PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Martial arts-style character?

L'intrigant
2009-07-13, 10:43 PM
I know the main two, monk and Setting Sun swordsage. I just want to know if there's a more efficient or more powerful way to kill things using your bare hands. Any pointers?

Berserk Monk
2009-07-13, 10:47 PM
You could go kensai and turn you hands into magical items.

Anxe
2009-07-13, 10:52 PM
Bear Warrior. Kill things with your paws. Or Druid.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-13, 11:11 PM
Fighting unarmed, in order of power, you can use:
Druid
Unarmed Swordsage
ToB class with IUS
Psywar with IUS
Barbarian/Bear Warrior
Kensai with IUS
Rogue with IUS
Duskblade with IUS
Charger Barbarian with IUS
Charger Fighter with IUS
Monk
Anything with VoP and IUS

I may be forgetting some, and all of that's IMHO, but it should be enough to get you started.

L'intrigant
2009-07-13, 11:37 PM
Unarmed swordsage is really that good? Jeez.

Glimbur
2009-07-13, 11:45 PM
Totemist is sort of the flavor you want, in that they don't use weapons. They instead shape the souls of magical beasts to get claws or bites or such. Check Magic of Incarnum for details.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 12:10 AM
Unarmed swordsage is really that good? Jeez.For fighting without weapons, yes. However, many of those classes I listed would be much better than it if they had a decent weapon. Punching a dragon in the nose is only so effective, after all.

And Totemist is supposed to be very good, but I've never seen one so I can't be sure.

L'intrigant
2009-07-14, 01:22 AM
Yeah, the whole reason I was staying away from druids is the same reason I plan to stay away from totemists. This isn't so much about fighting without weapons as it is genuine martial arts-style stuff. Generically the monk takes that spot, but I'm not quite so blind that I don't understand they suck nine times out of ten. I was looking for something that could do the whole Crouching Tiger thing without inhaling so vigorously that three universes implode on my character sheet.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 01:28 AM
Look into Talashtora. It's a feat that stacks Monk and Psywar levels for the purposes of Unarmed damage. Monk 2/Psywar 18 is decent enough.

elliott20
2009-07-14, 01:48 AM
the reason why unarmed SS are good at these things is because they can take Superior Unarmed Strike to further boost it, AND they are already Swordsages who have a load of options.

But do remember, that this is kind of the upper echelon of power you're talking about here. It needs to be calibrated to the power level of your campaign.

If you got, say, people with less than optimized builds running around, you could easily afford to have a Unarmed Swordsage / Warblade with superior unarmed strike running around using Iron Heart maneuvers with their barehands, and that'll make a pretty convincing unarmed martial arts character.

JellyPooga
2009-07-14, 02:00 AM
If you want less of a Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon style 'mystic' martial arts character and would prefer a more 'realistic' one, you could see about persuading your DM to use the various martial arts feats from d20 Modern to improve your unarmed capabilities (check the d20 Modern SRD for details).

AslanCross
2009-07-14, 02:20 AM
Unarmed Setting Sun Swordsage only represents one form of martial arts (mostly Judo). Here's a link (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=846396)I came across a while back that aims to represent various real world styles through Swordsage disciplines.

elliott20
2009-07-14, 02:25 AM
Friggin' saved, AslanCross. Thanks for that link.

I actually tried doing something similar with Jing Yong characters and they turn out pretty good too.

AslanCross
2009-07-14, 02:28 AM
Friggin' saved, AslanCross. Thanks for that link.

I actually tried doing something similar with Jing Yong characters and they turn out pretty good too.

No problem. I knew it would be helpful someday.

Btw, to clarify: Apparently it isn't only Swordsage disciplines. There's a lot for any martial adept class there.

Lyndworm
2009-07-14, 02:39 AM
There's a feat that lets Rogue stack with Monk in order to determine Unarmed damage, and it gives +2 DC to Stunning Fists made as part of a Sneak Attack. It's called Ascetic Rogue and can be found in Complete Adventurer.

It might be good for a Martial Arts build, though Swordsage would still be more effective if not more flavorable.

Tetsubo 57
2009-07-14, 10:25 AM
Battle Dancer from the Dragon Compendium?

Oslecamo
2009-07-14, 10:54 AM
+1 to totemist. The class was basically built for that. Just grab a copy of magic of incarnum, read the meldshapes available and go nuts.

Doc Roc
2009-07-14, 02:53 PM
Incoming links for the ToB build compendiums. There's some sophisticated builds based on unarmed swordsage that are very interesting.

Also of note is the shou disciple class from Unapproachable East, one of the few good monk PrCs.

Compendiums I (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=683941&highlight=compendium), II (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=683941&highlight=compendium)