PDA

View Full Version : Where, where, where, 4th where are all the bards?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-15, 08:34 AM
Was just thinking, have we seen 'any' other bard in these comics? I know we had Belkar's little harpist, but considering she had equal levels in every other class you might as well say she was a sorceress.

Theodoriph
2009-07-15, 08:41 AM
The proper conjugation is 'are' not 'is'.

That being said, I can't really think of another one. I didn't look through the comic to check though. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Does the metal group in one of the prequels qualify? :smalltongue:

DoomITP
2009-07-15, 08:41 AM
Probably took levels in other classes like Elan said in that one comic... I can't remember.

derfenrirwolv
2009-07-15, 08:57 AM
mayby the npcs care more about optimization than the pcs and avoided the class? :smallwink:

Darius1020
2009-07-15, 09:40 AM
There's supposed to be a fourth "where" in there...

also, there's only been one ranger, hasn't there? unless i'm forgetting someone...

Random832
2009-07-15, 10:09 AM
I know we had Belkar's little harpist, but considering she had equal levels in every other class you might as well say she was a sorceress.

I don't remember this - where was this stated?

pflare
2009-07-15, 10:26 AM
Technically it wasn't stated that she was a bard she just played a harp and said something like "My bard music will help here". I always assumed she was just a bard/rogue because she was in the theives guild. Also I think that maybe there are less bards because as Elan said its silly to go into dungeons and sing. Then again maybe we just haven't come across them yet.

Zevox
2009-07-15, 10:29 AM
I don't remember this - where was this stated?
Page 9 of On the Origin of PCs, Haley refers to her as a Rogue/Bard, and is promptly corrected that she is now a Rogue/Bard/Sorcerer. At which point we get a joke about how she already has 3 classes at level 3.

Zevox

factotum
2009-07-15, 11:03 AM
There are a good number of classes even in Core (11 base PC classes plus 5 NPC ones according to the SRD)...it's not surprising that we haven't seen dozens of each considering we haven't seen that many people up close and personal in the strip!

SadisticFishing
2009-07-15, 11:08 AM
Factotum is right.

We also have only seen 2-3 fighters, except in the Fighters guild, and not many Wizards, either. 2 bards is pretty good.

By the way, Bard is one of the strongest classes in the game when it comes to 3.5, their buffs are ridiculously good. Sure, they're no wizard, but they're significantly better than Fighter and Monk :P

Ancalagon
2009-07-15, 11:42 AM
By the way, Bard is one of the strongest classes in the game when it comes to 3.5, their buffs are ridiculously good. Sure, they're no wizard, but they're significantly better than Fighter and Monk :P

They are also very cool and funny and interesting to roleplay...

SadisticFishing
2009-07-15, 11:47 AM
Oh absolutely! They're awesome. I was responding to "mayby the npcs care more about optimization than the pcs and avoided the class?"

The Pilgrim
2009-07-15, 12:00 PM
Well, odds are good that Julio Scoundrel was a Bard before being a Dashing Swordsman. I mean, he was no sorceror, and I can't thing of any other class that would use Charisma as his strong stat apart from a Bard. Of course there is no solid documentation about this so...

BTW while we have seen a LOT of Paladins, all of them belonged to the same Order... have we seen a single non-shappire guard Paladin out there?

And wat about Monks? We have seen a Paladin who had some ranks in Monk, but not a proper monk out there.

Jaltum
2009-07-15, 12:01 PM
In the strip, we have seen non-SG paladins only on the TeeVo. In Origins of PCs, we see one or two others.

EDIT: Also in Origins, we see Belkar talk a monk into abject despair over how much his class sucks so he can steal his place on the team.

lord_khaine
2009-07-15, 12:05 PM

thats a matter of both oppinion and playstyle.

NerfTW
2009-07-15, 12:14 PM
We haven't seen many bards because we haven't seen any other adventuring groups outside of the Linear Guild. A bard isn't normally going to be running around alone. (Look at Elan's statements in Origin of PCs)

SadisticFishing
2009-07-15, 12:17 PM
thats a matter of both oppinion and playstyle.

Not particularly. They're absolutely amazing if you have a team, and some books.

Core, they're not particularly powerful - but nothing except Wizard/Cleric/Druid are.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-15, 12:17 PM
Well, odds are good that Julio Scoundrel was a Bard before being a Dashing Swordsman.

He probably had ranks in Perform (Seduction).:smalltongue:

fangthane
2009-07-15, 01:30 PM
Shouldn't there be 4 uses of the word "where" in the subject line? (in addition to the verb conjugation thing)

You know, for the sake of making it more bardlike. :smallbiggrin:

The truth is that the bards are absent from the comic because Rich knows I'm right. Bards are way overpowered (under the correct circumstances), and with more than their peripheral involvement in the comic even the author himself would have trouble with the Fascination saves*. He knows as well as I do that a competent bard is a real threat to his storyline as planned, and as a result he has yet to include one in the story. He was ok with Elan though - only competent bards are a real threat to story continuity. :smallwink:

Granted, they're weaker in dungeon crawls, but still. You think they'd even have needed a trial if Elan was optimised?
:elan: You don't need to see our identification.
:miko: I don't need to see your identification.
:elan: These aren't the druids you're looking for.
:miko: These aren't the druids I'm looking for.
:elan: We can go about our business.
:miko: You can go about your business.
:elan: Hmm, I still have some suggestions left. You say you represent an order of Paladins? Great; the real enemy is a lich named Xykon. Keep that in mind on your journey back home.

But, as previously noted, that would have invalidated quite a lot of plot which I've very much enjoyed.

*Seriously, with good skills and stats a bard can easily Fascinate higher-level characters, without anyone even realising it's happened. A quick suggestion to the shopkeeper that he can "make a deal for such a good customer" and occasionally even take a loss, or to the Lord (or representative) that reasonable adventuring expenses can be drawn on the exchequer, that sort of thing. Reasonable can always be redefined to our benefit later. ;) Fascination/suggestion is near-broken if used properly; I usually talk detente with the DM prior to playing a bard. "I won't invalidate all your town encounters as long as you don't invalidate my bard in the dungeons." :smallbiggrin:

Thanatosia
2009-07-15, 02:11 PM
Granted, they're weaker in dungeon crawls, but still. You think they'd even have needed a trial if Elan was optimised?
If Elan was optimized to not be an idiot, he would have never touched the self-destruct rune in the Dungeon of Duroton, thus never alerting the Sapphire Guard or sending Miko in the first place.

David Argall
2009-07-15, 02:19 PM
BTW while we have seen a LOT of Paladins, all of them belonged to the same Order... have we seen a single non-shappire guard Paladin out there?

2 in Origin, and two in 413, for a probable total of 3.

fangthane
2009-07-15, 02:23 PM
Mmm. Hadn't considered that, but you're right. Most of my bards have 17+ cha, 14+ int and dex if the rolls support it, and otherwise they tend not to be bards. But none would have been foolish enough to press the self-destruct before telling people to run. Something like "Run as if your life depended on it, because in 6 seconds it will." :smallbiggrin:

He might still have pressed it to get the cool "running-from-the-explosion" scene, but he'd have waited until everyone was ready at the very least.

Side note, I appear to have successfully Fascinated Tribble and landed at least two Suggestions. Go, me! I'm a level 6 bard! ;)

Elfin
2009-07-15, 02:26 PM
There's supposed to be a fourth "where" in there...

also, there's only been one ranger, hasn't there? unless i'm forgetting someone...

Elven ranger in OOTS #357, last panel.

Tyrmatt
2009-07-15, 02:45 PM
I'd imagine the Girard Draketooth also had some levels in Ranger if he was a tracker for the OotScribble.
But yeah, Bards can achieve insane, story derailing power if they know what they're doing. The point is that Elan is too unfocused to achieve this. That said, look how he broke the goblin kids' morale in the dungeon with his psuedo-Intimidate check.
On the other hand, I'd like to see Elan convince someone they were a waffle :)

Thanatos 51-50
2009-07-15, 02:53 PM
They're all busy converting themselves to Fourth edition and trying to cope with being even *more* badass.

Seriously, 4e bards, like 3.x, are nuts.

Zherog
2009-07-15, 02:59 PM
Well, odds are good that Julio Scoundrel was a Bard before being a Dashing Swordsman. I mean, he was no sorceror, and I can't thing of any other class that would use Charisma as his strong stat apart from a Bard. Of course there is no solid documentation about this so...

You can build a decent (but not great) rogue by focusing on Charisma first, especially for an urban-themed game.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-15, 08:58 PM
And these are just the ones we know for sure what are in the comic (not counting books). Didn't even include those we don't know if were sorcerer or wizard, fighter or ranger or rogue, etc. Only one I haven't seen at least two of besides bard is monk, and I don't know if Miko is the only one with a level or three in it or if I missed one.

So, yes, there 'are' quite a few PC classes shown so far.

Barbarian
Gortok (#132)
Hak-Tonog (#133)
Kraagor (#276)
Kuurk (#133)
Lokor (#133)
Thog (#43)

Bards
Elan (#1)

Clerics
Cleric of Loki (#602)
Durkon (#1)
Hilgya (#43)
Hiram (#122)
Priest of the 12 Gods (#456)
Redcloak (#23)
Tsukiko (#420)
Unnamed Goblin (#11)
Unnamed Goblin 2 (#90)

Druid
Leeky (#344)
Lirian (#276)

We also have only seen 2-3 fighters
Fighters
Daigo (#472)
Horace (#497)
Kazumi (#472)
Nale (#34)
O'chul (#403)
Roy (#1)
Thog (#43)

Monk
Miko (#120)

Ninja
Therkla (#506)
Unnamed Goblins (#3)
Waitress (#312)

Paladin
Hinjo (#265)
Lien (#473)
Miko (#120)
O'chul (#403)
Soon Kim (#276)
Thanh (#512)

Psion
Blue (#546)
Little Psion That Could (#494)

Ranger
Belkar (#1)
Yikyik (#43)

Rogues
Bozzok (#580)
Haley (#1)
Nale (#43)
Serini (#276)

Sorcerers
Jephton (#633)
Nale (#34)
Samantha (#159)
Xykon (#23)

...and not many Wizards, either.
Wizards
Aarindarius (#630)
Eugene (#39)
Dorukan (#276)
Julia (#256)
Larry Gardener (#253)
Officially Nameless Wizard (#340)
Pompey (#254)
Tsukiko (#420)
Vaarsuvius (#1)
Zz'dtri (#43)

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-15, 09:09 PM
Side note, I appear to have successfully Fascinated Tribble and landed at least two Suggestions. Go, me! I'm a level 6 bard! ;)
Hmm? dgdghdegdgdgdgdgdgdgdg

Milskidasith
2009-07-15, 10:26 PM
You missed a barbarian: Belkar!

SadisticFishing
2009-07-15, 10:38 PM
Oopsies, you win.

DnDgeek13
2009-07-16, 12:27 AM
off the top of my head,the named people and guilds
Barbarian:belkar, thog, barbarians guild
Bard:Elan, Jenny(belkar's harpist), and possibly Julio scoundrel
Cleric:durkon, hilgya, Red cloak, jirix
Druid:Leeky windstaff
Fighter:Roy, thog(2 levels)O-chul, Nale, Yok Yok(I think), Horace
Monk:Miko
Paladin:sapphire guard
Ranger:Belkar, Yik yik
Rogue:Haley, thieves guild, Nale
Sorcerer:Xykon, Samantha, Nale, Celia
Wizard:Vaarsuvius, Zz'dtri, Julia, Pompey

i might have missed some but this was from the top of my head.

Nevadie
2009-07-16, 03:30 AM
Dont forget about the unnamed fighter from the Thieves guild "Outreach Program".

oball
2009-07-16, 04:28 AM
The unnamed fighter named Yor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0615.html)?

Souhiro
2009-07-16, 04:34 AM
I think that bards are hiding. Because a bard is the usually "Average-in-all, Good-in-nothing" class. So, only Elan has the courage (or just have the head too empty) to go on adventures.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-16, 04:53 AM
The unnamed fighter named Yor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0615.html)?
I don't recall them saying what he is. Could be a barbarian.

DnDgeek13
2009-07-16, 05:36 AM
I don't recall them saying what he is. Could be a barbarian.

they do say fighter outreach program and i did forget about him.

mikeejimbo
2009-07-16, 06:45 AM
If Elan was optimized to not be an idiot, he would have never touched the self-destruct rune in the Dungeon of Duroton, thus never alerting the Sapphire Guard or sending Miko in the first place.

Meaning that the OOTS would never have known about the importance of the gates, which means the world would be doomed!

MoonBeam
2009-07-16, 07:02 AM
Fighters
Daigo (#472)
Kazumi (#472)

Are you sure Daigo and Kazumi were fighters? :smallconfused: Is there a strip where there is explicitly stated this?

I always thought they were monks... Kick-ass monks, to be precise! :smallbiggrin:

Rae Artemi
2009-07-16, 08:13 AM
Are you sure Daigo and Kazumi were fighters? :smallconfused: Is there a strip where there is explicitly stated this?

I always thought they were monks... Kick-ass monks, to be precise! :smallbiggrin:

I think daigo is most likely a fighter, but I think Kazumi may have some ranger in there somewhere, as she's been shown to use 2 weapon's pretty well.