PDA

View Full Version : Divine power spoilers from our friends in Japan

Charity
2009-07-14, 07:39 AM
I just picked up Divine Power. You can start piling up questions, but at first I will write out the following: new class features, new at-wills, one paragon path I find interesting and two feats. Before that, I will sit down and read through with thought.

Avengers

Censure of Unity: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls against your oath of nemity target for each ally adjacent to that target. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

At-wills:

Bond of Censure
Charm, Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action | Ranged 5
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will. If the target is your oath of enmity target and no enemies are adjacent to you, you can make two attack rolls and use either result.
Hit: You pull the target a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier. If the target ends this movement adjacent to you, it takes 1d10 radiant damage.

Leading Strike
Divine, Weapon
Standard Action | Melee weapon
Target: one creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 1[W]+Wisdom modifier damage. One ally adjacent to you or the target gains a bonus to his or her next damage roll against the target equal to your Intelligence modifier.

---

Paragon Path: Ardent Champion
Preq: Avenger, Censure of Pursuit class feature, oath of enmity power.

Holy Ardor(11): Whenever you make two attack rolls because of your oath of enmity, you score a critical hit if both dice have the same roll, except if both rolls are 1.
Ardent Action(11): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can also make a saving throw or shift a number of squares equal to your Dexterity modifier.
Ardent fury(16): Once per round when you score a critical hit against your oath of enmity target, you can shift 1 square and make a basic attack against that target as a free action.

Fanatical Flurry
[Encounter] Divine, Weapon
Standard Action | Close Burst 2
Target: Your oath of enmity target and each enemy in burst.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC
Hit: 2[W]+Wisdom modifier damage
Effect: You take a -2 penalty to all defenses until the end of your next turn.

Battle Rapture
[Daily] Divine, Stance
Minor action, Personal
Effect: until the stance ends, your attacks deal extra damage against your oath of enmity target equal to 1d10+one-half your level. In addition, when any ally deals damage (not ongoing damage) to your oath of enmity target, you take 3d6 damage.

Irresistible Ardor
[Daily] Divine, Weapon
Standard Action | Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs AC
Hit: 4[W] + Wisdom modifier damage. You regain the use of an encounter power that you have already used during this encounter.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Until you attack a creature other than your oath of enmity target or until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses against the attacks of your oath of enmity target.

---

Feats:
Divine Distraction [Heroic]
Prerequisites: Avenger, Censure of Unity class feature, oath of enmity power
Benefit: When you are adjacent to your oath of enmity target, your allies gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls against that target.

Fist of Heaven [Epic]
Prerequisite: 21st level, avenger, oath of enmity power.
Benefit: Your oath of enmity target takes a -2 penalty to saving throws.

---

For the impatient, a quick summary:

Paladins get ...

Virtuous Strike: Radiant melee Cha vs AC - 1[W]+Cha radiant, works as a mba and grants you +2 to saving throws

Ardent Strike: str/cha vs AC, melee - 1[W]+Str/cha damage and imposes divine sanction. Can be used on charges.

Divine sanction is like DC that doesn't need to be upheld, but still deals 3/6/9+Cha damage when the enemy attacks others. It's a mark that damages. Ardent Vow replaces lay on hands and gives Wis uses of a minor action that gives you 5+Wis extra damage against the target and each hit until end of encounter puts the divine sanction on the target.

There is also a heroic feat that gives +Str to DC damage. I would say the paladin has become a very good multi-target defender.

Clerics get...
Recovery Strike: Str vs AC, 1[W]+Str and the next ally to hit the target gains Cha mod hp.
Astral Seal: range 5 ,wis+2 vs ref - on hit target takes -2 to defs and next ally to hit target heals cha+2.

And a cool heroic feat called Pacifist Healer: When you use a divine power that allows a target to spend a surge, you add your charisma modifier and +1d6 per tier to the healing, but - when you deal damage to a bloodied enemy, you are stunned until the end of your next turn.

Invokers get:
Hand of Radiance 1-3 targets (4 on epic), range 10, wis vs ref, 1d4+wis damage.
Mantle of the Infidel: Range 20, vs will, 1d6+wis radiant and if the target is marked the penalty to attack rolls it takes from the marked condition is -4 instead of -2, 2d6+wis at epic.
Visions of Blood: Close blast 3, fear, psychic, vs will -1d6+wis psychic damage and the target takes a -1 penalty to all defenses until the start of your next turn.

Baleful Malediction is a heroic feat for Covenant of Malediction that imposes a -2 penalty to attack rolls to all targets hit with divine encounter and daily attack powers.

Now, a word-by-word writeup up on these guys...

So no Holy Mounts or Holy Archer builds.
There is a cleric PP that allows you to use short and long bows as implements. Elf and Eladrin only.

Nice! Any attention-grabbing epic destinies?
The new Chosen is sick. There are two powers that really make you go "holy heck".

Unerring Foreknowledge - Chosen of Ioun Utility 26
Hints of action and intention spread like gossamer trails that only you and your friends can perceive. Follow the trails and pierce the veils of time.
Daily, Divine. Minor action, ranged 10. Target. One ally. Effect: The target can take an extra standard action on his or her next turn.
Sustain minor: Choose a different ally within range. That ally can take an extra standard action on his or her next turn. You cannot choose an ally as a target of this power more than once during an encounter.

Anthem of Progress. Chosen of Erathis Utility
Erathis' grim efficiency inspires your comrades to their necessary work.
Daily, Divine.
Minor action. Close burst 10.
Target: You and each ally in burst.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, each target can score a critical hit with any at-will attack on a roll of 16-20.

My favorite ED is the Saint. +2 to Fort, Ref, Will and can't be dominated (gets dazed instead). Resist necrotic 15 + Wis. If you pick the "Dark Saint" variant, you resist radiant instead of necrotic. They also have this funny loop:

Sanctified Touch (24th level): When you enable a creature adjacent to you to spend a healing surge, the recipient can also make a saving throw. When you grant a saving throw to a creature adjacent to you, that creature can also spend a healing surge. When you use the Heal skill, any creature you grant a saving throw or stabilize with a successful Heal check can spend a healing surge.

Asked about divine sanction

It's a new mechanism. You don't give up anything for it.

Asked about divine sanction's duration

Yes. It wears off based on the time specified, usually start or end of your next turn.

Asked about a heroic feat to get StrMod to DS. does that replace ChaMod or add to it? Does a high-str low-cha paladin seem viable now?
Adds to it.

clerics getting more cha-based effects? nerd RAGE
Yes. Then again, Healer's Lore works with the "heal Cha" powers so a high wisdom tends to replace most heal effects like that.

are there any Avenger options to make them more defender-like?
There is a feat that allows you to mark the target you put your oath on until the ened of your next turn.

And/or Paladin options to make them more Striker-like (a la Martial Power Fighter builds)?
Yes, the replacement feature of Lay on Hands, Ardent Vow, lets you use that 5+Wis damage bonus Wis mod times a day.

asked about Paragon Paths.
Ritual names were previewed before in official excerpts.

Avenger:
Ardent Champion, Dervish of Dawn, Dread Imperator, Favored Soul, Relentless Slayer, Serene Initiate, Watchful Shepherd, Weapon of Fortune

Cleric:
Anointed Champion, Astral Savant, Battle Chaplain, Compassionate Healer, Holy Emissary, Messenger of Peace, Miracle Worker, Seldarine Dedicate, Stone Keeper, Truthseeker, Hammer of Moradin (Paladin/Cleric)

Invoker:
Adept of Whispers, Crimson Arbiter, Devoted Orator (Use diplomacy with Int!), Divine Hand, Divine Philosopher, Keeper of the Nine, Speaker of the Word, Stonecaller, Theurge of the Compact, Vessel of Ichor

Paladin:
Champion of Corellon, Demonslayer, Dragonslayer, Faithful Shield, Gray Guard, Hammer of Moradin (Paladin/Cleric), Holy Conqueror, Knight of the Chalice, Questing Knight, Scion of Sacrifice, Slayer of the Dead.

EDs:
Avatar of Death, Avatar of Freedom, Avatar of Hope, Avatar of Justice, Avatar of Life, Avatar of Storm, Avatar of War, Chosen, Exalted Angel, Saint

Has the level 9 Paladin power problem been sorted?

Three Strength based and two Charisma based powers.

Any interesting level 15 Cleric dailies?
There is an avenger power's big brother, close burst 3 zone that moves with you that blinds on the initial attack. All allies within the burst deal an extra 2d6 radiant damage with melee and ranged powers.

Penance of Blood is a close burst 3 that gives enemies vulnerable 5 to all damage until the end of the encounter as a hit and increases all vulnerability you cause to targets by your Wis mod as an effect.

Evidently this post is too short for the filter so I shall include a line to remedy that.

Charity
2009-07-14, 07:46 AM
Yay Virtuous Strike. MBAs were needed for the Chaladin. (Do Paladins have any movement-based At Wills?) If I'm right, the Paladin focusses on one or two foes and makes them useless?

The paladin has encounter powers such as a minor action close burst 3 divine sanction. He can pull a lot of enemy fire with that.

Also the +Str to Damage feat? How does that work - does it allow multiclassing abuse? Or work for Straladins?- only for Divine Sanction, I think?

Mighty Challenge (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Paladin, divine challenge power
Benefit: Whenever a target of your divine challenge takes damage from that power, it takes extra radiant damage equal to your Strength modifier.

This is worth MCing for, though

Honored Foe (Paragon)
Prerequisite: 11th level, paladin
Benefit: When a creature marked by you damages you, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier.

How does the Covenant of Malediction actually work? It sounds extremely cool, but I worry about it as you are already squishy.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20090622b

But actually..? Well~

Silent Malediction, Invoker Attack 1
You enter a trance as your lips move. Your enemies don't hear what you're saying because of the thunder rumbling around them.
Daily * Divine, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action - Close Blast 3
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d6+Wisdom modifier thunder damage, and the target is stunned (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: You are dazed until the end of your next turn.

---

I also like some of the domain feats due to the million options they open:

Power of Skill [Domain]
Prerequisite: Any divine class, must worship a deity of the skill domain.
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to trained skill checks.
You can use any power you have that is associated with this feat as a basic attack.
Powers: divine bolts, overwhelming strike, righteous brand, valiant strike.

Power of Arcana [Domain]
Prerequisite: Any divine class, must worship a deity of the arcana domain.
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Arcana checks.
When you use a power associated with this feat, that power is arcane as well as divine. After using the power, you gain +1 bonus to attack rolls with arcane powers until the end of your next turn.
Powers: Divine bolts, lance of faith, radiant vengeance, virtuous strike.

Power of Tyranny [Domain]
Prerequisite: Any divine class, must worship a deity of the tyranny domain.
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to intimidate checks.
When you use a power associated with this feat, the power's target each take a -2 penalty to saving throws until the start of your next turn, whether you hit or not.
Powers: Astral seal, bond of censure, divine bolts, enfeebling strike

More stuff from Ishi

Edit- in other news the preview for the monster builder is up (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090713), I hope it's as good as the character builder, which I like.

Edit 2- For those of you whom use a mac and are wanting to use the character builder I found this nuggat, dunno if it works but I hope it's good.

Best Mac/PC secret ever: use VirtualBox from Sun. It's completely free and it's just as functional as Parallels or VMWare. It runs side by side with your Mac apps, so no annoying rebooting. Character Builder runs great in it.

kamuishirou
2009-07-14, 11:32 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I just rolled up an Avenger, and I really like the new at-wills.

RTGoodman
2009-07-14, 02:13 PM
Damn those Japanese! They ALWAYS get the new books way ahead of the rest of us!

I'm pretty excited about the new Paladin and Cleric stuff (especially some of the PPs), though most of the Invoker/Avenger stuff is gonna go to waste for me.

Dixieboy
2009-07-14, 02:59 PM
Why the hell do the Japanese get D&D books before the rest of the world?

TheEmerged
2009-07-14, 03:10 PM

Because they don't feel bound by the agreement not to release them until a certain date.

dkay807
2009-07-14, 03:35 PM
Can you list Heroic Divine and Invoker-specific feats?

RTGoodman
2009-07-14, 04:08 PM
Can you list Heroic Divine and Invoker-specific feats?

I haven't read through all 12 pages yet, but the actual thread where someone has the books is HERE (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=462585). They might or might not have answered your question there.

Mando Knight
2009-07-14, 05:17 PM
Huge support for Strength Paladin, apparently. *+10 Divine Power Want*

Charity
2009-07-14, 05:26 PM
Yeah, at last my Paladin can have a 2nd level utility he might actually use once or twice.

Bless Weapon is a minor action daily that enchants a weapon until end of encounter with +1 power bonus to attack and 1d6 radiant extra damage. That weapon also crits radiant vulnerable creatures with 18-20.

Rest are encounter powers:
Call of Challenge is a close burst 3 divine sanction (uent), minor action
Divine Counter halves the damage you take from an attack against a NAD, and divine sanctions the target (uent).
Touch of Grace allows you to transfer to yourself one effect that a save can end.
Virtue allows you to burn a surge and gain your surge value as temp hp.

RTGoodman
2009-07-14, 05:35 PM
*+10 Divine Power Want*

No kidding. I REALLY wish the ChaBuilder updated more than once a month, so I could start fiddlin' with this new Divine Sanction mechanic next week. (I'll definitely be buying Divine Power, but I haven't made a 4E character by hand in like a year.

I love Paladins, and now there's so many new toys to play with!

bosssmiley
2009-07-16, 05:36 AM

Because Japan is really the future (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5853044&postcount=2).

They think the iPhone is comically primitive crippleware (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/why-the-iphone/), build giant robots for fun (http://www.dannychoo.com/detail/mac/eng/image/20078/Assembled+Odaiba+Gundam.html), and live in one giant, overcrowded hive city.
Ghost in the Shell: it's a documentary.