PDA

View Full Version : Jade Phoenix Mage Build

Mongoose87
2009-07-14, 12:43 AM
So, I posted earlier that I was building a level-25 character that had to be at least part Paladin, and I was thinking Argent Fist (Faiths of Eberron). However, I've become less keen on this, and am now looking at a Paladin/Sorcerer Gish. I'm thinking I want to use both the Abjurant Champion and Jade Phoenix Mage. Is this wise? Is the Crusader dip I'd take to get into Jade Phoenix a good choice? Is the second level of Paladin worth it for Divine Grace?

Mushroom Ninja
2009-07-14, 12:59 AM
Is the second level of Paladin worth it for Divine Grace?

Definitely. Divine Grace is the only real reason to get Paladin at all.

RTGoodman
2009-07-14, 01:08 AM
Definitely. Divine Grace is the only real reason to get Paladin at all.

Of course, it doesn't stack with the Crusader's ability to add Cha to Will saves, so you'd kinda lose out there. But yeah, the Paladin's version is much better, and 2 level is pretty much the standard Paladin dip anyway.

Mongoose87
2009-07-14, 01:13 AM
Of course, it doesn't stack with the Crusader's ability to add Cha to Will saves, so you'd kinda lose out there. But yeah, the Paladin's version is much better, and 2 level is pretty much the standard Paladin dip anyway.
I'd only be taking one level of Crusader, anyways, so I wouldn't get that ability from it.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-14, 01:13 AM
I'd even go for the third level. Immunity to diseases and fear is no slouch. Diseases don't activate that much, but when one hits, it's potentially devastating without a Cleric around. However, one failed save vs. Fear, and it's over. Fear stacks, so it gets increasingly dangerous. Cowering, in particular, isn't a pretty thing.

I'd even say get FOUR levels and get Turn Undead attempts. That way, you can use Divine Feats and power up your attacks or raise your AC.

Since you'll probably get all 10 levels of Jade Phoenix plus the five levels of Abjurant Champion, and probably fight without armor, that means you get roughly 10 more levels to work around the build. With 4 levels of Paladin, you can get 4 levels in Sorcerer and 2 levels in Crusader and get it working (or, as I assume you will: you'll use the Abjurant Champion's progression to get more Sorcerer levels, and at least the 2nd level pre-req for Jade Phoenix Mage.

Just remember to work it out so you can get the useful levels prepared already for accessing the useful maneuvers that a Crusader gets, before you become restricted to just Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit (like, say...White Raven Tactics)

Saph
2009-07-14, 01:14 AM
Yep, it'll work. Something like Pal 2/Cru 2/Sorc 2/Abj. Champ 4/JPM 10 in whatever order you like. Maybe Pal 2/Cru 1/Sorc 3/JPM/Abj.Champ if you want slightly faster spellcasting at the cost of lower BAB and HP.

- Saph

Mongoose87
2009-07-14, 01:16 AM
I'd even say get FOUR levels and get Turn Undead attempts. That way, you can use Divine Feats and power up your attacks or raise your AC.

Just remember to work it out so you can get the useful levels prepared already for accessing the useful maneuvers that a Crusader gets, before you become restricted to just Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit (like, say...White Raven Tactics)

I, actually, can turn undead as a 20th level Cleric, already, thanks to an in-game event.

What's this about being restricted to Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit?

Yep, it'll work. Something like Pal 2/Cru 2/Sorc 2/Abj. Champ 4/JPM 10 in whatever order you like. Maybe Pal 2/Cru 1/Sorc 3/JPM/Abj.Champ if you want slightly faster spellcasting at the cost of lower BAB and HP.

- Saph

I think I'd prefer the casting; we've already got an incredibly powerful melee fighter in the group, and a Monk with homebrewed gear that'd make your eyes bug out.

Saph
2009-07-14, 01:23 AM
I, actually, can turn undead as a 20th level Cleric, already, thanks to an in-game event.

What's this about being restricted to Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit?

Jade Phoenix Mages only get to choose their extra maneuvers and stances from the Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit schools. So if you want anything from White Raven and Stone Dragon, you'll either have to spend feats on Martial Study or grab it early with your single Crusader level.

- Saph

Mongoose87
2009-07-14, 01:28 AM
Alright, thanks for the helps, guys.

quick_comment
2009-07-14, 07:29 AM
I would go with Sorcerer 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Unarmed Swordsage 3/JPM 10/Any Prc you qualify for 2

Then you get ascetic mage, divine metamagic (with your event turning) and go to town.

If you really want paladin, go Paladin 2/Unarmed Swordsage 1 instead of Swordsage 3.

This gets you charisma to AC and Saves. With slippers of battledancing you can get charisma to attack and damage.

Your caster level is equal to your BAB, so make sure you get a rune of divine power. For 224,000 you can get an item of continuous divine power, which is a significant fraction of a level 25 characters wealth, but well worth it for you.