PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Hate Furries?

kpenguin
2009-07-14, 06:37 AM
Why is there such a huge hate of furries?

As I understand it, the majority of the furry fandom consists of people who like fiction involving anthropomorphic animals, draw anhtrophomorphic animals, and cosplay as anhtropomorphic animals. Nothing that different than most geekdoms.

Apparently there's also a minority who are portrayed as the majority that have a fetish for anthropomorphic animals. Kinky, but still not enough for me to hate them. There are stranger and, frankly, more disgusting things to have a fetish about, in my opinion.

There are also the furries who really believe they're animal spirits or something like that. Odd, but not that different than a lot of other spiritual beliefs.

So... can anyone explain to me why furries receive so much hate and antipathy?

Dispozition
2009-07-14, 06:40 AM
Yiffing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom#Sexual_aspects) Link is SFW, only Wiki.

While obviously not all Furries do it, they all get associated with it. It's also seen to be a bit like beastiality which is obviously frowned upon...

Nameless
2009-07-14, 06:54 AM
Because people have nothing better to do then to take out their frustration on someone else’s sexual interest. It’s like with a lot of things really.
“Why do people hat Emo’s?” Is an another example.

Jayngfet
2009-07-14, 06:56 AM
Because people have nothing better to do then to take out their frustration on someone else’s sexual interest. It’s like with a lot of things really.
“Why do people hat Emo’s?” Is an another example.

There's a difference. The emo stereotype is much more FUN to hate than the furry one.

mercurymaline
2009-07-14, 07:02 AM
People who believe they have animal souls are slightly different than furries, called Otherkin or Therians. Some of these are also furries, but most furries actually thing they're crazy.

It's something that's considered odd by most people. The majority of people, upon seeing an episode of CSI about furries, will never have heard of them, so it makes for "fresh/interesting/morbid/whatever" TV. The over the top and stereotypical portrayal doesn't help. Because most people know nothing about the subculture other than the perverse sexual side of it they see on crime dramas, people with other kinks use furries as a group they can sneer at to feel less weird about themselves.

Edit:
@ Nameless: Furrydom is not just "sexual interest."
@ Jayngfet: Emos are such easy targets, though. Challenge yourself.

Nameless
2009-07-14, 07:11 AM
@ Nameless: Furrydom is not just "sexual interest."

True, but whenever someone talks about why they hate it, they seem to talk mainly about the sexual part of it.

Justyn
2009-07-14, 07:15 AM
It's something that's considered odd by most people. The majority of people, upon seeing an episode of CSI about furries, will never have heard of them, so it makes for "fresh/interesting/morbid/whatever" TV.

I know that this is off topic, but I wonder how many people ever notice that CSI never treats sex positively. NEVER. Even sex for purely procreative reasons has been treated as evil on the show (okay, they had the kid so that they could harvest her bone marrow, but that's beyond the point). I'll admit that I've havn't seen every episode, but I've never seen them treat it positively.

Jayngfet
2009-07-14, 07:17 AM
@ Jayngfet: Emos are such easy targets, though. Challenge yourself.

Eh, I only Attack emo's when the fish in the barrel no longer count as flat footed.

mercurymaline
2009-07-14, 07:19 AM
Eh, I only Attack emo's when the fish in the barrel no longer count as flat footed.

But their entire "culture" is self-perpetuated suffering. Persecuting them is giving them what they want. Hug them and tell them to have a great day; freaks them right out. Freaks most strangers right out, actually.

OverdrivePrime
Eh, lazy people like easy targets, and what looks like a convention of minor-league sports mascots with fantasy names and silly accents is about the easiest target anyone can ask for. Here's a group that is clearly different from the norm, both in interest and appearance, and has a strong deviant sexual behavior tied to it (unfairly or not). Make a joke about someone's mom and a dachshund with almost zero risk of a dangerous rebuttal, point and laugh, and hey, you get to feel better about yourself for five minutes. Yay humanity. :smallsigh:

Surfing HalfOrc
There's just a percentage of people who hate the fans of other stuff. That's the way it is...

Look at webcomics. Ctrl-Alt-Del is a decent, if not especially funny, webcomic, but there is a set of webcomic readers who absolutly despise CAD, and I've never really understood why.

Or Dominic Deegan. It's not a very good comic (IMO), and there is a group of people who mock it in true Mystery Science Theater 3000 fasion, and a group of people who really despise it.

Then there is professional sports, and college sports. I enjoy an afternoon of football every now and then, but people will absolutly scowl at you if you're wearing the "wrong" t-shirt.

And politics... Cheerleaders for one side or the other will absolutly rip on the "other side" at every turn. That's why I'm so glad discussing politics is forbidden here.

Human nature, and a dislike of those who are "different."

Nameless
2009-07-14, 07:24 AM
But their entire "culture" is self-perpetuated suffering. Persecuting them is giving them what they want. Hug them and tell them to have a great day; freaks them right out. Freaks most strangers right out, actually.

You're stereotyping and generalise them. Most Emos I've met are pretty happy and cool people. I don't particularly like anyone who's always depressed.
And Hating on them is pretty lame.

Telonius
2009-07-14, 07:24 AM
Monty Python's Flying Circus, season 1 episode 2, skit: "The Mouse Problem." (Though I doubt they realized they were prefiguring an actual subculture when they were just satirizing homosexuality). People think it's weird for some of the same reasons they think homosexuality is weird.

mercurymaline
2009-07-14, 07:38 AM
You're stereotyping and generalise them. Most Emos I've met are pretty happy and cool people. I don't particularly like anyone who's always depressed.

Conceded. When I say "emos" I don't mean fans of emocore music. I mean rich white kids who whine for no reason. Suppose there should be a different word for that.

Nameless
2009-07-14, 07:39 AM
Conceded. When I say "emos" I don't mean fans of emocore music. I mean rich white kids who whine for no reason. Suppose there should be a different word for that.

Annoying brats?

Ninja Chocobo
2009-07-14, 07:40 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del is a decent, if not especially funny, webcomic,

What? No, it's not.

Jack Squat
2009-07-14, 07:41 AM

You're not talking about emos. What you're going for would most likely be scene kids. The fashion is essentially the same, as they're both fueled by Hot Topic and the culture revolves around music, so it gets confusing. But by definition emos are at best "meh" emotionally, while generally gravitating towards "woe is me, my life sucks; now to hit up my upper-middle-class parents for money" They also tend to focus around the Emo music genre, while scene kids will listen to just about anything but country and rap; and go to pretty much every local concert.

I've known people from both groups, and the scene kids are much more fun to hang out with. If for no other reason than all the emo kids I knew talked so softly you couldn't hear them from over 5 feet away.

mercurymaline
2009-07-14, 07:42 AM
Annoying brats?

Well, in my day they were called goths, with is also another unfairly categorized music culture. Now people have taken the emocore culture and stuck that word on the same kids. In a few years it'll be some other word cribbed from an undeserving set.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-14, 07:56 AM
You're not talking about emos. What you're going for would most likely be scene kids. The fashion is essentially the same, as they're both fueled by Hot Topic and the culture revolves around music, so it gets confusing. But by definition emos are at best "meh" emotionally, while generally gravitating towards "woe is me, my life sucks; now to hit up my upper-middle-class parents for money" They also tend to focus around the Emo music genre, while scene kids will listen to just about anything but country and rap; and go to pretty much every local concert.

I've known people from both groups, and the scene kids are much more fun to hang out with. If for no other reason than all the emo kids I knew talked so softly you couldn't hear them from over 5 feet away.

Alright, what the frell is a scene kid? These must have evolved after I stopped going to concerts on a weekly basis. Googling the sub culture provides plenty evidence that raves did not - as I had previously thought - die out in the late 90's, and it seems that these cats universally do some pretty wild stuff with their hair and wear loud and vibrant colors. But is that it? What ties the subculture together other than fashion and bass?

Agamid
2009-07-14, 07:58 AM
i hate generalizing and labeling and this apparent obsession with both. Why can't we just be ourselves and not have to swear allegiance to some stereotype?
I identify myself as being Goth, but does that mean i have to be depressed, wear heaps of make-up and listen to Manson? or does that make me an emo? or maybe a scene kid? when people try and pigeonhole people it just seems to get messy and people get offended.
Stereotypes exist for a reason, because at least at some point a large % or at least a very visible % of that particular 'identity' conformed to the stereotype, but being apart of that 'identity' doesn't mean you conform to its stereotype and telling someone they aren't part of the 'identity' because they don't conform just rubs me all the wrong ways.

Now, in answer to the two questions that are flying about in this thread... i don't hate emos, but the vast majority of people i've met who identify themselves as emos i would happily punch in the face if i ever met them again - punch in the face and tell them to harden the **** up.
Furries, like emos, i don't hate them, but most of the furries i've met give me the creeps and gave me the creeps even before i knew they were furries.

Nameless
2009-07-14, 08:03 AM

You're wrong. I was talking about Emos. Scene kids been around since the 80's. the term "Scene Kids" just means a person who follows a fashion that's underground-ish and brings it into the pop-culture by manipulating and changing it or making it more fashionable. At the moment it's emo. (Although it's starting to die down)
If let's say, metal grew in popularity, you might get scene Metalers. It already happened in the 80's to Glam Metal.
Emos are not necessarily depressed or sad at all. It's just a music genre that developed into a fashion style.

mercurymaline
2009-07-14, 08:11 AM
I think the question now is: Have we answered the OP's question?

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-14, 08:15 AM

I must say I have never understood that; nor the extreme increase in teenage depression and suicide attempts in general.

What is it that makes extremely privileged young people so utterly depressed? I might be evil, but I think a large part of it is a total lack of any real problems. If they had to work 8 hours a day on a farm, they would not have the time to be depressed (and no, I am only sorta serious about this one).

As for furries, I think it is two things. That CSI episode, and the fact that they look ridiculous to us that are not into that culture. Now I am a geek, so I can appreciate a person dressed as a Klingon. Most people can't even do that.

Edit: Hmmm... maybe we are in the Matrix? Didn't Agent Smith say that the too-perfect version of the Matrix caused people t reject it...? That would explain the Emos... :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-14, 08:20 AM
I always kinda figured that it was standard operating procedure for society to come down on those that dare to wear their weirdness on their sleeves. Granted, a bad episode (which is something of a misnomer as it assumes there were ever good episodes) of CSI didn't help matters any.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-14, 08:22 AM
Unless you're like me and are a Cool Social Outcast.:smallamused:

Side affects may be random people whispering about you and your looks or random people asking if you have any cigs.(And I don't even smoke)

Jibar
2009-07-14, 08:24 AM
Look at webcomics. Ctrl-Alt-Del is a decent, if not especially funny, webcomic, but there is a set of webcomic readers who absolutly despise CAD, and I've never really understood why.

Why yes... I do wonder why. (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1636)

As for Furries, social minorities, easy targets, enforcement via media, grand conspiracy, Jibar's paranoid theories yada yada.

Jack Squat
2009-07-14, 08:48 AM
You're wrong. I was talking about Emos.

I'll admit that I could very well be wrong, I don't know who you're referring to. But I will say that I personally haven't ever met anyone who only listens to Panic at the Disco, MCR, All-American Rejects, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus exclusively who isn't depressed and self-loathing; while those who listen to these as well as the Wailers, Avenged Sevenfold, No Doubt, Blink 182, Molly Hatchet, etc. can actually be pretty fun to hang out with. Things may have changed since I left High School though.

Also, Glam(Hair) Metal wasn't really a scene thing. It was never really underground, and instead is kind of an extension of the already popular glam rock from the 70's. Now, an argument could be made that glam rock was brought to the forefront by then-scene kids (actually called glitter kids). And considering that the alternative was disco, I am very thankful for that. However, I'd say that your definition of scene kid is really just labeling them as posers.

We may be working with different definitions of the groups, and while I will say that I know not all emos are the ones that self mutilate themselves, they're not a happy group, and portray themselves as outcasts of society.

The term for the teenagers who listen emocore is emo kids. The society thinks about them as failures; they are not strong enough to hide their emotions, they're sensitive, shy, introverted, and often quiet. Usually, Emo kids like to express their feeling writing poems about their problems with depression, confusion, and anger; all because the world fails to understand them...Altough life is already very hard for them, emo kids have to suffer for even more society prosecution because of their condition. The term 'emo' itself is used nowadays as an insult. Adressed to a person means they are 'overly emotional'. Emocore is compared with pop boy bands of 1990s. Critics cast the music as lacking any artistic merit and that the fashion is just ... a fashion used to drive girls attention. The ones who are emo not because they feel it, but because they like to be trendy are named 'posers'. A big percent of the current emo subculture is formed by posers.

Scene kids are on the surface basically just emo kids. But don't day that to their face, they don't like it. The main difference between emos and scene kids is that, scene kids tend to care more about their appearance than their actual emotions; a major faux pas in the emo community. Scene kids are a lot less depressed and a lot more...neon.

Appearance wise scene kids are very similar to emos, but attitude wise they couldn't be more different. Scene kids go out of their way to appear to be adorable. They show how adorable they are by worshipping Hello Kitty (arguably the most loveable mouth less cartoon cat ever) making obscure references to ninjas, and roaring at people for no obvious reason...RAWR. Scene kids also have a dictionary that the majority of people do not have access to. They can be quite difficult to understand at times, but usually you can work out what information they are trying to convey by sounding out the word to recognise them phonetically.

From here (http://www.luv-emo.com/)

banthesun
2009-07-14, 08:59 AM
I didn't want this topic to go by without this (http://xkcd.com/471/)

Nameless
2009-07-14, 08:59 AM
Also, Glam(Hair) Metal wasn't really a scene thing. It was never really underground, and instead is kind of an extension of the already popular glam rock from the 70's. Now, an argument could be made that glam rock was brought to the forefront by then-scene kids (actually called glitter kids). And considering that the alternative was disco, I am very thankful for that. However, I'd say that your definition of scene kid is really just labeling them as posers.

Hold on, Glam Metal was underground before the 80's. It was only when Van Halen grew in popularity that Glam did. When this happened, and people who weren't into Metal started to follow up on the scene (Such as Scene Kids) that for the first time in history did any of the Metal scenes become mainstream.
Glam Metal (Originaly called Teeth Metal) has very little to do with Glam Rock.

We may be working with different definitions of the groups, and while I will say that I know not all emos are the ones that self mutilate themselves, they're not a happy group, and portray themselves as outcasts of society.

This is totally wrong. It's like saying all Goths worship Satan or Metal Heads are Angry. Emo means Emotional. The music that evolved from punk was a had a lot of emotion in it, mainly negative emotions but also happy ones.
However, when it evolved into a fashion, it didn't mean that all Emo kids are sad or depressed as well. Just because most Thrash Metal is aggressive doesn't mean all Thrash Metalers are aggressive too. It was just an aesthetic fashion to go with the music.

valadil
2009-07-14, 09:15 AM
Any bias I have or ever have had towards furries can be traced back to Something Positive (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp03292003.shtml). Actually that's not true. I was also biased by the first furry I ever met. He yelled at me and insulted my intelligence for not knowing furry terminology. I think he thought I was ignorant because I didn't spend time on IRC discussing the noises animals make during sex. He gave me the bad impression that that's what furries do and insulted me for not participating. The experience was bad enough that I didn't want to deal with other furries (at least on the topic of their fur-dom) for quite some time. I've since met other furries who seem like decent enough people, but I'm still squicked out by the sexual side of a very small portion of furries.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-07-14, 09:23 AM
What is it that makes extremely privileged young people so utterly depressed? I might be evil, but I think a large part of it is a total lack of any real problems.

Physical problems? No; I've never had to go hungry in my life. But in terms of psychological problems I've got enough bollocks kicking around my head for five or so 'normal' people. Would they still be there if I'd had to work twelve hard hours a day? Quite possibly not, but they're here now and there's bugger-all I can do about them.

But yeah the sort who are all "My mum grounded me you don't understand my pain" can sod right off.

reorith
2009-07-14, 09:24 AM
{scrubbed}

bosssmiley
2009-07-14, 09:42 AM
People hate on Furries because (like certain militant gays (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tatchell), or other single issues identity politics idiots) an annoying minority simply will not shut up about their kink. Unfortunately these 'loud and proud', in-yer-face head cases attract attention (and mockery, and ire) and thereby ruin it for the nice quiet folks.

"Yes, we know you exist. We're over it. Now get over yourself. No, we do not want to see your weird fetish comic, or hear about the details of your kink. Shut up and stop spooking the muggles!" :smallannoyed:

Emo? That's just what happens when a bunch of feminised boy-eunuchs try to do indie-rock. I blame Coldplay, Muse and My Placebo Tribute Band Chemical Romance for failing to understand camp and thereby making androgyny sappy. Bolan and Bowie laugh! :smallamused:

snoopy13a
2009-07-14, 10:01 AM
Why is there such a huge hate of furries?

As I understand it, the majority of the furry fandom consists of people who like fiction involving anthropomorphic animals, draw anhtrophomorphic animals, and cosplay as anhtropomorphic animals. Nothing that different than most geekdoms.

Apparently there's also a minority who are portrayed as the majority that have a fetish for anthropomorphic animals. Kinky, but still not enough for me to hate them. There are stranger and, frankly, more disgusting things to have a fetish about, in my opinion.

There are also the furries who really believe they're animal spirits or something like that. Odd, but not that different than a lot of other spiritual beliefs.

So... can anyone explain to me why furries receive so much hate and antipathy?

Actually, most people don't care. If you were to ask people on the street what they thought of "furries", most people would reply: "What are you talking about?"

Pyrian
2009-07-14, 10:15 AM
Furries annoy me because they travel in huge groups and periodically invade websites I used to like and bury them in massive quantities of furdom until there's no reason for a non-furry to return there any more. :smallmad:

Coidzor
2009-07-14, 10:23 AM
They're like one of those groups where one might not be so bad unless they're a major ass. But if you get a group of them together, the ability to annoy, alienate, and potentially become violent rises exponentially. Mostly it's the whole, alienating others because they no longer "have to pass" or whatever.

Sort of like if a certain number of members of a forum start to act like Anonymous, but without the violent part due to not being in real life, instead being translated into petty acts of cyber vandalism.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-14, 10:25 AM
"The image “http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/aversion_fads.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors."

Care to sum up?

Serpentine
2009-07-14, 10:26 AM
My understanding of emos is that they wear "depression" like a fashion item. That bugs me. But I've never met one *shrug* (sort of related note: skinny jeans don't look very good :smallyuk:)

On Furries: The yiffing thing's a bit icky, but other than that... sneh. Whatever. I like some of the art, and my favourite (well, only...) erotic fiction is described in "FurryWiki".

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-14, 10:32 AM
From personal experience I've found that outside of the online world, I've experienced very little furry hate. Granted, I don't go around with ears and a tail all the time, but I do have a coat that has been customized and I usually receive compliments on it. The same goes for my "furry" hat.

(llama jacket below spoiler)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/llamajack.jpg

As for why there is the hatred, well, we don't have very widespread PR. If people have heard of us, its probably because of CSI or like the example Valadil used, one person created a negative first impression. Much like any sub-culture or group, the moderate members or even the good members don't receive much media attention, nor do they make much of an impression, because well, its just not that attention getting. Of the thousands of plane flights a day that take off and land successfuly every month, its the one crash that the news reports and make people afraid to fly.

H. Zee
2009-07-14, 10:34 AM
Because they're different from the widely-accepted norm. Might as well ask "Why do [any racial or social minority] get hate?" And the answer is always the same: "Human nature."

Quincunx
2009-07-14, 10:34 AM
"I don't. . .but. . ." is a grammatical construct that ought to be banned under the No Politics rule.

Jack Squat
2009-07-14, 10:47 AM
Hold on, Glam Metal was underground before the 80's. It was only when Van Halen grew in popularity that Glam did. When this happened, and people who weren't into Metal started to follow up on the scene (Such as Scene Kids) that for the first time in history did any of the Metal scenes become mainstream.
Glam Metal (Originaly called Teeth Metal) has very little to do with Glam Rock.

Glam (Hair) Metal grew out of glam rock in at the very least appearance. If you mark the rise of Van Halen as the start of popularity, that was in 1978, and they've been around since 1972. Even then, Van Halen's classified as hard rock, not hair metal. The rise of Hair metal has been attributed to Motley Crue and Quiet Riot. in the early 80s. I should note that Quiet Riot has been around since the 70's and that their big hair metal hit, *** on Feel the Noize, is infact a cover of the glam rock band Slade.

I've never heard the term teeth metal before, and it really just seems like something people created after the fact because they wanted to label everything. The only source I'm seeing on this is from vh1, and I'm dissapointed because for a music channel, it's really not too accurate. For one, MTV's popularization of the term "Hair metal/band" wasn't until the 90's. For another, they seem to only recognize the later section of hair metal, which was bands like Poison, Europe, Firehouse, etc. while dismissing bands like Ratt, W.A.S.P., and Quiet Riot, who had a completely different style about them.

This is totally wrong. It's like saying all Goths worship Satan or Metal Heads are Angry. Emo means Emotional. The music that evolved from punk was a had a lot of emotion in it, mainly negative emotions but also happy ones.
However, when it evolved into a fashion, it didn't mean that all Emo kids are sad or depressed as well. Just because most Thrash Metal is aggressive doesn't mean all Thrash Metalers are aggressive too. It was just an aesthetic fashion to go with the music.

Emo doesn't mean emotional. It's a shorthand for emotive rock, later called emocore. I also wouldn't say that it evolved into a fashion, but rather a culture. It was people who associated themselves with the music and the feelings expressed in it, which you say yourself are mostly negative. If you read the excerpt I placed, it's quite clear there are those who associate themselves with the term who define themselves as outcasts because they "express their emotions". I included the point where it calls others who go for the fashion, but who do not connect to the music, posers. I don't neccessarily agree (and I refuse to fit neatly into a labeled category myself), but if nothing else it shows a viewpoint from within the culture.

Everything I posted matches what is the general experience from when I was in high school 2 years ago, at where I was and the surrounding areas. Your experience may differ.

So far as Goths worshiping Satan or Thrash Metalers being aggressive; I've met ones who do fit those categories, though they are in the far minority (and I would say they were attracted to the music because of their traits rather than the other way around). As I stated before, from my experiences I have not met one self-classified emo kid who was the least bit jovial. Everyone who followed the fashion but not the attitude I've described was very clear to associate with the scene mentality and would greatly oppose the classification of emo; again, your experiences may vary as a lot can change in 2 years and in differing locations.

If it makes you feel any better though, my school did seem to stick annoyingly to stereotypes for every group save jocks (though we did have people who did fit the stereotype). All the rednecks wore carhartts or real tree and drove trucks/jeeps, all the cheerleaders were complete airheads, all the nerds played magic/yu-gi-oh and didn't really have outside social skills, the guys into rap all wore sagging pants, unlaces shoes, and shirts 2 sizes too big...

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-14, 10:52 AM
They're like one of those groups where one might not be so bad unless they're a major ass. But if you get a group of them together, the ability to annoy, alienate, and potentially become violent rises exponentially. Mostly it's the whole, alienating others because they no longer "have to pass" or whatever.

Sort of like if a certain number of members of a forum start to act like Anonymous, but without the violent part due to not being in real life, instead being translated into petty acts of cyber vandalism.

Potentially violent?? Furries?? I'm never met a more hugging-based gathering of people in my life, except for the GITP meet-ups. Given the number of wolves and foxes in the fandom, I can see the misunderstanding, but they aren't as violent as you'd think, given the choice of animals many choose to represent.

T-O-E
2009-07-14, 10:54 AM

That is just awful.

Coidzor
2009-07-14, 11:00 AM
Potentially violent?? Furries?? I'm never met a more hugging-based gathering of people in my life, except for the GITP meet-ups. Given the number of wolves and foxes in the fandom, I can see the misunderstanding, but they aren't as violent as you'd think, given the choice of animals many choose to represent.

Of the ones I've known personally, the majority had anger and victimization issues. Of the ones I've encountered that hate their own skin and have to wear a mask, this trend spikes.

I don't like those who prefer a mask to their own face at the best of times. I really hate them when they're in a group and therefore a bigger threat.

Nameless
2009-07-14, 11:26 AM
Glam (Hair) Metal grew out of glam rock in at the very least appearance. If you mark the rise of Van Halen as the start of popularity, that was in 1978, and they've been around since 1972. Even then, Van Halen's classified as hard rock, not hair metal. The rise of Hair metal has been attributed to Motley Crue and Quiet Riot. in the early 80s. I should note that Quiet Riot has been around since the 70's and that their big hair metal hit, *** on Feel the Noize, is infact a cover of the glam rock band Slade.

No, Van Halen are pretty much early glam in a nutshell although they most likely started as a Hard Rock band. It's true that they were around before the 1980, but 1980 was the year Van Halen got reaaally popular, followed by other bands like Motely Crue. In 1978, punk was just dying out and metal was coming back with the British Heavy Metal Scene. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon were all becoming popular amongst the underground music scene.
I remember my dad telling me about 1980 and how metal grew so much that year.

I've never heard the term teeth metal before, and it really just seems like something people created after the fact because they wanted to label everything. The only source I'm seeing on this is from vh1, and I'm dissapointed because for a music channel, it's really not too accurate. For one, MTV's popularization of the term "Hair metal/band" wasn't until the 90's. For another, they seem to only recognize the later section of hair metal, which was bands like Poison, Europe, Firehouse, etc. while dismissing bands like Ratt, W.A.S.P., and Quiet Riot, who had a completely different style about them.

It was called Teeth Metal because they would smile a lot more then other metal bands at the time... Or something stupid like that.
I think you'll find that MTV started in 1981, and they were partly the reason Glam got so popular. Van Halen were one of the first bands they interviewed I believe.

Also, you could argue this but quiet riot were most definitely NOT glam metal. There sound, their image… None of it fits into Glam. I could even argue that Motely Crue aren’t exactly Glam.

Emo doesn't mean emotional. It's a shorthand for emotive rock, later called emocore. I also wouldn't say that it evolved into a fashion, but rather a culture. It was people who associated themselves with the music and the feelings expressed in it, which you say yourself are mostly negative. If you read the excerpt I placed, it's quite clear there are those who associate themselves with the term who define themselves as outcasts because they "express their emotions". I included the point where it calls others who go for the fashion, but who do not connect to the music, posers. I don't neccessarily agree (and I refuse to fit neatly into a labeled category myself), but if nothing else it shows a viewpoint from within the culture.

Emotive and emotional have almost the same meanings. You wouldn't be wrong in saying either one, a lot of people say emotional rock, rather then emotive rock.
It evolved into a sub-culture actually, like most modern music genre's do.
Emo like most sub-cultures has evolved and changed, so it's not so much about being depressed as mush as it used to be. It now refers to all emotions, rather then just sadness or depression.

Mx.Silver
2009-07-14, 11:28 AM
I must say I have never understood that; nor the extreme increase in teenage depression and suicide attempts in general.
The increase isn't actually that extreme (in Britain anyway, don't know about Sweden), it's just it gets more public attention than it used to.

What is it that makes extremely privileged young people so utterly depressed? I might be evil, but I think a large part of it is a total lack of any real problems.
Despression rates are not linked with a higher social class. It's at least as common among the poorer elements of society as it is amongst the richer ones.

If they had to work 8 hours a day on a farm, they would not have the time to be depressed (and no, I am only sorta serious about this one).
Farm workers have a markedly higher rate of suicide than most other proffessions so maybe that might not be a terribly great idea.

Rutskarn
2009-07-14, 11:37 AM
I agree with the people saying, "It's because it's a little creepy to most, and because a militant minority ruins it for the rest."

For example, on the Twenty Sided servers I administrate, there was a guy who kept putting up sprays of a...well, let's just say it wasn't pleasant. I don't really want to paint you a picture. Suffice it to say, even if the furry element was removed, the spray would not be allowed.

We asked him, politely, to remove his spray...at which point he changed his name to GAY FURRY PRIDE and called us all bigots. At that point, I IP banned him.

Look, guy, I don't walk around the server talking about my sexual preferences either. Just because yours are exotic doesn't mean you have special privileges.

Of course, this is also the server where I got called immature for banning a guy when he put up a photograph of his penis. I guess some people have different tolerances.

(EDIT: Note that I wouldn't have banned him if he had removed his spray. The name part was just a facet of his belligerence.)

(EDIT PART DEUX: And technically, it wasn't even homosexual pornography, per se. It could have been...you know, I think I'm not gonna touch this one.)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-14, 11:47 AM
Of the ones I've known personally, the majority had anger and victimization issues. Of the ones I've encountered that hate their own skin and have to wear a mask, this trend spikes.

Hmmm....interesting. It sounds like you are describing the theranthropes, which is a sub-section of a sub-culture, that while I know a couple therans, I don't know much about them or even the proper spelling of Theranthrope. I've never met one with anger or victimization issues, though. Which isn't to say that they aren't out there, just that we've happened to have different experiences in life.

I don't like those who prefer a mask to their own face at the best of times. I really hate them when they're in a group and therefore a bigger threat.[/

Your dislike of furries is that many wear costumes?? Or that the ones you've met have anger issues and that makes you cautious? I'm confused.

Solaris
2009-07-14, 12:26 PM
I really don't know much about the furry subculture, nor does much of the American mainstream. Like a lot of others said, I think it's just the episode of CSI that got 'em into the squickdar.

The increase isn't actually that extreme (in Britain anyway, don't know about Sweden), it's just it gets more public attention than it used to.
Eh. It's getting popular in America, which means people who would've been classed as "Teen Angst" in previous years are now being treated as "Mentally Ill". I'm not a doctor, but I have seen the end result of the psychology industry lowering its standards for diseases like depression. Basically, it's a self-creating problem - someone goes into what twenty years ago was a normal reaction to grief, they're called sick. They get drugged, they get a therapist putting in their head the idea that they're sick in the head. Cue vicious cycle.

Despression rates are not linked with a higher social class. It's at least as common among the poorer elements of society as it is amongst the richer ones.
Eh. The lower class has a reason. For the upper class who has everything? They need to learn to suck it up. Unless you can really point to a reason these Emos have to be outcast (that isn't of their doing) then I stand by my policy of verbal and emotional abuse to toughen the pukes up. I even got one to join the Army. Heheh.

Farm workers have a markedly higher rate of suicide than most other proffessions so maybe that might not be a terribly great idea.
Ooh, you mean we can get the privledged punks to wipe themselves out? Now that's something I can get behind!
(I kid, I kid... mostly.)

SDF
2009-07-14, 12:27 PM
Emo like most sub-cultures has evolved and changed, so it's not so much about being depressed as mush as it used to be. It now refers to all emotions, rather then just sadness or depression.

It never began as anything to do with being depressed, though. That was the new wave emo junk that started in the early 2000's. It was originally just a type of hardcore punk scene. That's always been the emo I liked.

As for the furry thing, I think the fetish is strange and the sexual aspect of it is kind of gross. But, I don't really care all that much as long as I don't really have to deal with it too much. Like, if I saw someone working at a coffee shop wearing a giant wolf costume it would make my day. If I took a cruise the same time as a furry convention I would be mad as hell.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-14, 12:40 PM
Apparently there's also a minority who are portrayed as the majority that have a fetish for anthropomorphic animals.
As far as I know, this is not a minority, as the local Furgroup I went to once to all have this particular kink, aside from my best friend, Koko.
Yes, I am kinda a semi-furry, in that I have a fursona.

I think what bothers most people is that it is almost entirely a sexual culture. Not necessarily that they like yiff, but that they're just very...sexual. A good portion of furries are homosexual, and, like said before me, very militant about it.
90% of the furries I've met are very, very open about their homosexualfurdom, to the point that it comes up in most conversations, and its nearly impossible to have a real face-to-face talk with them.

Nameless
2009-07-14, 12:41 PM
It never began as anything to do with being depressed, though. That was the new wave emo junk that started in the early 2000's. It was originally just a type of hardcore punk scene. That's always been the emo I liked.

Actually, the early Emo stuff was a very toned down version of punk with sort of whiny sad lyrics.
The modern Emo stuff is far more up-beat then the original stuff.

Coidzor
2009-07-14, 12:44 PM
Your dislike of furries is that many wear costumes?? Or that the ones you've met have anger issues and that makes you cautious? I'm confused.

I distrust those who wear masks in general, just part of my instincts and why I am creeped out by clowns and their masks which aren't masks. I get palpably uneasy at the thought of being around a group of people wearing masks, especially when I associate them with anger issues and a seething resentment of muggles.

Because, honestly, anyone who actually starts to wear a fursuit has crossed, in my perception, the line into severe sexual deviance and rejection of social mores.

Also the eyes of those fursuits... the eyes... Ye Gods Man, the eyes...:eek:

And if I can't tell they're furries well, then odds are there's not going to be any issues that I can foresee. Since, y'know, they'd look like any other group of boring, mostly white, people I would encounter.

The weirdest thing is when racism crops up in furdom. :smallconfused: Like some kind of belief that black people can't be furries that my roommate my freshman year of university kept running into...

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-14, 12:53 PM
Hold on, Glam Metal was underground before the 80's. It was only when Van Halen grew in popularity that Glam did.

I Don't know what your definition of Glam Metal (Glam Rock) is, but maybe you have heard of these bands? Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Kiss, New York Dolls, Sweet, Slade, Mott the Hoople, T.Rex, Gary Glitter...

Not exactly Underground.

Ganurath
2009-07-14, 12:56 PM
*reads thread*

Huh. And here I thought it started with childhood brainwashing caused by Blue Submarine #6 on Toonami making people think anthropes were going to wipe out humanity. I suppose humans being humans and loud minorities of a subculture being loud provides an explanation as well.

Avilan the Grey
2009-07-14, 01:03 PM

The phenomenon of girls cutting themselves was unknown until about 10 years ago. Anorexia and Bulimia grows quickly. Suicide rates are up 5% or more. Luckily we have had no school shootings (yet) but Finland have had two so far. Other problems that might be connected are a large group of teenage girls that prostitute themselves to be able to buy things like cellphones, brand clothing and bags etc.

The only noticable difference that can be pointed out from things like interviews compared to "before" is that kids in general seem to be much more stressed about school. And yet the biggest problem with school is that it is not as tough as it used to be; in fact it is easer than ever to get good grades.
If I would hazard a guess, as an uneducated man, it's the peer pressure. With cell phones, facebook, myspace, twitter, you can never hide. If you are picked on in school, you are now picked on 24/7. Rumours that used to stay in class, is now spread nation wide in 10 minutes.

Lappy9000
2009-07-14, 01:05 PM
I don't hate the furries. I hate what they do, and in my mind the extreme version is the same as beastiality. Hate thy sin, love thy sinner and whatnot.

Plus, I would also add in that if you draw a extremely sexual furry creation on DeviantART, please, please put it under the "Mature" tags so that I can filter it out when I do a search for art :smallsigh:
(Of course, that applies to a lot of things)

I would also like to remind everyone that a free opinion includes both being for furrydom and being against it.

FdL
2009-07-14, 01:11 PM
i hate generalizing and labeling and this apparent obsession with both. Why can't we just be ourselves and not have to swear allegiance to some stereotype?

This.

Somehow, though, people pigeonhole themselves, which is the exact opposite to the supposed "search for an identity" they're allegedly doing.

People should just be themselves instead of choosing from a pre-defined "menu" on how to dress, what to listen to and who to hang out with.

Granted, it's harder learning to be yourself instead of being a zombie drone.

Furries don't annoy me per se, but as a community, I feel they spur each other too much into it...I also have an impression that it's a bit childish overall. So taking something that is childish in nature and making of it an obsession...well, I think it can lead to very weird things.

Edit: I also think the term "scene kids" or "scene X" is stupid. It refers to a scene without specifically naming it. So it should be understood as if there's a single all-comprising SCENE to which they belong (which is a lie), or that anyone belonging to any "scene" is a "scene kid" (which is a lie too, if you're part of the reggae scene, I doubt you'd be considered a "scene kid")

Nameless
2009-07-14, 01:12 PM
I Don't know what your definition of Glam Metal (Glam Rock) is, but maybe you have heard of these bands? Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Kiss, New York Dolls, Sweet, Slade, Mott the Hoople, T.Rex, Gary Glitter...

Not exactly Underground.

Alice Cooper wasn’t glam, Aerosmith weren't Glam metal either, neither was Sweet, or KISS, Or T Rex.
I think you're mixing up Glam Rock with Glam Metal, they're two different genres.

Alice Cooper was/were Shock Rock/Heavy Metal, Aerosmith were Hard Rock, The Sweet were Glam rock, KISS were heavy Metal (Before the 80's) and T. Rex were also Glam Rock.

zeratul
2009-07-14, 01:15 PM

Nono, scene kids are far worse than even the stereotypical emos. Although hot, the combination of prep, emo, and crunkcore is absolutely revolting. It's basically people with the same attitudes as the rich holister/american eagle kids but who dress like emos and listen to really bad music.

Volug
2009-07-14, 01:16 PM
What I see here is just the fact that if you are a furry, in one way or another you will be flamed trolled ect by furry haters. And a lot of them should really just take up ranks in "Ignore" instead whine and cry which gets on my nerves a lot. Some of them even act surprised... If you decide to call yourself furry and people know about it, prepare to be stereotyped. I'm stereotyped as well for other different reasons and ignoring it all makes it all seem so... Distant, no longer does it bug me.

I of course hate all the mature aspects of this fandom or "hobby" some call it. If it's just clean stuff, a fan of anthro characters, or just general PG (some PG 13) rated RP that's totally fine by me.

Also leads me that in the end a furry's worst enemy is always another furry due to lol drama or something else.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-14, 01:18 PM
Also leads me that in the end a furry's worst enemy is always another furry due to lol drama or something else.

OH GAWDS, the drama.
The group 'round here fights about everything.
Every stupid little thing.

Its like highschool, but scarier.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-14, 01:24 PM
OH GAWDS, the drama.

Call me strange, but I think the drama I had to witness in high school would've been improved by sticking the dramatists in fur suits...

Innis Cabal
2009-07-14, 01:24 PM

Welcome to the jungle? One might say?

My question is, whats the difference between a neko girl and a furry? What makes one ok and the other disgusting?

Nameless
2009-07-14, 01:27 PM
OH GAWDS, the drama.

I was a person that tryed to stay away from it, but it seems the more I backed away, the more I was dragged in. :smalleek:

Jibar
2009-07-14, 01:33 PM
My question is, whats the difference between a neko girl and a furry? What makes one ok and the other disgusting?

I'm actually kinda curious, just because this thread and my cat ears have got me curious if anyone ever thought I was a furry.

Ganurath
2009-07-14, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the jungle? One might say?

My question is, whats the difference between a neko girl and a furry? What makes one ok and the other disgusting?If I had to guess, I think it's because the neko girl only has animal additions to the human form, while a furry replaces human elements with those of animals. The most relevant in this case being the face.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-14, 01:35 PM
I always just chalked it up to closeness to the mainstream norm. Anime is closer to the mainstream these days than furdom is, so some of the weirdness doesn't get as noticed. Though Gan makes a good point too.

Pyrian
2009-07-14, 01:38 PM
I'm actually kinda curious, just because this thread and my cat ears have got me curious if anyone ever thought I was a furry.No, I thought you were a muffiny. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2009-07-14, 01:38 PM
No, I thought you were a muffiny. :smallbiggrin:

This. :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2009-07-14, 01:39 PM
If I had to guess, I think it's because the neko girl only has animal additions to the human form, while a furry replaces human elements with those of animals. The most relevant in this case being the face.

So are you saying it has something to do with human facial recognition? Its alright to add a tail or paws to the hands and feet or just ears, but its something inherent in the face that makes furries more...off putting for most?

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-14, 01:40 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This is really just not appropriate for this Forum. Between the sexuality, fetishism, politics, and such, it's just not. Thread locked.