PDA

View Full Version : Abusing Planer Ally

Da Pwnzlord
2009-07-14, 06:50 AM
What ways are there to assure that the called creature will accept your deal, no matter how outlandish? (Short of offering your soul, that is) Simply casting Eagle's Splendor on myself doesn't seem to cut it. I think I remember seeing a guide to this, but my search turned up nothing.

Jack_Simth
2009-07-14, 07:01 AM
Planar Ally, or Planar Binding?

With Planar Ally (Divine), you're hiring one of your deity's servants (type of the deity's - DM's - choice) to do some work for you. The pay scale is listed in the spell description, and includes most of the things your deity would approve of. If you do come up with something to trick them into doing something they wouldn't for any amount of money (equivalent), it's likely a bad idea because you're beholden to your deity.

With Planar Binding (Arcane), you're trapping an extraplanar being (type of your choice), and basically bullying it (or maybe paying it, if you so choose) to do some work for you to get out of the trap. For that, you've got an opposed Charisma check (with modifiers). Things that improve your odds?
Cloak of Charisma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofCharisma)
Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion)
Luckstone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#stoneofGoodLuckLuckstone)
Eagle's Splendor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/eaglesSplendor.htm)
(and the granddaddy of them all) Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm)
Plus a few others in there I'm sure I missed. Do note that not quite all of these stack.

Cyclocone
2009-07-14, 07:10 AM
Mind Rape.

That being said, Treanmonk's excellent guide to Mastering the Malconvoker, (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=918792) has a nice sub-guide to dominating a succubus, and most of the advice should be generally applicable.

Jack_Simth
2009-07-14, 07:17 AM
Oh, yes; there's also Dominate Monster, Charm Monster, Programmed Amnesia (Spell Compendium, I believe it was), and Mind Rape (Book of Vile Darkness, I believe it was). But that's not getting them to accept the deal, so much as more forcefully bullying.

riddles
2009-07-14, 07:20 AM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=918792

mastering the malconvoker. has some good tips.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-07-14, 07:22 AM
yeah, sorry, I meant Planer Binding. I always mix those two up. :smallannoyed:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 11:32 AM
Debuffing, buffing, and mind control. Enervation applies a -1 penalty per neg level, Bestow Curse reduces their cha even further, Bestow Curse cuts ability checks. Stack enough of those, and even a Succubus ends up with a penalty to the check.

Tehnar
2009-07-14, 01:35 PM
Getting your DM drunk. Otherwise he will laugh in your face and autofail your outlandish propositions. Or rather talk to him, tell him what you plan and see if you can come to some agreement that wont unbalance the game.

tiercel
2009-07-14, 10:20 PM
Think I gotta agree here to some extent -- if you are going to be outlandish, you need to figure the DM as well as the rules. If the DM is going to be sufficiently opposed to the *outcome* of your ploy, regardless of its technical legality, then either he will find a way to make it fail or, perhaps more to the point, make you pay for it. (Congratulations, you are really good at coercing extraplanar creatures to your will. Don't you think these creatures will be less than pleased when the binding is finally over? Maybe word of you will get around to their 500 closest extraplanar buddies. Have fun with that.)

There's nothing wrong with taking reasonable steps to up your odds when you play with the fire that is planar binding -- I'm just saying, if you get *too* good too much at it, the DM will become excessively tempted to spoke your wheel. Proceed with caution.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-14, 11:53 PM
Think I gotta agree here to some extent -- if you are going to be outlandish, you need to figure the DM as well as the rules. If the DM is going to be sufficiently opposed to the *outcome* of your ploy, regardless of its technical legality, then either he will find a way to make it fail or, perhaps more to the point, make you pay for it. (Congratulations, you are really good at coercing extraplanar creatures to your will. Don't you think these creatures will be less than pleased when the binding is finally over? Assuming you word your binding poorly enough that it has a set duration(rather than, say, 'when Bahumet and Tiamet sign a peace accord deeding all of their power to me'), there is no requirement that the Outsider be alive when the deal is over. :smallamused:

tiercel
2009-07-15, 01:52 AM
Assuming you word your binding poorly enough that it has a set duration(rather than, say, 'when Bahumet and Tiamet sign a peace accord deeding all of their power to me'), there is no requirement that the Outsider be alive when the deal is over. :smallamused:

If you assign some open-ended task that the creature cannot complete though its own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level, and the creature gains an immediate chance to break free. Note that a clever recipient can subvert some instructions.

Between this and the "The creature might later seek revenge" clause, the spell is explicitly giving the DM license to mess with you if he doesn't like the stunts you are trying to pull. Sure, if you want to try to rig the game completely, have fun trying, but it's in line with trying to coerce free wishes of evil beings (e.g., done with planar binding) -- its the sort of situation where a DM is *supposed* to hose you.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-15, 01:56 AM
Between this and the "The creature might later seek revenge" clause, the spell is explicitly giving the DM license to mess with you if he doesn't like the stunts you are trying to pull.

Programmed Amnesia. "Hey George, you were gone there for a hundred years or so. What happened?" "I was? I don't remember that."

Tehnar
2009-07-15, 09:01 AM
According to the fiendish codi(exes), demons and devils that die on any plane other then their home plane reform in the abyss/nine hells after a certain period.

Not to mention the fact that one outsider is not a world onto itself, but has "coworkers" and superiors. In the nine hells a called demon would be probably found missing in a matter of hours, and depending on its importance located shortly. In the abyss this might take a while but once a demon fails to show up with some tribute that its superior expects from it they too are going to get very interested.

A called outsider on the prime material is a interesting opportunity, especially for demons/devils who locate such a "clever" spellcaster that traffics with their kind. I as a DM would get very nasty with a player that abuses planar binding in such a way.

In a theory all such the methods above would work fine in establishing control over a called outsider. In a real game, unless the DM approves, such spells can have nasty consequences not only on your character, but also on a game as a whole. Personally I had to kick out players out of my games that wouldn't let up with such things (not planar binding in itself but other things).