PDA

View Full Version : Extra Chewy PrC

oxinabox
2009-07-13, 11:24 PM
This PrC is primary for pirates, well actually anyone who's lost a limb.
Characters who take this have already demonstated there "extra chewy", this is to make them more so.
It's all about having limbs eaten off. in RL it's normally caught in the rigging and ripped off. in Fantasy it'll be a shark, or a lion, or a aquatic T-Rex.

It's designed for an NPC, but i think it's not too unbalanced...
It's statted off barbarian for BaB (full) and saves.

there are only 3 levels to the PrC. dm's feel free to ban parts of the PrC, i know you will anyway if you want to, it's your game.

EyePatch is something i'm not sure on, use it if you will, don't if you won't.
People with eyepatch don't qualify for the PrC but they can benefit from it.

Hook
Primary penalty: can't hold anything in that hand.
But hook can be used a a weapon 1d4, crit x2 (light, simple, piercing), (normally offhand).
Disguise Penalty: -5 to Disguise
skill penalty: -5 to disable device, open lock, slight-of-hand

If you're a harsh dm, then hook might not be a simple weapon, if your a nice dm the hook is a natural weapon .'. your automatically proficient

Peg leg:
primary penalty: -5 ft from speed.
skill penalty : -5 to balance, tumble, move silently

Eye Patch:
primary penalty: effective spot = 1/2 actually spot (this penalty is applied after ability modifier is added
skill penalty : -5 to search, decipher Script, forgery

Extra Chewy

What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger
Req:
Saves: fort base save:+5 or greater
Special:
Must have a peg leg and/or a hook.
Must have survived "Massive Damage" (possibly when he lost the limb).

Table 1-1 The Extra Chewy
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Used to it:
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Take Advantage of it:
3 +2 +3 +1 +1 It's only a surface wound.

HitDice: d10
Class Features:
Weapon and Armour proficiencies: none gained.

Skill Points: 4+ int mod
Class skills: Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge Dungeoneering, Knowledge Nature, Profession, Survival, Perform Oratory (generally gruesome story about how they lost their limb)

Used to it (lvl 1)
You've adapted to your missing limb/s and/or eye.
you no longer take the skill penalty associated with any of your prosthetics (or your missing eye).
You did still take the Disguise penalty, it's hard to hide a missing leg, arm or eye.

Take Advantage of it: (lvl 2)
You take advantage of your prosthetics, what others see as a disablity you see as an enhancement.
If you have multiple prosthetics you only gain one (your choice) of these advantages:
Eyepatch: Blind-fight. you're used to not being able to see as well as others.
Hook: two weapon fighting, (only useable with hook seing as how you can't hold a weapon in that hand)
Peg Leg: Diehard (even if you don't have endurance). "That shark took of my leg, but you think that stopped me? I tore it out of his mouth and beat him to death with it."

It's only a surface wound. (lvl 3)
You're used to taking punishing blows.
You get +10 to Fortitude saves to survive massive damage
In almost all cases this means automatic success*

*[I]at lvl 3 of this PrC your base Fort is 8 (due to requirements),
the save for massive damage is 15 (to succeed mus equal)
your effective for is 18+con mod.
min con mod (is rolled) is -4,
min dice roll is one, which for someone tith -4 con mod would a succeed on a 1.
min possible con mod ( -5: say an elf who rolled a 3 when rolling character then took his -2 penality, but such a character would proably not qualify for this PrC as they would fail the "Has survived massive damage requirment" due to lack of HP if nothing else".)

Rhawin
2009-07-14, 12:52 AM
Pretty weak really. The first class feature is simply partial compensation for a negative. It would be cool if some of the abilities actually did make your stronger. You know, more than taking a level in Fighter would.

The class would be vindicated if you altered the name of It's Just a Surface Wound to It's Just a Flesh Wound!.

oxinabox
2009-07-14, 01:16 AM
vindicated as in made more clear?

I guess it is kinda weak.
But, Loosing a limb should confer some disadvantage.
:smallconfused: It's not ment to be a good idea to cut of a limb :smallconfused:
Do you suggest, adding the feature from the secend level to the first leval, and making it a 2 level PrC?

Admiral Squish
2009-07-14, 01:24 AM
My personal recommendation is to go a lot more into the prosthetics themselves. Perhaps this class offers ways for you to craft multiple weapon-attachments for your severed limbs. Crossbow-hand. Knife-hand. Maybe a leg-sword?

Perhaps it gains magical abilities that are only possible by replacing body parts with magical devices. Some sort of magical sensor instead of an eye? I think this has potential.

I mean, there's always some sort of villan missing a hand who's got a cabinet full of weapon-hands or something.

oxinabox
2009-07-14, 01:45 AM
I mean, there's always some sort of villan missing a hand who's got a cabinet full of weapon-hands or something.

Nice, I might work on that latter.
Rightnow got to finish of making the NPC's, for this semi random encounter that uses this class.

Came very close to making the hook brilliant...
\Till i realised that would make it useless

Mo_the_Hawked
2009-07-14, 02:05 AM
My personal recommendation is to go a lot more into the prosthetics themselves. Perhaps this class offers ways for you to craft multiple weapon-attachments for your severed limbs. Crossbow-hand. Knife-hand. Maybe a leg-sword?

Perhaps it gains magical abilities that are only possible by replacing body parts with magical devices. Some sort of magical sensor instead of an eye? I think this has potential.

Bah. Who need a sword leg. Nunckuku Eye Balls is where its at!

Admiral Squish
2009-07-14, 02:59 AM
But you gotta exercise caution. Otherwise, we end up with things like this:
http://www.naughty.com/news/Rose_McGowan/Leg_Fetish/images/Rose_McGowan_Grindhouse_Photo.jpg

Or maybe this?
http://images.absoluteanime.com/cyborg_009/cyborg_004.jpg

And can't forget this.
http://www.freewebs.com/dragon155/pegasus-eye.jpg

Owrtho
2009-07-14, 03:26 AM
But you gotta exercise caution. Otherwise, we end up with things like this:
http://www.naughty.com/news/Rose_McGowan/Leg_Fetish/images/Rose_McGowan_Grindhouse_Photo.jpg

Or maybe this?
http://images.absoluteanime.com/cyborg_009/cyborg_004.jpg

And can't forget this.
http://www.freewebs.com/dragon155/pegasus-eye.jpg

I would think that would kinda be the point...

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2009-07-14, 03:34 AM
Well, that would certainly be cool. But then again, there is a power level to consider I don't think missiles are a good idea in any D&D setting, no matter how well it fits the class. And the millennium eye was totally cheap.