PDA

View Full Version : Pinching other ideas to lure new clients.

king.com
2009-07-14, 01:57 AM
Odd title i know but hear me out. I've been thinking of trying to hook in a couple of people into ye olde RPG world. The problem is i cant think of a campaign that would be simple yet entertaining enough for them to go with enough of a flair.

Then it struck me oddly enough. They play computer games. So what if i translated one of these games into the table top format. The risk is, that if they see it as simply a dull version of the same, they wont bite.

However, with the flexibility of an actually human controlling things, i can allow them to do things they wanted to do but couldnt before.

Any thoughts or am i completely losing people from bad ideaness?

Galileo
2009-07-14, 02:11 AM
Pfft. Too complicated. Just ducttape them to a chair and a pair of d20s and not let em go till they're enjoying themselves, dammit!

TheCountAlucard
2009-07-14, 02:16 AM
However, with the flexibility of an actually human controlling things, I can allow them to do things they wanted to do but couldnt before.One of the big reasons I like TRPGs. :smallcool:

Any thoughts or am i completely losing people from bad ideaness?Like you pointed out, stealing wholesale probably won't go over very well. I find it works, though, to pinch bits and pieces from a variety of things until I have crudely stitched together something so gruesome that it's perfect. :smalltongue:

Weirdlet
2009-07-14, 02:18 AM
Dude- having just replayed Jade Empire and wished like mad to be able to just go off and explore the place, I say rock on and steal from the best. Ask them (or observe from what they play) what worlds they'd love to explore further- what places do they wish they could linger and find more about, what factions do they wish they could be a part of or characters would they like to make aside from the usual videogame protagonist. See what you can build out of that.

Kylarra
2009-07-14, 02:31 AM
While direct conversions may or may not work out well, stealing settings to get them interested can be useful to get started.

Twilight Jack
2009-07-14, 03:27 AM
I used the notion (if not the setting) of Morrowwind and Oblivion to lure my fiance into D&D. She's not looked back.

Radar
2009-07-14, 05:07 AM
Start with one or a few one-shot adventures that have a well defined goal, yet allow a lot of creativity on the way there. It's important IMO to nudge the players to go outside the cRPG box.

For example make them tax collectors - they know where to go, yet it has loads of potential for creative thinking (because most tax payers will try to cheat them in every possible way or simply bribe them). Theoretically there would be more social encounters, but you can throw a bar fight or a band of thugs here and there.

Other idea would be to make them bust someone out of prison - by breaking/sneaking/bluffing in. Although it would probably be a bit harder for the players as heavy planning is necessary - not optional like in the first example.