PDA

View Full Version : What breed of cat is Mr. Scruffy?

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-13, 08:01 PM
His friendliness towards people he isn't ordered to attack, seeming intelligence, and (perceived) appearance puts me in the mind of a siamese, myself. Maybe lynx-seal point or somesuch. Heh. Although that's ascribing a higher degree of detail than we can see.

Any other cat fanciers have any other rational thoughts? (Assuming he's a real world breed of cat at all.)

Belkster11
2009-07-13, 08:23 PM
His friendliness towards people he isn't ordered to attack, seeming intelligence, and (perceived) appearance puts me in the mind of a siamese, myself. Maybe lynx-seal point or somesuch. Heh. Although that's ascribing a higher degree of detail than we can see.

Any other cat fanciers have any other rational thoughts? (Assuming he's a real world breed of cat at all.)

I always thought of him as a white Siamese cat. They look very royal and I could def. see Lord Shojo having one.

Järnblomma
2009-07-13, 09:15 PM
I saw a short-haired Birma. They do exist!

Siamese, of course, is very viable too. But they are a bit too... gracious, methinks, for Lord Shojo.

the_tick_rules
2009-07-13, 09:43 PM
Super Awesome breed?

Logalmier
2009-07-13, 09:46 PM
Mr. Scruffy breed.

Assassin89
2009-07-13, 09:47 PM
Here's an idea, non-pedigree cat.

Alternatively, Mr. Scruffy is just a cat since there were no breeds of cat during the time period of the setting.

the_tick_rules
2009-07-13, 09:54 PM
Breeding has been done for millenia. Especially amongst nobility. Of course given the level of detail in the comic it's hard to tell.

Conuly
2009-07-13, 10:07 PM
Breeding has been done for millenia. Especially amongst nobility. Of course given the level of detail in the comic it's hard to tell.

Well, their calendar only goes up a few hundred years, right?

I'm also voting for "mutt cat", but acknowledging that there probably are breeds of cat in their world.

Callista
2009-07-13, 10:26 PM
Oriental Shorthair.

Very much like Siamese without the points.

Siamese in general have a great deal of dignity, but they're all about manipulating the environment around them--the people, the things, whatever--and they've got the brains to pull it off, too. But they are rather trainable cats and will work for food... i.e., they are very easy to bribe. :)

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-13, 10:37 PM
Definitely a white persian

The lap cat of scheming world rulers everywhere!

Trebuchet
2009-07-13, 10:38 PM
A white persian cat, such as Blofeld had (http://www.mi6.co.uk/images/stills/yolt_2_280.jpg) in "You Only Live Twice." I know Lord Shojo wasn't a super-villain, but I always thought he seemed like the sort to enjoy James Bond movies.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-13, 10:41 PM
Oriental Shorthair.

Very much like Siamese without the points.

Siamese in general have a great deal of dignity, but they're all about manipulating the environment around them--the people, the things, whatever--and they've got the brains to pull it off, too. But they are rather trainable cats and will work for food... i.e., they are very easy to bribe. :)

Yeah, these are some of the traits that made me think Siamese, myself. Also, Mr. Scruffy seems rather vocal, which is another trait of them. I've kept several cats over the years, but Siamese have always been my favourite. I was going through the archives and I suddenly wondered what breed Mr. Scruffy might be.

I mean, not that it matters in any way, shape, or form. It'd be kind of like knowing what Xykon's blood type was when he was alive. Curse my academic curiosity! :smalltongue:

Olorin Maia
2009-07-13, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Xykon's bloodtype is type Evil.

Conuly
2009-07-13, 11:47 PM
Of course, reading this makes me realize how many breed names that are coming up are location based. How can they have Siamese, Burmese, or Persian cats if they do not have a Siam, a Burma, or a Persia? Miko was baffled at the mention of "Japan", remember? I'm guessing no Javanese or Maine C* cats are options either, and if they have dogs they won't have Dalmations, nor would they call yellow birds canaries.

*thinks*

Now I want to know more about the geography of the Stickverse so I know what breed names are likely!

*You know, those big 25 pound cats from Maine?

Jagos
2009-07-13, 11:55 PM
Here's an idea, non-pedigree cat.

Alternatively, Mr. Scruffy is just a cat since there were no breeds of cat during the time period of the setting.

Egypt comes to mind...

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-14, 12:02 AM
Of course, reading this makes me realize how many breed names that are coming up are location based. How can they have Siamese, Burmese, or Persian cats if they do not have a Siam, a Burma, or a Persia? Miko was baffled at the mention of "Japan", remember? I'm guessing no Javanese or Maine C* cats are options either, and if they have dogs they won't have Dalmations, nor would they call yellow birds canaries.

*thinks*

Now I want to know more about the geography of the Stickverse so I know what breed names are likely!

*You know, those big 25 pound cats from Maine?

Well, yes, obviously the *name* of the breed would be different, but several of the other characteristics might be in place. I don't know Rich well enough to know if he's a cat lover or ever likely to write anything where Mr. Scruffy's breed actually matters. Like I said, it's academic curiosity. Heck, maybe there aren't breeds. Mr. Scruffy might be the only living cat in the Stickverse. I don't *think* we've seen any others, excepting maybe Roy's Bag of Tricks, which I don't recall producing cats.

EDIT: The penguilion does NOT count. :op

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-14, 12:13 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

Kitty! and he's orange

Haven
2009-07-14, 12:17 AM

So the breeds would be Nowhereian or SomeplaceElsese or whatnot? Hum.

Corwin Weber
2009-07-14, 12:28 AM
He's a mutt. I'll go as far as part siamese, but not purebred.

Cat people generally speaking don't tend to breed cats the way dog people do dogs. There are a few purebred lines, but overall the pedigree/purebred bit just isn't as important to most cat people.

Morquard
2009-07-14, 01:50 AM

Kitty! and he's orange

No way. THis here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0346.html) is Kitty!

Scarlet Knight
2009-07-14, 08:43 AM
According to the imaginary "Guide to Azure City" , Mr Scruffy is likely a :

"Azurite Golden shorthair, a favored breed among Nobility in the south for it's loyalty and fierceness, making it the ideal familiar or animal companion.

Aptly named for their eye color and value, the Azurite Golden is known to have a fondness for mackerel..."

http://pannya.deviantart.com/art/Pearly-White-ACEO-99148632

Meg
2009-07-14, 09:35 AM
I vote mutt. Lord Shojo would probably pick the smartest cat, breed be darned.

pflare
2009-07-14, 09:39 AM
I honestly think that he's just a white housecat a melange of a bunch of breeds. That being said I think that the argument can be made for siamese. He looks kind of like a siamese (at least he's not fluffy), he has the (somewhat bipolar) personality of a siamese, and he's form the southern lands which has a very asian/oriental theme to it and that's where siamese cats are from originally.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-14, 09:48 AM
I honestly think that he's just a white housecat a melange of a bunch of breeds. That being said I think that the argument can be made for siamese. He looks kind of like a siamese (at least he's not fluffy), he has the (somewhat bipolar) personality of a siamese, and he's form the southern lands which has a very asian/oriental theme to it and that's where siamese cats are from originally.

Yeah, I agree on these points. I don't understand the mutt votes, though, or the comment on cat fanciers not being as into breeding specifics as dog fanciers. That might be true in some way, but last I checked (granted, this was the early 90's...) cat shows were a bit more demanding than dog shows, particularly when it came to breeding. Besides, this is *Lord* Shojo. He's a noble. It would speak ill of him to have a mutt cat...although on the other side of the coin, probably forgivable, since he was "senile." I suppose that would depend if he had Mr. Scruffy before he went "senile", or only acquired him at about the same time.

Also, assuming Mr. Scruffy has become Belkar's official Animal Companion, he's got to be one of the cooler ones ever. Who ever picks a housecat? Heh. Granted, he only wins this because Lien's and Hinjo's pets are Paladin Mounts, not Animal Companions.

(Also, feel free to regale us with any cool mount/companion stories you have from your PnP groups.)

Trebuchet
2009-07-14, 11:52 AM
I don't understand the mutt votes, though, or the comment on cat fanciers not being as into breeding specifics as dog fanciers.

<snip>

Besides, this is *Lord* Shojo. He's a noble. It would speak ill of him to have a mutt cat...although on the other side of the coin, probably forgivable, since he was "senile." I suppose that would depend if he had Mr. Scruffy before he went "senile", or only acquired him at about the same time.

The mutt votes make sense to me. Heterozygous advantage (the idea that hybrids are more resistant to diseases and genetic flaws) is pretty clear; inbreeding tends to create susceptibility to all kinds of problems, and mutts of all kinds are usually hardier.

I don't think Lord Shojo worried too much about his reputation, since he played the fool for many years. If Mr. Scruffy (not a purebred sounding name, but an affectionate one) were to be subjected to insults, Shojo could just have him killed for sedition against the ruler of Azure City. I am sure no one said anything to the detriment of a cat whose litter box was cleaned by paladins.

As for cat fanciers, I don't get that either. As far as I know, they do care about breeding as much as dog owners, or horse owners, or any other breeders.

Deme
2009-07-14, 01:56 PM
Given that Mr. Scruffy isn't blue, we can safely assume he is not of an Azure City-born breed. From there, though, it's up in the air.

Tenebrais
2009-07-14, 02:09 PM
Given that Mr. Scruffy isn't blue, we can safely assume he is not of an Azure City-born breed. From there, though, it's up in the air.

He's white, though, which is a valid Azure City colour.

Beren
2009-07-14, 02:18 PM
Felis catus cartunis.

Shining Sadist
2009-07-14, 03:07 PM

Kitty! and he's orange

You'd better not huff him. (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kitten_huffing)

Souhiro
2009-07-14, 05:28 PM
It is a Norrys' Kinda pet.

Nuff said

Callista
2009-07-14, 05:55 PM
As for cat fanciers, I don't get that either. As far as I know, they do care about breeding as much as dog owners, or horse owners, or any other breeders.Cat owners are more likely not to care about breed than dog owners. Cat breeders, though, are every bit as focused as dog breeders on perfecting their favorite breeds. I think that's the difference. Of course there are plenty of dog owners who like mutts; just less of them.

"Mr. Scruffy" does seem like it might be a name belonging to a moggy, though, doesn't it?

It could simply be that Mr. Scruffy is living in Azure City at a time before formal breeding but after the point at which an isolated population of cats develops a distinct appearance and personality before the breed is refined, which happened with the Egyptian Mau and--yes--the Siamese.

FlawedParadigm
2009-07-14, 08:01 PM
I just always assumed Mr. Scruffy was a named picked to "prove" the "senility" of Shojo. I never really considered it as simply an affectionate one. Could go either way, I guess, in a Julia Greenhilt sort of way.

Saknussem
2009-07-14, 10:53 PM
Sphynx Cat, imho

http://img.quamut.com/chart/12551/19_CatBreeds_sphynx.jpg

Like Mr. Bigglesworth, but not.

I also don't get the whole cat fanciers aren't into breeding as much as dog breeders. I think both groups are equally fanatical, honestly. I mean, my friend had a Supreme Grand Champion Exotic Shorthair and when he was in shows, his features were measured using a micrometer! The difference between his win and the second place critter was, if I remember correctly, about 2 millimeters. Anyhow, both groups are very focused and determined, and, if reputable and responsible, are NOT into breeding for something genetically damaging (like a German Shepherd Dog's sloping hips which resulted in just about the whole breed having hip dysplasia).