PDA

View Full Version : Fighting a Zombie Apocalypse with 100% recycled materials

Randel
2009-07-14, 01:27 PM
Okay, I really like the Game Bioshock and I think I've pinned down one interesting reason. Rapture had just gone through an economic collapse and many of the weapons you see are made of cobbled-together materials.

The grenade launcher was a pipe with a loading slot and some form of propellant, it reminds me of those potatoe guns that can be made using PVC pipe, hair spray and a lighter.

The grenades are usually tin cans packed with explosives and equipped with a fuse. Molotov cocktails are also common.

The crossbow was cobbled together using a wooden stock and a metal ruler for the 'bow' part and piano wire for the string.

The chemical launcher had what looks like the end of a wine bottle, a bunch of hose, a wrench duct taped to a valve, and several tanks of chemicals all hooked together to make it.

Anyway, considering all the garbage a modern society has, if xombies did attack then what sorts of traps and zombie survival equipment could we whip up using the junk we have laying around?

One idea: A death-ray / water distillation machine created using a whole lot of mirrors, a tank for holding unpurified water, and some pipes that would carry the steam to condense in another pure tank. It probably wouldn't be all that good for fighting zombies with since it would be pretty much impossible to change all those mirrors to focus on a moving target but distilled water (cooled from boiling) would be pretty good to have after society collapses.

Anyway, I guess in RPGs I've always been fascinated by crafting rules and the idea of taking broomsticks and making spears out of them has a certain appeal.

Durp
2009-07-14, 01:30 PM
You'll love Fallout 3. Play it.

Dixieboy
2009-07-14, 02:50 PM
You'll love Arcanum. Play it.
Fix'd that for ye.

A game in which the most powerful tools are built from stuff found in garbage cans, this includes a staff that shoots lightning and an ethanol driven laser pistol.

If one did make a game in which you put stuff together like that i'd suggest making it a light-hearted game, because while you COULD do it realistically, spending hours hammering at piece of iron to turn it into a makeshift knife isn't as fun as grabbing a couple of random ingredients from your living room and making a death ray.

13_CBS
2009-07-14, 02:53 PM
A game in which the most powerful tools are built from stuff found in garbage cans, this includes a staff that shoots lightning and an ethanol driven laser pistol.

Broken revolver parts + a revolver chamber = Best firearm for lower levels, surpassing things like rifles and even shotguns in damage.

...then there's the elephant guns you can make out of large pipes (found in trash cans) and cheap hunting rifles...

...and these are the standard, run of the mill craftable weapons, too :smalleek:

Alejandro
2009-07-14, 02:56 PM
Well, someone already beat me to the Fallout 3 comment. :) It has many fun cobbled together weapons.

Personally, what about the idea from Half Life 2: a motor with a large, sharp, spinning blade on it, rotating at high speed on a horizontal plane, at about waist level? If the zombies are mindless, they will simply walk into the running machinery whilst trying to reach you, and get gibbed.