PDA

View Full Version : RPG "Video" Game Story Help: FR 3.5 Setting

Silent Musician
2009-07-15, 11:34 AM
Currently, I'm writing a backstory for a game I'm planning, and it involves the Forgotten Realms setting, mainly the sections of the west border of Faerun: Icewind Dale, The Moonshaes, Sword Coast North, Waterdeep, The Sword Coast, The Savage Frontier, High Forest, Silver Marshes, The Western Heartlands, Unclaimed land between The sword coast and Evereska, Evereska, and the southwestern portion of Anauroch.

Let me go ahead and tell you that this is actually for an rpg "video" game I am making to cover the Forgotten Realms setting me and a few friends of mine have played in for years, and am making this game as a way to commemorate our characters, having them interact with the main character in carrying his and their stories out along the way. I figured this forum was the best place to put this, since it's still technically adventure/ campaign writing.

My problem is actually composing the story itself. I have the Forgotten Realms books, including the main one, but it's quite trivial to compose a story that will have the players feel both involved in the main characters story and having the land's history somewhat tied into it.

I haven't connected the dots yet of my story, but here are the things I want to be set in the story, either way:

The main character is named Arion, a man who carries around a cursed sword that he doesn't want anyone to bear the burden of but himself.

This cursed sword was forged by his father, Linux, who inevitably had to create it to help a king fight against a horde of monsters that tried to invade the Western Heartlands.

This king's name is Deveath (will change to something less cliche later), a man who loathed his father's will to keep the kingdom from amassing a great military, thus his father was a pacifist. When his father died, Deveath finally took up the title and immediately began gathering power to make the kingdom of Dareska more formidable to possible attacks. Deveath hated weakness.

Viare is a Sun Elf from the city of Evereska who planned the creation of two swords: Exile and Excel (only temporary names until I come up with something better suited), two twin swords that, when together and used by someone of great will to not succumb to its tainted power, can easily make them a deity of the realms. Due to the high quality of such magical items, only the most skilled of blacksmiths could forge it.

Linux and his brother, Heather, are the two most famous blacksmiths in the western part of Faerun, mainly because they were apprentices to a legendary dwarven blacksmith named Axeburg. In addition, they had magical crafting items that allowed them to forge and repair both normal and magical items.

Viare seeked them out to forge these weapons under the guise of a noble of The Sword Coast, but they refused due to the implications of such weapons.

Heather has always seen Linux as the better, and thus envious of the man's better skills. He reconsidered the weapon creation and decided to go and design the weapons himself for the client in an effort to prove that he was just as skilled as Linux. Linux was never aware of this rivalry.

Heather succeeded in creating the first of the two swords, Exile. When he tested its power, however, he suddenly caused some mishap that has locked him and the location of the creation in animation for the time being. Basically, time stopped. Viare left this remote area for the time being, until he could get the other sword forged, in which he would then find a way to break this high level power and obtain Exile from Heather's hands.

Linux ends up in Dareska with the request to forge weapons for his army. Knowing of the location, Viare needed to find a way to force Linux to forge the powerful replica, Excel. Thus, he cooperates in some way with some dark outsider to bring along an army of endless monsters to attack Dareska. In an effort to save the land, Viare, under the guise of a magister for Deveath, convinces Linux to make Excel and save the land.

Linux ends up doing just this and the army is wiped out after using the sword's cursed power, which had the ability of wiping out a large area with a powerful pulse. However, at the cost of making the wielder go unconscious for two to three hours. When the weapon was used, Linux decided to lock it away so that no one will ever make use of its power.

Arion is Linux's son, born in Dareska. Raised to the age of 8, when tragedy struck with Deveath killing Linux in order to obtain Excel. Arion ends up scorching Deveath's face with hot boiling water and runs off with the weapon.

Ever since, Deveath has hired the popular The Ravens thief guild to pursue Arion and return the sword to him.

Arion has been on the run ever since, fighting for his life while living as a mercenary.

Meanwhile, Viara keeps in his double life as a noble of Evereska and a magister for Deveath, still looking for a way to break Exile's curse on Heather, while keeping his eyes on Arion through both political means and the Ravens guild association with Deveath.

In any event, how do you think I can fit these all together fluidly and with some depth to it.