PDA

View Full Version : Best lair for BBEG...

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-07-14, 12:56 PM
...Is a lead mine. Think about it;

1) Walls contain lead. Many divinations are blocked by it.
2) Walls are stone and metal; no burrow or earth glide.
3) Passages are fairly small; players can's shapeshift to very big creatures.
4) The place is dark; remote viewing does not allow players a clear enough image to teleport and vision even with true seeing is practically limited to 120 ft so no huge range attacks
5) The ceilings can be rigged to collapse, burying attackers. This works just fine on incorporeal creatures too-the stone is too thick for them to pass.
6) Adding a weirdstone imposes a six-mile dimensional lock without making the whole area green as it would in an overground place.

Alejandro
2009-07-14, 01:00 PM
Also, the PCs can have deformed children if they drink a lot of groundwater in the area.

Doc Roc
2009-07-14, 02:45 PM
Source on the weird stone?

Glyde
2009-07-14, 03:05 PM
I like mine - A huge tower superweapon pulling in the powers from the plane of Limbo itself. I can have all the stuff you listed, and I don't even have to explain it :smallwink:

Doc Roc
2009-07-14, 03:13 PM
Players love inexplicable Mary Sue villains....

Glyde, just make sure your players know and understand within the context of the game how and why the villain is so powerful. You have to make sure that they have either a mechanical or narrative point where they can apply leverage, something that they know they can do.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-07-14, 03:16 PM
Weirdstone is from (I think) Lost Empires of Faerun. If it isn't there, it definitely is in one of the other FR books.

Also, we're talking about lair-natural or worked terrain-not a stronghold (usually magically amplified building)

Claudius Maximus
2009-07-14, 04:01 PM
Weirdstone is from either PGtF or MoF, but I forget which. If I remember correctly, it's only a 2-mile radius.