl-pik expresses only interest in truly silver objects, trinkets which merely appear silver are not good enough and it seems to identify them instinctually) and, when motivated, can react surprisingly quickly. The mixyl-pik sleeps 20 hours per day and spends the other four eating and slowly constructing its nest (or often several nests in one lair).

An intricate facet of the design of any mixyl-pik's nest is the integration of a multitude of silver baubles and trinkets. Though the mixyl-pik moves slowly, it can teleport short distances at an alarming rate. It uses this natural advantage to search great depths for items it can add to its nests (which are typically built of rocks, mud, and moss the creature has collected). When it has found a suitable addition, it will place the object in a pouch along the inside of its cheek thereby allowing the object to accompany the mixyl-pik in its teleportation back to his lair.

The mixyl-pik consists on a diet of mosses, bugs, small rodents, and the occassional fish from an underground lake. It does not use its Petrifying Gaze to hunt, prefering instead to spend hours sneaking up on small rodents and bugs before snatching them with its long, sharp claws. The mixyl-pik's metabolism works at such a slow rate that it need eat only once or twice a week.

Combat
The mixyl-pik is not an aggressive creature and will always flee from combat at its first opportunity. Often, immediately before teleporting towards an escape route, the creature will use its Petrifying Gaze attack as a defense mechanism against any creatures it perceives as a predator. It will usually attempt to flee immediately upon making eye contact with any other creature of Small-size or larger.

Petrifying Gaze (Su) Turn to stone for 1d3 x 10 minutes, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 15 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Dimension Door (Sp) The mixyl-pik can teleport, as the spell Dimension Door (caster level 6th), except that its range is changed to 60-feet and the casting time is one swift action. The ability affects only the mixyl-pik and anything it may be carrying in its mouth.

Disquieting Aura (Su) The mixyl-pik projects a field in the space around it which dampens all noises within a 30-ft. radius (centered on the mixyl-pik) as if they had been affected by the spell Silence (Caster level 6th, no save). However, the resonance created by the aura makes the sudden silence difficult to detect and creatures who enter the aura must succeed at a Perception check (DC 13) or fail to notice the aura. Any creature with an Intelligence of 3 or higher that speaks or attempts to make vocalizations automatically notices that it has been silenced. When a creature is aware that it is under a Silence effect, it then receives a Will Save (DC 13) to overcome the effect. If it fails, the creature is Silenced for the duration of its time inside the Disquieting Aura. If the creature succeeds, it does not face the Silence effect of the aura until it leaves the aura's area and re-enters. Additionally, the mixyl-pik senses all vibrations within the Disquieting Aura and is treated as having Tremorsense (30-ft.) for for all objects or creatures within the Disquieting Aura who moved the previous turn. The mixyl-pik can activate or deactivate its aura as an immediate action.

Virulent Blood (Su) The mixyl-pik is renowned for its extraordinarily magical blood which is often used as a material component for extremely talented magicians. Because of its special blood, the mixyl-pik, its supernatural and spell-like abilities, any items it wears or uses, and any spells it casts (or has cast on it) are entirely immune to the effects of Dispel Magic (or similar spells) and anti-magic fields. All of the mixyl-pik's abilities that would normally be affected, instead function normally.

Skills
The mixyl-pik has a +2 racial bonus to its Concentration and Stealth checks.

As you probably noticed, we use a skill system which has been condensed to resemble the fourth edition skill list, so you may have to adjust the Mixyl-pik's 6 skill points as would be appropriate in your world, should you see fit to use him.

But basically, the idea is that this little bugger has a high likelihood of going quite early in initiative. With its tremorsense and Darkvision, the party isn't likely to get a surprise round. On its first turn, it attempts to petrify the closest enemy to it, then it teleports 60 feet towards an exit (hopefully, through a wall to another room). Ideally, the player characters shouldn't know that its gaze attack wears off after 10-30 minutes and should be utterly terrified when it happens. :smallbiggrin:

The party was tasked by the wizard to fit a collar (which will stop it from teleporting, though they don't know that since they didn't bother to ask) around the neck of the Mixyl-pik. While the party attempts to close into grapple-range, the Mixyl-pik will spend its time teleporting through out the dungeon (and its three nests therein), making the party chase it through numerous terrible traps and petrifying them whenever they get close enough.

What do you think? Does the little guy need any finishing touches? I put him at a CR 2, since he is not a very difficult encounter independently. The trick with this guy is placing him in an environment which favors him (and increases the CR appropriately).

Last encounter the same group TRASHED a CR 6, which is consistent with a trend of the party handling ECLs three levels higher as if they were an equal ECL, so I don't think something this difficult will be inappropriate for them.

goken04
2009-07-14, 07:16 AM
Also of note, how would you conceivably catch this fellow at level 3?

Chokuto
2009-07-14, 07:48 AM
I think petrifying gaze a little too beefy. Even if it's not permanent, at that level a Fighter would be lucky to have a +7 to fort, which is a 50% chance for him to be taken out, and the other members even less likely...

Debihuman
2009-07-14, 08:26 AM
It's easy enough to switch Listen or Spot for Perception and Move Silently for Stealthy. Not sure why you bother to change skills though.

In any case, the creature sleeps 20 hours a day so it should be easy to trap. Dropping a blanket over it will negate the Gaze.

How often can a mixly-pik use its disquieting aura and dimension door abilities? I think it should be no more than 3/day for 1 and 1/day for the other considering this is a 3 hit die creature. The way you have dimension door written, it seems like it should be a spell-like ability rather than a supernatural one.

I rather like that it has a temporary petrifying gaze, but if others find it too difficult, there could be a variant that slows its targets rather than petrifies them.

Debby

goken04
2009-07-14, 11:06 AM
Petrifying Gaze is beefy because I made ability focus a feat. Otherwise, it was only Fort 15. You're right that it would be too difficult to save against 17. I was thinking of swapping it for Lucky Start (reroll initiative 1/day) so that it beats initiative even more often. Thoughts?

All of its abilities are at will. It will be a bugger to catch. I think you're right about making Dimension Door a spell-like ability.

You could just transfer it, the problem is a 3HD abberration with an Int penalty only gets 6sp, so you can't put 3 ranks in Spot, Listen, Hide, and Concentration, so the bonuses would change. It shouldn't need Move Silently . :smallsmile:

(We really play a 3.6ish homebrew. We condensed the skill list significantly, because it is unnecessarily unwieldy in 3.5. It is one of several changes inspired by 4E)

In any case, the creature sleeps 20 hours a day so it should be easy to trap. Dropping a blanket over it will negate the Gaze.

This would be difficult to do without the creature waking up vis a vis its tremorsense.

Debihuman
2009-07-14, 11:41 PM
I think its special abilities overpower its CR if the powers are at will. There's no reason it needs dimension door more than 3 per day. These are abilities that would be appropriate to a higher CR creature. It seems to me that you are playing a rather overpowered game so for a standard 3.5 game, rather than a houseruled critter, I'd recommend the following changes:

Dimension Door (Sp): 3/day, as a swift action, the mixyl-pik can teleport, as the spell dimension door (caster level 6th), except that its range is limited to 60-feet. The ability affects only the mixyl-pik and up to 28 lbs.*

Disquieting Aura (Su): 3/day, the mixyl-pik projects a field in the space around it which dampens all noises within a 30 foot. radius (centered on the mixyl-pik) as if they had been affected by a silence spell, (Caster level 6th), No save. The effect lasts for 6 minutes, but the mixyl-pik can dismiss it as a swift action. A Listen check at DC 13 will reveal the disquieting aura. Any creature who can speak or vocalize automatically notices the disquieting aura.

*The carrying capacity of this creature is up to 28 pounds for a light load based on its size and Strength.

Edit: The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is: 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier.

The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is: 10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma).

You use Con rather than Cha (no problemo) but your numbers for the petrifying gaze DC should 13 plus ability focus feat so it would be a total of DC 15. I'm not sure how you arrived at 17.

2nd Edit: Aberrations only get 2 skill points + Int modifier (minimum 1) with quadruple for 1st hit die. With an Int of 4, its modifier is -3. So it only gets 6 skill points. 4 for 1st hit and 1 each for the other two. It should have 2 ranks in 3 skills: Concentration +4 (2 ranks plus Con modifier +2), Listen or Spot +3 (2 ranks + Wisdom modifier +1), Move Silently +7 (2 ranks + Dex modifier +5). It should also have Hide +9 (+4 size +5 Dex).

Also, I removed tremorsense because that gives it too many special abilities for its hit dice.

Last edit: Virulant blood being unaffected by dispel magic and anti-magic makes no sense for a creature with only 3 hit dice.

Virulent Blood (Su): The mixyl-pik is renowned for its extraordinarily magical blood which is often used as a material component for extremely talented magicians. Mixyl-pixes have a +2 bonus against dispel magic.

Debby

Owrtho
2009-07-15, 12:04 AM
This would be difficult to do without the creature waking up vis a vis its tremorsense.

So? Thats just like saying someone has good hearing. Just because when they're awake they can sense the vibrations and act on them, doesn't mean that it will wake up or respond while asleep.

Also, on the statement of it not needing Dimension Door more than 3 times a day, I think that wouldn't quite fit the concept as Dimension Door seems to be its primary form of movement.

Owrtho

Debihuman
2009-07-15, 12:20 AM
Dimension door is its primary means of escape. It has a Speed of 20 ft.

Debby

goken04
2009-07-15, 03:54 PM
Last edit: Virulant blood being unaffected by dispel magic and anti-magic makes no sense for a creature with only 3 hit dice.

Why not? Granted, it's a powerful ability, but it can't be the only 3HD creature immune to a spell or two.

I was just ball-parking the CR 2. You're right to guess that it's a high-powered, highly-house-ruled game. And all your edits make good use of the rules (particularly your catch of my mistake on the Petrifying Gaze DC! Thanks, haha!), but with those edits it wouldn't even be difficult for a CR 2 party to catch or kill the beasty.

The monster's entire premise is that he's not a threat, but he's difficult to catch. All the party has to do is make it use its dimension doors and then avoid its gaze long enough to close for grapple. I can't see how the party would need to use any of its resources (besides time) to catch it at all.

Owrtho is right that the Dimension Door was intended to be its primary form of moving, only using its base land speed to sneak up on prey. Perhaps I should reduce the land speed to 10?

I'm not sure on what Owrtho says about Termorsense, though. RAW (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#tremorsense) creatures with Tremorsense automatically sense all creatures in range, not specifying that you must be conscious to do so. You can argue RAI, but I always thought RAI was that creatures with Tremorsense would wake if other creatures approach. If you can make a Listen check to hear (and wake up) when you're sleeping (which, RAW, you do), why would creatures with heightened senses not be highly sensitive to being waken up?

I'd guess it's debatable (unless I'm missing something), but I like ruling it the way I have in the past. It prevents parties from sneaking up on dragons (assuming you rule similarly for blindsight/sense) and CDGing them in their sleep. (I was in a party and we did that once. Granted, the dragon probably should have magical alarms set to wake it up... but not all DMs have a 28 Int, haha.)

Debihuman
2009-07-15, 07:06 PM
Because as written now: virulent blood make the creature immune to dispel magic and the like and nullifies anti-magic fields. That is simply too powerful for a CR 2 creature. I wouldn't mind so much if it were immune to only dispel magic but this is how it was written:

Virulent Blood (Su) The mixyl-pik is renowned for its extraordinarily magical blood which is often used as a material component for extremely talented magicians. Because of its special blood, the mixyl-pik, its supernatural and spell-like abilities, any items it wears or uses, and any spells it casts (or has cast on it) are entirely immune to the effects of Dispel Magic (or similar spells) and anti-magic fields. All of the mixyl-pik's abilities that would normally be affected, instead function normally.

Too much of a good thing is simply too much. I don't think that it should be immune to dispel magic since the spell is a 3rd level spell, which means only casters of 6th level or higher can use it. Why should it be appropriate to a CR 2 monster? It just doesn't fit. Not only is it immune to dispel magic, but its special abilities and any magic spells and items it has can't be dispeled either and all of them function normally in an anti-magic field. I don't think that ability is appropriate to CR 2 and may not be appropriate to creature of a higher CR.

I really like the way the petrify was done.

Giving it Tremorsense only when it uses its Disquieting Aura seemed patently like a DM wanting his cake and eat it too. If it has tremorsense, then it should be listed in special abilities separately.

I don't believe a sleeping creature can use its tremorsense. It may or may not wake up when a blanket is placed on it, as it depends on how heavy a sleeper the creature is.

Petrifying gaze, dismension door and disquieting aura and tremorsense just add up to too many special abilities for a CR 2 creature.

Frankly, I'd just bribe it with food and especially silver, befriend it, and make sure the bard casts lullaby to keep it sleeping as long as possible.

Edit: Goken04, you know what works in your campaign. Thank you for confirming my suspicison that that you play in an overpowered campaign. I'm just trying to reign this in for a more standard 3.5 CR 2 creature.

Using more standard 3.5 rules and even allowing for Tremorsense 30 ft., this is how I think it should look (and note I gave it dimension door very similar to that of the blink dog, which is also CR 2. Blink dogs cannot dimension door with items and the mixyl-pik can. That's a big enough boost. I think this in in keeping with the original idea but toned down enough for CR 2.

Mixyl-Pik
Size/Type: Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, +5 Dex, +3 natural), flat-footed 14, touch 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Petrifying Gaze
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., dimension door, disquieting aura, tremorsense 30 ft., virulent blood
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Concentration +4, Hide +9, Listen +3, Move Silently +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Petrifying Gaze)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Double (100% silver items)
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Dimension Door (Sp): A mixyl-pik can teleport, as dimension door (caster level 6th), once per round as a free action but it is limited to 60 feet. The ability affects only the the mixyl-pik and up to 28 pounds of stuff it can carry.

Disquieting Aura (Su): 3/day, the mixyl-pik projects a field in the space around it which dampens all noises within a 30 foot radius (centered on the mixyl-pik) as if they had been affected by a silence spell, (Caster level 6th), No save. The effect lasts for 6 minutes, but the mixyl-pik can dismiss it as a swift action. A Listen check at DC 13 will reveal the disquieting aura. Any creature who can speak or vocalize automatically notices the disquieting aura.

Petrifying Gaze (Su): Turn to stone for 1d3 x 10 minutes, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 15 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Virulent Blood (Su): The mixyl-pik is renowned for its extraordinarily magical blood which is often used as a material component for extremely talented magicians. Mixly-piks have a +2 racial bonus against dispel magic spells.

Variant mixyl-pik: There is a type of mixyl-pik that has a slowing gaze rather than a petrifying one. Its gaze has a 30 ft. radius and creatures are slowed for 1d6 rounds, 30 ft. Fortitude 15 negates. The save is Constitution-based.

Carrying Capacity: A mixyl-pik can carry up to 28 pounds as light load.

Debby