PDA

View Full Version : Next OotS Book

Berserk Monk
2009-07-14, 07:19 PM
Do you think it'll be a sequel depicting the last hundred and something strips, or a sequel possible revealing to origin of the Linear Guild, the Order of the Scribble, or something else?

BatRobin
2009-07-14, 07:25 PM
Last hundred-something strips? Slim chance. I remember the Giant saying he'd go to 1000.

Origin of the Linear Guild? For a whole book? We got Elan/Nale's past in 2 strips.

Origin of the Scribble? Not too likely, more like a bonus book.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-14, 07:51 PM
It could also be in the form of multiple short sections, each detailing one of:

The Linear Guild

The IFC

The Elven Gods

The Rise of the Dark One

...does anything else spring to mind?

NerfTW
2009-07-14, 08:00 PM
Last hundred-something strips? Slim chance. I remember the Giant saying he'd go to 1000.

Origin of the Linear Guild? For a whole book? We got Elan/Nale's past in 2 strips.

Origin of the Scribble? Not too likely, more like a bonus book.

I think he meant "is the next book going to be a compilation or another prequel book?".

I'd say compilation. The only options for prequel books at the moment would reveal too much plot that is going to come up in the strip. The origin of the Order of the Scribble would have to come AFTER we find out about all the gates and the fates of Serini and Girard, since any such book would need to cover Kragor's gate, which is the last one. As for the Linear Guild, that is more likely, but probably not until the kingdom of Tyrinaria actual appears in the comic. (Much like how Start of Darkness didn't get announced until Xykon was starting his siege of Azure City)

[TS] Shadow
2009-07-14, 08:00 PM
I doubt that the Dark One or the Scribble will get their own books. They are bit players, existant in plot exposition and background information only. While their backstories might be interesting, they aren't important enough to the plot as individuals to have their own book. When it comes to the IFCC, they aren't getting their own book. A book about the villians (Start of Darkness) has already been released, and them getting an entire book all to themselves would be filled with pointless scenes containing characters we barely know. The Linear Guild is really the only likely choice for a prequel book.

Jaltum
2009-07-14, 08:07 PM
I'll put my money on a Linear Guild book, too, now that they've been officially marked out as a third team in the fight for the gates. The connection to the IFCC, and Sabine's presence in general, is a gateway to more information on the gods, Outer Planes, fiends and celestials, etc, which I suspect is coming.

There's probably at least one more crayon interlude in our future, before the entire story of the creation of the world, the Snarl, and the monstrous races is completely understood, and it would make sense to have one exposited to the Order, one to Team Evil, and one to the LG.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-14, 08:11 PM
I think he meant "is the next book going to be a compilation or another prequel book?".

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-14, 08:11 PM
I'll put my money on a Linear Guild book, too, now that they've been officially marked out as a third team in the fight for the gates. The connection to the IFCC, and Sabine's presence in general, is a gateway to more information on the gods, Outer Planes, fiends and celestials, etc, which I suspect is coming.

There's probably at least one more crayon interlude in our future, before the entire story of the creation of the world, the Snarl, and the monstrous races is completely understood, and it would make sense to have one exposited to the Order, one to Team Evil, and one to the LG.

But who would be willing to enlighten three different teams with wildly differing motives and locations without considering the consequences beyond balance? No... it couldn't be...

CURSE YOU MORDENKAINEN!!!

NerfTW
2009-07-14, 08:45 PM

I like that idea. But how and why it would even be in a Linear Guild book is questionable. The only thing not covered in a scribble sequence yet are the Elven gods.

And I disagree about the Scribble being bit players. A book covering their exploits and sealing of the gates would be a nice epilouge to the story.

Jaltum
2009-07-14, 09:31 PM
The only thing not covered in a scribble sequence yet are the Elven gods.

Mainly, I think we need more information on the origin of the monstrous races. As it stands, their creation seems like a horrible and unsolvable injustice lying at the heart of the story; that's the main reason why I think there'll be another crayon story, to reveal that things aren't quite as black and white as either Shojo or the Dark One framed it.

It's a pet theory, but I think rather than the gods being totally callous, or the goblins totally having it coming, the gods started out not taking their little world and its struggles entirely seriously at first; they treated it like a game, and the 'good' and 'evil' gods worked together to set things up. Somewhere along the line that changed; Tiamat is the god of one of those monstrous races, now, and Good and Evil are locked in cosmic struggle, per the IFCC. The gods may regret what they did to the goblins and others, but be unable to take it back, and still trying to patch it up somehow.

What I'd expect the third crayon sequence to deal with is good and evil (and law and chaos, I suppose), the aligned planes, and the celestials and fiends. Sabine is an 'incarnation of illicit sex'; the archons and devas are 'beings of pure law and good.' This doesn't really describe the gods, good OR evil, that they serve, who seem much more... human. Where they came from, and how that connects into the earlier creations of the gods, would be a natural fit for the Linear Guild, given Sabine's role in the team.

Like I said, just a pet theory.

mr.fizzypop
2009-07-14, 09:49 PM
What about a book saying what happened during the 3 months, while Roy was in the celestial realm.How the resistance started, and going through all those montages in comic #501 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html).

I don't know how exiting it'd be but it's an idea.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-14, 09:56 PM
What about a book saying what happened during the 3 months, while Roy was in the celestial realm.How the resistance started, and going through all those montages in comic #501 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html).

I'm sure this'll be covered in the sequel to War and XPs.

Morgan Wick
2009-07-15, 08:36 PM

This might constitute the bulk of the bonus strips in the current book, but ONLY if it becomes plot-relevant.

fwiffo
2009-07-15, 09:13 PM
I say we need more details on the backstory of everyone's favorite paladin, and how she got to be the way she was.

y2kyle89
2009-07-15, 09:22 PM
I think a prequel book on the Sapphire Guard would work.

Nimrod's Son
2009-07-15, 09:36 PM
I think a prequel book on the Sapphire Guard would work.
Hell, a book on nothing but O-Chul's days as a fighter would probably sell like hot cakes.

Not that I'm suggesting I want that to happen, mind.

Kairamek
2009-07-15, 10:48 PM
Where I to hazzard a guess, and I"m about to do just that, I'd guess that the other prequels are on subjects we've not yet seen. Things are about to pick up on the western continent. There's bound to be interesting people over there. So I'm thinking the next two books to be published are the one about to wrap up (#4 if you've been counting) and #5, then a prequel while book #6 is being made on the website.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-15, 10:53 PM
Hell, a book on nothing but O-Chul's days as a fighter would probably sell like hot cakes.

Not that I'm suggesting I want that to happen, mind.

Yeah, it should depict his entire life, birth to the moment he became a main character in the online strips.

Forbiddenwar
2009-07-15, 11:10 PM
I say we need more details on the backstory of everyone's favorite paladin, and how she got to be the way she was.

Didn't know O-chul was a woman, wow, what a twist!:smallwink:

Morquard
2009-07-16, 01:49 AM
Mainly, I think we need more information on the origin of the monstrous races. As it stands, their creation seems like a horrible and unsolvable injustice lying at the heart of the story; that's the main reason why I think there'll be another crayon story, to reveal that things aren't quite as black and white as either Shojo or the Dark One framed it.
So far we've heard two sides of the story, one from Redcloak and once from Shojo.
Both sources can't be fully trusted on all accounts.
slight SOD spoilers

If I remember correctly we don't get much snarl info from RC, but what we got seems consistent with Shojo's explanation, namely if snarl gets free its bad, and that he's able to kill gods. However the DO didn't learn about it till 60 years ago, so his info might be wrong there too
Goblin XP fodder: Hmm, only have RC word for that, it didn't appear in Shojo's scribble at all. It may be a biased view the Dark One developed during his years as god. It may be a big lie he told RC, considering "goblin equality" is the button you need to push on RC to get him to do something. (However we don't know, it might be his "soft spot" because he knows of the nature of the goblin people from the mantle, but thats just another guess)
Shojo's story:
It basicly only covers the creation of the first world, the snarl and the resulting slaughter and the second world, and then the discovery and sealing of the gates.
That second part I take happened like he told it.
But the first one about how the snarl actually came into being? How did he know about any of that?
It was passed down from Soon obviously, but how did the Order of the Scribble learn?
Did the gods really tell them? THey've kept this a secret for ages. Well they may have seen the need to reveal it in order to get mortal pawns to seal the rifts again. I dunno.
Or they figured it out themselves somehow. Not really sure how that could happen though.

Either way what really happened with the snarl back then, or what it truely is, we don't have a really reliable source on it. Gods are afraid of it, that we know. When you're afraid of something you tend to make it 10 times worse in your mind than it is.
Maybe the snarl isn't hateful or destructive at all, just saw that the gods were making a terrible mess out of the universe with how they created the first world, and thought to correct that.
Of course, if that happens, sure the gods will see it differently and call it an evil, hateful god-killing abomination.

But getting an entire book about this? No I don't think so. Especially since the Order of the Scribbles travels around the world would feel too much like a repeatition of what the OotStick is doing right now, if you really want to cover an entire book with it. Yeah sure they'd do other stuff, but it would still feel somewhat similar.
Same really about the gods or the Linear Guild, there's simply not enough about them to warrent an entire book I guess.

But I agree with you that it looks right now as if its a terrible injustice towards the goblins. Creating a sencient, sapient humanoid race as XP fodder just feels wrong. Why didn't they create the usual level 1 rats, so their clerics could get XP? :)
This is the main reason why I think, that even though Redcloak will fail with his plan, get killed and be damned to Hell, in the end there will be some sort of equality for goblinoids (I think it actually started with Azure City, they might form their own kingdom there or something). Not because Redcloak is right about how he goes about it, but because leaving them as XP fodder after the story is over, would feel somewhat unsatisfying.

Hmm, I think I drifted slightly off topic on my post here ;)

NerfTW
2009-07-16, 09:06 AM

That would be horrendously boring.

"Hi, wanna help?"
"No"
"Okay!"

Maybe a strip or two expanding on the more unique ones, but an entire book just to cover a three month gap that was put there for a reason? No way. The whole point of it was that nothing was getting done on either side in that time frame. Knowing what happened wouldn't offer insight into anything.

Jaltum
2009-07-16, 09:26 AM
But getting an entire book about this? No I don't think so.

I never said anything about a book about the Order of the Scribble. I was talking about a prequel on the origins of the Linear Guild.

Like I said (and then you said), we've had two sides of the story of the creation of the world. Taken together, they don't give us a complete picture yet. So assumably, eventually, in the strip or in a prequel book, we're going to get at least one more revelation.

I think we're going to hear more about the origins of the afterlife planes, and the forces of good and evil, now that the IFCC is taking on a larger role; Sabine, as a fiend, would be able to deliver that kind of exposition. I have a pet theory on how that exposition might also reveal more about why even the goods gods would do something as callous as create the monstrous races to be victims; I explained it higher in the thread.

A prequel about Nale and the LG would also give us more background information on the Western continent, at least if the supposition that Nale and Elan's father = the ruler of Tyrinaria is true. Since that's where the story is headed next, again, it seems like a good fit.

EDIT: Lost this in editing--we've had two crayon flashbacks, to the two teams questing for the gates. Now we have a third team going for the gates, so they would be the logical group to get a third flashback.

Bibliomancer
2009-07-16, 12:24 PM
EDIT: Lost this in editing--we've had two crayon flashbacks, to the two teams questing for the gates. Now we have a third team going for the gates, so they would be the logical group to get a third flashback.

Where was the other crayon flashback? Are you referring to the summary for Nale when he was disguised as Elan?

Random832
2009-07-16, 12:39 PM
Where was the other crayon flashback? Are you referring to the summary for Nale when he was disguised as Elan?

He's talking about SoD - the "two teams questing for the gates" are the OotS and Team Evil

Bibliomancer
2009-07-16, 12:48 PM
He's talking about SoD - the "two teams questing for the gates" are the OotS and Team Evil

Thanks. That explains why I hadn't heard of it, because I haven't read that yet.

Technically, the Linear Guild doesn't need a crayon flashback because Nale got all the information that the Order of the Stick did here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html)

Ancalagon
2009-07-16, 12:57 PM
Do you think it'll be a sequel depicting the last hundred and something strips, or a sequel possible revealing to origin of the Linear Guild, the Order of the Scribble, or something else?

I would want a book that tells various short stories (one to 20 or so strips each) about "side characters" we met along the main storylines... some little background details, some fun here and there... that'd be neat.

pflare
2009-07-20, 12:53 PM
As much as I would like a book on the Linear Guild I don't think they have much backstory (minus Nale but I've got a feeling that'll be explained in the online comic). Unless Thog has an amazing story I don't see it, I mean they're all just evil opposites of the OOTS. I doubt Yokyok and Yikyik have amazing stories to tell.

I would enjoy a book about the Saphire Guard with O-chul and Miko backstories.

Optimystik
2009-07-20, 01:29 PM
I want a book about the Order of the Scribble. I want to see how they met Kraagor, Dorukan, Serini and especially Girard. In addition, it'll give the Giant plenty of chances to rip on the Epic rules.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-20, 02:39 PM
I want a book about the Order of the Scribble. I want to see how they met Kraagor, Dorukan, Serini and especially Girard. In addition, it'll give the Giant plenty of chances to rip on the Epic rules.

Swimming up waterfalls, balancing on a cloud, bluffing to hide your alignment from magical means.

Yeah, thought if the Giant does it probably won't be until after we've seen some more gates. I doubt he'd reveal facts about the western continent or frozen north before they appear on the online stripes.

OOTS2ness
2009-07-27, 12:39 AM
OotS book
went is it coming out?
what is the buying the book url?
plz tell me

Ancalagon
2009-07-27, 02:37 AM
OotS book
went is it coming out?
what is the buying the book url?
plz tell me

- Yes, there is another oots-book coming, but we have no idea at all what it will be about. Many people here speculate another "extra materials" (as the prequels) book might be coming soon, but it could also be the next "webcomic to dead trees" book will come within a few weeks.
- Not yet.
- See above, it's not out yet and actually - nothing was announced about it (content could be anything).
- Please use "please" instead of "plz".

Armitage
2009-07-27, 12:31 PM
Besides sequels (which is basically what the compilations are) and prequels there's something else Rich could explore: Spin-offs.

If, at some point in the future, Xykon and Redcloak leave Azure City, Rich could decide to concentrate on the Gates in the online comic and tell the fate of Azure City in a spin-off.

Or what about "Legally aerial", Celias adventures in law school?