PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K

kirbsys
2009-07-13, 09:46 PM
My friends and I are thinking about starting to play Warhammer 40k every once and a while, but as I'm sure many of you know, it's a fairly expensive game to play, so before I go out and start buying things I have some questions for some people that already play.

First off, what exactly does the Rulebook contain? If I buy the fifty dollar rule book will that be enough to play, or does one have to purchase the Codex for the army one wishes to play as well? Secondly, what exactly do the Codexes contain? Do they have the stats of all the units for that army? Finally, how feasible is it to play the game entirely with proxies? (ie. Using coins and laminated print outs rather than miniatures) Do unit stats come only with the units, or is it possible to find the stats elsewhere? I understand that the game would be much more fun and involved with all miniatures and that most tournaments and stores don't allow proxies, but several of my friends have large enough tables for us to play at their houses.

Blackjackg
2009-07-13, 09:49 PM
You should have the Codex for any army you want to play. They contain vital information about each unit that you won't find in the main book.

As long as you're just playing with your friends, the game is completely playable with proxies and tokens. Try to take that to Games Workshop and you'll be laughed right out of the building.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-07-13, 09:50 PM
Most of the War40k discussion here happens on the Gaming (other) forum, but I can answer your questions here.

If it's anything like Fantasy, the rulebook will tell you how to actually play the game, and a short description of the armies, but that's it. The Codexes (how do you pluralize codex anyway?) have all of the actual unit stats in it. To play, you need both.

You CAN play with a friend using only proxies, but most of the reason why people play is so that they can build and paint the mini's.

One Step Two
2009-07-13, 10:42 PM
The big hardcover rulebook contains alot of fluff about armies, background to the 40k 'verse, and some nice glossy pics. My recommendation is to grab yourself a Battle for Skull Pass set. It gives you two functioning (albiet slightly lean) armies, a pocket sized rule book with little to no fluff, dice and 18" measuring sticks.

The rulebook it self has a majority of rules for all armies, including stats for units. The codecies however supercede the rulebook, and usually contain specific and updated rules.

40k is a wonderful hobby, and the best peice of advice I can give for collecting an army is once you start with a core force of units (usually consisting of 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices) is slowly expand, if you can take the time to model and paint each squad in turn it hurts your wallet less in the long run. As soon as I learn to follow my own advise I will be happier :smallwink:
That said, proxy to you hearts content to try out new units and different tactics with your friends, trying before you buy never hurt anyone, but do be sure that you get the base sizes correct, that's the most vital part.

Swiftblu
2009-07-13, 10:52 PM
. . . (how do you pluralize codex anyway?) . . .

Codices. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex)

infinitypanda
2009-07-13, 11:18 PM
My recommendation is to grab yourself a Battle for Skull Pass set. It gives you two functioning (albiet slightly lean) armies, a pocket sized rule book with little to no fluff, dice and 18" measuring sticks.

I think you mean Assault on Black Reach. Battle for Skull Pass is for WHFB.

One Step Two
2009-07-13, 11:23 PM
I think you mean Assault on Black Reach. Battle for Skull Pass is for WHFB.

Yes, I did, thanks for correcting me, I had a total brainloss moment there. :smallbiggrin:

Capricornus
2009-07-14, 09:36 AM
Part of the problem with using proxies is with line-of-sight. This is a part of the mechanics of the game. i.e. if you can trace line of sight from a unit to its target, you can shoot it. Intervening terrain that completely blocks LoS prevents targeting, or if it partially blocks it, makes it harder to hit. Using coins or somesuch alters that dynamic, since the miniatures are 3D, and their size and shape affects how the game is played, since a five inch tall (just a guess) Wraithlord model is a lot harder to hide than a flat coin. Also, using laminates/paper/cardboard cutouts means that the units are only 2D and what happens when you want to shoot at one from the side? ;)

Now, I'm not saying it can't (or shouldn't) be done. I played 40k for years and I know how expensive and time-consuming it is. Just be aware that the rules are meant to be played with the miniatures, and doing without them are going to require some adjustments.

Cheers!