PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sudden Mastery

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-14, 02:53 AM
Sudden Mastery is a spell I came across glancing through Dragon Annual #5. It is a 4th-level spell unique to a class called the Herald, granting the caster a +20 competence bonus to a single skill of his choice for 10 minutes/level.

While I don't expect to see Heralds being played in any of the groups I am involved with, this doesn't prevent the spell from being exploited by the Artificer.

Am I way late on the +20 to a skill boat? Is there another spell that does this?

obnoxious
sig

Myrmex
2009-07-14, 02:58 AM
There's a bard spell in the Spell Compendium, level 2 I think, called Inspiration or Inspirational Something-Or-Other. It grants huge boosts to a number of skills based on caster level. It's one of the few ways to make Truenaming work.

There are also some spells that give massive boosts to a single spell: Jump and Glibness can both give up to +30 on jump and bluff checks, respectively. Though you probably already knew about those. Chameleon, a second level egoist power, grants +10 to hide checks.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 08:14 AM
There's a bard spell in the Spell Compendium, level 2 I think, called Inspiration or Inspirational Something-Or-Other. It grants huge boosts to a number of skills based on caster level. It's one of the few ways to make Truenaming work.

It's called improvisation and gives you a pool of points equal to twice your CL when you cast it; you can spend up to 1/2 CL points at a time as an insight bonus on a single roll, so a bard with CL 10 gets +5 to any four rolls and so on.

Kris Strife
2009-07-14, 08:38 AM
Quinessential Paladin (I can't remember if it was 1 or 2) had a PRC that gave Paladin's a small selection of 5th level spells, one of which was called Perfection basically, for the duration, or maybe it was just once, every non damage roll the paladin made was given a +20 modifier.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-14, 08:46 AM
A level 2 Divine Spell, Divine Insight, gives +15 at level 10 to any one skill check.

Eldariel
2009-07-14, 10:55 AM
Four words: Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)

But yeah, that spell is awesome. Is Herald a divine caster? If so, I'd be looking at Archivists right now... And yeah, it's little-known since it's from the Dragon.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-07-14, 01:01 PM
Guidance of the Avatar
Divination
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 minute or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Your deity's chosen avatar imbues the subject with divine power. The creature gets a +20 competence bonus on a single skill check and must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

Makes the piddling +15 at level 10 granted by the other level 2 spell Divine Insight obsolete. Way to go, Wizards.

I mean, Divine Insight lasts hours/level, so there's something there, but still...

quick_comment
2009-07-14, 01:02 PM
Makes the piddling +15 at level 10 granted by the other level 2 spell Divine Insight obsolete. Way to go, Wizards.

I mean, Divine Insight lasts hours/level, so there's something there, but still...

Divine insight also eats up an immediate action to discharge.