PDA

View Full Version : SOD item question (spoilers)

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-14, 03:31 PM
Is there a D&D version of the positive energy dagger that right eye tries to use at the end of SOD? I've been trying to find one for a campaign.

Ancalagon
2009-07-14, 03:35 PM
Is there a D&D version of the positive energy dagger that right eye tries to use at the end of SOD? I've been trying to find one for a campaign.

Just make one:

Positive energy dagger. Deals 1w4 extra hitpoints to undead plus works with sneak attack on undead. Hurray.

How much is it worth? That depends how many undead you want to throw at your players, I'd say... :)

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-14, 03:41 PM
So what happens when you stab someone who isn't undead? Does it heal him? Just making one, granting it all these powers and giving it to a player, without figuring the worth and adjusting the RTL accordingly (recommended treasure level) seems irresponsible (as a DM)

Zerg Cookie
2009-07-14, 03:54 PM
Positive energy dagger
This +2 dagger deals an additional 2d6 when used against undead
When against living, it heals 1d4 (you still take 1d4 damage)
This weapon allow you to sneak attack undead
Cost: 18K gp

I made it in 20 seconds, it's not perfect, but whatever

SinsI
2009-07-14, 04:05 PM
Positive energy dagger
This +2 dagger deals an additional 2d6 when used against undead
When against living, it heals 2d6 (you still take 1d4 damage)
This weapon allow you to sneak attack undead

I made it in 20 seconds, it's not perfect, but whatever
Edit: It think it should cost like a +3 weapon (18K IIRC), maybe something between +3 and +4, or even like a +4, because healing rocks

It should always deal more damage than it heals, otherwise it becomes a needle of free cure light wounds.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-14, 04:34 PM
It should always deal more damage than it heals, otherwise it becomes a needle of free cure light wounds.

I think it should heal the same as it deals damage, like a gamble: heals 1d4, deals 1d4 damage.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-14, 04:35 PM
I can see it now
"I stab you fifteen times in the face!"
"Why?"
"I'm healing you:smallbiggrin:"

or

give it to belkar, he can help people by stabbing them

Zerg Cookie
2009-07-14, 05:12 PM

Probably right
I'll edit it

Also: I full-attack myself in armorless parts. I don't dodge. Full HP

Faceist
2009-07-14, 05:29 PM
Healing shiv!

King of Nowhere
2009-07-14, 06:25 PM
There is a table to extrapolate an homebrewed item's cost in the manual. I don't have it handy so I can't do the math for you.
I would take away the "heals the living" part, since it can be abused too easily (you can choose to attack without using your full strength: you can hit him as lightly as you can, thus using a str of 1 with a penalty of -5 if you want to use it to heal).
Otherwise, sneak attack the undead is nowhere in the manual to offer a price comparison, but to me, given the very limited use of it (useful only in a rouge's hand, only against undead) I would say it equals a +2 to determine the price. That in addition to every other magic bonus it has.

Captain Alien
2009-07-14, 06:32 PM
Neverwinter Nights (A D&D based videogame) offers the possibility of making weapons that deal positive energy damage. I cannot remember now if it allowed you to create a weapon that heals, but it might work.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-14, 11:35 PM
Oh, I asked this on the Roleplaying forum. Even though one of the answers started like (well, I never have read SOD, but) they had an answer for me:

"A Greater Truedeath Crystal (MIC, p. 66)"
so now if any of you want to play a rogue, you know now how to sneak attack any undead.
[/thread]