PDA

View Full Version : Big-Friggin Spell Revision Project

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 04:42 AM
Like the title states, I have decided I am going to finally attempt it - I am going to do what so few people have the patience or virtue for and crack down and reveiw every spell to make spellcasting a little less.... ZOMGWTFHAXORZSUPRISEBUTTSECKSBBQ (To say it politely).

For a long time, people have complained about magic - "sniffle: Bad wizard time stop spammed and delayed fireballz mez... wha!", most of these complaints are unfounded and caused by dm ignorance/lazyness/player abuse. The usual stuff, of course. But, then again their are just those few spells out their that just scream 'spank me till reality moo's and comes home!'

For this task, I am going to need a tad bit of help however. I am a bit of a wizard lover - thus I have a slightly 'veiled' veiw of some spells others may find broken. So I ask of my fellow playgrounders this;

Find all -player's handbook/core- 3.5 spells you think are broken (either to overpowered OR to underpowered). Explain why, please, you beleive those spells are to strong or weak, and a possible suggestion to fix them.

You can all post the same spells repeatably/individually - I want to see what everyones personal opinion of as many spells as possible. So if someone above you posted up a spell you wanted to rate/say was overpowered, but for different reasons? Please, re-post it and explain your veiws.

Keep in mind - I only care about -spells-; Not metamagic feats, prestige classes, or magical items, etc. So try to avoid bringing them up if possible.

One idea I am keeping in mind is reverting magic to a Mana system simular to the psion's power point usage and giving all arcane spell's Augment abilities. I do not see why not - I found the system for psionic's to be interesting (Despite some things [-cough-thrallmind-cough-] being ungodly broken).

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 05:29 AM
Well, some pressing candidates for alteration are the 15-minute workday/guaranteed escape selection - Contingency, Rope Trick, Teleport, Greater Teleport and Word of Recall, for example. They are problematic simply because they give players more control than they should have over the flow of an adventure.

These can make most proactive stories stupidly easy, no matter how badly you play. Which would be fine, but wizards can also shut down most reactive stories as well.

Of course, you could homebrew counter-teleportation spells, and the same goes for counter-contingency spells. It might be better to tackle the problem at its source, however.

Zaggab
2009-07-14, 05:53 AM
I dislike save-or-die (finger of death, slay living etc.) and save-or-practically die spells (sleep, hold monster etc.) because I think they are anticlimatic and completely bypasses normal combat mechanics (though I know that not everyone has that opinion, and someone will probably defend them, but anyway).

I also dislike spells that trivializes certain aspects of adventure, like the aforemention get-anywhere, escape anything spells. In my campaign, teleport and greater teleport has a 10-minute casting time, and requires the caster to have set up special "anchors" to be able to teleport anywhere (max 1 anchor/caster level). So no instantly travelling to a place you've never been before.

I also dislike spells like comprehend languages and tounges, as they tend to ruin things very quickly.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 06:52 AM
Hmm - my attempt to fix the teleport problem a little.

http://www.horrortalk.com/reviews/TheFly/fly_1.jpg
God I wanted to add some kinda mutation chance on mishaps... But alas, I am not "THAT" evil.

Step 1: Reduced range of teleport, increased off-target/simular place/mishap chances, increased mishap damage from 1d10 to 2d6.

Step 2: Made Greater Teleport more like the original teleport spell. But it still has a small chance of mishap.

Step 3: Made the original "Greater Teleport" into Major Teleport, a 9th level conjuration spell.

Teleport
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Travel 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal and touch
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination, which may be as distant as 50 miles per caster level. Interplanar travel is not possible. You can bring along objects as long as their weight does not exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent (see below) per three caster levels. Two small creatures count as one Medium creature, two Tiny creatures count as one Small creature, a Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you. As with all spells where the range is personal and the target is you, you need not make a saving throw, nor is spell resistance applicable to you. Only objects held or in use (attended) by another person receive saving throws and spell resistance.

You must have visited the destination in person or at least veiwed it enough times to become intimiately knowledgable about that location. The clearer your mental image, the more likely the teleportation works. Areas of strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible.

To see how well the teleportation works, roll d% and consult the Teleport table. Refer to the following information for definitions of the terms on the table.

Familiarity
“Very familiar” is a place where you have been very often and where you feel at home. “Studied carefully” is a place you know well, either because you can currently see it, you’ve been there often, or you have used other means (such as scrying) to study the place for at least one hour. “Seen casually” is a place that you have seen more than once but with which you are not very familiar. “Viewed once” is a place that you have seen once, possibly using magic.

“False destination” is a place that does not truly exist or if you are teleporting to an otherwise familiar location that no longer exists as such or has been so completely altered as to no longer be familiar to you. When traveling to a false destination, roll 1d20+80 to obtain results on the table, rather than rolling d%, since there is no real destination for you to hope to arrive at or even be off target from.

On Target
You appear where you want to be.

Off Target
You appear safely a random distance away from the destination in a random direction. Distance off target is 1d10x1d10% of the distance that was to be traveled. The direction off target is determined randomly

Similar Area
You wind up in an area that’s visually or thematically similar to the target area, but not exactly. This can lead you to vastly different areas within the range of the teleport spell. Generally, you appear in the closest similar place within range. If no such area exists within the spell’s range, the spell simply fails instead.

Mishap
You and anyone else teleporting with you have gotten “scrambled.” You each take 2d6 points of damage, and you reroll on the chart to see where you wind up. For these rerolls, roll 1d20+80. Each time “Mishap” comes up, the characters take more damage and must reroll.

{table=head]Familiarity|On Target|Off Target|Similar Area|Mishap

Very familiar|
01-93|
94-99|
100|
--|

Studied carefully|
01-89|
90-95|
96-98|
99-100|

Seen casually|
01-85|
86-91|
92-96|
97-100|

Veiwed once|
01-81|
82-87|
88-94|
95-100|

False destination|
(1d20+80)|
--|
81-92|
93-100|[/table]

Teleport, Greater
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 7

This spell functions like teleport, except as follows. This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination which may be as distant as 100 miles per caster level. Interplanar travel is still not possible. Use the following chart to determine how well the teleportation works.

{table=head]Familiarity|On Target|Off Target|Similar Area|Mishap

Very familiar|
01-98|
99|
100|
--|

Studied carefully|
01-95|
96-97|
98-99|
100|

Seen casually|
01-92|
93-95|
96-98|
99-100|

Veiwed once|
01-89|
90-93|
94-96|
97-100|

False destination|
(1d20+80)|
--|
81-94|
95-100|[/table]

Teleport, Major
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Travel 9
Casting Time: 1 full round action

This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit and there is no chance you arrive off target. In addition, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting. If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location. Interplanar travel is not possible.

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 07:22 AM
Utility magic is really a 'needs work' aspect of the game, so you might want to have a look at that.

In essence, good ideas for improving utility magic would include:

Longer casting times Subtler but more variable effects The option to bind the spell into a 'charm' or scroll, usable by anyone else, and either as metamagic or an inbuilt option. Concentration requirements Removal of absolutes.

This makes utility magic more useful to a party, and less effective at shutting down skills.

Some other spells in need of work:

Freedom of Movement All [energy] Immunity spells Death Ward Spell Turning

These are all problematic simply because they are absolute "The recipient is unaffected by X, Y or Z" spells which grant benefits which should only be granted to creatures for which the hazards these spells defend against simply make no sense (so fire elementals, and only fire elementals, should have fire immunity).

Then there is the polymorph tree. A start is to simply note that you cannot gain any spellcasting abilities or equipment, no matter how they are described in the monster entry.

Vorpal word
2009-07-14, 07:23 AM
Nice rework of teleport, it seems logical to have a bunch of these.

Of course the major ones to deal with will be polymorph, shapechange, etc. If you divide them into several spells, don't make each one for different forms like Pathfinder; I find it makes them less realistic. (ie. You can turn me into a dragon but not a frog?!)

circle of death seems terrible; by the time you get it, you aren't fighting anything that it could affect unless you go up against an army of NPCs. I'd probably raise the 9 HD limit to something like 15 HD. I mean, sleep does pretty much the same thing and it's a 1st level spell. If necessary, maybe make circle of death 7th level, but make it more powerful.

And along the same lines, sleep and deep slumber might need to have their hp caps raised too.

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 07:27 AM
When I looked at Circle of Death and Finger of Death, I changed them to a small hitpoint cap and a specific anti-resurrection effect for anyone killed. You could always try that.

Oh yeah, and I think disintegrate deserves a bigger brother. Although disintegrate may be on the 'needs work' pile as it stands.

Chokuto
2009-07-14, 07:43 AM
I'll put up some really underpowered or needs to be cut spells....

Virtue... I know, a Orison for clerics, but seriously? who uses this spell??

Bane... Another Cleric one -1 on attack rolls and saves against fear? Really? Doom is the same level and is -2 on attack, damage, saves, and checks... Why would anything cast Bane??

More to come...

Vorpal word
2009-07-14, 07:47 AM
Also, warp wood and wood shape should probably be fused into a single spell. My playing group ran into them only once during our entire campaign setting, and they're rarely used even without being split in two. One option is making a second, higher-level spell which could affect objects of larger than Small size, or within a longer range.

Roc Ness
2009-07-14, 07:49 AM
Gilbness? :smallconfused:

This is one of those Player-Creativity ones, like them illusions. I just thought it may lead lowering a bit.

Didn't somebody have a sig that said:

You cast Gilbness
You tell the BBEG that he is a Waffle
BBEG: I want syrup. NOW

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 07:51 AM
Subtler but more variable effects

I agree with most of your points, but I'm not sure where you're going with this one--it's hard to have a more subtle teleport, for instance, or a more variable magic mouth. Are you talking about variable as in teleport mishap chance, or something else?

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 07:52 AM
http://www.eroronin.com/e107_files/public/1234283364_1_FT0_necromancy.jpg

Notes: Made circle of death do damage - basicly a higher level negitive energy, wider-spread 'fireball' in a sense now that also heals undead. Perfect for any zombie invasion force!

Circle of Death
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Living creatures within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

A circle of death attempts to snuff out the life force of living creatures, causing them tremendous pain and suffering.

This spell deals 1d6 negitive energy damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to all living creatures caught in the area of effect. Undead in the area of effect are healed for that amount of damage instead. If a living creature receives enough damage from this spell to put it below 0 hit points, and fails it fortitude save, it automatically dies and its body crumbles to dust. Creatures killed by this spell cannot be raised by any means except for a Resurrection spell or greater.

Material Component
The powder of a crushed black pearl with a minimum value of 500 gp.

Notes: Made fingure of death require a melee touch attack in addition to allowing a saving throw for partial and being effected by spell resistance. I figured forcing the caster into melee range and giving the creature -3- ways of resisting this 1-hit-ko spell was the little bit of balance it needed. Plus - says fingure of death... why did it have close range before? Did you flip them the bird to kill them?...

Finger of Death
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Drd 8 Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature

You can slay any one living creature you touch. You must make a successful melee touch attack against the target. The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 10d6). The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw. If a living creature receives enough damage from this spell to put it below 0 hit points or fails it fortitude save, it automatically dies and its body crumbles to dust. Creatures killed by this spell cannot be raised by any means except for a Resurrection spell or greater.

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 08:10 AM
I agree with most of your points, but I'm not sure where you're going with this one--it's hard to have a more subtle teleport, for instance, or a more variable magic mouth. Are you talking about variable as in teleport mishap chance, or something else?

A few spells are probably exempt, but a lot of low-level, flexible spells which reward creativity would be a nice addition to the game, and would be a big improvement on the current suite of:

Silence (cut it down to mute, with a save?) Find Traps (OK, but too specific. Should be combined into a more general spell) Knock (see Find Traps - maybe a 'machine empathy' spell?) Invisibility (not broken, but I'd like to see a few changes to this one) Greater Invisibility (actually not that subtle at all. Not broken, but I don't like it) Disguise Self Magic Mouth and Tenser's Floating Disc - useful, but not good enough Rope Trick (as if flow control wasn't bad enough...)

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 08:24 AM
Notes: Buffed bane and bless. I added a 'polar opposite' of Doom, an Inspire spell to counter it. Also, made Doom properly an Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-affecting] spell - necromancy does not mess with peoples minds. Wrong school wotc, shame on you.

Bane
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Range: 50 ft.
Area: All enemies within 50 ft.
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates

Bane fills your enemies with fear and doubt. Each affected creature takes a -1 penalty on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls.

Bane counters and dispels bless.

Bless
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Range: 50 ft.
Area: The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Bless fills your allies with courage and resolve. Each affected ally gains a +1 bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Bless counters and dispels bane.

Doom
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Fear, Mind-Affecting]

This spell fills a single subject with a feeling of horrible dread that causes it to become shaken. A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Doom counters and dispels Inspire.

Inspire

This spell fills a single subject with a powerful feeling of empowerment, giving it a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Inspire counters and dispels doom.

Maerok
2009-07-14, 08:27 AM

God I wanted to add some kinda mutation chance on mishaps... But alas, I am not "THAT" evil.

Make a Half-Wall template. Remove Curse or something at least as powerful as the teleport spell in order to sort things out for the misguided teleporter. :smallbiggrin:

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 08:34 AM
Gilbness? :smallconfused:

Note: That spell was so broken it made me want to cry. -fixes and NEEEEERFS with a NERF BAT-

Glibness
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1
Components: S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)

Your speech becomes fluent and more believable. You gain a +2 insight bonus on Bluff checks made to convince another of the truth of your words. This bonus doesn’t apply to other uses of the Bluff skill such as feinting in combat, creating a diversion to hide, or communicating a hidden message via innuendo.

If a magical effect is used against you that would detect your lies or force you to speak the truth the user of the effect must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 10 + your caster level + your charisma modifier to succeed. Failure means the effect does not detect your lies or force you to speak only the truth.

Surrealistik
2009-07-14, 08:54 AM
Immunity buffs should feature an opposed caster level check that includes spell level in the roll/DC to retain effectiveness versus an individual exposure when their bearer is subject to hostile magic they protect against (death ward vs finger of death, FoM vs Grease, etc...). Failure means they do not protect against that particular exposure (though they can shield the bearer from others).

Eldan
2009-07-14, 09:03 AM
I usually don't care much about high-level spells that completely break reality and/or the wizard class. What annoys me are low-level utility spells that make other classes unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, the wizard needs something to do other than fighting, especially in my campaigns, where there's usually little to no combat.
However, one example of what I dislike:
Knock. Opens every lock. Why do you need locksmiths or rogues anymore? I'd suggest limiting that spell to automatically dispelling arcane lock and maybe hold portal and opening locks up to a certain complexity, such as DC20.
There are others like it, I'll go dig throug the lists later.

Surrealistik
2009-07-14, 09:07 AM
Knock (and like spells) should at most feature a caster level check opposed to the DC of the object they are trying to manipulate.

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 09:09 AM
Immunity buffs should feature an opposed caster level check that includes spell level in the roll/DC to retain effectiveness versus an individual exposure when their bearer is subject to hostile magic they protect against (death ward vs finger of death, FoM vs Grease, etc...). Failure means they do not protect against that particular exposure (though they can shield the bearer from others).

They should generally take the form of a large save/check bonus and possibly a secondary effect (like 'does not take any damage on a failed save' for Death Ward). There are a few reasons for it - among them things like Druids curb-stomping the god of venom, and monks slaughtering the god of disease. It also means that a FoM wizard (however they achieve this) is still going to get grappled by anything that happens to be good at grappling.

Raising Dimension Door to a 2-round casting time could also help cut down on wizard mobility. In particular, they won't be able to cast it to easily escape from any threatening situation.

Feather Fall should probably prevent a limited amount of damage, just so monks have one less reason to cry themselves to sleep at night.

Jogi
2009-07-14, 09:25 AM
You're attempting something big. May I suggest that you do so in alphabetical order? Should make the work easier to organize.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 09:54 AM
Feather Fall should probably prevent a limited amount of damage, just so monks have one less reason to cry themselves to sleep at night.

In this particular case, it should probably be the other way around--Slow Fall could easily negate all damage to start with instead of scaling slowly, since a wall is required anyway, and feather fall could remain the same. As your comment shows, there's nothing wrong with the spell (which is what the revision is addressing, problem spells) except that there's a class ability that does it worse.

Surrealistik
2009-07-14, 10:09 AM
They should generally take the form of a large save/check bonus and possibly a secondary effect (like 'does not take any damage on a failed save' for Death Ward). There are a few reasons for it - among them things like Druids curb-stomping the god of venom, and monks slaughtering the god of disease. It also means that a FoM wizard (however they achieve this) is still going to get grappled by anything that happens to be good at grappling.

I think caster level checks should be involved in some form. It's not right that a caster half the level of another is able to amass such huge resistance to the latter's spells with a singular casting.

Second, "immunity" spells if we go this route should permit a save against spells they protect against even when one is normally not permitted, with possible exceptions (say in the case of a deity).

lesser_minion
2009-07-14, 10:16 AM
I think caster level checks should be involved in some form. It's not right that a caster half the level of another is able to amass such huge resistance to the latter's spells with a singular casting.

Second, "immunity" spells if we go this route should permit a save against spells they protect against even when one is normally not permitted, with possible exceptions (say in the case of a deity).

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there, actually. The point is that an immunity buff should not make a character immune to an attack used by a much more powerful being - or, alternatively, that any tactic should be usable even at high levels rather than being shut down by one or two spells.

Essentially, there is a difference between Death Ward being a very good idea and Death Ward shgutting down a whole selection of much higher level death attacks.

Lysander
2009-07-14, 10:23 AM
One major change I think could help certain spells is allowing multiple types of saving throws.

For example Finger of Death. You point at a creature and zap, it makes a fortitude throw or dies. But why couldn't a fast character move out of the way of your finger?

I'd give many spells two different saving throws, but a character can only choose and attempt one kind of throw when a spell is cast at them. Each throw could have different attributes, for example a the reflex throw DC for Finger of Death might be higher than the fortitude DC, but if successful would completely avoid all damage. Some spells would still only have one kind of throw.

That would add an interesting tactical element to the game. A powerful spell is coming your way. Do you gamble on the more difficult throw to avoid all harm, or accept taking some damage and go with the easier throw?

Telonius
2009-07-14, 10:37 AM
Problematic spells, for me, generally fall into three groups. First group are spells that make other classes obsolete. Basically they step on other people's toes. Second group are spells that aren't in themselves awesome, but allow for brokenness in combination with others. Third group are spells that are a little bit too powerful for their level - they get too much damage, don't have saves, are not balanced for some reason, etc.

Group 1
Divine Power
Wind Wall
Knock
Detect Secret Doors
The Polymorph school

Group 2
Time Stop
Contingency
Celerity

Group 3
Shivering Touch
Orb spells
Ray of Stupidity

A fourth group is not as problematic, given a decent DM, but as written can lead to abuse due to vague wording. Several Divination spells fall into this category (Augury, Divination, Foresight, Commune, Legend Lore, Contact Other Plane). For some of these spells, a DM who hasn't prepared for players to use these spells can inadvertently spill important information about things that the players aren't supposed to know yet. For others, the meaning can be stretched to allow players additional information or defenses that they really shouldn't be able to have.

EDIT: And, a fifth group - the MAD group. Not multiple ability, I mean Mutually Assured Destruction. The spells that players don't want to use because the DM will use them against them. The spells the DM doesn't want to use because the players will use it against him. However you look at it, these spells result in No Fun.
- Dispel Magic. The mechanics are godawful. At higher levels, I have not found anything that slows down a game as much as a single Dispel Magic spell. Not even a pizza break.
- Gate. Easily abusable on all levels.
- Disjunction. Scary, dangerous, able to destroy world-threatening MacGuffins in a single doom-laden blast. This "Wizard's Suitcase Nuke" should never have been anything but an Epic spell.

Iferus
2009-07-14, 11:15 AM
http://www.eroronin.com/e107_files/public/1234283364_1_FT0_necromancy.jpg

Notes: Made circle of death do damage - basicly a higher level negitive energy, wider-spread 'fireball' in a sense now that also heals undead. Perfect for any zombie invasion force!

Circle of Death
Necromancy [Death]
Area: Living creatures within a 40-ft.-radius burst

A circle of death attempts to snuff out the life force of living creatures, causing them tremendous pain and suffering.

This spell deals 1d6 damage per caster level (maximum 20d4) to all living creatures caught in the area of effect. Undead in the area of effect are healed for that amount of damage instead. If a living creature receives enough damage from this spell to put it below 0 hit points, and fails it fortitude save, it automatically dies and its body crumbles to dust. Creatures killed by this spell cannot be raised by any means except for a Resurrection spell or greater.

Material Component
The powder of a crushed black pearl with a minimum value of 500 gp.

Shouldn't this be negative energy, instead of untyped damage? And I suppose the maximum is 20d6....

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 09:01 PM
Fixed that. :x

erikun
2009-07-14, 09:41 PM
Let's see here....

Conjuration spells that duplicate (or outperform) Evocation spells. I'm looking at you, Orb line.
Transformation spells that duplicate everything. Mainly a problem with Polymorph, though.
Spells that render skills redundant. Hold Portal, Disguise Self, and Jump are okay because they just add bonuses to skills. Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, and Knock are not so much. Spells that detect obviously magical sources (Detect Magic, Detect Undead) are okay.

Recommendations? Limit Comprehend Languages to one language per casting, turn Detect Secret Doors into a skill bonus, and... I'm not sure about knock. I liked the idea of a psionic version giving you effective max skill ranks for the duration of the power. (So using Psionic Knock would give you class level + 3 skill points in Open Lock while it is active.)

Jane_Smith
2009-07-14, 10:45 PM
-whacks- ORB IS NOT CORE D= I am not fixing or dealing with anything off source - That is a futile to even "TRY" to accomplish due to the sheer number of off-source material.

As for knock - Maybe 1 casting only opens 1 lock/seal/etc/etc/etc per casting, with a DC of 20 or less; or lets you gain a bonus to Strength checks equal to your caster level (max +10 or so) to break the door/chest/seal.

Could make a higher level version that unlocks 1 lock/seal/etc per casting no matter its DC, allows a higher bonus to strength checks to break down doors/etc (like +20 max), and maybe even makes the doorway act like projectiles/sharpnel to everything in a cone from the other side if successful broken? I think I have seen something like that somewhere, I will have to research.

Surrealistik
2009-07-14, 10:50 PM
-whacks- ORB IS NOT CORE D= I am not fixing or dealing with anything off source - That is a futile to even "TRY" to accomplish due to the sheer number of off-source material.

As for knock - Maybe 1 casting only opens 1 lock/seal/etc/etc/etc per casting, with a DC of 20 or less; or lets you gain a bonus to Strength checks equal to your caster level (max +10 or so) to break the door/chest/seal.

Could make a higher level version that unlocks 1 lock/seal/etc per casting no matter its DC, allows a higher bonus to strength checks to break down doors/etc (like +20 max), and maybe even makes the doorway act like projectiles/sharpnel to everything in a cone from the other side if successful broken? I think I have seen something like that somewhere, I will have to research.

Caster level check works: CL + Caster Attribute Bonus? + 1d20 vs Lock DC

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-14, 10:52 PM

Hey, I'm going to be embarking on such a project myself soon--it's only 2,856 spells, after all. :smallwink: Maybe if you can nail down all the core problem spells I can start with the non-core and see where I get.

Gnomo
2009-07-14, 11:44 PM
This is what I think of some spells, the changes are underlined:

Mind Blank
Abjuration
Level: Protection 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour per caster level.
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

The subject gains protection from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell grants a bonus to will saving throws equal to half the caster level (rounded down) against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. If a spell with this characteristics doesn't allow a saving throw the subject is entitled to make one will saving throw to negate its effect. Mind blank even grants protection against limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but if the creature succeed a will saving throw simply isn’t detected.

Freedom of Movement
Abjuration
Level: Brd 4, Clr 4, Drd 4, Luck 4, Rgr 4
Components: V, S, M, DF
Range: Personal or touch
Target: You or creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject gains a bonus on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt equal to half the caster level (rounded down), as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin. Under the effect of this spell another creature do not automatically win any opposed grapple check, regardless of its size.

The spell also allows the subject to move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The freedom of movement spell does not, however, allow water breathing.

Material Component: A leather thong, bound around the arm or a similar appendage.

Death Ward
Necromancy
Level: Clr 4, Death 4, Drd 5, Pal 4
Target: Living creature touched

The subject gain a bonus on fortitude saving throws equal to half the caster level (rounded down) against all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects. If such an effect doesn't allow a saving throw the subject of this spell is entitled to make a fortitude saving throw to negate the effect.

This spell doesn’t remove negative levels that the subject has already gained, nor does it affect the saving throw necessary 24 hours after gaining a negative level.

Death ward does not protect against other sorts of attacks even if those attacks might be lethal.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-15, 12:04 AM
Very nice gnomo!

Taking some above-stated advice ; i am working on all spells from A to Z. Beats working on them randomly. :P

On damage dealing spells you may notice I am reducing the damage dice amount or changing it, and adding bonuses. This is to increase the minimum damage of direct damage spells to make them a bit more useful. At least now if you roll a few 1's, you still do a little bit of damage.

Also, I made several spells require touch that originally required close-range. I plan on also making some spells from touch to close-range (Such as Animate Dead, Cure Wounds, and Inflict Wounds).

Other spells I have increased the casting time and lowered success chances, such as Augury (1 minute casting time to 10 minutes, 50%+1% caster level success chance instead of 70%+1% caster level chance), and so forth.

This is just practice mainly for now - tell me what you think and if I did decently or not. Keep in mind I changed more then just the stats of the spell effects; i also changed spell levels, who can learn them, etc. Keep an eye out on changes, even if their minute!

~~~~~~~~~~A~~~~~~~~~~

Acid Arrow
Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: One arrow of acid
Duration: 1 round + 1 round per three levels
Spell Resistance: No

A magical bolt of acid springs from your hand and speeds to its target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The arrow deals 1d6+2 points of acid damage with no splash damage. For every three caster levels (to a maximum of 18th), the acid, unless somehow neutralized, lasts for another round, dealing another 1d6 points of damage in that round.

Material Component
Powdered rhubarb leaf and a adder’s tooth.

Acid Fog
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Water 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Duration: 1 round/level

Acid fog creates a billowing mass of misty vapors similar to that produced by a solid fog spell. In addition to slowing creatures down and obscuring sight, this spell’s vapors are highly acidic. Each round on your turn, starting when you cast the spell, the fog deals 2d6 points of acid damage to each creature and object within it.

Arcane Material Component
A pinch of dried, powdered peas combined with a powdered adder's tooth.

Acid Splash
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Effect: One missile of acid

You fire a small orb of acid at the target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The orb deals 1d6 points of acid damage.

Aid
Level: Clr 2, Good 2, Luck 2

Aid grants the target a +2 morale bonus on saving throws, plus temporary hit points equal to 1d4+1 per two caster levels (to a maximum of 5d4+5 temporary hit points at caster level 10th).

Air Walk
Transmutation [Air]
Level: Air 4, Clr 4, Drd 4
Target: Creature (Gargantuan or smaller) touched

The subject can tread on air as if walking on solid ground. Moving upward is similar to walking up a hill. The maximum upward or downward angle possible is 45 degrees, at a rate equal to one-half the air walker’s normal speed.

A strong wind (21+ mph) can push the subject along or hold it back. At the end of its turn each round, the wind blows the air walker 5 feet for each 5 miles per hour of wind speed. The creature may be subject to additional penalties in exceptionally strong or turbulent winds, such as loss of control over movement or physical damage from being buffeted about.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the air walk spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.

You can cast air walk on a specially trained mount so it can be ridden through the air. You can train a mount to move with the aid of air walk (counts as a trick; see Handle Animal skill) with one week of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

Alarm
Abjuration
Level: Brd 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F/DF
Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on the area touched
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)

Alarm sounds a mental or audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it. A creature that speaks the password (determined by you at the time of casting) does not set off the alarm. You decide at the time of casting whether the alarm will be mental or audible.

Mental Alarm
A mental alarm alerts you (and only you) so long as you remain within 1 mile of the warded area. You note a single mental “ping” that awakens you from normal sleep but does not otherwise disturb concentration. A silence spell has no effect on a mental alarm.

Audible Alarm
An audible alarm produces the sound of a hand bell, and anyone within 60 feet of the warded area can hear it clearly. Reduce the distance by 10 feet for each interposing closed door and by 20 feet for each substantial interposing wall.

In quiet conditions, the ringing can be heard faintly as far as 180 feet away. The sound lasts for 1 round. Creatures within a silence spell cannot hear the ringing.

Ethereal or astral creatures do not trigger the alarm.

Arcane Focus
A tiny bell and a piece of very fine silver wire

Align Weapon
Transmutation [see text]
Target: Weapon touched or up to fifty projectiles (all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Align weapon makes a weapon good, evil, lawful, or chaotic, as you choose. A weapon that is aligned can bypass the damage reduction of certain creatures. This spell has no effect on a weapon that already has an alignment.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike.

When you make a weapon good, evil, lawful, or chaotic, align weapon is a good, evil, lawful, or chaotic spell, respectively.

Alter Self
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.

You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

If the new form is capable of speech, you can communicate normally. You retain any spellcasting ability you had in your original form, but the new form must be able to speak intelligibly (that is, speak a language) to use verbal components and must have limbs capable of fine manipulation to use somatic or material components.

You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming, and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement), natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal.

You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.

You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

Analyze Dweomer
Divination
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, F
Targets: One object or creature per caster level
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None or Will negates; see text

You discern all spells and magical properties present in a number of creatures or objects. Each round, you may examine a single creature or object that you can see as a free action. In the case of a magic item, you learn its functions, how to activate its functions (if appropriate), and how many charges are left (if it uses charges). In the case of an object or creature with active spells cast upon it, you learn each spell, its effect, and its caster level.

An attended object may attempt a Will save to resist this effect if its holder so desires. If the save succeeds, you learn nothing about the object except what you can discern by looking at it. An object that makes its save cannot be affected by any other analyze dweomer spells for 24 hours.

Analyze dweomer does not function when used on an artifact.

Focus
A tiny lens of ruby or sapphire set in a small golden loop. The gemstone must be worth at least 1,500 gp.

Animal Growth
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5, Rgr 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Targets: Up to one animal (Gargantuan or smaller) per two levels, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

A number of animals grow to twice their normal size and eight times their normal weight. This alteration changes each animal’s size category to the next largest, grants it a +8 size bonus to Strength and a +4 size bonus to Constitution (and thus an extra 2 hit points per HD), and imposes a -2 size penalty to Dexterity. The creature’s existing natural armor bonus increases by 2. The size change also affects the animal’s modifier to AC and attack rolls and its base damage. The animal’s space and reach change as appropriate to the new size, but its speed does not change.

The spell also grants each subject damage reduction 10/magic and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws. If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it— the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

All equipment worn or carried by an animal is similarly enlarged by the spell, though this change has no effect on the magical properties of any such equipment.

Any enlarged item that leaves the enlarged creature’s possession instantly returns to its normal size.

The spell gives no means of command or influence over the enlarged animals.

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

Animal Messenger
Level: Drd 2, Rgr 1
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: One Tiny animal touched
Duration: One day/level
Saving Throw: None; see text

You compel a Tiny animal to go to a spot you designate. The most common use for this spell is to get an animal to carry a message to your allies. The animal cannot be one tamed or trained by someone else, including such creatures as familiars and animal companions.

By touching the animal, it awaits your bidding. You can mentally impress on the animal a certain place well known to you or an obvious landmark. The directions must be simple, because the animal depends on your knowledge and can’t find a destination on its own. You can attach some small item or note to the messenger. The animal then goes to the designated location and waits there until the duration of the spell expires, whereupon it resumes its normal activities.

During this period of waiting, the messenger allows others to approach it and remove any scroll or token it carries. The intended recipient gains no special ability to communicate with the animal or read any attached message (if it’s written in a language he or she doesn’t know, for example).

Animal Shapes
Transmutation
Level: Animal 7, Drd 7
Targets: Up to one willing creature per level, all within 30 ft. of each other
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

You transform up to one willing creature per caster level into an animal of your choice; the spell has no effect on unwilling creatures. Use the alternate form special ability to determine each target’s new abilities. All creatures must take the same kind of animal form the caster picks. Recipients remain in the animal form until the spell expires or until you dismiss it for all recipients. In addition, an individual subject may choose to resume its normal form as a full-round action; doing so ends the spell for that subject alone. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to the subject’s HD or your caster level, whichever is lower, to a maximum of 20 HD at 20th level.

Animal Trance
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Drd 2, Rgr 1
Targets: Animals or magical beasts with Intelligence 1 or 2
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text

Your swaying motions and music (or singing, or chanting) compel animals and magical beasts to do nothing but watch you. Only a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 can be fascinated by this spell. Roll 2d6 to determine the total number of HD worth of creatures that you fascinate. The closest targets are selected first until no more targets within range can be affected.

A magical beast, a dire animal, or an animal trained to attack or guard is allowed a saving throw; an animal not trained to attack or guard is not.

Animate Dead
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 3, Death 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Targets: One or morse corpses

This spell turns the bones or bodies of dead creatures within range into undead skeletons or zombies that follow your spoken commands.

The undead can follow you, or they can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific kind of creature) entering the place. They remain animated until they are destroyed. A destroyed skeleton or zombie can’t be animated again.

Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. If the caster and the corpses to be animated are within a desecrated area, this limit is doubled.

The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created creatures fall under your control, and any excess undead from previous castings become uncontrolled. (You choose which creatures are released.) If you are a cleric, any undead you might command by virtue of your power to command or rebuke undead do not count toward this limit.

Skeletons
A skeleton can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton. The corpse must have bones. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.

Zombies
A zombie can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy.

Material Component
A black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp. The magic of the spell turns the gem into worthless, burned-out shell.

Animate Objects
Transmutation
Level: Brd 6, Chaos 6, Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Targets: One Small object per caster level; see text

You imbue inanimate objects with mobility and a semblance of life. Each such animated object then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate.

An animated object can be of any nonmagical material. You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per caster level. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four, a Huge object as eight, a Gargantuan object as sixteen, and a Colossal object as thirty-two. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

This spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.

Animate Plants
Transmutation
Level: Drd 6, Plant 6
Targets: One Large plant per three caster levels or all plants within range; see text
Duration: 1 round/level or 1 hour/level; see text

You imbue inanimate plants with mobility and a semblance of life. Each animated plant then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate as though it were an animated object of the appropriate size category. You may animate one Large or smaller plant, or an equivalent number of larger plants, per three caster levels. A Huge plant counts as two Large or smaller plants, a Gargantuan plant as four, and a Colossal plant as eight. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

Use the statistics for animated objects, except that plants smaller than Large usually don’t have hardness.

Animate plants cannot affect plant creatures, nor does it affect nonliving vegetable material.

Entangle
Alternatively, you may imbue all plants within range with a degree of mobility, which allows them to entwine around creatures in the area. This usage of the spell duplicates the effect of an entangle spell. Spell resistance does not keep creatures from being entangled. This effect lasts 1 hour per caster level.

Animate Rope
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Target: One ropelike object, length up to 50 ft. + 5 ft./level; see text

You can animate a nonliving ropelike object. The maximum length assumes a rope with a 1-inch diameter.

Reduce the maximum length by 50% for every additional inch of thickness, and increase it by 50% for each reduction of the rope’s diameter by half.

The possible commands are “coil” (form a neat, coiled stack), “coil and knot,” “loop,” “loop and knot,” “tie and knot,” and the opposites of all of the above (“uncoil,” and so forth). You can give one command each round as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

The rope can enwrap only a creature or an object within 1 foot of it—it does not snake outward—so it must be thrown near the intended target. Doing so requires a successful ranged touch attack roll (range increment 10 feet). A typical 1-inch-diameter hempen rope has 2 hit points, AC 10, and requires a DC 23 Strength check to burst it. The rope does not deal damage, but it can be used as a trip line or to cause a single opponent that fails a Reflex saving throw to become entangled. A creature capable of spellcasting that is bound by this spell must make a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. An entangled creature can slip free with a DC 20 Escape Artist check.

The rope itself and any knots tied in it are not magical.

This spell grants a +2 bonus on any Use Rope checks you make when using the transmuted rope.

The spell cannot animate objects carried or worn by a creature.

Antilife Shell
Abjuration
Level: Animal 6, Clr 6, Drd 6
Range: 10 ft.
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you

You bring into being a mobile, hemispherical energy field that prevents the entrance of most types of living creatures.

The effect hedges out animals, aberrations, dragons, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, oozes, plants, and vermin, but not constructs, elementals, outsiders, or undead.

This spell may be used only defensively, not aggressively. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier.

Antimagic Field
Abjuration
Level: Clr 8, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on the area touched
Spell Resistance: See text

An invisible barrier surrounds the aura or object touched and moves with it. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines.

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away. Time spent winked out counts normally against the duration of the conjuration that is maintaining the creature. If you cast antimagic field in an area occupied by a summoned creature that has spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the creature’s spell resistance to make it wink out. (The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)

A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that). The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned. These creatures’ spell-like or supernatural abilities, however, may be temporarily nullified by the field. Dispel magic does not remove the field, though Mage's Disjunction might.

Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other. Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.

A pinch of powdered cold iron

Antipathy
Level: Drd 9, Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: One location (up to a 25-ft. cube/level) or one object
Duration: 1 day/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will partial

You cause an object or location to repel either a specific kind of intelligent creature or creatures of a particular alignment, as defined by you. The kind of creature to be affected must be named specifically. A creature subtype is not specific enough. Likewise, the specific alignment to be repelled must be named.

Creatures of the designated kind or alignment feel an overpowering urge to leave the area or to avoid the affected item.

A compulsion forces them to abandon the area or item, shunning it and never willingly returning to it while the spell is in effect. A creature that makes a successful saving throw can stay in the area or touch the item but feels uncomfortable doing so. This distracting discomfort reduces the creature’s Dexterity score by 4 points.

Antipathy counters and dispels sympathy.

A lump of alum soaked in vinegar.

Antiplant Shell
Abjuration
Level: Drd 4

The antiplant shell spell creates an invisible, mobile barrier that keeps all creatures within the shell protected from attacks by plant creatures or animated plants. As with many abjuration spells, forcing the barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay strains and collapses the field.

Arcane Eye
Divination (Scrying)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Unlimited
Effect: Magical sensor

You create an invisible magical sensor that sends you visual information. You can create the arcane eye at any point you can see, but it can then travel outside your line of sight without hindrance. An arcane eye travels at 30 feet per round (300 feet per minute) if viewing an area ahead as a human would (primarily looking at the floor) or 10 feet per round (100 feet per minute) if examining the ceiling and walls as well as the floor ahead. It sees exactly as you would see if you were there.

The eye can travel in any direction as long as the spell lasts. Solid barriers block its passage, but it can pass through a hole or space as small as 1 inch in diameter. The eye can’t enter another plane of existence, even through a gate or similar magical portal.

You must concentrate to use an arcane eye. If you do not concentrate, the eye is inert until you again concentrate.

Material Component
A preserved bat eye

Arcane Lock
Abjuration
Target: The door, chest, or portal touched, up to 30 sq. ft./level in size
Duration: Permanent

An arcane lock spell cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it. You can freely pass your own arcane lock without affecting it; otherwise, a door or object secured with this spell can be opened only by breaking in or with a successful dispel magic or knock spell. Add 10 to the normal DC to break open a door or portal affected by this spell. A knock spell does not remove an arcane lock; it only suppresses the effect for 10 minutes.

Arcane Mark
Universal
Casting Time: 1 round.
Effect: One personal rune or mark, all of which must fit within 1 sq. ft.

This spell allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, which can consist of no more than six characters. The writing can be visible or invisible to everyone but yourself, but you can always see any arcane mark you create. An arcane mark spell enables you to etch the rune upon any substance without harm to the material upon which it is placed. If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible to the veiwer, though not necessarily understandable.

See invisibility, true seeing, a gem of seeing, or a robe of eyes likewise allows the user to see an invisible arcane mark. A read magic spell reveals the words, if any. The mark cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed by the caster or by an erase spell.

If an arcane mark is placed on a living being, normal wear gradually causes the effect to fade in about a month.

Arcane Sight
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

This spell makes your eyes glow blue and allows you to see magical auras within 120 feet of you. The effect is similar to that of a detect magic spell, but arcane sight does not require concentration and discerns aura location and power more quickly.

You know the location and power of all magical auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning level or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect magic spell. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + one-half caster level for a nonspell effect.)

If you concentrate on a specific creature within 120 feet of you as a standard action, you can determine whether it has any spellcasting or spell-like abilities, whether these are arcane or divine (spell-like abilities register as arcane), and the strength of the most powerful spell or spell-like ability the creature currently has available for use.

Arcane Sight, Greater
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 7

This spell functions like arcane sight, except that you automatically know which spells or magical effects are active upon any individual or object you see.

Greater arcane sight doesn’t let you identify magic items.

Astral Projection
Necromancy
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9, Travel 9
Casting Time: 30 minutes
Targets: You plus one additional willing creature touched per two caster levels
Duration: See text

By freeing your spirit from your physical body, this spell allows you to project an astral body onto another plane altogether.

You can bring the astral forms of other willing creatures with you, provided that these subjects are linked in a circle with you at the time of the casting. These fellow travelers are dependent upon you and must accompany you at all times. If something happens to you during the journey, your companions are stranded wherever you left them.

You project your astral self onto the Astral Plane, leaving your physical body behind on the Material Plane in a state of suspended animation. The spell projects an astral copy of you and all you wear or carry onto the Astral Plane. Since the Astral Plane touches upon other planes, you can travel astrally to any of these other planes as you will. To enter one, you leave the Astral Plane, forming a new physical body (and equipment) on the plane of existence you have chosen to enter.

While you are on the Astral Plane, your astral body is connected at all times to your physical body by a silvery cord. If the cord is broken, you are killed, astrally and physically. Luckily, very few things can destroy a silver cord. When a second body is formed on a different plane, the incorporeal silvery cord remains invisibly attached to the new body. If the second body or the astral form is slain, the cord simply returns to your body where it rests on the Material Plane, thereby reviving it from its state of suspended animation. Although astral projections are able to function on the Astral Plane, their actions affect only creatures existing on the Astral Plane; a physical body must be materialized on other planes.

You and your companions may travel through the Astral Plane indefinitely. Your bodies simply wait behind in a state of suspended animation until you choose to return your spirits to them. The spell lasts until you desire to end it, or until it is terminated by some outside means, such as dispel magic cast upon either the physical body or the astral form, the breaking of the silver cord, or the destruction of your body back on the Material Plane (which kills you).

Material Component
A jacinth worth at least 1,000 gp, plus a silver bar worth 5 gp for each person to be affected.

Atonement
Abjuration
Level: Clr 5, Drd 5
Components: V, S, M, F, DF, XP
Target: Creature touched

This spell removes the burden of evil acts or misdeeds from the subject. The creature seeking atonement must be truly repentant and desirous of setting right its misdeeds. If the atoning creature committed the act unwittingly or under some form of compulsion, atonement operates normally at no cost to you. However, in the case of a creature atoning for deliberate misdeeds and acts of a knowing and willful nature, you must intercede with your deity (requiring you to expend 500 XP) in order to expunge the subject’s burden. Many casters first assign a subject of this sort a quest (see geas/quest) or similar penance to determine whether the creature is truly contrite before casting the atonement spell on its behalf.

Atonement may be cast for one of several purposes, depending on the version selected.

Reverse Magical Alignment Change
If a creature has had its alignment magically changed, atonement returns its alignment to its original status at no cost in experience points.

Restore Class
A paladin who has lost her class features due to committing an act against their beleifs or codes may have her abilities restored to her by this spell.

Restore Cleric or Druid Spell Powers
A cleric or druid who has lost the ability to cast spells by incurring the anger of his or her deity may regain that ability by seeking atonement from another cleric of the same deity or another druid. If the transgression was intentional, the casting cleric loses 500 XP for his intercession. If the transgression was unintentional, he does not lose XP.

Redemption or Temptation
You may cast this spell upon a creature of an opposing alignment in order to offer it a chance to change its alignment to match yours. The prospective subject must be present for the entire casting process. Upon completion of the spell, the subject freely chooses whether it retains its original alignment or acquiesces to your offer and changes to your alignment. No duress, compulsion, or magical influence can force the subject to take advantage of the opportunity offered if it is unwilling to abandon its old alignment. This use of the spell does not work on outsiders or any creature incapable of changing its alignment naturally.

Though the spell description refers to evil acts, atonement can also be used on any creature that has performed acts against its alignment, whether those acts are evil, good, chaotic, or lawful.

Note: Normally, changing alignment is up to the player. This use of atonement simply offers a believable way for a character to change his or her alignment drastically, suddenly, and definitively.

Material Component
Burning incense.

Focus
In addition to your holy symbol or normal divine focus, you need a set of prayer beads (or other prayer device, such as a prayer wheel or prayer book) worth at least 500 gp.

XP Cost
When cast for the benefit of a creature whose guilt was the result of deliberate acts, the cost to you is 500 XP per casting (see above). The target of the atonement spell may take this cost upon himself instead of the caster.

Augury
Divination
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S, M, F

An augury can tell you whether a particular action will bring good or bad results for you in the immediate future.

The base chance for receiving a meaningful reply is 50% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 70%; this roll is made secretly. A question may be so straightforward that a successful result is automatic, or so vague as to have no chance of success. If the augury succeeds, you get one of four results:

Weal (if the action will probably bring good results).
Woe (for bad results).
Weal and woe (for both).
Nothing (for actions that don’t have especially good or bad results).
If the spell fails, you get the “nothing” result. A cleric who gets the “nothing” result has no way to tell whether it was the consequence of a failed or successful augury.

The augury can see into the future only about 24 hours, so anything that might happen after that does not affect the result. Thus, the result might not take into account the long-term consequences of a contemplated action. All auguries cast by the same person about the same topic use the same dice result as the first casting.

Material Component
Burning incense.

Focus
A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 5 gp value.

Awaken
Transmutation
Level: Drd 5
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 24 hours
Target: Animal or tree touched

You awaken a tree or animal to humanlike sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the animal’s current HD, or the HD the tree will have once awakened).

The awakened animal or tree is friendly toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a creature you awaken, although it serves you in specific tasks or endeavors if you communicate your desires to it.

An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6. An awakened plant gains the ability to move its limbs, roots, vines, creepers, and so forth, and it has senses similar to a human’s.

An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal). An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).

XP Cost
100 XP per the animal's current hit dice, or the HD the tree will have once awakened.

As for alter self - Honestly I do not see how its broken despite being a polymorph type spell. Only can turn into creatres whos hit dice are 5 or less, no Ex, Su, or Sp abilities of that creature.. and has to be within 1 size. Even if you turn into a large-sized ogre - Alter Self is a 2nd level spell, so consider it a buffed Enlarge Person you know? I have no clue on how to nerf it or make it more restained.

Surrealistik
2009-07-15, 11:59 AM
As for alter self - Honestly I do not see how its broken despite being a polymorph type spell. Only can turn into creatres whos hit dice are 5 or less, no Ex, Su, or Sp abilities of that creature.. and has to be within 1 size. Even if you turn into a large-sized ogre - Alter Self is a 2nd level spell, so consider it a buffed Enlarge Person you know? I have no clue on how to nerf it or make it more restained.

Are you serious? It's Broken with a capital B because with it, the user can potentially acquire ridiculous bonuses to his speed and AC, as well as additional means of travel, including, but not limited to flight. For a level 2 spell with a 10 minute/CL duration, that's insane.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-15, 12:27 PM
Ya... but it has to be the same TYPE as the caster. "You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form"

Meaning if your a humanoid wizard using Alter Self you have to asume the FORM of a humanoid. How broken is that?

Lets see - I cast it to become a Orc for +4 strength. hmm, medium-size, +4 strength, nothing much else.. acts like the 2nd level spell Bull's Strength nearly.

Ok, another humanoid form - Elf, for the +2 to Spot, Search and Listen, +2 Dex, -2 Con. Hmm... nope, nothing at all broken with that.

Lets try for a 3rd one shall we? Halfling. Small size, +2 dex, -2 str, +2 to a few skills. Nope, not broken.

Last try - lets go with something REALLY exotic like... one of those winged elves or raptorians - so what, you get a natural fly-speed of 50ish feet. When.... every single other raptorian or winged-elf can fly at level 1 (Well, raptorians "SORTOF" fly).

Im sorry, I still do not see the 'broken' level of this spell. You still have to be the same creature type in your new form - which is balancing to me because how many humanoid forms do you know have a natural hit dice of 5 or less?!

This spell does not even let you turn into an ogre for mad-strength, or a wolf for land speed, or etc... And humanoids are not known for their insane speeds (Or bonuses to AC/all the stuff you were mentioning as BROKENSAUCE).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-15, 12:33 PM
Im sorry, I still do not see the 'broken' level of this spell. You still have to be the same creature type in your new form - which is balancing to me because how many humanoid forms do you know have a natural hit dice of 5 or less?!

Lizardfolk. A 2 HD humanoid with +2 Con and +5 natural armor. That's the most commonly abused form for humanoids.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-15, 12:38 PM
Mage armor, a 1st level spell gives +4 armor class. Bear's Endurance, a 2nd level spell gives +4 con. Those 2 spells alone are stronger then that.

And so what? Thats not that broken, im sorry, but.. considering it does not change your base attack bonus, or your base saving throws, or your class hit dice? Its not like it makes you that much more combat worthy. Oh wow, i got +5 natural armor and +2 con and a bite attack with a 2nd level spell, when im a d4 hit dice caster with a poor base attack and poor fortitude saves...

I friggin -dare you- to go into melee combat in the form of a lizardfolk as a 3rd level, 3d4 hit dice wizard popping alter self on yourself. 30 minutes you probly wont even live to see the end of...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-15, 02:05 PM
I friggin -dare you- to go into melee combat in the form of a lizardfolk as a 3rd level, 3d4 hit dice wizard popping alter self on yourself. 30 minutes you probly wont even live to see the end of...

3rd level Wizard.

Dex 15
Mage Armor
Alter Self (Lizardfolk)

That's an AC of 21 at level 3...which is non to shabby for a completely unarmored character. You're probably good for a while.

Also, it causes problems whenever a player plays a non-standard race. Aasimar or Tiefling? Elan? Some Monstrous Humanoid? It starts to get out of control.

Siosilvar
2009-07-15, 02:09 PM
Last try - lets go with something REALLY exotic like... one of those winged elves or raptorians - so what, you get a natural fly-speed of 50ish feet. When.... every single other raptorian or winged-elf can fly at level 1 (Well, raptorians "SORTOF" fly).

Fly is a 3rd level spell with a shorter duration and slower speed.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-15, 02:22 PM

Why would you go into melee combat? You don't alter self to be a melee monster, you alter self to give yourself great defenses that stack with your other buffs--alter self grants a natural armor bonus, which stacks with mage armor's armor bonus, and the Con bump from alter self is not an enhancement bonus and thus stacks with bull's strength.

Also, it causes problems whenever a player plays a non-standard race. Aasimar or Tiefling? Elan? Some Monstrous Humanoid? It starts to get out of control.

Oh, definitely; I was only addressing humanoids, but if an aasimar can turn into a juvenile arrowhawk with flight or an elan can turn into a rust monster with +5 NA and scent, you have a problem spell on your hands.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-15, 02:36 PM
Non-standard races have level adjustment and sometimes their own racial hit dice. Meaning the aasimar or tiefling will only learn it at around ECL 4. A ogre will only learn it at like ECL 10... You get the picture. Stating nonstandard races for the use of alter self is a poor arguement...

Not to mention - tieflings and aasimars can only alter self into other NATIVE OUTSIDERS - not just any outsiders. They have to change into genasi or something.

Also, 21 armor class at level 3+? Wow. So ubberly broken!

Not like a level 3 fighter cant take some ranks in Craft (Armorsmithing) to make himself some full plate and tower shield for 1/3 their normal costs and get up to 20-21 armor class permenantly during a fight. I mean, that would just be CRAZY to, right!? :smallconfused: Or, what about a 20 strength, level 1 half-orc barbarian with a greatsword dishing out 2d6+7 damage a hit ALL DAY LONG! The madness that a wizard should be anywhere NEAR the physical abilities of a barbarian fighter even for a few minutes just staggers the mind.

Seriously, lets take a look at a REALLY decked out wizard at level 3.

Level 3 human wizard with 18 Intelligence, 10 Strength, 14 Dexterity, and 14 Constitution can cast 2 level 2 spells per day. Even with 20 intellignece from some racials (aka, tiefling, sun elf, etc), thats still 2 level 2 spells per day unless their specialized for transmutation - in which case a max of 3/day.

Cast Alter Self, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance. They stack. The wizard takes the form of a Lizardfolk for +5 Natural Armor, +4 Strength, +6 Constitution. Now he uses up his few level 1 spells - Mage Armor (+4 armor bonus to AC), Enlarge Person (+4 str does not stack with bull's strength, he gets 10 feet reach, -1 attack and -1 armor class).

Total result is;
Strength 14, Dexterity 14, Constitution 20, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 13, Charisma 12 (if we are dealing with a Sorcerer with alter self, mix Int with Cha, same effect).

+5 natural armor, +4 armor bonus, +2 dex bonus to armor class, -1 size penalty for a total of 20 AC. Can take -4 to attack penalties to fight defensively for +2 dodge to AC for a max of 22, or take full defense action for 24 armor class and be unable to attack or cast spells at all that round.

3d4+15 hit points (Average of 23 hp). Note, like the barbarian rage, these are not TEMPORARY hit points, and the wizard risks death once the alter self/bear's endurance spells end as his hp might go below the negitive. The wizards average hp unbuffed is 14 hp. So if he takes 14 or more damage when these spells are up and they end? Hes dying/dead.

Base attack bonus is +1. With strength, he has a +3 melee attack bonus with all attacks, and a +7 grapple bonus due to being large size, and a 10 foot reach with all melee/touch attacks, and weapons used are treated as large-sized. Considering the wizard's weapon proficency, that typically leaves a crossbow, staff, etc like object. Not that effective, even larged - a Large Staff carried by this wizard would do 1d8+3 damage when used with both hands...

+6 Fortitude saving throws, +3 Reflex saving throws and +4 will saving throws.

All those bonuses, for 5 spells, for 3-30 minutes a day... and thats it. Hes out of spells, hes out of juice, and is 'out of combat' doing nothing but tossing his few remaining cantrips, magic missiles, or crossbow bolts for the rest of the day.

How... is this broken?

Edit: Also, from a player and part-time dm's standpoint - the main issues with this spell so far seem to be PLAYER ABUSE - which apparently the dm has no balls to beat the hell out of the player for even attempting. Grow a sac 'lads', and learn to say no to some players and that will fix "ALOT" of problems.

Leon Leblanc
2009-07-15, 02:49 PM
I hate to jump in without any real understanding, but...from where I'm standing, it doesn't seem too imbalanced. I basically read it as "If you're a humanoid, you can change into any other humanoid race without gaining any of the 'huge' bonuses" (IE: darkvision or extra attacks for extra arms). I also didn't take it as a stackable spell. If anything, it reminded me just a tad of Prototype, in the way that you might accidentally absorb your armor into your new form. I'm not sure if -that- was what you guys meant when you keep talking about the uberstacking, but...

I dunno. It really doesn't seem that broken or hurt to me. It looks fine.

Surrealistik
2009-07-15, 03:49 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=176246

Considering humanoids outside of the SRD, it's just plain broken as should be obvious when browsing the lists featured in the above link. Assuming only SRD humanoids, it's borderline between the Troglodyte and Lizardfolk. +5/6 AC that stack with the Wizard's standard defensive spells for as long as Alter Form does is quite powerful (to say nothing of its utility outside of combat).

Jane_Smith
2009-07-15, 04:35 PM
Well how in the 9 layers of hell do you propose to fix it OTHER then removing it entirely or making it worse then other 2nd level spells by nerfing it to do pretty much nothing?

Saying its broken is one thing, especially using every non-core source you can find to make it such (from the site you linked - core humanoids are fine, but when you start going off-core, everything gets messed up). But how do you fix a spell that will only get 'more broken' with every supplement thats released?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-15, 04:41 PM
Saying its broken is one thing, especially using every non-core source you can find to make it such (from the site you linked - core humanoids are fine, but when you start going off-core, everything gets messed up). But how do you fix a spell that will only get 'more broken' with every supplement thats released?

By giving a list of options, for example...or limiting the spell to only duplicating beings of your approximate physical characteristics...or perhaps make it "base races only." Or having it only replicate physical appearances, and maybe granting a +2 bonus to two separate ability scores. There are numerous options.

Also, there's no need to be as confrontational as you've been. We are, after all, trying to help you with your project. If you lash out at us for suggesting (as a group, no less) an imbalance somewhere, you're going to drive off help you might otherwise receive.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-15, 05:02 PM
Not to mention - tieflings and aasimars can only alter self into other NATIVE OUTSIDERS - not just any outsiders. They have to change into genasi or something.

And where are you getting that idea? Native Outsider isn't a type, and alter self only limits by type--they're Outsiders (native), so they can turn into any Outsider.

Also, 21 armor class at level 3+? Wow. So ubberly broken!

Not like a level 3 fighter cant take some ranks in Craft (Armorsmithing) to make himself some full plate and tower shield for 1/3 their normal costs and get up to 20-21 armor class permenantly during a fight. I mean, that would just be CRAZY to, right!? :smallconfused: Or, what about a 20 strength, level 1 half-orc barbarian with a greatsword dishing out 2d6+7 damage a hit ALL DAY LONG! The madness that a wizard should be anywhere NEAR the physical abilities of a barbarian fighter even for a few minutes just staggers the mind.

The difference is that the wizard can get these benefits with a few spells, without expending time or nonrenewable resources.

[explanation]
+5 natural armor, +4 armor bonus, +2 dex bonus to armor class, -1 size penalty for a total of 20 AC. Can take -4 to attack penalties to fight defensively for +2 dodge to AC for a max of 22, or take full defense action for 24 armor class and be unable to attack or cast spells at all that round.
[...]
Base attack bonus is +1. With strength, he has a +3 melee attack bonus with all attacks, and a +7 grapple bonus due to being large size, and a 10 foot reach with all melee/touch attacks, and weapons used are treated as large-sized. Considering the wizard's weapon proficency, that typically leaves a crossbow, staff, etc like object. Not that effective, even larged - a Large Staff carried by this wizard would do 1d8+3 damage when used with both hands...

You still don't get it. The wizard isn't going into melee. He doesn't enlarge himself, he doesn't care about attack bonuses, this is purely defensive.

All those bonuses, for 5 spells, for 3-30 minutes a day... and thats it. Hes out of spells, hes out of juice, and is 'out of combat' doing nothing but tossing his few remaining cantrips, magic missiles, or crossbow bolts for the rest of the day.

How... is this broken?

Wands, scrolls, staffs, and many other ways to get extra spells. Extend Spell, Persist Spell, metamagic rods, and many other ways to increase spell duration. It may not be broken at level 3, but by level 5 he can have these defenses up all day if he needs to.

Edit: Also, from a player and part-time dm's standpoint - the main issues with this spell so far seem to be PLAYER ABUSE - which apparently the dm has no balls to beat the hell out of the player for even attempting. Grow a sac 'lads', and learn to say no to some players and that will fix "ALOT" of problems.

I don't insult your playing style, you don't insult mine. For your information, I've been DMing for over 10 years, I run high-powered campaigns, and most of the stuff my players and NPCs do make alter self look useless. If my players are doing something that's negatively affecting the game (doesn't happen often), I deal with it. I'm not whining about my poor game and how it's been broken to pieces, I was trying to help you by showing what you could do with it and how it affects the power level of a baseline campaign. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it!

Gnomo
2009-07-15, 05:43 PM
I think Alter Self should be pumped to 3rd level, after all you get Fly at 3rd level and Alter Self can easily give you that also plus other stuff.

lesser_minion
2009-07-16, 08:22 AM
You could just use the 3.0 version of Alter Self - no natural armour, no turning into a rust monster, no flying better than a 3rd-level spell.

Is that any good?

Alter Self
Transmutation
Level:Sor/Wiz 2
Components:V,S

You can alter your physical appearance and form - including clothing and equipment - to appear shorter, taller, thin, fat or in between. The assumed form must be corporeal. Your body can undergo a limited physical transmutation, including adding or subtracting one or two limbs, and your weight may change by up to half. If the assumed form has wings, you may fly at a speed of 30ft with poor maneuverability. If the form has gills, you may breath underwater.

Your attack rolls, natural armour bonus and saves do not change. This spell cannoit confer the special abilities, attack forms, ability scores or mannerisms of a chosen form. Once the new form is chosen, it remains for the spell's duration. If slain, you automatically return to your original form, although you remain dead.

As noted in the description of the disguise spell, the recipient of shape-altering magic, including Alter Self receives a +10 bonus on their disguise checks. While this is an untyped bonus, it can only be gained once - multiple applications of shape-changing magic do not confer a greater bonus.

The way the +10 bonus is worded in the Disguise skill description, it should be pretty clear that it is granted for being the recipient of "magic that alters the recipient's form", but the spells are all written in a way that implies something different, so I added on the clarification (my changes underlined).

The 3.0 spells Polymorph Self and Polymorph Other were also a lot better than the current version of Polymorph.

Amiel
2009-07-16, 08:47 AM
I believe you should retype the spells in the cure and heal trees to Necromancy rather than Conjuration; the inflict spells are already within said School.

Necromancy
Necromancy spells manipulate the power of death, unlife, and the life force.

Cure Light Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Healing 1, Pal 1, Rgr 2
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-16, 09:21 AM
I believe you should retype the spells in the cure and heal trees to Necromancy rather than Conjuration; the inflict spells are already within said School.

Agreed. Making up a Conjuration (Healing) subschool in 3e because Necromancy is evil and icky was one of their worse ideas.

lesser_minion
2009-07-16, 10:51 AM
True Seeing could also use some work. It needs two big changes:

It should not shut down the school of illusion It should not make transmuters laugh (basically, the spell shouldn't make transmutation effects invisible to you - it should merely reveal their actual forms)

I think a decent starting point for a re-write would be:

True Seeing
Divination
Level: Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6

You confer upon the subject of this spell the ability to see unimpaired by magic.

The subject must concentrate (a standard action) in order to clear magical effects from his vision, but when he does so, he can attempt to clear any visible active noninstantaneous magical effect from his vision. Effects cleared in this way remain visible, but cease to grant any form of concealment to those within, behind or targeted by the effect (they are reduced to a transluscent figure, or become simultaneously visible and not visible in some really strange manner). If the effect is a transmutation, the recipient of this spell sees the natural form of that effect's target superimposed on a transluscent form of the target's new appearance. If the cleared efect is an illusion, it is disbelieved.

Spells which confer invisibility or imperceptibility on their subjects may be 'cleared' by this spell in the same way as visible spell effects - in this case, the subject of this spell becomes able to see the target of the concealing spell.

In order to clear effects from his vision, the subject of this spell must make a check on d20 + the caster level of this spell. Effects with a dispel DC equal to or less than the result of this check are cleared. Those with a higher dispel DC are not cleared, but the subject does not sense the presence of effects which he has attempted to clear and failed (for this reason, the DM is advised to make this check in secret on a player's behalf).

Only effects within the subject's line of sight and 120ft may be cleared. However, the recipient of this spell receives an intuitive sense that something is wrong while any abjuration, transmutation or illusion effects which could be cleared are within thius range and line of sight.

True seeing does not negate all concealment, including that caused by mundane fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.

Surrealistik
2009-07-16, 11:48 AM
True Seeing
Divination

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. If you succeed on an opposed caster level check, the subject will see through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. The DC of this opposed check is based on the effective caster level of the caster of the magical effect being observed. Transmuted objects and creatures successfully revealed in this way have a translucent outline of their false/new form visible. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.

Material Component
An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat.

Eldan
2009-07-16, 11:59 AM
Just a clarification: you should move the "if the caster succeeds on a caster level check" to the beginning of the sentence, otherwise it's not completely clear if you mean that if only the "transmuted, polymorphed and changed creatures" part requires the check or everything, which I strongly assume is what you meant.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-16, 12:04 PM
True Seeing
Divination

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things if the caster succeeds on an opposed caster level check against the caster of the magical effect. Transmuted objects successfully revealed in this way have a translucent outline of their false/new form visible. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.

Material Component
An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat.

I'm still skeptical...this is a 5th level spell that can uncover 9th level illusions.

Perhaps penetrating illusions should require that opposed caster check as well.

Surrealistik
2009-07-16, 12:08 PM
Just a clarification: you should move the "if the caster succeeds on a caster level check" to the beginning of the sentence, otherwise it's not completely clear if you mean that if only the "transmuted, polymorphed and changed creatures" part requires the check or everything, which I strongly assume is what you meant.

Given the existence and ruthlessness of rules lawyers, that might be a good idea.

Perhaps penetrating illusions should require that opposed caster check as well.

That's the intent of the revision which is being changed as per above.

Eldan
2009-07-16, 12:08 PM
I think that's the intention... (see my last post)

Grargh, ninja'd by Surrealistik himself. At least Djinn's post proves that it was a little confusing.

Surrealistik
2009-07-16, 12:13 PM
Fixed. Check out the new phrasing.

lesser_minion
2009-07-16, 12:27 PM
OK, I just finished editing my version (see spoiler above), although I like Surrealistik's version as well.

I felt it was pretty heavily nerfed (even though it now negates any concealment offered by magic, including Obscuring Mist and abjuration spells), so I'm considering removing the material component.

See Invisibility should also be revised a little - remove the spells that bypass it, and add in a CL check.

Surrealistik
2009-07-16, 12:43 PM
See Invisibility
Divination
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 2

You can see any objects or beings that are invisible within your range of vision, as well as any that are ethereal, as if they were normally visible. Such creatures are visible to you as translucent shapes, allowing you easily to discern the difference between visible, invisible, and ethereal creatures. Creatures and objects that are magically invisible are only revealed if you succeed on an opposed caster level check against the caster of the invisibility effect.

The spell does not reveal the method used to obtain invisibility. It does not reveal illusions or enable you to see through opaque objects. It does not reveal creatures who are simply hiding, concealed, or otherwise hard to see.

See invisibility can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Material Component
A pinch of talc and a small sprinkling of powdered silver.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-16, 12:46 PM
Alter Self
Transmutation
Level: Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Duration: 10 minutes/level

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.

You gain no qualities of the assumed form beyond simple appearance, and the bonuses or penalties of your increased or decreased size, if appropriate. Instead, you gain a +2 Racial bonus to a single physical ability score of your choice for the duration of the spell.

You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your Disguise check.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

lesser_minion
2009-07-16, 12:59 PM
Interesting idea, although I think you've nerfed it too far. I still think it would be better to use the 3.0 description, or at least say that you can change your form to a limited degree rather than to anything of your type.

The spell should still offer weak flight and underwater breathing IMO - neither of those can be abused readily at 3rd level.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-16, 01:08 PM
Interesting idea, although I think you've nerfed it too far. I still think it would be better to use the 3.0 description, or at least say that you can change your form to a limited degree rather than to anything of your type.

The spell should still offer weak flight and underwater breathing IMO - neither of those can be abused readily at 3rd level.

Well, I was trying to limit it's versatility a bit. It's currently a better version of Disguise Self (being Transmutation rather than Illusion, and having a wider range of effects), a potential Enlarge Person, and half of a Bull's Strength or similar spell (with a longer duration). I feel that adding flight or underwater breathing in the same spell as all of that would be a little to much for a 2nd level spell. Perhaps as a second spell...Alter Form, perhaps. Or something like it.

lesser_minion
2009-07-16, 01:37 PM
The 3.0 version doesn't actually offer any size or stat alteration - the spell should actually be a 'real' Disguise Self.

Until the 3.5 designers got within a quadrillion megaparsecs of it...

Jane_Smith
2009-07-16, 02:27 PM
I agree with lesser minion - I enjoy her idea of the Alter Self spell.

Anyway, sorry for not posting, bit busy irl. Ill still be checking in, just not as often. Sorry for the delay.

Gnomo
2009-07-18, 05:06 AM
I would definitely add this to Astral Projection:

You project your astral self onto the Astral Plane, leaving your physical body behind on the Material Plane in a state of suspended animation. The spell projects an astral copy of you and all you wear or carry onto the Astral Plane. Since the Astral Plane touches upon other planes, you can travel astrally to any of these other planes as you will. To enter one, you leave the Astral Plane, forming a new physical body (and equipment) on the plane of existence you have chosen to enter. When this spell is over (by any means) any copy of your equipment made during the duration of this spell disappears.

Jane_Smith
2009-07-19, 11:34 AM
I have returned from my busy schedule to bring you a little fun bit i worked on last night. Sleep is overrated, right?

~~~~~~~~~Jane's Complete Guide to Necromancy (Incomplete)~~~~~~~~~

Necromancy. Few things has inspired more dreadful images in ones mind with but a mention of its name then this school of magic, the stylized worker of flesh surrounded by the moans and wails of the damned. Little do people understand however, their is always two sides of a coin, and necromancy is no different.

People so easily forget what necromancy truely is. It is not all making ghouls, stripping flesh and weilding the dreaded negitive energy, the very bane of life, like some childish evoker... though it is a fun pass time. Necromancy is the study of death, yes, and I shall not deny its grizzly side that so many power hungry wizards embrace. But no, their is more - the study of life. Just like it is easier for man to take the road of evil for quick and thoughtless gain, many turn to necromancy for power over death itself, seeking to cheat it by understanding it, lacking the patience, and sadly, the materials to learn and study its bighter side.

What one must understand before peering into this tome is a simple fact, controlling the powers of life is considered a sin by followers of the gods. They beleive the power over life and death to be domains of those gods, and that no mortal should weild such power without their blessing. To use this power is to invite the wrath of righteous zealots to your doorstep who will be blinded by their pethic faith, to blind to see the potential of such magic. Hide this knowledge from any who guide their blades by their faith alone, for you will likely find them using them on you.

~~~The Faithless Power

The study of life within necromancy is sketchy at best. So few bother with it, seeking the carnal knowledge of death, or it lies burned to ash by the hands of god cursed fools. I will try to keep my opinion unbiased - but one must undersand first and foremost the gods are nothing but mockerys. They horde the secrets of life for themselves, and play their fickle games with mortals, to scared that one day we will wield such power and forgot them. Their cowardence and childish tantrums have brought death and destruction on untold levels in their foolish games. This magic is not gifted by the gods, this is the magic of man, to be used for and by man.

Also take note, others who practice the darker aspects of necromancy will fear, and seek to destroy you should they discover your understanding of this magic. As two opposite aspects of the same school, positive energy and life magic can wreck havoc on unlife and the powers of the dead. It is a sad truth, but despite the benefits and good deeds you can perform with such power, you will find few allies in this cold and thoughtless world, even those who follow a simular, mirrored road of your own.

~~~The Sources of Life

While the faithful of the god can heal, they do so differently then ourselves. While we tap into the very weave of magic that makes up exsistance to bring forth our power, they must rely on their gods, as such you will notice the auras of such energys will vary wildly.

Due to the style in which clerics siphon the power of their gods threw their own bodies as conduits, in essence, they are 'conjuring' raw, untamed positive energy into our world for their needs straight from their deities. As such, their spells of healing are conjuration. They have no idea of how to bend positive energy and heal without the aid of their gods, and should they find themselves severed from such, they are powerless. Another weakness of preying to such 'gods' - it seems like every hundred or so years another is killed and leaves thousands of their faithful powerless and slaughtered by rivals who take advantage of such. One also has to wonder, where actually do the souls of the dead they have taken into protection go once their patron deity is destroyed, and their realm in the heavens crumble? Is it even worth worshipping these mortal gods if at some point or another, your soul will become nothingness in a few thousand years of unlife? Anyway, I digress.

Back on track, our magic does not bring positive energy from its realm, nor from the gods. We take the exsisting energy of our world, that 'radiates' from ourselves and others, and simply repurpose it. We are not so much as making the energy then shaping it to our needs, using it to envirograte and speed healing nearly instantaneously. Thus, our magic shows are pure necromancy, and many who can see the radiation such magic leaves behind or during casting and knows what the auras of necromancy look like will usually be distrustful you are actually healing them. Be warned beforehand.

~~~The Magic

Enough of my ranting, you are reading this to find power to manipulate and enhance life, and the power to bring death and despair, to weild the power of the gods inyour hands, and thus you shall have it. Heed my warnings above; do not trust the faithful, do not trust the masters of undeath, and under no circumstances openly display your magic so freely. To do so is to invite your doom. Also below is a list of other, unsavory, necromatic spells I have taken the liberty of adding.

0-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells (Cantrips)

Animate Animal
Necromancy
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft,/2 levels)
Target: On animal corpse

This spell turns the bones or body of one dead animal into an undead skeleton or zombie that followers your spoken commands. This spell will only animate dead animals of Tiny size. The skeleton or zombie can follow you or can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific type of creature) entering the place. The skeleton or zombie remains animated until it is destroyed. A destroyed skeleton or zombie cannot be reanimated again.

Regardless of the amount of times this spell is cast, only a single undead animal may be animated at any one time, and only a number of hit dice of undead may be controlled at any one time by a single caster equal to 1 Hit Dice. If an undead animal is animated using this spell that exceeds the casters 1 Hit Dice limit for this spell, the new animal becomes controlled and a previously animated animal becomes uncontrolled.

An undead animal can be created only from a mostly intact skeleton or corpse. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.

Undead created by this spell do not count towards the casters normal total of hit dice worth of undead he may control at any one time.

Cure Minor Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like cure light wounds, except that it cures only 1 point of damage to a living creature that has -1 or lower hit points.

Disrupt Undead
Necromancy
Target: Undead creatures within range

You send a small blast of positive energy around you. Undead creatures with fewer then 1 Hit Dice are destroyed immediately. This spell deals 1d6 positive energy damage to undead swarms.

Inflict Minor Wounds
Necromancy

This spell functions like inflict light wounds, except that you deal 1 point of damage to a living creature that has -1 or lower hit points.

Fatigue
Necromancy
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Target: Creature targeted
Duration: 1 minute/level

You channel negative energy into the target. The subject is immediately fatigued for the spell’s duration.

This spell has no effect on a creature that is already fatigued. Unlike with normal fatigue, the effect ends as soon as the spell’s duration expires.

1st-Level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells

Animate Skeleton
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Target: One corpse.

This spell turns the bones or body of one dead creature into an undead skeleton that follows your spoken commands. This spell will only animate skeletons of Medium size or smaller. The skeleton can follow you or can remain in an area and asttack any creature (or just a specific type of creature) entering the place. The skeleton remains animated until it is destroyed. A destroyed skeleton cannot be reanimated.

Regardless of the amount of times this spell is cast, only a single skeleton can be created per casting of this spell, and only a 1 Hit Dice of undead per caster level (maximum 5 Hit Dice) may be controlled at any one time by a single caster. If a skeleton is animated using this spell that exceeds the maximum Hit Dice of undead the caster can control at any one time, it is created under his control, but a previously created skeleton becomes uncontrolled.

A skeleton can be created only from a mostly intact skeleton or corpse. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.

Undead created by this spell do not count towards the casters normal total of hit dice worth of undead he may control at any one time.

Matertial Component
A small black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp. The magic of the spell makes this gem worthless.

Cure Light Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text

You may target a single creature in range to channel positive energy that cures 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d4).

Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.

Deathly Chill
Necromancy
Targets: Creature or creatures targeted (up to one/level)

You send a wave of negitive energy threw creatures, which glows with blue energy, disrupting the life force of living creatures. Each creature affected takes 1d8 + 1 per caster level (maximum 1d8+5 at 5th level) points of damage. The creature also takes 1 point of Strength damage unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw.

An undead creature targeted takes no damage of either sort, but it gains 1d6+1 temporary hit points and a +1 enhancement bonus to Strength for the next hour.

Enfeeblement
Necromancy

A blast of negitive energy springs from your hand. The target takes 1d4 points of Strength damage, +1 per two caster levels after the first (maximum 1d4+4 at 9th level). The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1 by use of this spell.

Inflict Light Wounds
Necromancy
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Saving Throw: Will half

You may target a single creature in range to channel negative energy that deals 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 5d4).

Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell cures such a creature of a like amount of damage, rather than harming it.

2nd-level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells

Animate Zombie
Necromancy
COmponents: V, S, M
Casting TIme: 1 standard action
Targets: One corpse
Duraration: Instantaneous

This spell turns the bones or body of one dead creature into an undead zombie that follows your spoken commands. This spell will only animate zombies of Medium size or smaller. The zombiecan follow you or can remain in an area and attack any creature (or justa specific type of creature) entering the place. The zombie remains animated until it is destroyed. A destroyed zombie cannot be reanimated again.

Regardless of the amount of times this spell is cast, only a single zombie may be created per casting of this spell from a single caster, and only 2 hit dice per caster level (maximum 10) worth of undead may be controlled by this spell at any one time. If a zombie is animated using this spell that exceeds the maximum Hit Dice of undead the caster can control at any one time, it is created under his control, but a previously created zombie becomes uncontrolled.

A zombie can be created only from a mostly intact corpse.

Matertial Component
A small black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp. The magic of the spell makes this gem worthless.

Command Undead
Necromancy [Language Dependant]
Targets: One undead creature

This spell allows you control over an undead creature. Assuming the subject is intelligent, it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way (treat its attitude as helpful). It will not attack you while the spell lasts. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An intelligent commanded undead never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing.

A nonintelligent undead creature gets no saving throw against this spell. When you control a mindless being, you can communicate only basic commands, such as “come here,” “go there,” “fight,” “stand still,” and so on. Nonintelligent undead won’t resist suicidal or obviously harmful orders.

Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the commanded undead (regardless of its Intelligence) breaks the spell.

Your commands are not telepathic. The undead creature must be able to hear and understand you.

Material Component
A shred of raw meat and a splinter of bone.

Cure Moderate Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+1 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d4+10).

False Life
Necromancy
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text

You harness the power of unlife to grant yourself a limited ability to avoid death. While this spell is in effect, you gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6 + 1 per caster level (maximum 1d6+10). So long as you possess any temporary hit points granted by this spell, you gain Damage Reduction equal to your caster level (maximum 10/-) against all forms of critical and precision based damage, including sneak attacks, and a +2 enhancement bonus to saving throws against Diseases and Poisons.

Material Component
A small amount of alcohol or distilled spirits, which you use to trace certain sigils on your body during casting. These sigils cannot be seen once the alcohol or spirits evaporate.

Inflict Moderate Wounds
Necromancy

This spell functions like inflict light wounds, except that you deal 1d4+1 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d4+10).

Ghoul Touch
Necromancy
Target: Living humanoid touched

Imbuing yourself with negative energy, this spell allows you to paralyze a single living humanoid for 1d6+1 rounds (Fortitude negates) with a successful melee touch attack.

Additionally, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench that causes all living creatures (except you) in a 10-foot-radius spread to become sickened (Fortitude negates). A neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature, and creatures immune to poison are unaffected by the stench.

Material Component
A small scrap of cloth taken from clothing worn by a ghoul, or a pinch of earth from a ghoul’s lair.

Restoration, Lesser
Necromancy (Healing)
Casting Time: 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless); See below
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); See below

Lesser restoration dispels any magical effects reducing one of the subject’s ability scores or cures 1d4 points of temporary ability damage to one of the subject’s ability scores. It also eliminates any fatigue suffered by the character, and improves an exhausted condition to fatigued. It does not restore permanent ability drain.

This spell has the opposite effect on undead. An undead creature effected by this spell gains the drawbacks and penalties as if it were exhuasted for 1 hour. If it makes its saving throw, it instead gains the disadvantages of being fatigued for 1 hour instead.

Severe the Senses
Necromancy
Components: V
Target: One creature with visual or listening capabilities.
Duration: Permanent (D)

You channel negitive energy directly into the senory organs of a living creature to render the subject blinded and deafened.

If used on an undead creature, this instead permenantly enhances their senosry abilities. Their Darkvision range is doubled, and they gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Listen, Spot, and Search checks.

Martial Component
The preserved eye and ear of a humanoid creature.

Spectral Hand
Necromancy
Effect: One spectral hand
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

A ghostly, glowing hand shaped from your life force materializes and moves as you desire, allowing you to deliver low-level, touch range spells at a distance. For as long as the spell lasts, any touch range spell of 4th level or lower that you cast can be delivered by the spectral hand. The spell gives you a bonus on your melee touch attack roll equal to your spellcasting ability modifier, and attacking with the hand counts normally as an attack. The hand always strikes from your direction. The hand cannot flank targets like a creature can. After it delivers a spell, or if the hand goes beyond the spell range, goes out of your sight, the hand returns to you and hovers.

The hand is incorporeal and thus cannot be harmed by normal weapons. It has improved evasion (half damage on a failed Reflex save and no damage on a successful save), your save bonuses, and an AC of 22. Your spellcasting ability modifier applies to the hand’s AC as if it were the hand’s Dexterity modifier. The hand has 5 hit points.

3rd-level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells

Animate Dead
Necromancy
Targets: One or more corpses in range

This spell turns the bones or bodies of dead creatures into undead skeletons or zombies that follow your spoken commands.

The undead can follow you, or they can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific kind of creature) entering the place. They remain animated until they are destroyed. (A destroyed skeleton or zombie can’t be animated again.)

Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. (The desecrate spell doubles this limit)

The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created creatures fall under your control, and any excess undead from previous castings become uncontrolled. (You choose which creatures are released.)

Skeletons
A skeleton can be created only from a mostly intact corpse or skeleton. The corpse must have bones. If a skeleton is made from a corpse, the flesh falls off the bones.

Zombies
A zombie can be created only from a mostly intact corpse. The corpse must be that of a creature with a true anatomy.

Material Component
A solid onyx gem worth at least 25 gold. The gem becomes a burnt out husk after the spell is cast, completely worthless.

Bestow Curse
Necromancy

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.

-6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
-4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Contagion
Necromancy

Disease / Damage
*= Each time a victim takes 2 or more points of Strength damage from blinding sickness, he or she must make another Fortitude save or be permanently blinded.

Blinding sickness* (1d4 Str)
Cackle fever (1d6 Wis)
Filth fever (1d4 Dex and 1d4 Con)
Mindfire (1d6 Int)
Red ache (1d6 Str)
Shakes (1d6 Dex)
Slimy doom (1d6 Con)

The subject contracts a disease selected from the table, which strikes immediately (no incubation period). Use the spell's DC for the initial save throwing and all additional saving throws provoked by the disease.

Cure Serious Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+2 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d4+30).

Inflict Serious Wounds

This spell functions like inflict light wounds, except that you deal 1d4+2 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d4+30).

Exhaustion
Necromancy
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

A smokey blast of negitive energy flys from your hand into the target. The subject is immediately exhausted for the spell’s duration. A successful Fortitude save means the creature is only fatigued for the duration.

A character that is already fatigued instead becomes exhausted.

This spell has no effect on a creature that is already exhausted. Unlike normal exhaustion or fatigue, the effect ends as soon as the spell’s duration expires.

Gentle Repose
Necromancy
Target: Corpse touched
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You preserve the remains of a dead creature so that they do not decay. Doing so effectively extends the time limit on raising that creature from the dead (see raise dead). Days spent under the influence of this spell don’t count against the time limit. Additionally, this spell makes transporting a fallen comrade more pleasant.

The spell also works on severed body parts and the like, and on undead such as zombies to keep their appearance life like.

Material Component
A pinch of salt.

Halt Undead
Necromancy
Targets: Up to one undead creature per caster level
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)

This spell renders as many as three undead creatures immobile. A nonintelligent undead creature gets no saving throw; an intelligent undead creature does. If the spell is successful, it renders the undead creature immobile for the duration of the spell (similar to the effect of hold person on a living creature). The effect is broken if the halted creatures are attacked or take damage.

Material Component
A pinch of sulfur and powdered garlic.

Invigoration of Undeath
Necromancy
Target: All zombies in range centered on you

This spell increases the flow of negative energy through zombies, causing them to move with far greater speed and fluidity than normal. Zombies within the area of effect automatically gain the Improved Initiative feat and a +4 bonus to Dexterity. In addition, they ay also ignore their partial actions only special quality. This effects of this spell last idefinitely, until the zombies are destroyed.

Material COmponent
The heart of a fighter or warrior.

Remove Disease
Necromancy (Healing)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates or Will negates (harmless); See below
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); See below

Remove disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from. The spell also kills parasites, including green slime and others. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note that this spell also works on undead with little to no negitive effects. It cures all diseases the undead creature may be carrying, supressing its ability to spread any disease based abilities for one hour. However, if the undead was created specifically by a type of disease or parasite (such as ghoul fever), it must make a will save or be destroyed immediately.

Vampiric Touch
Necromancy
Duration: Instantaneous/1 hour; see text

You must succeed on a melee touch attack. Your touch deals 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 10d6). You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal. However, you can’t gain more than the subject’s current hit points +10, which is enough to kill the subject. The temporary hit points disappear 1 hour later. Each time you use this ability to gain new temporary hit points, the duration is renewed.

4th-level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells

Cure Critical Wounds
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+3 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d4+60).

Death Ward
Necromancy
Duration: 10 mins./level

The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.

This spell doesn’t remove negative levels that the subject has already gained, nor does it affect the saving throw necessary 24 hours after gaining a negative level.

Death ward does not protect against other sorts of attacks even if those attacks might be lethal.

This spell does not end immediately upon death. For the duration of this spell, should you be slain, your remains cannot be reanimated into an undead creature.

Inflict Critical Wounds

This spell functions like inflict light wounds, except that you deal 1d4+3 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d4+60).

Enervation
Necromancy
Effect: Ray of negative energy

You point your finger and utter the incantation, releasing a black ray of crackling negative energy that suppresses the life force of any living creature it strikes. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit. If the attack succeeds, the subject gains 1d4 negative levels.

If the subject has at least as many negative levels as HD, it dies. Each negative level gives a creature a -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities).

Additionally, a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from his or her highest available level. Negative levels stack.

Assuming the subject survives, it regains lost levels after a number of hours equal to your caster level (maximum 15 hours). Usually, negative levels have a chance of permanently draining the victim’s levels, but the negative levels from enervation don’t last long enough to do so.

An undead creature struck by the ray gains 1d4 temporary hit points per caster level (max 15d4) for 1 hour.

Neutralize Poison
Necromancy (Healing)
Target: Creature or object of up to 1 cu. ft./level touched
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)

You detoxify any sort of venom in the creature or object touched. A poisoned creature suffers no additional effects from the poison, and any temporary effects are ended, but the spell does not reverse instantaneous effects, such as hit point damage, temporary ability damage, or effects that don’t go away on their own.

The creature is immune to any poison it is exposed to during the duration of the spell. Unlike with delay poison, such effects aren’t postponed until after the duration —the creature need not make any saves against poison effects applied to it during the length of the spell.

This spell can instead neutralize the poison in a poisonous creature or object for the duration of the spell, at the caster’s option. If this spell is used on a undead creature that was specifically created by a poison (magical or otherwise), they must make a Will save or be destroyed immediately.

Material Component
A bit of charcoal.

Poison
Necromancy
Duration: Instantaneous or 10 min./level; see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text

Channeling a deadly amount of negitive energy that pulses in the body of the target slowly, you infect the subject with a type of energy that acts like poison. This poison deals 1d6 + 1 per 3 caster levels (maximum 1d6+6 at 18th level) points of temporary Constitution damage immediately and again 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your caster level + your spellcasting ability modifier).

If this spell is used on an undead creature, it gives their natural attacks this deadly poisoness effect. All bite, claw, and sting attacks made by an undead creature deliver a poison that deals 1d4 temporary Constitution damage immediately and again 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 undead's hit dice + undead's charisma bonus). If the spell is used in this way, the effect lasts on the undead creature for 10 minutes per caster level.

Material Component
A vipers tooth dried in blood.

Restoration
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it also dispels negative levels and restores one experience level to a creature who has had a level drained. The drained level is restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is equal to or less than one day per caster level. A character who has a level restored by restoration has exactly the minimum number of experience points necessary to restore him or her to his or her previous level.

Restoration cures all temporary ability damage, and it restores all points permanently drained from a single ability score (your choice if more than one is drained). It also eliminates any fatigue or exhaustion suffered by the target.

Undead do not get a saving throw against this effect, automatically becoming effectively exhuasted for one hour if targeted by this spell, gaining all penalties and drawbacks of the exhuasted condition despite undead immunities.

Material Component
A single diamond worth 100 gp.

5th-level Sorcerer and Wizard spells

Blight
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Saving Throw: Fortitude half; see text

This spell withers a single plant of any size. An affected plant creature takes 1d6+1 points of damage per level (maximum 15d6+15) and may attempt a Fortitude saving throw for half damage. A plant that isn’t a creature doesn’t receive a save and immediately withers and dies.

This spell has no effect on the soil or surrounding plant life.

Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Necromancy (Healing)
Target: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless) or Will half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) or Yes; see text

You channel positive energy to cure 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d4) in each selected creature.

Like other cure spells, mass cure light wounds deals damage to undead in its area rather than curing them. Each affected undead may attempt a Will save for half damage.

Disrupting Weapon
Necromancy
Targets: One melee weapon
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object); see text

This spell makes a melee weapon deadly to undead by sheathing it in massive amount of positive energy. Any undead creature with HD equal to or less than your caster level must succeed on a Will save or be destroyed utterly if struck in combat with this weapon. Spell resistance does not apply against the destruction effect.

Inflict Light Wounds, Mass
Necromancy
Target: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Will half

Negative energy spreads out in all directions from the point of origin, dealing 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 25d4) to each selected creature.

Like other inflict spells, mass inflict light wounds cures undead in its area rather than damaging them.

Magic Jar
Necromancy
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour/level or until you return to your body

By casting magic jar, you place your soul in a gem or large crystal (known as the magic jar), leaving your body lifeless. Then you can attempt to take control of a nearby body, forcing its soul into the magic jar. You may move back to the jar (thereby returning the trapped soul to its body) and attempt to possess another body. The spell ends when you send your soul back to your own body, leaving the receptacle empty.

To cast the spell, the magic jar must be within spell range and you must know where it is, though you do not need line of sight or line of effect to it. When you transfer your soul upon casting, your body is, as near as anyone can tell, dead.

While in the magic jar, you can sense and attack any life force within 10 feet per caster level (and on the same plane of existence). You do need line of effect from the jar to the creatures. You cannot determine the exact creature types or positions of these creatures. In a group of life forces, you can sense a difference of 4 or more Hit Dice between one creature and another and can determine whether a life force is powered by positive or negative energy. (Undead creatures are powered by negative energy. Only sentient undead creatures have, or are, souls.)

You could choose to take over either a stronger or a weaker creature, but which particular stronger or weaker creature you attempt to possess is determined randomly.

Attempting to possess a body is a full-round action. It is blocked by protection from evil or a similar ward. You possess the body and force the creature’s soul into the magic jar unless the subject succeeds on a Will save. Failure to take over the host leaves your life force in the magic jar, and the target automatically succeeds on further saving throws if you attempt to possess its body again.

If you are successful, your life force occupies the host body, and the host’s life force is imprisoned in the magic jar. You keep your Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, level, class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, alignment, and mental abilities. The body retains its Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, hit points, natural abilities, and automatic abilities. A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous two-weapon attacks) than normal. You can’t choose to activate the body’s extraordinary or supernatural abilities. The creature’s spells and spell-like abilities do not stay with the body.

As a standard action, you can shift freely from a host to the magic jar if within range, sending the trapped soul back to its body. The spell ends when you shift from the jar to your own body.
If the host body is slain, you return to the magic jar, if within range, and the life force of the host departs (it is dead). If the host body is slain beyond the range of the spell, both you and the host die. Any life force with nowhere to go is treated as slain.

If the spell ends while you are in the magic jar, you return to your body (or die if your body is out of range or destroyed). If the spell ends while you are in a host, you return to your body (or die, if it is out of range of your current position), and the soul in the magic jar returns to its body (or dies if it is out of range). Destroying the receptacle ends the spell, and the spell can be dispelled at either the magic jar or at the host’s location.

Focus
A gem or crystal worth at least 100 gp.

Raise Dead
Necromancy (Healing)
Target: Dead or undead creature touched
Spell Resistance: None; see text

You restore life to a deceased creature. You can raise a creature that has been dead for no longer than one day per caster level. In addition, the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.

Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The subject of the spell takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability scores (minimum 1), saving throws, and skill checks for one day. This effect stacks if the character is raised multiple times in one day. A character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell.

A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Any ability scores damaged to 0 are raised to 1. Normal poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.

A creature who has been turned into an undead creature can’t be raised by this spell unless destroyed first, and even then the spell must be cast on them within the normal time frame from their moment of death to be successful. Constructs, elementals and outsiders can’t be raised. The spell cannot bring back a creature that has died of old age.

Material Component
Diamonds worth a total of least 5,000 gp.

Slay Living
Necromancy [Death]

You can slay any one living creature. You must succeed on a melee touch attack to touch the subject, and it can avoid death with a successful Fortitude save. If it succeeds, it instead takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum of 15d6).

Waves of Fatigue
Necromancy
Target: All living creatures within range centered on you.
Duration: 10 min./level.
Saving Throw: No

Waves of negative energy render all living creatures in the spell’s area immediately fatigued for the duration of thespell. If the creature is already fatigue, this spell has no effect.

6th-level Sorcerer and Wizard spells

Aura of Antilife
Necromancy

You bring into being a mobile, hemispherical field of negitive energy that prevents the entrance of most types of living creatures. The effect hedges out animals, aberrations, dragons, fey, giants, humanoids, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, oozes, plants, and vermin, but not constructs, elementals, outsiders, or undead.

In addition, you and all nonliving creatures in range of this spell gain a energy resistance equal to your caster level against positive energy for the duration of the spell.

This spell may be used only defensively, not aggressively. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the spell keeps at bay collapses the barrier.

Create Undead
Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: One corpse

A much more potent spell than animate dead, this evil spell allows you to create more powerful sorts of undead: ghouls, ghasts, mummies, and mohrgs. The type or types of undead you can create is based on your caster level, as shown on the table below.

Caster Level Required / Undead Created
11th or lower - Ghoul
12th-14th - Ghast
15th-17th - Mummy
18th+ - Mohrg

You may create less powerful undead than your level would allow if you choose. Created undead are not automatically under the control of their animator. If you are capable of commanding undead, you may attempt to command the undead creature as it forms.

Material Component
A clay pot filled with grave dirt and another filled with brackish water. The spell must be cast on a dead body. You must place a black onyx gem worth at least 25 gp into the mouth or eye socket of each corpse. The magic of the spell turns the gem into a worthless shell.

Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like mass cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+1 points of damage per caster level (maximum 30d6+30).

Circle of Death
Necromancy [Death]
Area: Several living creatures within a 40-ft.-radius burst

A circle of death snuffs out the life force of living creatures, killing them instantly.

The spell slays 1d6 HD worth of living creatures per caster level (maximum 20d6). Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first; among creatures with equal HD, those who are closest to the burst’s point of origin are affected first. No creature with Hit dice exceeding your caster level or 20 or more Hit dice can be affected by this spell, whichever is lower, and Hit Dice that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted.

Material Component
The powder of a crushed black onyx with a minimum value of 100 gp.

Circle of Disruption
Necromancy
Area: Several undead creatures within a 40-ft.-radius burst

This spell functions like circle of death, except that it destroys undead creatures as noted above.

Material Component
The powder of a crushed diamond worth at least 100 gp.

Wow, thats pretty bad. Its to big for one post to handle!

Jane_Smith
2009-07-19, 11:36 AM
Other half.

Harm
Necromancy
Saving Throw: Will half; see text

Harm charges a subject with negative energy that deals 10 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 200 points at 20th level). If the creature successfully saves, harm deals half this amount, but it cannot reduce the target’s hit points to less than 1.

If used on an undead creature, harm acts like heal.

Heal
Necromancy (Healing)

Heal enables you to channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away injury and afflictions. It immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. It also cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 200 points at 20th level.

Heal does not remove negative levels, restore permanently drained levels, or restore permanently drained ability score points.

If used against an undead creature, heal instead acts like harm.

Inflict Moderate Wounds, Mass
Necromancy

This spell functions like mass inflict light wounds, except that it deals 1d4+1 points of damage per caster level (maximum 30d4+30).

Longevity
Necromancy [Healing]
Targets: Creature touched

This spell negates the effects of natural aging on the recipient of the spell for a period of one day. It has no effect on aging caused by magical or divine means. Multiple longevity spells cast within the same day stack, increasing the duration of the effect by an additional day. Cast frequently, this spell does, of course, greant the recipient near immortality of a type - they will no longer age whilst the spell is in effect, thought they will still be vulnerable to death from other sources, such as disease, poison and injury.

Threshold of Life
Necromancy [Healing]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./caster level)
Area: Area radius outlined by caster
Spell Rersistance: No

By outlining an area to be affected with chalk and powder from crushed diamond, you can greatly increase theambient positive energy present in your surroundings. The effectiveness of all healing spells within this area is increased by one half, whilst all damage dealt, from any source, is halved. Normal healing by rest is doubled within the area, and spellcasters gain a +1 bonus to their effective caster level with all spells cast within the area. Living creatures below 0 hit points automatically succeed on all stabilize checks.

Living creatures are automatically healed of 1 point of damage each round they remain inside the spell's area of effect, and gain a +2 bonus on all saving throws against Disease and Poison.

Undead creatures within the area take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Martial Component
Chalk mixed with a powdered diamond.

Threshold of Unlife
Necromancy
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./caster level)
Area: Area radius outlined by caster
Spell Rersistance: No

By outlining an area to be affected with chalk and powder from a crushed onyx, you can greatly increase theambient negative energy present in your surroundings. The effectiveness of all healing spells within this area is halved, whilst all damage dealt, from any source, is increased by one-half. Normal healing by rest is not possible within the area, nor will spellcasters be able to rest for the preparation of their spells. Living creatures below 0 hit points automatically fail all stabilize checks.

Undead creatures that normally suffer in daylight, such as spectres and vampires, will face no ill effcts while inside the area. All undead creatures are automatically healed of 1 point of damage each round they remain inside the spell's area of effect.

Living creatures within the area take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws.

Material Component
Chalk mixed with a powdered onyx.

7th-level Sorcerer and Wizard Spells

Control Undead
Necromancy
Targets: Up to one undead creature per level

This spell enables you to command undead creatures for a short period of time. You command them by voice and they understand you, no matter what language you speak. Even if vocal communication is impossible the controlled undead do not attack you. At the end of the spell, the subjects revert to their normal behavior. Mindless undead do not get a saving throw.

Intelligent undead creatures remember that you controlled them.

Material Component
A small piece of bone and a small piece of raw meat.

Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like mass cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+2 points of damage per caster level (maximum 35d4+70).

Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass
Necromancy
Level: Clr 7

This spell functions like mass inflict light wounds, except that it deals 1d4+2 points of damage per caster level (maximum 35d4+70).

Regenerate
Necromancy (Healing)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

If used on a living creature, the subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.

Regenerate also cures 1d8+1 points of damage per caster level (maximum 35d8+35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead). If used on a corpse however, the body is completely restored in a simular manner. While it is not restored to life, the body is repaired fully enough that even a Raise Dead spell can be used to revive the subject.

Restoration, Greater
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it dispels all negative levels afflicting the healed creature. This effect also reverses level drains by a force or creature, restoring the creature to the highest level it had previously attained. The drained levels are restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is no more than one week per caster level.

Greater restoration also dispels all magical effects penalizing the creature’s abilities, cures all temporary ability damage, and restores all points permanently drained from all ability scores. It also eliminates fatigue and exhaustion, and removes all forms of insanity, confusion, and similar mental effects.

Material Component
A diamond worth a minimum of 500 gp.

Resurrection
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells.

You cannot resurrect someone who has died of old age. Constructs, elementals, and outsiders can’t be resurrected.

Material Component
A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 10,000 gp.

Sudden Death
Necromancy [Death]

You can slay any one living creature within range. The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw.

An undead creature targeted by this spell is effected as if by the heal spell.

Waves of Exhaustion
Necromancy
Target: All living creatures within range
Saving Throw: No

Waves of negative energy cause all living creatures in the spell’s area to become exhausted. This spell has no effect on a creature that is already exhausted.

8th-level Sorcerer and Wizard spells

Clone
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M, F
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: One clone

This spell makes an inert duplicate of a creature. If the original individual has been slain, its soul immediately transfers to the clone, creating a replacement (provided that the soul is free and willing to return). The original’s physical remains, should they still exist, become inert and cannot thereafter be restored to life. If the original creature has reached the end of its natural life span (that is, it has died of natural causes), any cloning attempt fails.

To create the duplicate, you must have a piece of flesh (not hair, nails, scales, or the like) with a volume of at least 1 cubic inch that was taken from the original creature’s living body. The piece of flesh need not be fresh, but it must be kept from rotting. Once the spell is cast, the duplicate must be grown in a laboratory for 2d4 months.

When the clone is completed, the original’s soul enters it immediately, if that creature is already dead. The clone is physically identical with the original and possesses the same personality and memories as the original. In other respects, treat the clone as if it were the original character raised from the dead, including the loss of one level or 2 points of Constitution (if the original was a 1st-level character). If this Constitution adjustment would give the clone a Constitution score of 0, the spell fails. If the original creature has lost levels since the flesh sample was taken and died at a lower level than the clone would otherwise be, the clone is one level below the level at which the original died.

The spell duplicates only the original’s body and mind, not its equipment.

A duplicate can be grown while the original still lives, or when the original soul is unavailable, but the resulting body is merely a soulless bit of inert flesh, which rots if not preserved.

Material Component
The piece of flesh and various laboratory supplies (cost 1,000 gp).

Focus
Special laboratory equipment (cost 500 gp).

Create Greater Undead
Necromancy

This spell functions like create undead, except that you can create more powerful and intelligent sorts of undead: shadows, wraiths, spectres, and devourers. The type or types of undead you can create is based on your caster level, as shown on the table below.

Caster Level Undead Created
15th or lower - Shadow
16th-17th - Wraith
18th-19th - Spectre
20th or higher - Devourer

Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
Conjuration (Healing)

This spell functions like mass cure light wounds, except that it cures 1d4+3 points of damage per caster level (maximum 40d4+120).

Death and Decay
Necromancy
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Targets: All living creatures in range.
Saving Throw: Fortitude half

Though the use of this spell, you harness the very essence of negative energy present in your surroundings, calling it to you, magnifying its power and then sending great waves of destructive power radiating away from you. The natural world itself recoils from the use of such magic, with plant life wilting under the wave of energy and small animals being drained into lifeless husks and turning to ash.

USe of this spell will automatically destroy all plant life and small or smaller animals and vermin of under 5 HD within the area of effect. In addition, roll 1d6 per caster level and total the result. Any creature with hit points below this score must make a Fortitude save or by automatically slain. If the creature succeeds on their saving throw, or has to high of hit points to be slain, it instead takes 1d6 points of negitive energy damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). This spell is especially devastating to water elementals and plant creatures, which instead take 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d8).

Undead in the radius of this spell are instead healed of 1d6 damage per caster level (maximum 20d6).

Martial Component
A black onyx gem worth at least 500 gp.

Inflict Critical Wounds, Mass
Necromancy

This spell functions like mass inflict light wounds, except that it deals 1d4+3 points of damage per caster level (maximum 40d4+120).

9th-level Sorcerer and Wizard spells

Astral Projection
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Targets: You plus one additional willing creature touched per two caster levels
Duration: See text

By freeing your spirit from your physical body, this spell allows you to project an astral body onto another plane altogether.

You can bring the astral forms of other willing creatures with you, provided that these subjects are linked in a circle with you at the time of the casting. These fellow travelers are dependent upon you and must accompany you at all times. If something happens to you during the journey, your companions are stranded wherever you left them.

You project your astral self onto the Astral Plane, leaving your physical body behind on the Material Plane in a state of suspended animation. The spell projects an astral copy of you and all you wear or carry onto the Astral Plane. Since the Astral Plane touches upon other planes, you can travel astrally to any of these other planes as you will. To enter one, you leave the Astral Plane, forming a new physical body (and equipment) on the plane of existence you have chosen to enter. When this spell is over (by any means) any copy of your equipment made during the duration of this spell disappears.

While you are on the Astral Plane, your astral body is connected at all times to your physical body by a silvery cord. If the cord is broken, you are killed, astrally and physically. Luckily, very few things can destroy a silver cord. When a second body is formed on a different plane, the incorporeal silvery cord remains invisibly attached to the new body. If the second body or the astral form is slain, the cord simply returns to your body where it rests on the Material Plane, thereby reviving it from its state of suspended animation. Although astral projections are able to function on the Astral Plane, their actions affect only creatures existing on the Astral Plane; a physical body must be materialized on other planes.

You and your companions may travel through the Astral Plane indefinitely. Your bodies simply wait behind in a state of suspended animation until you choose to return your spirits to them. The spell lasts until you desire to end it, or until it is terminated by some outside means, such as dispel magic cast upon either the physical body or the astral form, the breaking of the silver cord, or the destruction of your body back on the Material Plane (which kills you).

Material Component
A jacinth worth at least 1,000 gp, plus a silver bar worth 5 gp for each person to be affected.

Energy Drain
Necromancy
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text for enervation

This spell functions like enervation, except that the creature struck gains 2d4 negative levels, and the negative levels last longer.

There is no saving throw to avoid gaining the negative levels, but 24 hours after gaining them, the subject must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC = energy drain spell’s save DC) for each negative level. If the save succeeds, that negative level is removed. If it fails, the negative level also goes away, but one of the subject’s character levels is permanently drained.

An undead creature struck by the ray gains 1d6 temporary hit points per caster level (maximum 20d6) for 1 hour.

Harm, Mass
Necromancy
Level: Sorc/Wiz 9
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

This spell functions like heal, except as noted above. The maximum damage to each creature is 300.

Undead effected by this spell are treated as if they had mass heal cast on them.

Heal, Mass
Necromancy (Healing)
Level: Sorc/Wiz 9
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

This spell functions like heal, except as noted above. The maximum number of hit points restored to each creature is 300.

Undead effected by this spell are treated as if they had mass harm cast on them.

Raise City
Necromancy
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 10 hours
Range: Special
Target: Special

There are few spells more powerful in the necromancer's repertoire than this spell. This is the ultimate goal of many practitioners who do notquest soley for undeath themselves, the animation and control of an entire legion of undead ready to do their bidding. From the ruins of an small village, a town, a city, or metrpolis, you wwill cause skeletons to claw their way out of the ground, to rise up in perfect servitude to your every demand.

You must be upon the site of a ruined and deserted settlement to cast this spell successfully. Complete skeletons are not required for the use of this powerful spell (scattered dust and bone fragments are just fine, and reform into fully functional skeletons). Once cast, a number of skeletons will animate in accordance with the size of the settlement as it was when it was inhabnited. A small village will yield between 90-900 skeletons, a town between 1,400-12,000 skeletons, a city between 1,500-14,000, and a metropolis between 3,000-30,000. A destroyed skeleton cannot be reanimated again and once cast, this spell may never be cast again by any other caster within one mile of the same location for at least two hundred years.

Skeletons animated by this spell do not count against your normal limit of hit dice worth of undead.

Material COmponent
Ruined, deserted settlement and a collection of items from the settlement worth at least 1,000 gp. The items are consumed in the casting, but the settlement itself remains intact after the casting.

XP Cost: 1 XP per skeleton raised.

Soul Bind
Necromancy
Target: Corpse

You draw the soul from a newly dead body and imprison it in a black sapphire gem. The subject must have been dead no more than 1 minute per caster level. The soul, once trapped in the gem, cannot be returned through clone, raise dead, reincarnation, resurrection, true resurrection, or even a miracle or a wish. Only by destroying the gem or dispelling the spell on the gem can one free the soul (which is then still dead).

Focus
A black sapphire of at least 20,000 gp value.

True Resurrection
Necromancy (Healing)

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 25 years per caster level. This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed entirely, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased’s time and place of birth or death is the most common method).

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells.

This spell can also resurrect elementals or outsiders, but it can’t resurrect constructs.

True resurrection can't restore to life a creature who has died of old age.

Material Component
A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 25,000 gp.

Wail of the Banshee
Necromancy [Death, Sonic]
Components: V
Target: All living creatures within range

You emit a terrible scream that kills creatures that hear it (except for yourself). Creatures closest to the point of origin are affected first.

Also - sorry for any typos/messy typing. No glasses, plus numb brain tendz tia do thAT... -passes out on keyboard-... :smallbiggrin: Heh. Seriously though, ill clean it up a bit tommarrow.

lesser_minion
2009-07-21, 04:26 AM
I agree with lesser minion - I enjoy her idea of the Alter Self spell.

Anyway, sorry for not posting, bit busy irl. Ill still be checking in, just not as often. Sorry for the delay.

Well, I pretty much quoted that spell straight out of the 3.0 PHB (with one edit of my own), so you should really be giving Monte Cook, Skip Williams and Jonathon Tweet the credit.

PumpkinJack
2009-07-24, 11:12 AM
Having a permanent animated skeleton at 1st level seems a bit powerful to me.

PumpkinJack
2009-07-25, 09:15 PM
I've always had a gripe about Magic Jar, mainly because you can't tell what lifeforms you're sensing around you. It makes the idea of targetting a specific enemy rather difficult when you have no idea about the position or race of lifeforces you sense. You could be aiming for the 3HD guard in front of you but end up possessing the 1/2 HD groundhog 90 feet away in a field. Yes, it has advantages that Dominate Person doesn't have, but Dominate Person lasts longer, doesn't put the caster in jeopardy of bodily damage and death by dispelling, and doesn't have the chance of randomly possessing the wrong person. It looks like the necromancers are getting gyped here. Also, it would be cool to add a higher level possession spell (9th level?) that would allow for permanent soul exchange, even if it could be dispelled.

As a side note, I think Animate Dead needs clear rules on what a skeleton/zombie can be commanded to do. I had repeated arguments with my DM about how complex a skeleton command could be (i.e. conditionals, responding to specific stimuli, or just animal handling commands) and they would have been prevented by clear rules on the matter.

Another gripe--why was Darkness nerfed so badly? As it stands, Fog Cloud blows it away at the same spell level. Why would anyone use Darkness to obscure themselves when Fog Cloud can give them up to total concealment?

Last gripe--Sleep and Color Spray should be brought to the same level so that one isn't the clear choice over the other.

Eldan
2009-07-26, 05:22 AM
Perhaps one could enable the Magic Jarred creature to use other detection spells, like detect alignment to find how powerful the creatures outside are?

appending_doom
2009-07-26, 08:48 AM
First off, this looks like a good project. Good luck with it. I'll probably look at it in more depth later, but I've first got comments on your teleport.

Teleport
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Travel 5

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination, which may be as distant as 50 miles per caster level.

Teleport, Greater
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 7

This spell functions like teleport, except as follows. This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination which may be as distant as 100 miles per caster level. Interplanar travel is still not possible. Use the following chart to determine how well the teleportation works.

Now, I know that Enlarge Spell doesn't apply to this spell, as it's a touch spell, but I think the fact that a spell with a doubled range counts as 1 level higher should be taken into account when considering the range considerations of Greater Teleport. You definitely shouldn't have infinite range for +2 spell levels, but I think something like quadruple range (200 miles per level) might be appropriate for the +2 spell level.

Just my 2cp

Gnomo
2009-07-26, 09:35 PM
Has anybody checked how the spells got changed in Pathfinder? I believe many spells were nerfed.