PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Determining/Divining Item Value?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-14, 03:20 AM
First, a bit of background. Feel free to skip if you like, it might not even have any baring on the question.

I just finished a session in which, after cleaning a rather old temple the group came to a sarcophagus containing a mummy (not the moving sort, we'd already dealt with some of those) the possessions he was entombed with. Among the possessions was a particular item key to getting through area, as well some other valuable but non-vital items.

Heres the sticky point, my current character is a Paladin (I'm using the Prestige Paladin Variant, and as such have cleric-based casting). Being wary of the this sort of situation, both in-character & out I did the what I thought was the most sensible thing at the time.Cast Augury, looking to see what effect it things being taken would have on my alignment. I get a clear reading: "Woe".

So anyway, I've now got both in character & out of character reasons to want to see whoever this is, remain (relatively) undisturbed. In-character I know the gods as this DM runs them dislike tomb raidin' (It's the kind of topic I've seen some different opinions on, usually favoring "Bad".. but I wanted to be sure).

Out of character, I know what the kind of mechanical repercussions these situation can lead to.

So anyway, I ask the group if after using the item to open the dungeon doors if they'd allow it to be returned and the grave to be left otherwise. Thankfully, they agreed with no fuss.

One member was even kind of to offer up a mending spell to fix the damage I had caused to the sarcophagus in my less-than-gentle way of investigating/opening it.

At any rate, I was feeling very bad (OOC) as my presence was now costing them valuable treasure. In a group that is already woefully below WBL on the whole. The DM was making it very clear this item was magic, and very valuable even without a detect magic on it.

My character, was also thinking it was a bit awkward. Since people can be good, even without held to a code as strict as his. The situation had been dangerous, it was only natural they'd want to get the most return possible.

So, he asked how much it appraised for (we had no identifies readily available). He said ~1500gp, based on it's mundane properties.

I had my character offer to pay back the money from his own pocket at the first possible opportunity, as thanks for respecting his wishes... and the dead.

However I am not satisfied with that. The item was clearly worth more than that, possibly far more. I want a real amount to pay the group back. This leads to my question.

I need some reasonable method of ascertaining the value of an item without actually having it on-hand. I need something that can be done with 4th or 5th level cleric spells, preferably 4th level. I only have 4th level now, but 5th level spells are not out of the question before we get back to civilization at the rate we've been getting XP.

My initial thoughts, were to use plain old Divination. While that isn't a normal use for it. I'm thinking I might be able to ask for advice on the goal of: "I wish to make a promise to repay the group. How much should that promise be for?". The biggest problem is that it'd likely take my beyond the normal one week limit to complete promise. I don't know if this would muck with, since the actual event (making the promise) would happen soon after.

Any ideas on how I might do this without seemingly like I'm totally trying to cheese for a free ID would greatly appreciated . I know anything like this is subject to DM approval but I would like to have a reasonable proposal before bringing it up with him.

Saph
2009-07-14, 03:34 AM
The problem is that item value is largely determined by metagame considerations, so as far as I know there are no spells which directly inform you of it.

For buying and selling D&D typically uses skills, not spells, so let's go looking for the most appropriate skill for dealing with magic items. I'd say the obvious one would be Knowledge (Arcana). So ask if you can make a Knowledge (Arcana) check to work out magic item GP value, in the same way that an Appraise check gives you nonmagical GP value. As a DM I'd say that was completely reasonable.

So, anyone in the party got a high Know (Arcana) score? If not, Bardic Lore would probably do in a pinch. It'd have to be done on memory, obviously.

- Saph

Mr.Moron
2009-07-14, 03:43 AM
So, anyone in the party got a high Know (Arcana) score? If not, Bardic Lore would probably do in a pinch.

No bards. I have the skill, by modifier is far less than stellar (+5) We do have access to someone with a rather high Knowledge(Arcana)(~+18... I think) score, but he isn't strictly a PC. He is a backup character, the DM has us keep spares around should the unthinkable happen. The DM sometimes lets us use the resources of these backup characters however he wasn't around to actually see the item and my character wouldn't know that individual well enough to realize he could provide an analysis.

Sticking around for extended periods or backtracking isn't really an option either. The group has a goal they moving towards, that while not strictly time sensitive... is best not put off. So I can't get chummy with the knowledge guy, and then ask him to do it.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-14, 03:48 AM
Commune (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm) gives the option of a short phrase. Take that, ask "How much was the item that we found in X, upon the tomb of Y, worth?"

Mr.Moron
2009-07-14, 03:53 AM
Commune (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm) gives the option of a short phrase. Take that, ask "How much was the item that we found in X, upon the tomb of Y, worth?"

As I'm reading it, the short phrase option only applies when a one word answer would be misleading in the case of an otherwise "Yes/No" question. Since that can't be answered by a simple yes or no, it's disqualified to begin with.

I suppose I could ask was it worth more than X? Worth more than Y?

That'd let me narrow it down to a decent range. I guess that works well enough, but something a bit more precise would nice.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-14, 03:57 AM
I suppose I could ask was it worth more than X? Worth more than Y?

You get 1 question/caster level. Per casting of Commune. It shouldn't be any trouble to guess when you have NI questions.