PDA

View Full Version : I have a small theory...

pita
2009-07-14, 05:28 AM
I have a bit of a crackpot theory, but please bear with me.
So here's my theory.
I think that the Oracle is a Kobold.
To this I submit the following evidence:
1. I like Kobolds. I mean I really do. I own Races of the Dragon, which has in it Dragonborn, which are cool. But it also has Kobolds. And that made me think. Where else have I seen dragons? Sean Connery was a dragon, of course! And wasn't Sean Connery in a movie where people live forever unless their heads are cut off? And what else lives forever until you cut off their heads? Wizards! Now, Wizards are also a company that releases D&D, which reminded me that D&D means Deficit Disorder, which was also a line by Roy. And since Roy is black, I started thinking that maybe there are Kobolds in the OotS world.
2. In Start of Darkness, the Oracle mentioned that he wanted to get to 2nd base. Now, baseball is a fun game, but I've been thinking, and I may be taking this train of thought too far, but I think he meant base as in "All your base are belong to us." This was obviously an attempt to cheat in Starcraft, which has the Zerg, which are, as we know, somewhat like lizards. And Kobolds are like lizards. So I think that the Oracle is implying that he's a Kobold there, but he might just be referencing base jumping, which is fun because Batman does it.
3. The Oracle is yellow. The Simpsons are yellow. And I heard a joke about someone answering the phone and saying "Yellow". The Simpsons have a dog. I think that dog might be a kobold too. I think we've seen him. I think that might be the Oracle.
4. This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?" Now, I know that most people might think this means the creature a few pages before that, but I think if you look closely at what Roy says, it's clearly a Hydra. I know, the whole "Lots of heads, lots of eyes" thing confused me as well, but it could also be taken to imply that the Oracle is a Kobold, or a friggin' Kobold which is probably a subtype.
Anybody have a response? Please don't flame me I worked really hard on this kthx.

Tass
2009-07-14, 05:41 AM
Haha not bad.

BTW I think you're a lemming.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-14, 06:40 AM
Look out dan brown you have competition

Blackjackg
2009-07-14, 08:08 AM
Look out dan brown you have competition

Egads! And the comic entitled "Look More Closelier," a quote from a South Park episode spoofing Dan Brown, features Roy going down to haunt Haley and Belkar where he stays until... who dismisses him? Oh that's right! The Oracle! Spooky.

pita
2009-07-14, 08:13 AM
Exactly! There are hints all over the place!
You just have to have a keen mind and a keen eye, and some sort of willing suspension of disbelief.

Random832
2009-07-14, 08:55 AM
Although the name of the village "lickmyorangeballshalfling" is evidence to the contrary, as Kobolds would likely not have such parts exposed. Perhaps the Oracle is a Goblin of some sort - the 'orange' might imply a hobgoblin.

The fact that the village itself is populated with Kobolds, though, seems to contradict this theory. I think it's possible that the Kobold references you're referring to are just a case of Rule Of Funny, and that Rich really hasn't put much thought into what race the Oracle is.

This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?

You are accepting as credible a theory that came out of Belkar's mouth.

Linkavitch
2009-07-14, 09:18 AM
Woah...That's the most epic rendition of awesome randomness I've read in...three days, at least. you win a cookie.

pita
2009-07-14, 11:22 AM
Although the name of the village "lickmyorangeballshalfling" is evidence to the contrary, as Kobolds would likely not have such parts exposed. Perhaps the Oracle is a Goblin of some sort - the 'orange' might imply a hobgoblin.

The fact that the village itself is populated with Kobolds, though, seems to contradict this theory. I think it's possible that the Kobold references you're referring to are just a case of Rule Of Funny, and that Rich really hasn't put much thought into what race the Oracle is.

You are accepting as credible a theory that came out of Belkar's mouth.
Many good points...
However, I believe the rubber ducky to be a water dragon reference, and as everyone knows, dragons=awesome, hobgoblins=not awesome. Therefore, I don't think he's a hobgoblin.

Haggis
2009-07-14, 01:34 PM
Wait Rubber Duckie? That could be the clue I'm waiting for.

As we all know rubber duckies make bathtime fun and who proved that to us.

Ernie. Who's Orange. Now Ernie thinks rubber duckie is the one (and the oracle clearly agrees due to how protective he is). Hobgoblins are normally killed in great numbers by belkar, but kobold's have been known to face him one on one.

Finally who else has a rubber duckie and knows the future.

Beast wars megatron. Yessss.... (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Rubber_Ducky) And megatron is known to transform to T-rex (a large lizard) and a dragon.

Souhiro
2009-07-14, 03:06 PM
The oracle is just dead meat, waiting for Belkar Daggers to impale, smash and slash it.

[TS] Shadow
2009-07-14, 05:39 PM
Haha not bad.

BTW I think you're a lemming.

No, he's obviously bread. Have you seen his username?

Berserk Monk
2009-07-15, 12:07 AM
So here's my theory.
1. I like Kobolds. I mean I really do. I own Races of the Dragon, which has in it Dragonborn, which are cool. But it also has Kobolds. And that made me think. Where else have I seen dragons? Sean Connery was a dragon, of course! And wasn't Sean Connery in a movie where people live forever unless their heads are cut off? And what else lives forever until you cut off their heads? Wizards! Now, Wizards are also a company that releases D&D, which reminded me that D&D means Deficit Disorder, which was also a line by Roy. And since Roy is black, I started thinking that maybe there are Kobolds in the OotS world.
2. In Start of Darkness, the Oracle mentioned that he wanted to get to 2nd base. Now, baseball is a fun game, but I've been thinking, and I may be taking this train of thought too far, but I think he meant base as in "All your base are belong to us." This was obviously an attempt to cheat in Starcraft, which has the Zerg, which are, as we know, somewhat like lizards. And Kobolds are like lizards. So I think that the Oracle is implying that he's a Kobold there, but he might just be referencing base jumping, which is fun because Batman does it.
3. The Oracle is yellow. The Simpsons are yellow. And I heard a joke about someone answering the phone and saying "Yellow". The Simpsons have a dog. I think that dog might be a kobold too. I think we've seen him. I think that might be the Oracle.
4. This is either a huge hint, or a MAJOR red herring thrown our way by The Giant. When Belkar meets the Kobold he says "The All Seeing Oracle of Sunken Valley is a friggin' KOBOLD?" Now, I know that most people might think this means the creature a few pages before that, but I think if you look closely at what Roy says, it's clearly a Hydra. I know, the whole "Lots of heads, lots of eyes" thing confused me as well, but it could also be taken to imply that the Oracle is a Kobold, or a friggin' Kobold which is probably a subtype.
Anybody have a response? Please don't flame me I worked really hard on this kthx.

I think my IQ just dropped 10 points after reading that.

brionl
2009-07-15, 12:25 AM
My Theory, by A. Elk (that's A for Anne, not a Elk):
Dinosaurs were small on one end, much much bigger in the middle, then small on the other end.

pita
2009-07-15, 06:17 AM
I think my IQ just dropped 10 points after reading that.

My mission is accomplished.

ilcane87
2009-07-15, 06:33 AM
I think you're on to something.

rewinn
2009-07-15, 08:20 AM
I think you're on to something.

Too many words; should have been:

"I think you're on something"

Assassin89
2009-07-15, 08:26 AM
The oracle is just dead meat, waiting for Belkar Daggers to impale, smash and slash it.

And then the oracle is going to be ripped to shreds by a druid, and possibly killed permanently by the inhabitants of Mechanus who become annoyed by the Oracle's repeated attempts at cheating death.

ilcane87
2009-07-15, 12:02 PM
Too many words; should have been:

"I think you're on something"

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=%22I+think+you%27re+on+something%22&word2=%22I+think+you%27re+on+to+something%22

The internet says I'm right. :smalltongue:

Random832
2009-07-15, 12:33 PM

*whoosh*

^ Hear that? That's the sound of the joke flying right over your head.

Tenebrais
2009-07-15, 02:26 PM
My Theory, by A. Elk (that's A for Anne, not a Elk):
Dinosaurs were small on one end, much much bigger in the middle, then small on the other end.

That was specifically for the brontosaurus.

Optimystik
2009-07-15, 02:32 PM

...I think you should read what rewinn posted again...

Saknussem
2009-07-15, 02:48 PM
Remember though, that the characters, including Roy were almost certainly generated in the ADD system, and that ADD stands for ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER, which can, in some rare cases lead to sociopathic behavior. Thus, the thrust of the theory should be aimed at Belkar and raspberry bats are gliding out of my navel and making corduroy mojitos in my reclining blender. /twitch

ilcane87
2009-07-15, 03:57 PM
*whoosh*

^ Hear that? That's the sound of the joke flying right over your head.

...I think you should read what rewinn posted again...

I thought his post meant that my sentence wasn't gramatically correct, but there must be something I don't get 'cause english isn't my first language.

Care to point it out? I'm curious. :smallsmile:

Kish
2009-07-15, 04:06 PM
I thought his post meant that my sentence wasn't gramatically correct, but there must be something I don't get 'cause english isn't my first language.

"On to something"=you've got something.
"On something"=you've been using drugs.

Blackjackg
2009-07-15, 04:06 PM

In idiomatic English, to be "on something," means to be high on some kind of drug.

Blackjackg, explaining jokes 'til they're not funny anymore since '87.

ilcane87
2009-07-15, 04:22 PM
Heh, that makes sense, thanks Blackjackg and (ninja) Kish. :smallbiggrin:

Haven
2009-07-15, 04:38 PM
So here's my theory.

Excellent research. I have one more point:

5. He's really cute (http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2388/moongiftbn1.gif).

pita
2009-07-15, 04:44 PM
Unless that other dog was at 2nd base that's no real point.

Haven
2009-07-15, 04:52 PM
Oh, and I recall that I've used a similar methodology in defense of an equally controversial argument (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6034601&postcount=15) in the past.

Morgan Wick
2009-07-15, 08:22 PM
I'm shocked that no one has flamed the OP for missing the obvious and therefore himself missing the obvious yet. "Um, OF COURSE he's a kobold. It's RIGHT THERE ON THE PAGE. YOU YOURSELF MENTIONED BELKAR CALLING HIM A KOBOLD. IDIOT."

Random832
2009-07-15, 08:27 PM
We saw Belkar call him a Kobold, but I don't have any memory of the Oracle's appearance being shown on-page. I mean, it's a charming theory, but I think I would have remembered that. As it is, are you really going to take Belkar's word for it? :smallcool:

pita
2009-07-16, 07:01 AM
I'm shocked that no one has flamed the OP for missing the obvious and therefore himself missing the obvious yet. "Um, OF COURSE he's a kobold. It's RIGHT THERE ON THE PAGE. YOU YOURSELF MENTIONED BELKAR CALLING HIM A KOBOLD. IDIOT."

Dude, I think you're a moron.
I mean, seriously, it's not obvious at all. We know the Oracle is orange from hints, and we know that Belkar implied a certain Koboldism, but you do have to realize that Rust Dragons are also orange and that we can't trust Belkar.
Seriously.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-16, 12:45 PM
This thread is like someone played telephone inside their own head, wrote out the resultant dialogue, put it in a blender, and then posted the result.

..my mistake, that's actually the way House gets his diagnoses.

This is actually quite amusing. Does it qualify for an epileptic tree?

Random832
2009-07-16, 12:48 PM
This is actually quite amusing. Does it qualify for an epileptic tree?

Seconded; I think the theory that the Oracle is a Kobold definitely qualifies as an epileptic tree.

Although... the fact that Kobolds speak Draconic, and a dragon mentioned going to an oracle (it's not clear that it's the same oracle, though)... but, then, the dragon does speak common, since it was able to talk to V.

It's more likely that the dragon's oracle is a dragon, though. So, if we assume there's only one oracle, that means that the oracle that the OOTS went to see is a dragon.

Fact: Dragons are much cooler than Kobolds.

pita
2009-07-16, 02:00 PM
Well, the oracle does appear to have teeth, which are common amongst dragons...
You may have a point there.
But here's the real question: Does he floss?

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-07-16, 03:19 PM
I've got a theory, that it's a demon, a dancing demon. No, something isn't right there.

Aris Katsaris
2009-07-21, 04:37 AM
It could be witches. Some evil witches.

Trickywiggy
2009-07-21, 04:56 AM
I think we just found the plot for National Treasure 3

ZombieMaster
2009-07-21, 07:58 PM
It could be witches. Some evil witches.

Which is ridiculous, cause witches they were persecuted and Wicca good and love the earth and woman power and I'll be over here.

Acero
2009-07-21, 08:08 PM
it looks like a kobold. to me, its a kobold.

also, the oracle calls upon those 5 dragons, who then see the future. the oracle is just a middleman

Gorgondantess
2009-07-21, 08:12 PM
Nawww, the oracle can't be a kobold. You have some convincing arguments, but really in the end they are totally insubstantiated. He is obviously a half-dragon celestial mongoose. I mean, duh.:smalltongue: