PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Is there such a weapon?

Warclam
2009-07-15, 09:04 AM
I realize this is a bit of a long shot, but is there a finessable reach weapon that is neither two-handed nor exotic? I want a reach weapon for a Weapon Finesse buckler-using character, but I'd rather not burn a feat on Kusari-Gama proficiency.

Duke of URL
2009-07-15, 09:12 AM
The only one I can think of isn't a purchasable weapon, but is the eldritch glaive shape that a Warlock can select. For reach and finesse, I'm pretty sure you'd have to go with exotic weapons.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-15, 09:13 AM
I realize this is a bit of a long shot, but is there a finessable reach weapon that is neither two-handed nor exotic? I want a reach weapon for a Weapon Finesse buckler-using character, but I'd rather not burn a feat on Kusari-Gama proficiency.

Nope. The combination of both reach, finesse, and a one-handed weapon would be a little powerful for a simple or martial weapon, in my mind. Sorry.

KillianHawkeye
2009-07-15, 09:17 AM
I think that's pretty unlikely. Pretty much any reach weapon that's finesseable is going to be exotic, regardless of being one- or two-handed. Also, reach weapons are generally two-handed.

For example, the whip is an exotic weapon with a 15-foot reach. Unlike most reach weapons, it can be used against targets anywhere within its range, and it is finesseable. If you have a spare level, you can gain whip proficiency without using a feat by taking a level in Bard. You're not going to get much closer to what you asked for than that, I'm afraid, unless there's something in a setting specific book that I'm not familiar with.

Telonius
2009-07-15, 09:34 AM
Again, requires a spare level (and a bunch of skill investment), but Master of Masks can get you proficiency in all weapons if you pick the right mask.

Yora
2009-07-15, 09:35 AM
A throwing weapon should do the job.

sofawall
2009-07-15, 01:16 PM
Would the Feycraft template be of use here?

Of course, the hardest bit will be finding a one-handed non-exotic reach weapon, but w/e.

hamishspence
2009-07-15, 01:19 PM
While (as far as I know) there are no martial ones, there are some pretty good exotic ones.

Kusuri-gama in DMG is one handed, reach, light (Hence finessable) and can do disarms, trips, etc as if it was a spiked chain. It also works within range, like a spiked chain. And does lethal (slashing) damage.

Probably the closest fit.

Starbuck_II
2009-07-15, 01:24 PM
Isn't there a magic enhancement that grants proficiency. Skilled I think (also grants minimum 3/4th bab with weapon).

There is also scrolls of Master's touch (grants proficiency in any 1 specfic weapon and armor), but that can get expensive to use one every battle.

hamishspence
2009-07-15, 01:29 PM
Skillful (spelled as in the book- Complete Arcane) +2 property.

Sinfire Titan
2009-07-15, 01:57 PM
While (as far as I know) there are no martial ones, there are some pretty good exotic ones.

Kusuri-gama in DMG is one handed, reach, light (Hence finessable) and can do disarms, trips, etc as if it was a spiked chain. It also works within range, like a spiked chain. And does lethal (slashing) damage.

Probably the closest fit.

There's also the Spinning Sword in Secrets of Sarlona.

CArc has the Skilled enhancement that grants you proficiency with the weapon (+2).

Irreverent Fool
2009-07-15, 06:42 PM
A throwing weapon should do the job.

This. Add returning to it or something. You don't threaten, but otherwise does exactly what you want your melee weapon to do. You use your dexterity to hit, add your strength to damage, and can attack at range.

For example, the whip is an exotic weapon with a 15-foot reach. Unlike most reach weapons, it can be used against targets anywhere within its range, and it is finesseable. If you have a spare level, you can gain whip proficiency without using a feat by taking a level in Bard. You're not going to get much closer to what you asked for than that, I'm afraid, unless there's something in a setting specific book that I'm not familiar with.

If you're going to take a level in bard, there is also a 1st-level Bard/Sor/Wiz spell called Master's Touch which -- as a swift action -- grants you proficiency with a weapon you are currently holding. It lasts 1 minute per level, which is plenty of time in combat even at CL1. If you've got the funds and a pet wizard to do research, maybe you could even get it made permanent.

Edit: My mistake. Bards can't get 1st-level spells until 2nd level.

obnoxious
sig

ericgrau
2009-07-15, 08:36 PM
Bard, whip. Downside: not for damage. EDIT: but yes for trips & certain disarms.

Badgercloak
2009-07-15, 09:45 PM
I don't believe so but here are some alteratives.

Whip. PHB
Nagaika: a whip that deals slashing damage. Exotic weapon proficiency. Masters of the wild
Mighty Nagaika: As above, the Str+ like a comp. bow. Masters of the wild.
The aforementioned Kursuri-gama. DMG.

If you find a weapon that you like you can get the proficient special ability. No nonproficient penalties. +2 bonus. Arms and Equipment guide.

Also if you want to the balanced weapon ability states "A balanced weapon can be weilded more easily by smaller characters. A creature one size smaller than the weapon can use it in one hand. For example a halfling could weild a balanced battleaxe in one hand." +2 bonus.

Since that was 3e when weapons were classified by size; a medium human could weild a large spear one handed. Now, 3.5 atleast as far as I know, the amount of effort to weild a weapon is light, one handed, two handed. It seems reasonable that for 3.5 the balanced ability would state that you could weild a two handed weapon as a one handed weapon.

Hope this helps.

mabriss lethe
2009-07-15, 10:11 PM
maybe a tentacle whip from Eberron?

Though not readily purchasable, it's considered to be worth 8K of your wealth by level. finessable, I believe. It doesn't deal much damage, (1d4)but it deals poison damage on top of that, grants you a +4 bonus to both trip and disarm attempts and can channel touch effects. It's a pretty nasty customer in the right character's hands. (spellthieves especially.) It has some penalties, (ego score as per intellegent items and deals 1 pt of dex damage to the wearer a day...effectively a 1 point penalty to dex since you normally heal 1 point of ability damage per day.)but if I remember correctly, once you bond with it, you're considered to be proficient in its use.

There's also the whipdagger (or something like that from...sword and fist? something 3.0.) anyone proficient with a whip was proficient with it as well. treat the same as a whip, but it deals damage normally. If a DM will allow it, it makes a dip into bard fairly worthwhile.

Darrin
2009-07-15, 10:45 PM

Hmm. Try using a small-sized feycraft glaive. Yes, you can't get rid of the -2 size penalty and the damage drops to 1d6, but you can use it one-handed, it still has reach, and feycraft (DMGII p. 275, +1500 GP) allows it to be finessable. You can keep the damage up a bit by picking up Strongarm Bracers (MIC p. 139, 6000 GP) and using a medium-sized feycraft glaive.

Otherwise, as Irreverent Fool suggests, a continuous item of Master's Touch should only cost about 4000 GP.

Curmudgeon
2009-07-16, 06:00 AM
Otherwise, as Irreverent Fool suggests, a continuous item of Master's Touch should only cost about 4000 GP. Nope. That's the last approach to pricing. Before that you come across emulating a feat, for which the suggested minimum price is 10,000 gp (Arms and Equipment Guide). You can't have this at the "continuous spell" price any more than you can have True Strike.

Person_Man
2009-07-16, 10:50 AM
Natural Weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29095) count count as one handed weapons, can be used with Weapon Finesse and Power Attack, and can gain reach via the following methods:

Play a big race (try to avoid LA)
Polymorph: Ask a friend to turn you into something bigger.
Expansion (doesn't stack with Enlarge Person): +1 or +2 size.
Alter Self (doesn't stack with Enlarge Person or Expansion): +1 size.
Giant Size (Wu Jen 7, Comp Arcane pg 109): Grow to Huge size or bigger.
Willing Deformity -> Deformity Tall (Heroes of Horror): +5 ft.
Aberration Blood -> Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness): +5 ft.
Extended Reach (req tentacle like limbs, provided by Inhuman Reach): +5 ft.
3 levels of Warshaper (Comp Warrior): +5 ft, but only with natural weapons.

Buy a Wand of Alter Self or Polymorph, and turn yourself into something Large or bigger with natural weapons, and you should be set.

Warclam
2009-07-16, 11:26 AM
Thanks, all. I'm not sure if any of this will work for the character I was thinking of, but it's certainly an impressive list of workarounds. If I'm ever having this problem again, I'll try one of these before finishing my build.