PDA

View Full Version : Idle time

pluizig
2009-07-14, 02:44 PM
Hi,

In the campaign I'm re-joining this week, the DM likes to give his PCs some freedom to do what they like in a town or city. He doesn't expect the players to actively look for plot hooks or something like that, but wants us to find activities to pass the time. To entertain ourselves, if you will. Most of the time it goes like this:

DM: OK, so you're meeting this guy again tomorrow at sundown. What do you want to do in the meantime?

Even though I'm not bad at roleplaying, I find these moments pretty difficult to play. After the usual shopping and stuff, the wizard goes to the library to try and learn some new spells, the dwarven fighter looks for the nearest bar and drinks himself silly, and the rogue generally gambles and scams his time away. My previous character, a cleric, had it easy. He prayed at the temple, donated some money and tried to convert a few villagers, and that was it.

My new character, on the other hand, I expect to have some difficulty with. He's REALLY ambitious, to the point where he's a jerk to every person he deems below him (generally 95% of the population). He's not twirly-moustashe-evil, but generally others don't mean anything to him. He recently abandoned his post as a Monk-trained palace guard to start a new life in a faraway region, where his simple heritage won't hold him back in his ambition. He's destined for great things, you know. :smallwink:

Now my question is, what would such a person do in a town of reasonable size, where he's likely to spend only a few days, and doesn't know anyone? It makes no sense to make (powerful) allies -like in the town guard or city hall- when he's not likely to ever come back, but I can't see him do absolutely nothing either. The DM won't like that either :smallconfused:

Any tips? This is the first time I've played a neutral/borderline evil character, so I'm at a loss here.

Glyde
2009-07-14, 03:00 PM
The character's personality alone isn't enough to determine what he would do during his 'downtime'.

During downtime, my evil/neutral character performs experiments, goes for walks with the only other character he gets along with, sleeps, furthers his knowledge of the planes, plots and plans vengeance, and collects taxes from the villages the party's fort protects.

Alchemy is always a good way to pass the time. Interacting with the other characters is also great, and promotes roleplaying. Next time the fighter goes for a drink, go with him to see what it's all about. That kinda thing.

valadil
2009-07-14, 03:13 PM
What is his ambition? You've mentioned that he's ambitious, but usually that will focus on something in particular. Making allies in town isn't a bad way to go, even if you don't expect to see them again. Maybe he could find and befriend wandering merchants, minstrels, and adventurers who he might see later on in his journeys. If he's looking for wealth, setting up some investments around town might be decent. Personally I think you're making too much of a big deal out of being not likely to return to town. If your GM actually cares what you do in your downtime he ought to encourage it by letting you return to town from time to time.

Demons_eye
2009-07-14, 03:16 PM
Craft is a nice way to kill time and make some nice copper

CheshireCatAW
2009-07-14, 03:22 PM
I like the ambition angle, and depending on what kind of ambition it is, you could try and buy a business you expect to start doing well, or become a silent partner. Or you could spread some monies around the town and buy yourself an elected seat.

Could you imagine the party's face when you are elected the towns High Protector and Commander of the General Forces? Now that smacks of ambition with RP potential to me. That'll teach the dwarf to waste his time drinking. ^_^

Edit: Additionally, one could choose a darker path and ally himself with the town's unseemly underground to rig the election or find other ways to sate his ambition. Perhaps becoming the new Kingpin?

Autopsibiofeeder
2009-07-14, 04:00 PM
Hmmm...

From what I gather from your post (it's hard though, with so little knowledge on the character):
I would make a point of being not interested in all the 'plebs' in such a village. I have a mission and that mission is primarily becoming better. I would find a place that suits me best and do my thing there; training, meditating, being completely oblivious to my surroundings. Whatever is going on in this town can never be important enough to distract me from my road to perfection. Grumpy, harsh and demanding I would adress any locals that may do something to improve my training conditions/facilities ("Go. Away." *intimidate check*).

Sounds a lot like Vegeta, from DBZ, if you know that.

Tallis
2009-07-15, 12:30 AM
Research the area you are going to. Find out as much as you can about the power players there. Talk to merchants that are likely to have contacts there, check out the library to see if they have the info you need, and talk to any traveling bards you can find.
Try to find out more about your fellow party members if you don't already know them well. It's always good to know what they want so you can use it to get what you want.
Get some forged patents of nobility.
Hire yourself a servant if you have a decent amount of money. Have the servant address you as 'my lord' or something like that to make people think you are important. Don't forget to get some noble clothes to reinforce the illusion. The more important people think you are the more influence you have. Of course this could backfire and get you kidnapped, but you won't fulfill your ambitions without some risk, right?
Hire a bard to sing about you to make you famous.

pluizig
2009-07-15, 05:27 AM
Ik like the Vegeta idea. Not exactly what I had in mind when I posted yesterday, but as I said, I'll use this character for the first time tomorrow.

The other tips are great too, by the way!