PDA

View Full Version : A feat that probably isn't worth it

Lysander
2005-10-05, 01:48 AM
Here's an idea for a feat that though interesting is so specific I think it's nearly worthless:

Magicians's Immunity

Pick any spell you know how to cast. You gain +50 spell resistance to this specific spell. You may take this feat multiple times.

MrNexx
2005-10-05, 02:00 AM
Actually, I don't think it's too bad... you just need to pick very carefully. For example, it comes in handy for, say Power Word: Kill, or Dominate Person. As a vampire cleric, immunity to Heal would be pretty big on my list.

My only suggestion is to make some more concrete requirements... make sure they're level 7 or something, so its not just picked up by everyone with a spell level or two.

SpiderBrigade
2005-10-05, 02:08 AM
Hmm. If you included that in the wizard's bonus feat list...a level 20 could be immune to 12 spells, of widely varying levels. I'm sure someone would try to break that but I don't think it's really possible.

IMO the main problem with the feat is the inhuman burden on the DM to not metagame. IE is his main boss going to choose Fireball or Lightning Bolt? Can he be sure that on some level he didn't pick Fireball because he knows you have Magician's Immunity: Lightning Bolt?

SpiderBrigade
2005-10-05, 02:10 AM
My only suggestion is to make some more concrete requirements... make sure they're level 7 or something, so its not just picked up by everyone with a spell level or two I think that's pretty much handled by the requirement that it's a spell you can cast. I mean, immunity to burning hands? Not such a big deal. Magic Missile would be nice, but broken at the cost of a level dip AND a feat? Probably not.

MrNexx
2005-10-05, 02:15 AM
I think that's pretty much handled by the requirement that it's a spell you can cast. I mean, immunity to burning hands? Not such a big deal. Magic Missile would be nice, but broken at the cost of a level dip AND a feat? Probably not.

Agreed.

ccelizic
2005-10-05, 02:39 AM
It's actually intense enough that I'd nerf it slightly.

I'd change the spell resistance to be related to character level.

I'd set the SR on the spell in question equal to 20+character level

I think it should be set so anything your level or lower it is practically impossible for them to hit you with that spell. As the caster in question gets above your level, or gets spell penetration, the odds of actually making the spell stick should increase greatly.

At least this way you don't have some flat obscene near impossible to hit number. But at the same time it's near practical immunity to something equal to your CR. You dig?

So, if you got an immunity to magic missile at level 5, and a level 5 sorceror wants to tag you with missiles, she'd have to roll 20 to hit you. If a level 10 sorc wnated to tag you with the missiles she'd have to roll a 15. If a level 15 sorc wanted to hit you with magile missiles It'd require a roll of 10, at least under my proposed edit. As you can see, things severely overpowering will be able to overcome that DR, but in those cases you have bigger issues then bypassed DR, you are probably in deep trouble at that time.

Esclados
2005-10-05, 03:14 AM
Eh. I don't see anything either particularly overpowering or compelling about it. I mean, I guess a warmage could pick fireball and wade in and sling them point-blank (i do not lower my own resistance!), but that's about it. Eh. There's lots of other stuff to do with the limited feats a spellcaster has.

squishycube
2005-10-05, 03:28 AM
Esclados brings up a very interesting possibility for the Power Gamers among us :-). But even with that possibilty I don't find it overpowering. Certainly not with the proposed nerf.

PinkysBrain
2005-10-05, 04:46 AM
It would really break something like the Frenzied Berserker, who's main problem in Deathless Frenzy are instant death spells.

Lysander
2005-10-05, 08:22 AM
The reason I made the spell resistance obscenely high was that if someone is using up a feat they should get something pretty potent for it.

The thinking behind the feat is this: if a caster is uniquely familiar with the magic being used against them it should be pretty simple for them to know how to stop it. But I didn't make it outright immunity because an epicly powerful wizard should be able to outdo a lesser expert.

MrNexx
2005-10-05, 08:51 AM
It would really break something like the Frenzied Berserker, who's main problem in Deathless Frenzy are instant death spells.

Yeah, but he'd have to be a FB who can cast those death spells, which is unlikely.

However, the language of the feat triggers something in me. You might want to change it from "you know how to cast" to "you know and can cast". By the current wording, Warmages can start with any spell on their spell list, and a 1st level wizard who learns PWK can get it for that spell... because they know how to cast it, even if they're years away from having the ability to.

Lysander
2005-10-05, 08:56 AM
Agreed. It's just meant for people who can cast the spell.

Dhavaer
2006-07-28, 03:24 AM
I like it.